FL - Girl, 2, left in hot car for hours after family returns from luncheon, Orange City, Volusia Co, 8 June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A 2-year-old girl died Thursday after reportedly being left in a hot car for hours in Volusia County.

According to the Volusia Sheriff's Office, a family left their home on Highland Drive in Orange City to grab a bite to eat for lunch in DeLand. They returned home shortly before 3 p.m. with the young girl and her two older brothers, ages 15 and 8.

Around 5 p.m., the girl's parents found her unresponsive and still in the car. Authorities said they drove her to a local hospital where she died shortly before 6 p.m.

The circumstances of the child’s death are under investigation.

The high temperature Thursday in the Orlando area was 91 degrees, the FOX 35 Storm Team said. The low was 84.

In DeLand specifically, the temperature was approximately in the high 80s.

Police say the parents and their four children went to lunch on Thursday, and when they got home they were unaware the two-year-old wasn't inside.

About three hours later, they returned to the car and realized the little girl was still in her car seat and was unresponsive.

No charges have been filed so far as the police investigation continues.

I'm really curious as to why they thought she was in the house for 2 hrs?

My grandson is 2 and I have to have eyes in the back of my head with him, so many bruises you wouldn't believe it, so I have to know where he is every second. I said to my daughter you better make sure he doesn't come up as missing because with all those bruises you're suspect number 1!

ETA: She agreed.

These incidents are so horrible. The poor baby. I’m not clear on why the parents didn’t notice a 2 year old wasn’t in the house for 3 hours? Wouldn’t you have expected to be changing a diaper or getting water or something for that child in that time?

So so sad.
Moo

How could you not miss seeing a two year old for two hours? Don’t you always have to keep an eye on a toddler at all times to make sure they aren’t getting into something?

Just crazy unbelievable.

JMO

According to the report, after approximately three hours, the family exited the residence to drive to a park to release a rabbit they had been rehabilitating. Once in the vehicle, they realized the toddler was still strapped in her car seat and was unresponsive.
Part of the 911 call is in the article. The hospital is about a mile from the house.

LE took the family’s pickup truck as part of the investigation and DCF is also involved.

It’s even more shocking that the parents only realized the 2 year old was missing when they went back to the pickup for another outing.

Both of the parents forgot? Even while gathering the family for another outing, no one thought of her? How horrible. What a moment for each member going to the car! Two parents and two children will never again see their little girl/sister.

Seriously, babies were "safer" when they sat in the front passenger seat right by the driver.

Where did this family think the child was during this time frame?! Geez, my toddlers always wanted a drink, snacks, tv shows, one was always into something. I Seriously never had THREE hours of silence.

Seriously, babies were "safer" when they sat in the front passenger seat right by the driver.

Where did this family think the child was during this time frame?! Geez, my toddlers always wanted a drink, snacks, tv shows, one was always into something. I Seriously never had THREE hours of silence.
Exactly.
If it was quiet for a few seconds, I had to go and check because it meant someone was getting into something !
Esp. our youngest child.
:rolleyes:

I check on my dog and cat more than some people check on their babies apparently. If I don’t see or hear them for more than a few minutes I go looking for them.

JMO

Also wondering : Didn't the 15 and 8 year old say something, like, hey !! (two year old) ___ is still in the car !!!
I thought the same thing, and then thought maybe the 15 and 8 year old had phones/devices, and left the car with no thought but their devices. Perhaps same with adults. Maybe the 4th child was an infant, and was with one of the parents?

Unfathomable though. This wasn't a "I went on autopilot, forgot to stop at daycare, so worried about a presentation at work" thing. This was a family outing and a family returning. Didn't that child matter at all?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotto
Back