FL - Girl, 2, left in hot car for hours after family returns from luncheon, Orange City, Volusia Co, 8 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't understand why car manufacturers or car seat makers haven't come up with something to prevent this. I know there are gadgets a parent can buy but no one thinks it will happen to them.

I would think it would be easy to design a car seat that, say, alarms when the engine goes off, until the latch is released. Or car windows that show the interior temperature when the engine is off, and alarm when it gets above X degrees (but only when a living being in inside). Or something along those lines.

Yes, and yes.

Newer Fords have a Check Back Seat warning sound & flashing graphic on the screen.

Same warning, whether there is absolutely nothing in the back seat, a 21 pound Corgi, or luggage for 2 adults for 10 days & a cooler with drinks & snacks.

Well certainly not what this guy did:

Call 911. Let first responders respond!

jmho ymmv lrr

It can take 15 minutes or more for first responders to arrive on scene. I don’t think I could wait that long if a child or pet was suffering in a hot car.

I don't understand why car manufacturers or car seat makers haven't come up with something to prevent this. I know there are gadgets a parent can buy but no one thinks it will happen to them.

I would think it would be easy to design a car seat that, say, alarms when the engine goes off, until the latch is released. Or car windows that show the interior temperature when the engine is off, and alarm when it gets above X degrees (but only when a living being in inside). Or something along those lines.

My 2021 Telluride has a motion sensor inside the vehicle that sounds the horn and flashes the lights if motion is detected inside the car, as well as a “check rear seat” alert that dings when you turn off the ignition.

It is so impossible to grasp that not just one, but both parents didn’t notice the absence of a two-year old. Certainly the 15-year old and even the 8- year old also should have found it very conspicuous that there was no two-year old running around.

I imagine the 15- year old could’ve been absorbed with teenage stuff, but anyway the responsibility lies on both and each parent.

Anyone who has ever had a two-year old around simply cannot miss them. Other than nap time, a two- year old is everywhere and into everything. Walking and talking in toddler speak. Climbing onto things, trying to get someone’s attention, wanting a snack, needing a diaper change, singing to themselves, whatever. It’s such a difficult age because they’re mobile and somewhat verbal but completely unaware of danger.

It would be IMO so overtly clear that there is no two-year old yapping and running around; I cannot fathom this story at all.

I personally do not subscribe to the notion that they needed a break and this is how they got it. They could’ve put the baby in a crib or playpen if they needed a respite, because children that age are exhausting, yes.

When my daughter was seven, my friend and I were at a shopping mall and my daughter and her little friend were right next to us. I glanced to the right, read a sign that said “Dep Shampoo $1.39,” then glanced back to the left and my daughter was nowhere. I started screaming for her through the mall and some wonderful teenager said he saw a little girl crying who was taken to the jewelry store. Ran in there and it was her. She had run around a kiosk in the flash of time that I read the shampoo sign, taken off in the wrong direction and gotten lost.

She is 41 now and I still get anxious recalling that moment, and she was seven, not two.

I just cannot understand, and as to the science regarding the brain and how this happens——to both parents and all siblings simultaneously?

Nope. Imo.

Last edited:

Most newer model vehicles do have Rear Seat Reminders now. My 2022 Toyota alerts me on my drivers dashboard screen when I turn the vehicle off ‘Attention: Check Rear Seat’. A loud alarm will sound when I open my drivers door if there’s any weight detected on the rear seats.

Attachments

• D7E138D7-2757-4CA7-A1AB-A1F1E9613A9C.jpeg
    D7E138D7-2757-4CA7-A1AB-A1F1E9613A9C.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 11
I have a two year old and can't imagine not noticing him running around the house, talking to me, getting into things, etc. Could the parents have been under the influence or something? And maybe the 8 year old and 15 year old immediately went to their rooms or went to hang out with friends and that's why they didn't realize the two year old wasn't around.

JMO need more details.

I wonder where they thought the two year old was as they were getting the bunny ready to take to the park to release. They got all the way into the car without the child before discovering her in her car seat. Two year olds don’t get themselves ready and out the door to the car for an excursion any more than bunnies do. Wouldn’t they have noticed she was nowhere in the house before walking out to the car? Telling 911 “We forgot she was in the car” doesn’t make sense. Where did they think she was when they prepared to leave? Off getting her nails done?!

JMO

@chipwhitley as to possibly being under the influence it would be interesting to know where they actually ate in DeLand. I know there are some really good Mexican restaurants that have very tasty margaritas over there.

Looking at the body cam video at the hospital (from video above) where the officers were taping off the area surrounding the pickup and then below that a picture of an example of a Silverado pickup, I guess the car seat would go in between the seats in the rear:

1686526299193.png

Example of 2023 rear passenger interior:

1686526339528.png

So I'm thinking the baby's car seat was sitting between the two kids (15 & 8 years) in the back. I wonder who usually put the baby in the car seat and took her out?

Trying to picture if the baby would have fallen asleep on the way home if the restaurant was only 15 minutes away.

If she was asleep, and after hearing about the rabbit, I'm wondering if they planned on going in the house to get the rabbit to leave again right away, and then decided to wait a while after going in the house? Did the parents go lay down for a while?

Could they be non-verbal autistic?
I would assume the parents would have said as much by now ?
As in;(paraphrasing what might have been said to LE: "The older siblings were unable to verbalize and so we just thought she was in the house ?" )
There are so many questions I have and tbh I'm wondering if there is anything hinky going on or a cover up ?
It boggles the mind to think they missed the two year old for that many hours.
From 2:40 to 5pm ?
And how far away was the hospital ?
I though someone said not that far, so if the child was declared deceased at 6pm, was it later than 5pm; that they brought the little one to the emergency room ?
Another question : Why bring her there and not call an ambulance so the emt's could work on saving the baby immediately ?
Js.
M00.

Colorado state law allows anyone to break into a car to rescue a pet or at risk person

“ In 2017, the Colorado General Assembly passed a new law, HB17-1179, which provides “immunity for a person who renders emergency assistance from a locked vehicle” – in other words, making it legal to break into a locked car to rescue a dog or cat, or an at-risk person.”

Colorado state law allows anyone to break into a car to rescue a pet or at risk person

“ In 2017, the Colorado General Assembly passed a new law, HB17-1179, which provides “immunity for a person who renders emergency assistance from a locked vehicle” – in other words, making it legal to break into a locked car to rescue a dog or cat, or an at-risk person.”

Tennessee has a similar law, passed in July 2014. It requires 911 be called and checking for easier entrance before breaking a window.

If you saw a child or pet in a hot car, what would you do?
If they seemed healthy and not in immediate danger, I would call LE. I did that once in Denver when I saw a dog in a car. If they seemed to be suffering from heat exposure, I'd break the car window if I could. Or get in some other way.

I think most people would do the same thing.

Another hot car death from a few months back. So sad as I’ve been trying to post threads with the different state laws and charges. This dad was arrested because a search warrant verified that there is a rear seat reminder safety alert in place in the SUV he was driving.

Last edited:
Another hot car dearth from a few months back. So sad as I’ve been trying to post threads with the different state laws and charges. This dad was arrested because a search warrant verified that there is a rear seat reminder safety alert in place in the SUV he was driving.
Also because cameras caught him very much NOT freaking out when he found his son dead. My word, that's cold. No urgency? I'd be frantically trying to breathe life back into that baby while screaming for help. And for the record, I am happy with my child-free existence, but I have a heart. I have an appreciation for the gift that children are, even at their most stress-making. How does a parent react with... no reaction? I can understand shock, but not nonchalance.

MOO

If I were the LE I would want the tox screen done on the parents, the time of toddler's death as precise as it is possible and the story checked thoroughly (the CCTV recordings from the spot they supposedly ate, for example). Something is off here, nobody forgets for over two hours they have a toddler.

This one is really difficult to understand. Six people were in the vehicle, yet only five got out of the car and went into the house.

Not one of the five others noticed that the two year old was missing, for three whole hours?

They saved and rehabilitated a rabbit, so they must be a caring family, right?

From the article: Police say the parents and their four children went to lunch on Thursday, and when they got home they were unaware the two-year-old wasn't inside.

About three hours later, they returned to the car and realized the little girl was still in her car seat and was unresponsive.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/a-toddler-in-volusia-county-florida-died-on-thursday-after-being-left-in-a-hot/article_ee6fe92a-07f5-11ee-ae1c-abc3495c65bb.html#:~:text=VOLUSIA%20COUNTY%2C%20FL%20—%20A%20two,daughter%20was%20in%20the%20car.%22

In a 911 call, a woman cries and yells and said she was taking her daughter to the hospital.

A 911 call taker asked what happened.

"We forgot that our daughter was in the car," the woman said.

The 911 operator tells her she needs her to pull over.

"No. I've got to go to the ... get to the hospital right now," the woman replied.

The operator asked again for her to pull over so she can give her CPR instructions.

The operator then asked whether the child was awake and breathing.

The woman said no.

The girl was driven to the hospital in a blue Chevrolet pickup, which was secured by deputies.

The incident occurred in Orange City on June 8 when a couple left their Highland Drive home to grab a bite to eat with their four children. The family made it back home, but left about three hours later to "drive to a park to release a rabbit they had been rehabilitating," deputies said. That's when the 32-year-old mom and 24-year-old dad realized their 2-year-old daughter was still in their Chevrolet pick-up truck.

She was still strapped in her car seat and was unresponsive, deputies said.

The parents told their three other children, ages 14, 13 and 8, to go back inside the house while they rushed to the hospital, the report states. Deputies responded to the call around 5:30 p.m. and met the family at AdventHealth Fish Memorial.

According to the report, the parents told the nurse they forgot their 2-year-old daughter in the car when they got home from lunch, where she'd been for hours. The child was pronounced dead at 5:52 p.m.

The Florida Department of Children and Families was contacted.
Heat_Related_Illness.jpg

*When will people start making their children their #1 priority? Will they never learn?:

Last edited:
I would suggest that they left the little girl asleep and just got on with their day. I can remember my toddler falling asleep in his stroller and I would wheel him into the house and let him sleep depending on the time of day.

The issue is that if they admit that then they are more culpable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back