FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that there have been a number of reasons why WA has not been arrested yet. Initially it was lack of evidence, but then with the State adopting this strategy of arresting each co-conspirator one at a time, her logical position in the queue was after DA. Whenever there was a flurry of phone calls it all followed the same sequence SG to KM to CA to DA and then back up the chain again and that was the order of the arrests. I believe WA's arrest was imminent and she would have been arrested after DA's trial, but now the State have time and they don't need to be using resources for DA's trial, so I believe they will go after WA. If they don't arrest her in the next 6 weeks, I don't believe it will ever happen. If the case against her is so tenuous that they need her Mum's conviction to secure an indictment, then it's not going to happen. So really I'm hoping the fact she hasn't been arrested is a timing issue not an evidence issue.
I think that IF Donna takes a plea, and IF that involves Wendi somehow, then it will be easier for them to arrest her. I still think that they will need her if a trial for Donna is going forward.

I think a lot of lawyers become lobbyists, they’re familiar with the legislative process and how to represent people’s interests. I think it’s hard to do it if you dont have a law degree. Maybe he got tired of billable hours.
Ok. I didn’t realize that is what he did before being on the non profit for JFD. He does look too relaxed and seems to have lots of time in the day to be on the “lives” to have a job as a lawyer lol. Seems like a happy guy.

Theres so much politics going on in the case. I wonder if the Adelsons have some dirt on some people in high places.
What did you think of jack Campbell not wanting to disclose Jimenez’s (the UC) whereabouts (his press conference today),and Katiecoolady is talking about having dinner with him and Tim and Joel?

I seriously doubt they have dirt on anyone that matters. I think a good case can be made that politics may have played a role back in 2016, but what happened this week has nothing to do with politics – its just and the constitutional protections given to Donna resulting in the judicial process that unfolded and got in the way of a speedy trial. You can also blame it on poor decisions / planning and ‘potentially’ incompetence - IMO, not politics.

I find it strange that Harvey did not appear to me to be there the other day.
AMICUSCURIE , as always your posts often invoke thought deeper than just surface observation. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, if I was on trial for a crime, my spouse would be sitting in that courtroom. But then again, my spouse has never said a mean thing about anyone and loves his spouse/family with (oft frustrated) kindness...we are his world.
Everything feels so weird (to a seasoned sleuth) not seeing family members of accused in court. Hmmm, maybe it is different when the close family members are also unindicted co-conspirators? (Nah, my spouse would still be there.)

Ok. I didn’t realize that is what he did before being on the non profit for JFD. He does look too relaxed and seems to have lots of time in the day to be on the “lives” to have a job as a lawyer lol. Seems like a happy guy.

Well, he's a lobbyist for the alcohol industry, that could explain his disposition.

Tallahassee is loaded with lobbyists, they've turned many houses in the two-mile radius of the capital into offices. Not all lobbyists are attorneys but like has been mentioned, it helps to have a law degree when crafting suggested legislation.

I seriously doubt they have dirt on anyone that matters. I think a good case can be made that politics may have played a role back in 2016, but what happened this week has nothing to do with politics – its just and the constitutional protections given to Donna resulting in the judicial process that unfolded and got in the way of a speedy trial. You can also blame it on poor decisions / planning and ‘potentially’ incompetence - IMO, not politics.
Never said it was about what happened this week.

I guess you are allowed to attend even if you are an indicated co-conspirator, as we have seen Wendy watching while waiting to testify, right? So, that is not the reason.
There is usually a rule which prevents witnesses from hearing the testimony of other witnesses. The parties can decide to invoke that rule or waive it, as I understand. Usually, in my experience, they invoke it and the witnesses have to stay outside. It makes sense, because you don’t want their testimony to be influenced by others.

I believe she was the first witness on the day she testified, so that may be why she was in the courtroom waiting, but I could be wrong. But I think she definitely would not have been allowed to remain there afterward, I don’t think the state would have wanted that. I did notice Wendi left the courtroom right after her testimony, although I believe she was told she was still under subpoena and must remain in the area in case they needed to call her again. In Charlie’s case, they did call her again, because of an issue with whether what LaCasse said was admissible as impeachment.

As for Harvey, I don’t see why he would have been prevented from observing jury selection, but it’s possible the rule could be invoked for that as well, I guess, because the parties do explain some of their case during that process. Perhaps he was told that there was some doubt as to whether the trial would be going forward, or perhaps he was not planning on arriving for the first day. But, to me, it was odd.

Although I am sure there is no ethical obligation or duty to tell the financier of a criminal defense, in advance, you are resigning from your client's case on the day the jury is being selected. Did DR make a courtesy call to HA during the break? Hypothetically, of course, it might go something like this: I am calling to let you know I am no longer representing your wife, my client, on live coverage TV this afternoon....and it's all your son's fault.
"I had a waiver." then he he changes it to "I thought I had a waiver." Really? Glaringly, every one in the court spoke to DR in a moderated and civil manner; No screaming, arm waiving, eye rolls and over-the-top patonizing. Ironic, huh?
Peter Schorsch wrote FABULOUS & GO TO article, definitely one of the best!

Although I am sure there is no ethical obligation or duty to tell the financier of a criminal defense, in advance, you are resigning from your client's case on the day the jury is being selected. Did DR make a courtesy call to HA during the break? Hypothetically, of course, it might go something like this: I am calling to let you know I am no longer representing your wife, my client, on live coverage TV this afternoon....and it's all your son's fault.
"I had a waiver." then he he changes it to "I thought I had a waiver." Really? Glaringly, every one in the court spoke to DR in a moderated and civil manner; No screaming, arm waiving, eye rolls and over-the-top patonizing. Ironic, huh?
Peter Schorsch wrote FABULOUS & GO TO article, definitely one of the best!
So I am still not clear. Could the judge have prevented Rashbaum from representing Donna at the get go?

So I am still not clear. Could the judge have prevented Rashbaum from representing Donna at the get go?
Hi KP, in my opinion a judge can prevent/disallow anything before a trial even begins to ensure a fair trial. (The legal eagles will have to chime in.) Whether or not he did or wishes he did is moot now. It seems as if everyone was being forced/coerced to make sure DA got her special treatment and document every interaction with her to cover themselves. She has proven to be confrontational and demanding. Ya' know what they say, "Give Donna enough rope and.... " Guess Rashbaum should have documented all his interactions with her as well!
I'm sure DR is now saying to himself, This is the best worst mistake I ever made. He is a smart enough guy to find work even if he gets in trouble with the bar.

The mere existence of the word "conflict" or "conflicted" in anyone's mouth at the beginning of trial proceedings, should override the right to a choice of lawyer, and automatically result in the attorney being booted from the case if they don't remove themselves. Waivers, as we've discovered, mean nothing, signed or not. It is an automatic appeal issue akin to incompetence, because the attorney is incompetent if they can't represent your best interests. IMO

Would any lawyers here be willing to discuss the possibility of Wendi tried on perjury charges vs murder charges?
And also explain what the chances are on perjury due to the circumstances of her immunity? Thanks.
Could it be with Donnas delay the state would bring up perjury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025