FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've posted before -

CA's possible defense -

"I was just joking/venting about killing DM. KM went behind my back and hired someone to do it to ingratiate herself to me! I paid them and played along because of what I thought were gang threats to my life and my family's life."

DA's possible defense -

"I knew nothing. I just went along and did whatever CA told me to do."

Thursday, Oct. 12th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 11:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23. (3 to 5 days for jury sel to 10/25)
Trial set to begin on 10/26/23. (thru 11/9/23).
Judge Stephen Everett presiding.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/3/23 reference post #158 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-murdered-by-hitmen-1-guilty-14.675427/page-8

10/4/23 Update: Judge Steven Everett's Order to Show Cause. Ordered that Harvey & Donna Adelson (or their attorney) be cited to appear at the Leon County Courthouse in person or by zoom on 10/9/23 & then & there show cause why they should not be adjudged guilty of contempt of this Court & punished accordingly for failing to comply with the State's investigative subpoenas.
10/5/23 Update: order to show cause hearing won't happen until 10/12/23 @ 11:30am. HA & DA's attorney filed a motion asking that the hearing be held remotely on October 12 due to her schedule. She said that Cappelman doesn't oppose her request. She also said that they have tenatively rescheduled the Adelsons' interviews for Oct. 17 in the event the court compels them to testify.
10/5/23 Update: Defendant Adelson's Motion to enforce Court's Discovery deadline. Motion to preclude enforcement of the investigative subpoenas served on HA & DA on the grounds that they fall outside the September 22 discovery deadline filed by Daniel L. Rashbaum.
10/6/23 Update: State's Response to Defendant's Motion to Enforce Discovery Deadline. The State filed the attached response to the Defense's attempt to block the HA & DA investigatory subpoenas on the ground that the discovery deadline has passed. The State also filed a notice today saying they are going to depose Gary Cohen on Oct. 10 in West Palm Beach.
10/9/23 Update: Motions hearing: Defense argument: The defense wants wiretaps excluded from trial. State’s argument: Assistant State Attorney Rachel Jankowski responded to Meyers. Judge’s decision: Pending. Judge Everett asked multiple follow-up questions of Jankowski, clarifying that the bump was expected to provide evidence of the murder as well as fresh evidence of attempts to conceal the completed crime. He will be reviewing additional case law provided by State & Defense & then provide his ruling.
Can the “enhanced” Dolce Vita recording be played for jurors? Judge’s decision: The McElveen enhancement is admissible.
Can the first few minutes of the Dolce Vita recording be played for jurors? Background: By the time the enhanced recording begins, Charlie & Katie are already into their dialogue. The first thing that can be heard is Charlie saying, “If they had any evidence, we would have already gone to the airport.” Judge’s decision: The first few minutes of “Dolce Vita” will be admissible.
Can the Dolce Vita transcript be shown to jurors? Judge’s decision: The transcript will not be admissible.
Can Jeff Lacasse tell the jury that Wendi admitted her brother Charlie had seriously looked into hiring hit men the prior summer? Judge’s decision: Lacasse can share what he heard, but only for impeachment purposes.
Can Dan and Wendi’s divorce filings be shared with the jury? Judge’s decision: The divorce records will be admitted.
Can June Umchinda share that Donna felt “haunted” by Dan Markel? Judge’s decision: The Judge will give the State a day to see if there’s any additional evidence regarding Charlie’s specific state of mind — but is leaning toward “hauntings” being excluded.
Rulings on a few issues remain outstanding, the largest being whether the wiretaps will be admissible. Other outstanding decisions include whether a transcript of a recording of Charlie & Harvey at a sushi restaurant (“Matsuri”) may be shared, and if Umchinda may disclose that Donna felt “haunted” by Charlie.
Beyond these issues, Everett denied the ability for the Defense team to use a special questionnaire during jury selection & will allow jurors to use headphones when listening to audio.
Finally, Everett will hear arguments on Thursday,
10/12/23 at 11:30 a.m. regarding whether Donna & Harvey Adelson should be forced to sit for investigative interviews, or if they can be held in contempt of court for refusing to do so.
*Katharine Diana Magbanua (32/now 38) – 5/27/22: Found guilty on ALL charges Sentenced on 7/29/22 for murder LWOP & for conspiracy & solicitation two 30 consecutive years in prison. 8/4/22: Magbanua has transitioned to the FL Department of Corrections Women's Reception Center in Ocala, thus ending a very lengthy six-year stay in the Leon County Jail.
*Sigfredo Garcia (34/now 40) – 10/10/19: Found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh. His appeal was denied.
*Luis Rivera (33/now 39) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Testified against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged any of these people in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, except Charlie; but say Adelson’s mother & brother – Donna & Charlie Adelson – paid $100K to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

So...another win for the State. Donna and Harvey have to show up to be interviewed on Oct. 17 or face "next steps". Georgia argued that how does she know if she will call them as a witness since she has no idea what they will say as they've skirted interviews since the murder? Will be interesting to see what chess move they make. Also very interesting Rashbaum appeared so emotional over them and they're not even his clients.

So...another win for the State. Donna and Harvey have to show up to be interviewed on Oct. 17 or face "next steps". Georgia argued that how does she know if she will call them as a witness since she has no idea what they will say as they've skirted interviews since the murder? Will be interesting to see what chess move they make. Also very interesting Rashbaum appeared so emotional over them and they're not even his clients.
That's because Rashbaum used to represent Donna, which is a complete conflict of interest IMHO.

Last edited:
I had trouble hearing the other vids of today's hearing. This one seems better

The Judge didn't flinch and he didn't allow the D to put words in his mouth.

Mr and Ms Adelson must be produced for interviews on Oct 17, 2023 whether or not the Prosecutor will use them as witnesses in the CA trial. GC argued the State does not know yet what information the Adelson's interviews may produce; thus, the State may or may not call them as trial witnesses.

Interviews w/ Adelson's will begin at 1:30pm on Oct 17
D states the A's will appear; negating need for contempt action

This was one of the motions that were pending...

Oct. 13, 2023

Well - I can not read this article - anyone? maybe a 10% synopsis? TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfwbnfts