GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that we should look at the shooting of Jordan Davis as one incident and the shooting at the other people in the vehicle as a separate incident. That's why there where all those separate charges.

While the shootings happen at the same time the justification for one act, shooting Davis, is not the same as shooting at the other unarmed occupants of the vehicle.

For some unknown reason this jury couldn't decide whether Dunn's shooting of Davis was justified or not. So they were hung. At the same time they decided that the separate act of shooting at the other people in the vehicle was unjustified and found him guilty of attempted murder.

I disagree with the idea that Dunn had any justification in firing his gun at all. Apparently someone on the jury couldn't figure that out. MOO.

I am saying I get it now what had the jury so tangled up. I believe this could be an argument on appeal, I think that is why Angela Corey made such a point of stating what the remedies to a belief that the convict was overcharged were during trial. I am not saying I agree with the argument but that I can see the argument being made on an appellate level and I think that is what at least one person on that jury thought. That you could not charge on the others if the one was an acquittal.

lawyers on this board, can the three boys file civil lawsuits against dunn for anything? tia

Stephanie Brown ‏@NewsAndNom 1m
WOKV's Legal Analyst @Rubins_Law says #MichaelDunn's attempted murder sentences will likely be consecutive (min 60 yrs) #DunnTrial

Although Florida 10/20 Life law does allow for consecutive sentence if firearm is used against more than one victim during a single episode, JMO but I seriously doubt that these sentences will run consecutively (one after another). Believe me, I would like to see them run consecutively. I wish that the murder trial could be moved to another state, like maybe Texas....Just wishing, I know you can't change venue to another state but I can still wish can't I?

that clearly indicates someone bought Dunns story. It's just mind boggling to me. Knowing that, I'd say it's lucky there were convictions. The prosecutor needs to paint a much clearer picture of who Dunn is in the retrial and they need to cross examine much more effectively. Dunns character witnesses need to be countered.

What about the question from the jury earlier today when they asked if they could believe self-defense on one charge, but not on the others?
I really believe that some jurors believed self defense. (How they believed that, I will never understand)

I'm very pleased with the guilty verdicts on counts 2-5. Dunn will never be free to kill again.
I will be front and center on the retrial for 1st degree murder, and hope for justice in that count as well.

color me crazy (which you can do, and I won't be offended), but how can he be found guilty of attempted murder (x3) and for shooting a firearm in public (x1), but NOT be found guilty (mistrial) of killing a 17 YO? It feels like an oxymoron to me -- he killed this teenager in cold blood or he didn't. I would expect a mistrial on the 3 counts of attempted murder as well -- if they couldn't come to an agreement on the murder.

What am I missing here? Thanks,

MOO

Mel

Because the prosecutor was shooting too high. They should of not went for 1st degree in the first place. :twocents:

Did MD "target" him?

The difference is that Marissa Alexander had a real reason to fear for her life or great bodily harm, the boyfriend admitted as much and the restraining order was further evidence of that. The boyfriend should thank his lucky stars because she had every right to shoot him and instead she took what I would call a reasonable step by firing a warning shot high into the wall where no one was in the trajectory of the bullet. Sadly, what I, and many people consider reasonable, is more of a crime than killing someone.
According to what I heard, she did not fire a 'warning shot'. She fired directly at her boyfriend, missed, and the bullet lodged in the wall near him. I believe this info came from one of the prosecuting attorneys, if I remember correctly. To comment about this case we'd really need to see transcripts of the testimony and not just rely on gossip.

who believed self defense didn't "win" so it doesn't even matter. And, if that were true, the jury instructions would have reflected that. I have no doubt he'd argue that. They certainly argued crazier things all through trial.

Strolla: One basis for appeal is that if the jury found self defense on count 1, then they would HAVE to find self defense on the other 3 counts of attempted murder.

Did I hear that right?

lawyers on this board, can the three boys file civil lawsuits against dunn for anything? tia

Yes, they can and at least 2 of the boys did file civil suits.

Civil lawsuits against Michael Dunn settled
Attorney for Jordan Davis' parents confirms settlement

In a text, John Phillips wrote: "We made an offer to settle both cases against Michael Dunn - 1) the estate of Jordan Davis' case and 2) the case of two boys we represent. They accepted the offer in full. We cannot disclose the offer at this time, but it resolved all civil suits in principle."

Read more here: http://www.news4jax.com/news/civil-lawsuits-against-michael-dunn-settled/-/475880/23767940/-/v61iacz/-/index.html

ETA: BTW I am not an attorney but decided to play one and answer your question anyway. lol

[modsnip]...each and every florida lawyer says it is consecutive even his own attorne strolla.

Believe what you wish, the fact is Marissa Alexander got 3 convictions served concurrently for the same exact conviction she was on probation at the time.

I think that we should look at the shooting of Jordan Davis as one incident and the shooting at the other people in the vehicle as a separate incident. That's why there where all those separate charges.

While the shootings happen at the same time the justification for one act, shooting Davis, is not the same as shooting at the other unarmed occupants of the vehicle.

For some unknown reason this jury couldn't decide whether Dunn's shooting of Davis was justified or not. So they were hung. At the same time they decided that the separate act of shooting at the other people in the vehicle was unjustified and found him guilty of attempted murder.

I disagree with the idea that Dunn had any justification in firing his gun at all. Apparently someone on the jury couldn't figure that out. MOO.

"Stand your ground" is becoming cliche now. Especially now that GZ has made it an infamous statement. :facepalm:

I am saying I get it now what had the jury so tangled up. I believe this could be an argument on appeal, I think that is why Angela Corey made such a point of stating what the remedies to a belief that the convict was overcharged were during trial. I am not saying I agree with the argument but that I can see the argument being made on an appellate level and I think that is what at least one person on that jury thought. That you could not charge on the others if the one was an acquittal.

I'm confused. During the trial Angela Corey talked about remedies for overcharging Dunn? So she admitted that the charges were not justified by the evidence?

-----------
Spellbound, you are right. He tried. was very civil to all. Maybe he doesn't like kid killers either. Dunn is locky he tried as hard as he did. IMO.:loveyou:

I agree Nore. He does not have to like his client. Strolla is quite likeable compared to Nurmi in that other case. Strolla seems to be a nice guy but some of his comments were quite telling towards Dunn... about money for one thing. He answered the reporters that he would stick around with Dunn for now, file some documents and so on, but later when there is no money he's gone. :hills:

Although Florida 10/20 Life law does allow for consecutive sentence if firearm is used against more than one victim during a single episode, JMO but I seriously doubt that these sentences will run consecutively (one after another). Believe me, I would like to see them run consecutively. I wish that the murder trial could be moved to another state, like maybe Texas....Just wishing, I know you can't change venue to another state but I can still wish can't I?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-20-Life
The law specifies exactly what categories of crimes fall under it, it mandates that offenders be sentenced to the law's maximum allowable extent for the committed felony, and that the mandatory sentences must be completed consecutively to any additional sentence an offender must serve

Vic Micolucci (WJXT) ‏@WJXTvic 6m
Another pic of #MichaelDunn reaction to verdict. (Bob Mack / FTU) pic.twitter.com/IhEpA2XLoU

:floorlaugh: This is bad! An entire group of people who wouldn't let him walk out! :giggle:

-----------
Spellbound, you are right. He tried. was very civil to all. Maybe he doesn't like kid killers either. Dunn is locky he tried as hard as he did. IMO.:loveyou:

He's being civil because he knows that Dunn will have to be retried or because he fears for his life if he isn't.

I found something; http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...-trial/2014/02/14/dunn-life-sentence/5485419/

...Even if the jury fails to convict on a first or second degree murder charge in the November 2012 death of Jordan Davis, it's possible jurors could find Dunn guilty of three charges of attempted murder -- one for each surviving teen. Dunn has admitted firing at the vehicle as it left the Gate gas station, and surveillance tapes capture a few-second delay before the final volley of shots were fired. If the jury believes those shots were not fired in self defense, Dunn could be convicted of three attempted murder charges -- each a gun crime, with a minimum sentence of 20 years. Unless those sentences were served concurrently -- something court watchers familiar with Judge Russell Healey's tough reputation believe is unlikely -- Dunn would be facing a 60-year minimum prison sentence....

So I guess they can be concurrent. Fortunately, this is an hang 'em high judge!

Believe what you wish, the fact is Marissa Alexander got 3 convictions served concurrently for the same exact conviction she was on probation at the time.

Not the same charges, Dunn was found guilty of three counts of attempted 2nd degree murder.

Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of a toddler and 11-year-old twins, knew it was coming. She had claimed self-defense, tried to invoke Florida's "stand your ground" law and rejected plea deals that could have gotten her a much shorter sentence. A jury found her guilty as charged: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Because she fired a gun while committing a felony, Florida's mandatory-minimum gun law dictated the 20-year sentence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/marissa-alexander-gets-20_n_1530035.html

I read all over the place today (from lawyers and judges) that the 3 attempted murder charges are 20 years (min) each and will run consecutively. The magic number all day was 60 years minimum. Was I dreaming that?

I'm too tired to look for it now. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Have a great night everyone.

He was convicted of 2nd degree attempted murder. (x's 3)

Off to watch "The Closer" season 2, episode 8 thru 15 I think, and maybe start on season 3 if I can't sleep. It's getting a little warm for me.

Glad Dunn is still behind bars for what should amount to his entire lifetime!

Appeal Shmameal, no appeal, no way, no how! IMHO and :moo: and all that!

:cat::eek:fftobed:

I found something; http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...-trial/2014/02/14/dunn-life-sentence/5485419/

...Even if the jury fails to convict on a first or second degree murder charge in the November 2012 death of Jordan Davis, it's possible jurors could find Dunn guilty of three charges of attempted murder -- one for each surviving teen. Dunn has admitted firing at the vehicle as it left the Gate gas station, and surveillance tapes capture a few-second delay before the final volley of shots were fired. If the jury believes those shots were not fired in self defense, Dunn could be convicted of three attempted murder charges -- each a gun crime, with a minimum sentence of 20 years. Unless those sentences were served concurrently -- something court watchers familiar with Judge Russell Healey's tough reputation believe is unlikely -- Dunn would be facing a 60-year minimum prison sentence....

So I guess they can be concurrent. Fortunately, this is an hang 'em high judge!

With the charges that he's convicted with today, Dunn will be a very old man before he gets out if ever. That's why I wondered if it's worth the effort to retry him on murder one.

color me crazy (which you can do, and I won't be offended), but how can he be found guilty of attempted murder (x3) and for shooting a firearm in public (x1), but NOT be found guilty (mistrial) of killing a 17 YO? It feels like an oxymoron to me -- he killed this teenager in cold blood or he didn't. I would expect a mistrial on the 3 counts of attempted murder as well -- if they couldn't come to an agreement on the murder.

What am I missing here? Thanks,

MOO

Mel

First of all he was NOT found NOT guilty of killing a 17 YO.
The jury could not decide, it was a hung jury.

He shot at the vehicle and attempted murder at the other 3 people in the car, who did not threatened to kill him.
And that's why he was found guilty on those charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth