FL - Kameela Russell, 41, found deceased, Miami Gardens, 15 May 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since she pulled up, and then left.. and hasn’t been seen in days.. I’m wondering if she had a mental breakdown and needed to get away for a bit? Was she in such distress mentally/emotionally that she decided impulsively in the driveway she needed to run? I hope she’s okay and comes home soon!

Kameela Russell, 41, was last seen Wednesday night in the driveway of her aunt’s home in Miami Gardens.

Russell went to the home to pick up her 6-year-old daughter.

Donna Blyden, her aunt, said she saw Russell’s car pull into the driveway before it suddenly disappeared.

“When I look again, I didn’t see the car,” Blyden said, “so I text her and say, ‘Where are you? I know you were in the driveway just now, and now you’re not here. Where are you?’ I didn’t get an answer.”

Miami Gardens Police are seeking the public’s help to find the school employee and mother of two.
This is SO puzzling! :dunno:

Summarizing from HLN: The Aunt is sure that it was her car in the driveway, but she can’t be sure that she saw her niece in the car. She said she knows the car because of the windows being tinted. When asked who the last family member was to see her in person, her aunt said it would have been her older daughter because she attended the school where her mom worked.

Hopefully they will post the video and interview and I will link.

Everything To Know About Kameela Russell, Missing Mom of 2 Who Disappeared From Miami
Police issued a missing person alert for the 41-year-old.
Written By Megan Sims
Posted 3 hours ago
Everything To Know About Kameela Russell, Missing Mom of 2 Who Disappeared From Miami Everything To Know About Kameela Russell, Missing Mom of 2 Who Disappeared From Miami

Russell’s family claimed that it wasn’t like her to just take off, especially without giving any notice. Her 15-year-old daughter Skye Braddy said she was expecting her mother to come home. But now she, as well as members of the community, is pleading for her safe return.

“Everybody’s fighting for you,” Braddy said. “People who I haven’t seen in years coming out trying to help you. Your students. We need you.”

Missing from reports about Russell was any mention of the father(s) of her two daughters. Many times disappearances of women result from domestic disputes, which is unfortunately too common, especially among Black women.

more at link

I went to middle school with Kameela, and sat next to her in music class for 2 years. I haven't lived in S. Florida for 20+ years, so I don't have any insider info on family members or anything.

My interest in true crime has been limited to a few cases (the Chris Watts case and the tragic crash with the Hart children from last year). It is surreal and depressing to see a familiar face on a Missing Person flyer, and I sincerely hope for her kids and family that she is found, and that our worst fears aren't confirmed.

We were never that close (she was a year ahead of me in school), but I looked up to Kameela because she was the concertmaster of our orchestra, and always seemed so positive — while it was clear she probably wasn't going to pursue music fulltime, she was incredibly bright and disciplined, and you could tell she would go on to excel at whatever she decided to do. She was kind, and had a way of joking around and making everyone feel "seen" and comfortable.

Obviously, there is little information to go off of at this stage, but here are my two cents.
  • Someone on Page 1 wondered if anyone's door cameras might have picked up activity. Knowing that part of Miami Gardens, I'm going to guess that most people don't have doorbell cameras or elaborate security systems. It's just not as much of a thing in South Florida's lower income residential areas. It's possible some people have them...but I highly doubt it.
  • In wondering HOW it's possible for someone to disappear from their aunt's driveway — if that's what happened — my mind kept coming back to "carjacking." A Google search reveals that a woman was carjacked outside her home in Miami Gardens in Dec. 2018, in the morning. But usually, the victim doesn't disappear with the car. I also found a case where two 13 year-olds were charged with the armed carjacking and robbery in the parking lot of Biscayne Gardens Elementary school. But you would think that if something similar happened just outside of the aunt's home, that there would be evidence of struggle, and noise.
  • One other possibility, which was raised by @IHAVENOCLUE, is that we don't know if she was driving the car. There was a brutal murder here in DC in 2016 where a man attacked a local theater actress, and drove around in her car for 6 hours before being spotted downtown.
I'm sure the police are looking into the father of her kids and any other people she may have been in a relationship with. Sadly, I don't know anything about that, but from her FB and IG and friends' accounts, it's clear she was a devoted mom.

I read in one article that her mom had mentioned her being stressed about work. It's also possible that it could be someone from her probation officer days or a former student holding a grudge — but it seems she overwhelmingly loved by people at all of the schools where she worked.

I am sure of one thing, though — Kameela is perceptive. She doesn't strike me as someone who could be easily fooled or coerced, and would fight tooth and nail, if she had to.

It breaks my heart to know that she's separated from her daughters. It's a nightmare that this could happen to someone who cared so deeply for the people around her. I hope the MGPD can provide some updates once they have pinged her phone and checked if there's someone she might have talked to. It just doesn't make sense for there not to be any evidence.

I went to middle school with Kameela, and sat next to her in music class for 2 years. I haven't lived in S. Florida for 20+ years, so I don't have any insider info on family members or anything.

My interest in true crime has been limited to a few cases (the Chris Watts case and the tragic crash with the Hart children from last year). It is surreal and depressing to see a familiar face on a Missing Person flyer, and I sincerely hope for her kids and family that she is found, and that our worst fears aren't confirmed.

We were never that close (she was a year ahead of me in school), but I looked up to Kameela because she was the concertmaster of our orchestra, and always seemed so positive — while it was clear she probably wasn't going to pursue music fulltime, she was incredibly bright and disciplined, and you could tell she would go on to excel at whatever she decided to do. She was kind, and had a way of joking around and making everyone feel "seen" and comfortable.

Obviously, there is little information to go off of at this stage, but here are my two cents.
  • Someone on Page 1 wondered if anyone's door cameras might have picked up activity. Knowing that part of Miami Gardens, I'm going to guess that most people don't have doorbell cameras or elaborate security systems. It's just not as much of a thing in South Florida's lower income residential areas. It's possible some people have them...but I highly doubt it.
  • In wondering HOW it's possible for someone to disappear from their aunt's driveway — if that's what happened — my mind kept coming back to "carjacking." A Google search reveals that a woman was carjacked outside her home in Miami Gardens in Dec. 2018, in the morning. But usually, the victim doesn't disappear with the car. I also found a case where two 13 year-olds were charged with the armed carjacking and robbery in the parking lot of Biscayne Gardens Elementary school. But you would think that if something similar happened just outside of the aunt's home, that there would be evidence of struggle, and noise.
  • One other possibility, which was raised by @IHAVENOCLUE, is that we don't know if she was driving the car. There was a brutal murder here in DC in 2016 where a man attacked a local theater actress, and drove around in her car for 6 hours before being spotted downtown.
I'm sure the police are looking into the father of her kids and any other people she may have been in a relationship with. Sadly, I don't know anything about that, but from her FB and IG and friends' accounts, it's clear she was a devoted mom.

I read in one article that her mom had mentioned her being stressed about work. It's also possible that it could be someone from her probation officer days or a former student holding a grudge — but it seems she overwhelmingly loved by people at all of the schools where she worked.

I am sure of one thing, though — Kameela is perceptive. She doesn't strike me as someone who could be easily fooled or coerced, and would fight tooth and nail, if she had to.

It breaks my heart to know that she's separated from her daughters. It's a nightmare that this could happen to someone who cared so deeply for the people around her. I hope the MGPD can provide some updates once they have pinged her phone and checked if there's someone she might have talked to. It just doesn't make sense for there not to be any evidence.

Welcome to WS and great first post! In regard to a lack of doorbell cameras due to it being a low income neighborhood -- I don't necessarily think that's true anymore. There is an app on mobile phones called "Neighbors by Ring" (or something to that effect). Anyway, you can put in an area's zip code and people will have uploaded footage from their doorbell cameras either showing crimes or suspicious individuals creeping around their property within that specific neighborhood. I have played around with this app as far as my locale and noticed that even in what would be considered a lower income community/neighborhood there are A LOT of people with these cameras. I think that's why you always see LE asking that people review their camera footage for anything out of the ordinary.

I had even looked into buying one myself due to issues in front of my house. I think just the one doorbell/camera was $100 or $99 on Amazon. That's not super expensive, especially when it comes to piece of mind and protecting one's self and family. JMO and all that jazz.

If something had happened to her and she wasn’t the one in the car or operating the car, why would the person (perp I guess) drive into the aunts driveway? Seems way too risky just to skew LE’s timeline.. moo

Going along with that, if it wasn't her driving, then it would absolutely have to be someone who knows her personally or a good bit of her routine, as I don't think a stranger would know where her aunt lived or even that she has an aunt located locally. And like you say, what exactly is the motive of driving there, pulling in the driveway, and then immediately pulling out and leaving other than a very risky move towards exposing yourself, MOO.

Welcome Sushi47! It must be difficult seeing someone you know missing. I wonder if she had a stalker?.
Hopefully she is found very soon and safe.

Thank you for your "inside" information...
Kameela sounds like a wonderful person!

I think the Heavy article has some info wrong. It says this: "Russell was supposed to pick up her daughter from her aunt’s house on Wednesday, May 20, but she never showed up." May 20 was not a Wed; she went missing on May 15. Also I thought she DID show up to pick up her daughter (or at least her car did for sure) but immediately left the driveway?

This case has me worried and IMO sounds like foul play. I don't really see any signs pointing to a voluntary disappearance. And even if that's what she wanted to do and was just hiding it well, why would you show up to get your daughter first and then turn around and leave quickly?

I do wonder if someone rushed into her car right as she pulled up. Perhaps someone who was specifically stalking her or just someone who saw an opportunity as she pulled up and took it. I'm assuming they have looked at her phone records to see if she got a call or text right at that time that made her leave. If you think about it, if someone was walking near by, they could run up and jump into her passenger seat in a matter of seconds; use a weapon and tell her to drive. This is all MOO. I am just running through scenarios of why someone would pull in and then leave so quickly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back