FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also called the rescue number as well.

If it proves true that he called his friend first, before calling the rescue number and launching his beacon would that be odd?

I don't know. I'm afraid of boats on the open ocean (I'd freak) so I'm not sure what protocol is when theres a man overboard and the boat is sinking?

ETA - I don't think anyone is disputing who he called etc. I think the question is who he called first and is that odd?

The point is, that reporter can't possibly know who Bennett called first.

Does it matter? He called for help. And he called his sister-in-law for help. I bet he called a lot of people. Wouldn't you? I would call everyone I know or ever met to make sure that the message to the Coast Guard was actually received and acted upon and they were on the way! I wouldn't just rely on one form of communication to the CG which is a contracts service I have never had to actually use before, and can only hope it works as advertised. But, that is just me.

And he may have had the E-PIRB which would send, via satellite, a distress signal and coordinates to a service that then routes it to the CG. It goes off automatically when submerged. Again, something you hope works as advertised and pray you didn't get a defective one.

I would use any and all means possible to send my distress signal to the world. What are the rules on flares? One at the onset of distress? One to shine when night rescue is imminent?

If it proves true that he called his friend first, before calling the rescue number and launching his beacon would that be odd?

I don't know. I'm afraid of boats on the open ocean (I'd freak) so I'm not sure what protocol is when theres a man overboard and the boat is sinking?

ETA - I don't think anyone is disputing who he called etc. I think the question is who he called first and is that odd?
Sounds like he was calling anyone and everyone.

Middle of the ocean, middle of the night completely dark, no lights, no land for miles and miles, a damaged boat that is taking on water and no way in the dark to assess the amount of damage, your spouse is overboard and little chance of spotting her in the dark, possibly a bit disoriented from being so abruptly woken into a calamity. Even an experienced sailor could panic in that situation.

I keep thinking how completely pitch black it must have been... and ocean waves...

I dunno. I think if he were to intentionally harm her, he would have done so much closer to land so he himself wouldn't have been in so much personal danger. And if he had been in, say, Haitian or Cuban waters, their coast guard would have responded instead of the US coast guard and there likely wouldn't have been any investigation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think the timing of when he did what and when he called who could be important.

ETA - I worked for a forensic accountant - timing is key.

As I've said before everything sounds like a total accident, but there are somethings that make me go hummm.

I think I also shared I'd totally freak out in the open ocean (of course I'm not an experienced sailor either).

Does it matter? He called for help. And he called his sister-in-law for help. I bet he called a lot of people. Wouldn't you? I would call everyone I know or ever met to make sure that the message to the Coast Guard was actually received and acted upon and they were on the way! I wouldn't just rely on one form of communication to the CG which is a contracts service I have never had to actually use before, and can only hope it works as advertised. But, that is just me.

And he may have had the E-PIRB which would send, via satellite, a distress signal and coordinates to a service that then routes it to the CG. It goes off automatically when submerged. Again, something you hope works as advertised and pray you didn't get a defective one.

I would use any and all means possible to send my distress signal to the world. What are the rules on flares? One at the onset of distress? One to shine when night rescue is imminent?
I have been a few hairy situations myself where I have called family or friends before calling authorities. I have also been on the receiving end of such calls which makes me think it isn't that unusual.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I was revisiting researching information on coast guard search and rescue to try to find out what their area of SAR is off the mainland for the US... and got sidetracked and interested in other information which I thought relevant to this case.

I found information that states that "CG swimmers may attempt rescue but shall not dive under or enter vessel". I guess that answers what some here questioned as to why they merely knocked on the hull.

CGNoDiveUnderOrEnter.JPG

boatswainsmate.net/BM/SAR_Policies_Baldwin.pp

I also found of interest (it is a long read, but very interesting imho - who knew that Coast Guard rescue swimmers were first on the job in 1984) and, which is on topic for THIS CASE,

" It was decided that Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers would not utilize scuba, parachutes, or utilize procedures for combat SAR," (ergo, if no scuba, that well explains why they only did top surface evaluation as we have read they did in this case e.g. knocking on hull) ...... The concept of operations stated that the rescue swimmer would either free fall from the helicopter or deploy via the hoist cable and, equipped with mask, fins, snorkel, and appropriate anti-exposure garments, would swim freely to assist the survivor.

https://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/USCG_Rescue_Swimmer_History.asp <<<-- a VERY interesting, but long, read of the history of the Coast Guard Search and Rescue.

FWIW... I guess I'll continue later to search on what my original sleuthing research was going to be later, as I've gotten sidetracked and interested in learning about the Coast Guard SAR history and examples tonight

ETA: Just verifying from multiple sources some information above

" Surface swimmers may not go underwater to enter a capsized boat. See U.S. Coast Guard Addendum to the National SAR Manual § 6.C.1 ("[A] Coast Guard Swimmer is NOT to go under the water and enter a capsized or submerged object.") [hereinafter Addendum]; id. § 4.I.2.a ("urface swimmers shall not enter a capsized or submerged object.")."

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/112/119/2521313/

This may seem O/T.. but I had been wondering where the US Coast Guard jurisdiction for Search and Rescue was for this case and others, and how far the boat was from the point of being outside the jurisdiction of the US... which someone upthread had mentioned. I cannot tell from this map how far the boat was.... but appears perhaps to have been pretty close to being just inside US jurisdiction. (IIRC, the media at one time reported coordinates... but I'm not skilled enough to place on a map even if I had coordinates - perhaps our :websleuther: Skibaboo will venture to this thread as she is the queen of mapping)

SRRAreaMap.JPG

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=GMDSS

GLOBAL MARITIME DISTRESS AND SAFETY SYSTEM

In 1979, a group of experts drafted the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue, which called for the development of a global search and rescue plan. This group also passed a resolution calling for the development of a Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) to provide the communication support needed to implement the global search and rescue plan.

This system, which the world's maritime nations - including the United States - have implemented, is based upon a combination of satellite and terrestrial radio services and has changed international distress communications from being primarily ship-to-ship-based to primarily ship-to-shore-based (Rescue Coordination Center).

Sea Area A1

An area within the radiotelephone coverage of at least one VHF coast station in which continuous digital selective calling (ch70) alerting and radiotelephony services are available, as defined by the International Maritime Organization.

The United States now has Sea Area A1 service as shown in Rescue 21 Distress System Coverage.
On 20 January 2015 the Coast Guard declared Sea Area A1 in certain areas off the coast of the United States based upon the performance of the Coast Guard's Rescue 21 System in accordance with applicable provisions of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS). The Coast Guard defines Sea Area A1 as those areas where more than ninety percent of the area within 20 nautical miles seaward of the territorial baseline along the East, West and Gulf Coasts of the United States, excluding Alaska, and including Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States and the Northern Mariana Islands of Saipan, Tinian and Rota, is within coverage of Coast Guard very high frequency, or VHF Coast Stations that provide both a continuous watch for Digital Selective Calling, or DSC, distress alerts on Channel 70 and a capability to respond to distress alerts.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/01/20/2015-00798/declaration-of-sea-area-a1

I have been a few hairy situations myself where I have called family or friends before calling authorities. I have also been on the receiving end of such calls which makes me think it isn't that unusual.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I understand, and I am sorry for those things that you have dealt with. But, when you're in the middle of the ocean, and it's just you and your wife, and she goes missing off of your boat-who would you call? The authorities, police, coast guard? Would you call your mom? Business partner? Someone half a world away? It just adds to the questions in my mind.

I understand, and I am sorry for those things that you have dealt with. But, when you're in the middle of the ocean, and it's just you and your wife, and she goes missing off of your boat-who would you call? The authorities, police, coast guard? Would you call your mom? Business partner? Someone half a world away? It just adds to the questions in my mind.

:thinking:

The first person I would call (assuming I was outta my mind not thinking straight if my wife was gone and I didn't have the coast guard/coastal emergency number) would be a friend anywhere in the world that knew me, knew my travel plans to explain to authorities etc... that was a boater, that could think straight and find the damn number for coast guard without me going through my paperwork down below for the coast guard emergency number, as I doubt (hmmm, should I though) many people have that on speeddial or on their smart phone to refer to then input into a satellite phone. That person would be sure to understand the emergency, would be QUICK to research and help me. No doubt, that would be my first call if above situation. (well, logically that would be my first call...all bets are off in that situation if not thinking straight... as #2 below would be #1 if not thinking straight)

Second call... assuming perhaps that I had time and the boat was taking on water, and I still had time... would be to call a family member of the person that I thought was gone knowing they live in the US, and the coast guard would be something they could look up and have the impetus to call and call and help save me and look for my lost wife.

Third call... would be to the number that the first or second person above gave me... the US Coast Guard or emergency number.

Fourth call... :dunno: would be to my BFF/family member to sit in the floating raft and talk to ...

All this assumes that the satellite phone was not PREPROGRAMMED for the proper coast guard emergency number.

ETA: Can we assume that the call transcripts or recordings through the Coast Guard will not be released through FOIA? Does anyone have handy the link/msm which delineated who was called and who was the source of saying such?

He had a ship radio, a satellite phone, a PLB and maybe a E-PIRB.

The PLB (personal location beacon) is about the size of a cell phone, is registered to the person and when activated, sends a satellite signal which is received by emergency rescue centers stationed all over. The E-PIRB is a bit bigger, is registered to and attached to the ship, and can be activated manually or by submersion in water after which it will release itself from its bracket and hopefully float to the surface and continue to automatically send a distress signal via satellite. The PLB battery emits a signal for 24 hours and the E-PRIB for 48 hours. No dialing is needed.

The satellite phone would be used to call anyone he wanted to call, including the CG, friends, family. The radio would be for a May Day to all ships in the area, if any.

All of these devices would be used if the person in distress was able to reach the radio and the satellite phone was not already lost. If the radio and the phone were unavailable for whatever reason the other 2 devices would be sending distress calls.

While still afloat and taking on water, I hope I would May Day over the radio if I could reach it, activate the E-PRIB, the PLB on my life vest and then start calling friends all within minutes while prepping to activate the life raft and gathering supplies for same while scanning the dark water for my missing spouse as the ship flounders out of control. You never know until you are there.

I find it odd that Isabella mentioned the "friend" when she called her sister at 8:30 p.m., the one who helped them connect the satellite phone. And, lo and behold, the friend *cough business partner cough* is the first person he calls, all the way in Australia (allegedly).

Why Isabella didn't know how to use the phone amazes me, as a person alone at the helm at night and after spending almost 2 weeks cruising the Caribbean, and a supposedly non-stop 5 day trek from the BVI's to Cuba.

And again, why didn't he give Isabella the personal locator beacon, knowing he had the satellite phone and the EPIRB handy if he needed it while sleeping below deck.

He had all 3 on him when he was rescued a few hours later.

I find it odd that Isabella mentioned the "friend" when she called her sister at 8:30 p.m., the one who helped them connect the satellite phone. And, lo and behold, the friend *cough business partner cough* is the first person he calls, all the way in Australia (allegedly).

Why Isabella didn't know how to use the phone amazes me, as a person alone at the helm at night and after spending almost 2 weeks cruising the Caribbean, and a supposedly non-stop 5 day trek from the BVI's to Cuba.

And again, why didn't he give Isabella the personal locator beacon, knowing he had the satellite phone and the EPIRB handy if he needed it while sleeping below deck.

He had all 3 on him when he was rescued a few hours later.
I think these things would normally be kept in the cockpit/helm of the ship (sorry, don't know the language). They're not supposed to be carried around by one person, they're meant to be available to all crew, precisely so they don't get lost/go overboard. The PLB is the exception, and neither had one, I expect they're somewhat unusual.

I also thought the comment about this knowledgeable friend of LB's was odd, it gives the impression LB wasn't experienced with the phone. But coming via the sister, it's hard to know what she really said, much less meant.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PLBs aren't expensive and it is possible she had one. If she fell overboard unconscious, she wouldn't have been able to activate it. If it was a plb, the antennae needs to be upright and above water in order to activate. Depending on the brand and reliability, maybe it didn't float. Maybe it fell off and it was floating but she never could reach it to activate.

So many explanations for it...

EPIRBS float and are designed for the antenna to stay above water. Some deploy automatically when they hit the water, even if they are submerged to a certain depth.

PLB's need to be held correctly and deployed by the person.

This is why EPIRBS are better.

Does Cuba have a restriction on the use of satellite phones?

ETA: it's a communist country so it stands to reason satellite phones might be banned.

Maybe that is why they delayed setting it up, and Isabella said it was hard to use...

ETA: it's a communist country so it stands to reason satellite phones might be banned.

Maybe that is why they delayed setting it up, and Isabella said it was hard to use...
You're right... satellite phones are a big no-no in Cuba:

The following items are listed as regulated because they need a permit from the Minisitry of* Informatics and Communications, so basically you can say they are not allowed:

Stand alone GPS units and*satellite phones.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c143377/Cuba:Caribbean:Items.Allowed.Into.Cuba.html

The import of satellite phones and GPS systems is forbidden by the Cuban Customs unless you have a permit from the Cuban Ministry of Informatics and Communications.*
The official statement of the government is that the phones are part of the secret U.S. cyberwar and are used to destabilize the country.*

http://www.havana-guide.com/sat-phones.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He had a ship radio, a satellite phone, a PLB and maybe a E-PIRB.

The PLB (personal location beacon) is about the size of a cell phone, is registered to the person and when activated, sends a satellite signal which is received by emergency rescue centers stationed all over. The E-PIRB is a bit bigger, is registered to and attached to the ship, and can be activated manually or by submersion in water after which it will release itself from its bracket and hopefully float to the surface and continue to automatically send a distress signal via satellite. The PLB battery emits a signal for 24 hours and the E-PRIB for 48 hours. No dialing is needed.

The satellite phone would be used to call anyone he wanted to call, including the CG, friends, family. The radio would be for a May Day to all ships in the area, if any.

All of these devices would be used if the person in distress was able to reach the radio and the satellite phone was not already lost. If the radio and the phone were unavailable for whatever reason the other 2 devices would be sending distress calls.

While still afloat and taking on water, I hope I would May Day over the radio if I could reach it, activate the E-PRIB, the PLB on my life vest and then start calling friends all within minutes while prepping to activate the life raft and gathering supplies for same while scanning the dark water for my missing spouse as the ship flounders out of control. You never know until you are there.

Thank you so much for the post. I find it very informative, especially as someone with zero boating experience! "You never know until you are there": That is so true.

According to MSM reports, it sounds like Bennett did pretty much exactly what you said you would in a similar situation:

"Bennett told authorities that he last saw his wife about 8 p.m. Sunday as she stood at the helm of their boat, 2nd Class Petty Officer Jonathan Lally said Monday afternoon.

'He was beneath the deck, sleeping, when his vessel struck an unknown object,' Lally said. Bennett used an EPIRB — an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon — which uses satellites to send a distress signal to rescuers. Bennett also used a personal locator beacon when he was found floating in a life raft, Lally said." (BBM)
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...ach-missing-bahamas-woman-20170515-story.html

"At about 1 a.m., the Coast Guard says, Bennett used a satellite phone to call the International Response Coordination Center, a private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard. Managers at the coordination center did not respond either to calls or to an email seeking details of Bennett’s SOS."
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

One thing that's missing from either article is the ship radio.

Again, I don't know anything about boats but am assuming that his ship did have a radio. I haven't been able to find anything that says Bennett used it, but maybe it was used and has not been reported. If he didn't, perhaps he couldn't reach it. Or is it possible that he chose not to use it because he had done something he didn't want anyone to see while still on board the ship, and did not want to attract attention of any ships that might be in the area?

As to the call made from Bennett's satellite phone, this appears to be the "private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard":
http://geosresponse.com/index.html

Here is another article from about a year ago that references the service:
"The Coast Guard said the men used their satellite phone to make a distress call to the International Emergency Response Coordination Center.":
http://www.click2houston.com/news/crews-search-for-2-missing-men-in-gulf-of-mexico

It is curious to me that to the best of my knowledge, the call Bennett supposedly made to a friend on the Gold Coast has never been mentioned by the USCG. I do believe that there was a call made:

"The friend then called volunteer coast guards at Southport, who alerted the Australian Maritime Safety Authority who, in turn, forwarded the information onto US coast guards.

'Never before have I heard this happen,' said Ian McPhail, an Australian Volunteer Coast Guard duty radio officer for 17 years at Southport.

'They were quite panicky, the (friend) received a satellite call from (Mr Bennett) saying he had hit a reef and his wife had gone overboard.'"
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/ce6bac1032afb68b534a94746fcc71f9

If the Australian friend was the first person Bennett called after the International Response Coordination Center, then I wouldn't find that suspicious at all; perhaps s/he is someone who knows a lot about boating.

I still do find it interesting that the Coast Guard hasn't said anything about the call. Maybe it's because in their opinion, it's irrelevant. Or perhaps it's because they knew about it but Bennett never mentioned it to them, which they found suspicious. But in that case, maybe Bennett just forgot about it.

Regardless, there must be something about this case that was compelling enough for the FBI to join the USCG investigation.

ETA: But then again, maybe he did all of this to ensure that he was found and rescued. Couldn't he have harmed Isabella on the boat, weighted the body and thrown it into the ocean all before getting into the raft? Would he have been able to somehow flood the vessel, make sure that the E-PIRB was activated -whether manually or by submersion- followed by the PLB and the phone calls? But how would he know for sure he would survive? And if there was foul play involved, how would anyone be able to prove it, especially if it is true that the boat is now lost.

Never even thought of that one. Good point. Something to consider.

Wyle - thanks for the phone info. Whoa. All kinds of issues to think about here.

inmy - this ship would have a radio. I will assume it would be in good working condition otherwise it would be unseaworthy. Only fools go out in an unseaworthy ship.

There are people who buy used life rafts or hang on to old ones longer than they should, use old life vests that they have had for years, use dry rotted life rings and ragged lines and have radios that are unreliable. These people are fools. Do not get on their ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018