GUILTY FL - John & Linda Dollar for torture of 5 adopted kids, Beverly Hills, 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Animals. I'm so happy they are in custody. They will never hurt anyone else, ever again.

It will be interesting when the children are identified to LE...makes you wonder if any of them might have been abducted by these sickos!!

I can tell you that the area where they lived in Tennessee is rural. They had someone on our local news that said they were very religious and from what I remember she said they kept pretty much to themselves.

I wonder who these poor children are. I hope that Florida gives the two monsters what they deserve and that the kids get a home where they are loved.

Casshew said:
captured in Utah!! :woohoo:
YAHOO !! Let's pray they get what they deserve and are not able to slip through the cracks of the justice system.

Florida officials say 5 of 7 children suffered starvation, abuse

(CNN) -- A Florida couple accused of torturing and starving five of their seven children were taken into custody Friday night in Utah after detectives were able to track their cell phone signals, authorities said.

...The case came to authorities' attention two weeks ago when paramedics responding to a 911 call from the home in Beverly Hills took a 16-year-old boy to a hospital in nearby Crystal River, Tierney said.

The boy was bleeding from a laceration on his head and had red marks on his neck. He weighed 59 pounds, she said.

...Authorities went to the home in Beverly Hills, about 85 miles north of Tampa, and interviewed the other children, including twin 14-year-old boys who were so malnourished they weighed 36 and 38 pounds apiece, Tierney said.

...The Dollars are accused of forcing the five children to sleep in a closet in the master bedroom with a "wind chime affixed to the door so that the Dollars would know if they tried to get out of the closet," Tierney said.

In addition, they are accused of using a cattle prod or some sort of stun gun to shock the children, securing them to spots in the house with chains, striking their feet with hammers and pulling out the children's toenails with pliers.

More of the story and video feed here

Prayers for these children to be well & find loving families, Lanie

It's not clear to me from articles whether the Dollars were home when the 911 call was placed. Did the "parents" call or did one of the other children call in their absence?

LovelyPigeon said:
It's not clear to me from articles whether the Dollars were home when the 911 call was placed. Did the "parents" call or did one of the other children call in their absence?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ured,0,5727449.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

DCF began investigating the couple when a 16-year-old boy living in their home was rushed to the hospital on Jan. 21 with severe injuries after one of the other children called for an ambulance. The family included three girls, ages 12, 13 and 17; three 14-year-old boys, two of them twins, and the 16-year-old boy.

Thanks golfmom. One of the other kids called 911. I don't know whether to take that to mean the parents were home at the time or not.

LovelyPigeon said:
Thanks golfmom. One of the other kids called 911. I don't know whether to take that to mean the parents were home at the time or not.

LP, it doesn't matter if the parents were home or not. The abuse was ongoing and apparent. These people were monsters as evidenced by the magnitude of the abuse. Please don't tell me you have any excuse for this. I would love to be on a same side and ongoing crusade to stop this horrible type of thing. I love children...they are our hope. They never need to be abused in any way, shape or form.

I am so glad that these monsters have been caught. Since it appears they moved from FL to TN and then back to FL, I hope they'll be charged in both states and never see the light of day again in either.

I hope these children heal in every way as best they can. So sad.

Just checking in - so glad to hear that they caught these 2 monsters! I hope the punishment will be severe and that they never see the light of day again!
Prayers for the kids to find strength, love, compassion and a wonderful new family.

They're each being charged with ONE count of aggravated child abuse. I expect Florida will add more charges when they get back here.

In Florida, they will face 30 years to life in prison for each count.

I doubt they will see the light of day as free people again. They are in their 50s.

Justice and healing for the poor children. May they find peace, health and happiness in their future.
Terry

Monday, February 7, 2005
Accused couple waives extradition to Fla.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MONTICELLO, Utah -- A couple accused of subjecting five of their adopted children to torture that included beating them with hammers and pulling their toenails out with pliers agreed Monday to be returned to Florida to face charges.

John and Linda Dollar were captured Friday in Utah after authorities tracked them through their cell phones. They face charges of aggravated child abuse.

The couple went on the run after all seven of their adopted children were removed from their home last month in the Tampa area. One of the youngsters, a 16-year-old boy, weighed less than 60 pounds and had suspicious injuries on his head and neck.
---
>>
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=BRF Family Torture

John and Linda Dollar should soon be on their way from a part of Utah known as "The Badlands," back to Citrus County. And when they get here, they will immediately go to the Citrus County jail, until they are tried for starving and torturing five of the seven children who lived with them at their Beverly Hills, Florida home.

On Monday, Citrus County prosecutors were in court to revoke the couple's bond that was set at $100,000.

Prosecutors convinced a judge that they were indeed a flight risk, as they had fled the Bay Area when they were charged with abusing their adopted children.--->>

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=11884

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Citrus County to add child abuse counts in alleged torture case

By VICKIE CHACHERE
Associated Press Writer
TAMPA, Fla.
A couple facings allegations they tortured five of their adopted children will face additional counts of child abuse when they are returned to Citrus County later this month.--->>

Citrus County Sheriff's spokeswoman Gail Tierney said Tuesday that prosecutors will add an additional four counts of aggravated child abuse to Linda Dollar's charge and an additional five counts for John Dollar.

The additional counts could mean that the Dollars could spend decades more in prison if convicted of the crimes although neither has a criminal record.

Tierney said the new counts stem from the same allegations that the Dollars punished five of the children by pulling out toenails with pliers, hitting them with a hammer, administering electrical shocks and forcing them to sleep in a closet at night. The children ranged in age from 12 to 17 and lived with the Dollars and John Dollar's elderly mother in a secluded home in the Citrus County town of Beverly Hills, about 70 miles north of Tampa.--->>

The sheriff's office said it would be at least a week and possibly as long as 15 days before they return the couple to Inverness, the Citrus County seat.--->>

The family has moved often between homes in Florida and Tennessee. State records indicate all the Dollars' children were adopted in Florida from the late 1980s to mid-1990s. The couple also has a grown daughter who was adopted by Linda Dollar in a prior marriage.

On Jan. 21, Linda Dollar called paramedics to report her 16-year-old son was bleeding badly from a cut to his head. When the boy was rushed to a nearby hospital, doctors discovered head and neck wounds and a teen so severely malnourished he weighed less than 60 pounds.
--->>

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050208/APN/502081052

On Jan. 21, Linda Dollar called paramedics to report her 16-year-old son was bleeding badly from a cut to his head. answers one of my questions. It was the adoptive mother who called 911.

INVERNESS, Fla. Authorities say they've turned up evidence inside a motor home belonging to a Florida couple accused of torturing five of their seven adopted children.

Investigators say they found pliers and what appeared to be pieces of toenails or fingernails.

Authorities say the evidence in the motor home in Polk County corroborates what the children have told detectives.

Full story

WasBlind said:
INVERNESS, Fla. Authorities say they've turned up evidence inside a motor home belonging to a Florida couple accused of torturing five of their seven adopted children.

Investigators say they found pliers and what appeared to be pieces of toenails or fingernails.

Authorities say the evidence in the motor home in Polk County corroborates what the children have told detectives.

Full story

It makes me so sick! Please lord protect these children.

The older sister wants custody of the children. IMO this should never happen. She was absued. She knew the kids were abused. She did nothing to protect them. :furious:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/13/Tampabay/Abused_children_may_g.shtml

Attorneys have scheduled a hearing in Citrus County for Tuesday so that Shanda Rae Shelton of New Port Richey can seek the right to visit with the children that the adult Dollars are accused of starving and torturing. Shelton, 25, also will seek to become a "relative caregiver," which means she would act like a foster parent in raising one or more of the other children.

"This sister is tremendously upset after having been a victim herself and she wants visitation immediately," said Bill Grant, an Inverness attorney who said he is representing Shelton without charge, along with his colleague, Bo Samargya.

"She knows these children. She has changed their diapers, she has wiped their noses," Grant said. "This is a bond just like you and I have with our brothers and sisters."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran
Back