FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, FL Keys,14 May 2017 #2 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hellmann’s relatives shared her suspicions of Bennett, documents show, and even admitted to authorities that, soon after Hellmann’s disappearance, they secretly placed two listening devices in the couple’s condo.

RS&BBM.

I either did read it wrong or it was badly worded.

It makes a lot more sense that the listening devices were planted after the murder.

I'm really struggling to understand this relationship. He was travelling overseas without even telling his wife?

I just hope the daughter is being well looked after.

A distraught grandmother throws herself on Lewis Bennett in the driveway of the woman's Boca Raton home.

"Don't take my baby. Don't take my baby," Amparo Alvarez sobs in Spanish before staggering away and collapsing. Inside Bennett’s car is the woman’s granddaughter.

"You already killed my sister. What else do you want. Do you want to kill my mom? Right now?" Dayana Rodriguez tells Bennett.

The tense exchange, captured on Boca Raton police body-camera video and obtained this week by The Palm Beach Post, came 13 days after Isabella Hellmann vanished at sea. Federal prosecutors also say Bennett killed her.

EXCLUSIVE: In video, grandmother begs missing Delray woman’s husband not to take baby

The first two minutes of this clip are very critical, IMO:
  1. Bennet brings Dayanna to the police office for the conversation -- Establishes dominance & authority
  2. There's a problem, it's in her ball park to make it better if she wants and there's one of two ways -- Establishes the situation is on her, puts the pressure on her -- Also establishes authority as in no other options
  3. Blames her for stealing stuff, WE have surveillance, WE have witnesses, I know you took a lot of stuff -- Dominating, acting as a united front with officer, giving her no options / cornering her
  4. It's not legal, it's not right, you went behind my back -- Establishing she is in the wrong, comes across as very self centered given the circumstances
  5. If you would have just asked, I would have given it to you -- Portraying himself as the good guy, the nice guy BUT this starts to show he's a LIAR because if he would have given it to them anyway /doesn't want it then why is he making this into such a big deal??
  6. He starts listing a bunch of expensive things he blames her/them for taking -- This further shows he wants the stuff and implies he wouldn't have given anything to them which contradicts his previous statement
  7. Dayana says she knows he's been throwing things out -- This she implies her justification for the actions without admitting to doing it, this is also the first time she speaks and Bennet hasn't even directly asked her for the things yet....
  8. Bennet denies throwing anything away, Dayana says the FBI told us he denies again and rambles -- She tries to establish the situation is more serious in this moment but the office doesn't catch it (actually I didn't realize she said this until I replayed it several times)
  9. Bennet mentions the engagement ring and says he could understand the other things but not this and Dayana cuts him off -- She establishes she's done talking and wanting to exit the situation. Establishes her authority in a very passive and calm way
  10. Bennet then asks for the stuff back at a min 48 seconds into the clip and she denies -- Very drawn out for something as simple as you took my things, give them back ... shows he's egotistical, domineering, etc.
Later in the video, there are three critical moments:
  1. Bennet's reaction when the very first accusation of him killing Isabella is uttered
  2. Bennet threatens the family they won't see Emelia if they aren't "better than this"
  3. Bennet's reaction when Isabella's mom hysterically hugs him in desperation not to take Emelia
  4. Bennet's reaction (or lack there of) when Isabella's mom collapses and the girls scream
  5. Bennet's reaction when they tell him point blank he's being investigated
  6. Bennet's reaction when the officer gives him the opportunity/choice to let them say goodbye to Emelia again as a "gesture of good will"

I'm really struggling to understand this relationship. He was travelling overseas without even telling his wife?

RSBM

It was a remarkably international relationship, from the beginning.

2014/15 they met online (sources are contradictory). Bennett, born in the UK, was officially living in Australia, where he'd become a citizen. She'd often travel to meet him in exotic locals. Possibly he was working as a crew on sailboats.

Aug 2015 He registered a version of his Australian business in Florida.

Oct 2015 (roughly) Hellmann became pregnant

Feb 2016 Bennett is known to have departed Australia, declaring he would be in the UK for about a year (This might have been for taxation/benefit reasons)

May 2016 Bennett stole coins from sailboat in St. Martaan, where he was working as crew.

July 2016 Baby Emilia born

Jan 2017 Couple buy a condo in Florida, which Bennett fixes up

Feb 2017 Couple marry

May 2017 Hellmann disappears, boat sinks

As far as we know, Bennett wasn't able to live in the US. He'd normally only be allowed 3 months at a time, although there are various visas that I'm not familiar with.

Most of the above is from the timeline at the end of this link, though I added details. Isabella Hellmann mystery spans three continents, raises questions

ETA I did a bit more research on US rules about Australian visitors. They can get a 2 year ESTA, which allows them to enter and exit multiple times, for max 90 days each time.

Last edited:
He swore he had nothing to do with wife’s death at sea. Now he’s expected to plead guilty to manslaughter.

Wow.

The maximum penalty is eight years in federal prison. The change-of-plea hearing is scheduled for Monday afternoon in federal court in Miami.

Yep. And ...:

“... but could get as little as 18 to 24 months, under federal sentencing guidelines.”

I also found the following interesting:

“‘You’ve got no body, you’ve got no great physical evidence, you’ve got a defendant who would probably take the witness stand to testify in his defense – and you’ve got to convince all 12 jurors in federal court,’ said David S. Weinstein, a Miami-based defense attorney who formerly worked as both a federal and state prosecutor. ‘That’s a gamble.’

‘Stack that against a conviction that will definitely put the defendant in prison, give the victim’s family some closure, stop him from collecting on life insurance and probably help to terminate his parental rights to the couple’s child,‘ Weinstein said. ‘They say a plea bargain means that both sides are unhappy but both sides can live with the outcome.’” (BBM)

It will be very interesting to see what happens on Monday, IMO.

Last edited:
“Lewis Bennett pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Faces maximum penalty of 8 years. Government says it is going for 8 @WPTV”

Michelle Quesada on Twitter

Michelle Quesada
The judge says Bennett will serve his sentence and be removed from the U.S. and never be allowed to return. Judge will set a sentencing hearing date. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Prosecutor says they would prove Bennett was a proficient swimmer knew man overboard protocols, asked Hellmann to take over without a life vest without a harness or any tether, even though she had no experience and he was captain of the boat. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Prosecutor says Bennett did not require her to wear a life jacket, harness or emergency beacon locator. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Prosecutor says Bennett did not deploy flares when his wife went missing nor did he turn the catamaran around to look for her. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Prosecutor says Bennett said 45 mins to an hour went by since he woke up and Hellmann was missing till when he abandoned the boat and jumped into life raft. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Prosecutor says his gross negligence and reckless disregard led to her death. Prosecutor says Bennett should have foreseen the threat to life. @WPTV

Michelle Quesada
Judge says he will not go above the maximum but can go above the guidelines. Bennett’s attorneys said they will not seek less than 7 years. @WPTV

“Family law attorney Joel Weissman in West Palm Beach said since the child has resided in the U.K. for more than 6 months it is likely that the court system there would determine where and with whom the child should live while her father serves his sentence.

‘Unless there’s some urgent situation, some urgency, where the child’s danger is apparent, the home state of that child being in the country of England, the United Kingdom, that’s the country, that’s the jurisdiction that will oversee the child’s best interest,’ said Weissman.

Bennett will be sentenced on Jan 10.”
Lewis Bennett, accused of killing his wife at sea, pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter

“MIAMI — The family of Isabella Hellmann heard Lewis Bennett say on Monday what they'd been both hoping for, and dreading, for nearly a year and a half:

He killed her. Or, at least, his negligence led to her death.

[SBM]

The lanky Brit, now 41, stood with his hands cuffed in front of him and heard U.S. District Judge Federico A. Moreno, reading from the charges, ask if he ‘did unlawfully kill’ the suburban Delray Beach real estate broker ‘without malice in the commission of a lawful act, without due caution and circumspection, which might produce death, that is, gross negligence amounting to wanton and reckless disregard for human life.’

He replied, ‘Yes your honor.’

Family members, sitting in a front row — some listening to a Spanish-English interpreter — watched intently.

In the hearing, which lasted about one-half hour, Moreno set sentencing for Jan 10. Bennett, who had been set for trial December on the murder charge and could have gone to prison for life, now faces up to eight years on the lesser conviction. That's what prosecutors asked for on Monday. Defense lawyers will ask for at least seven years. He also would pay a $250,000 fine.

[The BBM above is interesting, IMO. Don’t defense lawyers usually want the shortest sentence possible for their client? Perhaps it’s part of the plea agreement.]

Also, the dual citizen of the United Kingdom and Australia then would be deported ‘and could never gain come back to the United States,’ Moreno said.”

More at the link:
Husband pleads guilty, admits he caused Delray woman's death at sea - News - The Palm Beach Post - West Palm Beach, FL

Yep, it’s part of the agreement:

“Federal prosecutors will recommend he serve eight years in federal prison when he is sentenced. The defense has agreed not to seek less than seven years in prison.

Bennett will be deported after serving his punishment. He has dual citizenship from his native Britain and from Australia.” (BBM)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.su...ughter-plea-wife-boat-20181105-story,amp.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back