FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IANAL. Can the counsel now asking to withdraw from this case be cited for this conduct? And for the likely delay to result from it? How is this only a matter indicated at this point by this action in the court record today? Maybe it should be referred to FL Office of Disciplinary Council (or the FL state equivalent).

There seems to be some similar questionable conduct by another defendant Sarah Boone in a different Florida courtroom. Are there some judicial shortcomings there in Florida that need to be assessed? MOO
I haven't seen anything that would rise to the level of disciplinary action. I noted the judge said he was charging the defense for the disruption of the trial. I'm not sure what expenses might be assessed, but if I were the defense I'd be more concerned with the enmity that has clearly been created with the judge.

No surprise here. Rashbaum knew he never had a signed waiver from CA. He should have never been allowed to represent DA after he represented CA….as all of this is so intertwined.

moo
I saw on Steinbeck’s livestream that he technically was retained by DA before ever getting involved to represent CA.

If that’s the case (and I’ve got no reason to doubt Carl), what a tangled web…

I've enjoyed your contributions to the discussion and will look forward to your posts during the trial. This is a great community, and I look forward to the trial whenever it occurs.

Appreciate your kind words, I think you are in small company :)... I try to be impartial and objective and it seems ‘many’ in this community don’t like that. I should stress that it’s really ‘other’ places that are not very tolerant of someone willing to provide objective analysis – I do like the higher standard here on this platform :)

I saw on Steinbeck’s livestream that he technically was retained by DA before ever getting involved to represent CA.

If that’s the case (and I’ve got no reason to doubt Carl), what a tangled web…
Yes. He’s been Donna’s lawyer since 2016. He was retained by her. Charlie had separate counsel, Markus. In my opinion the conflict was created in 2022 when Markus withdrew and Rashbaum became Charlie’s lawyer. At that point, in my opinion, he should have made it clear that he could no longer represent Donna should she be arrested and tried. He did not do that, apparently, nor did he obtain a signed waiver of the obvious conflict from either Donna or Charlie once he was retained to represent Donna again.

I just can’t believe this didn’t come up until now, on the eve of trial. Makes no sense to me that neither of the parties, nor Charlie’s counsel, raised the issue.

Last edited:

BREAKING: Attorney Rashbaum is withdrawing as #DonnaAdelson's attorney!​

TRIAL DELAYED! #DonnaAdelson loses her attorney. Co-counsel Alex Morris is not prepared to take over as lead counsel and judge is granting continuance.

Case management hearing scheduled for 10/15/24.

@cathyrusson
And there goes your request for a speedy trial Donna. You should have not insisted on Rashbaum.

Commentary

Tim J says that his sources told him that Donna was NOT told that Dan was withdrawing from her case.

She only found out while Dan was up at the lectern.

( No wonder she was crying)

PS I am Not Sherlock:
the topic of sanctions via the Bar came up during the earlier livestream with Prof Potuto & Tim J this afternoon. TJ had said that a lawyer might file a complaint to FLA bar. Potuto said that any investigation or sanction would only occur after the case is over. ( Bad publicity isn't good for a new jury, she said ) Maybe they will return to the topic in another STS show?

ETA
Potuto has joined this livestream now and adds that whatever happens re sanctions on DR, this is IHO a ' well deserved hit to his reputation.' Potuto is also asked whether DR should be allowed to have any comms with Donna from hereon. Potuto says no, shouldn't be allowed basically -Tim J agrees on that.

Potuto says DR shouldn't have been able to get the waiver - verbal or otherwise - from CA in the first place. IDK, IANAL, am just adding what the experts say.
' Horrendous lawyering' says Potuto ( Also she mentions the Kawass DaCoste rep of Magbanua as another example)

@Missyrocks5 Tim J makes the point you made, days ago. " Charlie smirked in his mugshot. I'm back'

Last edited:
Was CA asked to sign the waiver and declined, or not asked at all? TIA
Got it!

Rashbaum, who also represented Donna's son and convicted murderer Charlie Adelson, said he initially had a conflict waiver from Charlie, but he was unable to get an updated signed waiver.

"I have asked for my prior client's waiver again, and with the change of circumstances he refused to give it." Rashbaum said before withdrawing. "So we had a waiver, we thought we had a waiver, we didn't think there was an issue, but I given the events of the last two days, I approached appellate counsel to get a new waiver ... and I'm not able to obtain that waiver at this point, so at this point. So as a result I need to withdraw from the case."

LIVE Updates: Jury selection hits major snag in trial of Donna Adelson; attorney withdraws

9/17/2024

bbm
Because conflict issues are "so severe," Everett chose to not proceed with the trial, setting a case management hearing for Oct. 15 at 2:30 p.m.

Was CA asked to sign the waiver and declined, or not asked at all? TIA
unfortunately nobody knows - except Dan & Charlie - the answer to the Q of whether Dan asked CA at any point after Dec 13 2023 through to last weekend.

Yes he's asked CA for a signed written waiver but only in the last few days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renasalazar
Back