FL FL - Kevin McGrath, 26, missing from a cruise ship, Miami, 4 Sept 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case reminds me of Amy Bradley.

Who's taken our daughter?​

Where's Amy?

Twenty-three year old Amy Bradley was last seen by her parents in her room on a cruise ship bound for Curacao. It was the morning of March 24, 1998, and Amy had been up most of the night dancing in the ship's disco. She returned to her room and then went out for a cigarette, never to return. As the ship was close to Curacao and Amy was a strong swimmer, her family thinks it unlikely that she fell overboard and drowned. Two passengers on the ship thought they saw her that morning on one of the ship's elevators, further indicating they last saw her at about 6 a.m. in the company of a musician who played on the ship.
Much more at link...

Personally, I think it would be counterproductive to send out such an email to the passengers on the cruise. First of all, eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. And asking someone to recall something 10 days later when they could possibility have been inebriated would just send LE on a wild goose chase to verify the information.

I can't believe it's taken 10 days for the family to provide the information re the luggage tags. Ten days later we're adding that piece of information to the timeline. Information is being eked out by family members in fits and starts. Forty people at a celebration and so far we've only heard from a couple of them. Why? Why haven't they joined forces to provide a cogent timeline of Kevin so there is somewhere to start? Like I said earlier, I believe the hesitancy to provide an accurate timeline is because they are just as in the dark as we are in regards to Kevin's movements.

The reality is that no one expects a tragedy to occur on a fun-based outing. The focus is living in the moment not tracking someone's activity. It's possible Kevin did go overboard regardless whether the cruise line says otherwise. They don't say he didn't go overboard, just that their security systems didn't register that.
I agree with all of this. It does concern me that “Police said they determined McGrath did not go overboard, and it was eventually cleared to sail.”

I wish they had simply said they had no verification that he’d gone overboard.

Have we heard a statement from Carnival?

I would like to know how many times his card ma have been scanned for drinks. I have seen people overserved and it's a liability waiting to happen. I complained to guest services on my last cruise and they told me all their bartenders are trained to recognize these situations.
I want to preface my response with the caveat that any references to alcohol consumption are for discussion purposes only and that we have no idea if Kevin had a beverage package or if he even consumed alcohol during the cruise.

With regard to cruise passengers being overserved: I have witnessed passengers flash or hand $50 or $100 bills to a particular bar waiter to let him/her know that they are prepared to tip handsomely for "special" service that might include larger pours, top shelf liquor brands, special requests, and, probably, serving said guest more than his/her allotted alcoholic beverage quota for the day. I have seen this scenario play out many times on cruises: "I'll take care of you if you'll take care of me."

Unless Kevin somehow appears sometime (hopefully soon !) ; I'm still on the fence about something hinky happening to him.
And I'm not fully convinced he didn't go overboard, either intentionally, accidentally, or foul play.
This has to be difficult for his concerned loved ones, esp. when the boat was cleared to continue sailing !
Omo.

Unless Kevin somehow appears sometime (hopefully soon !) ; I'm still on the fence about something hinky happening to him.
And I'm not fully convinced he didn't go overboard, either intentionally, accidentally, or foul play.
This has to be difficult for his concerned loved ones, esp. when the boat was cleared to continue sailing !
Omo.
If the boat was thoroughly searched and he wasn’t found, why should it not be put back into service?

If the boat was thoroughly searched and he wasn’t found, why should it not be put back into service?
Hi Ice, I know the question wasn’t for me, and I agree the ship really had to be set back to sail.

The concerns from family might be: he’s still on the ship somewhere, deceased. And if it were foul play involving a crew member, a suspect or witness might still be on the ship and now away to another sailing or port.

jmo

If the boat was thoroughly searched and he wasn’t found, why should it not be put back into service ?
Yes, I just meant hard on his family as they still don't have any idea where he is.
I'd think it's safe to say he's not on the boat.

Hi Ice, I know the question wasn’t for me, and I agree the ship really had to be set back to sail.

The concerns from family might be: he’s still on the ship somewhere, deceased. And if it were foul play involving a crew member, a suspect or witness might still be on the ship and now away to another sailing or port.

jmo
Bolding mine.
Thanks, I think the bolded was my concern for what his family is thinking ?
This is so odd !

I don't think the cruise line thinks he somehow fell off, so how would he have exited the boat-- if he did ?
Omo.

I am believing more and more that his disappearance is intentional. I think he either found a way to get off that ship to begin a new life elsewhere or he just jumped to avoid future issues.
It appears he was already on probation and just 2 weeks before this cruise his ex filed criminal child support charges against him.

I am believing more and more that his disappearance is intentional. I think he either found a way to get off that ship to begin a new life elsewhere or he just jumped to avoid future issues.
It appears he was already on probation and just 2 weeks before this cruise his ex filed criminal child support charges against him.
I’ve been sitting on this info for a week. I wasn’t sure if it was ok to post it here with The Rules.

IMO, I think he disappeared on purpose. I have since the beginning. It certainly provides a motive for wanting to disappear. If he potentially had jail time hanging over his head or if he didn’t follow proper protocols to get approved to travel with him probation officer…still so many questions.

yeah that changes things for me
I was thinking accidental or suicide but now intentional disappearance is back in the mix

I’ve been sitting on this info for a week. I wasn’t sure if it was ok to post it here with The Rules.

IMO, I think he disappeared on purpose. I have since the beginning. It certainly provides a motive for wanting to disappear. If he potentially had jail time hanging over his head or if he didn’t follow proper protocols to get approved to travel with him probation officer…still so many questions.
I didn’t think it would be against the rules since it is public information. If so sorry!

I didn’t think it would be against the rules since it is public information. If so sorry!
Oh no! I’m good with it! I’m glad it got posted! I wasn't sure how it would fall under the Victim Blaming part. Admin or a Mod might see it differently. I have no idea. I’m so glad it is out in the open now so that his disappearance possibly being on purpose can be more seriously discussed.

When criminal charges are filed in a child support delinquency case, that in no way means the person is going to jail. The courts try to give the person whatever opportunities they can to get caught up. If they send them to jail, they definitely won’t pay and will get further behind. Generally, after charges are filed, the Judge will review the case, garnish wages, give X days to pay X amount. Then follow up. The threat of jail will be over their head the entire time, but it is in no way a definite. Courts will follow up every month until they are back on track.

Regarding being voluntarily missing…having cruised on several Carnival ships out of Miami, I honestly can’t see how he could have gotten off the ship without it being noticed unless he went overboard at night. Anytime during the day, there are people every. When you are at a port, you go through a scanner, they identify you, there are cameras, they count and recount. We had to sit at the port in Cozumel for 3 extra hours once because one lady had a few too many at Fat Tuesdays and lost track of time. Her friends actually didn’t even know she was missing. They thought she was in her room passed out. It system they have scans the scared and accounts for every person getting in and off the ship.

So, he goes missing off a cruise ship 2 weeks before he’s scheduled to appear in court regarding child support….he’s charged with “Criminal Contempt-child support”, willful failure to obey a court order. I think he’s hiding out somewhere. LE should probably keep tabs on the homes of his close family members. I’m getting Carlee Russell vibes. I doubt this whole story. Smh.

When criminal charges are filed in a child support delinquency case, that in no way means the person is going to jail. The courts try to give the person whatever opportunities they can to get caught up. If they send them to jail, they definitely won’t pay and will get further behind. Generally, after charges are filed, the Judge will review the case, garnish wages, give X days to pay X amount. Then follow up. The threat of jail will be over their head the entire time, but it is in no way a definite. Courts will follow up every month until they are back on track.

Regarding being voluntarily missing…having cruised on several Carnival ships out of Miami, I honestly can’t see how he could have gotten off the ship without it being noticed unless he went overboard at night. Anytime during the day, there are people every. When you are at a port, you go through a scanner, they identify you, there are cameras, they count and recount. We had to sit at the port in Cozumel for 3 extra hours once because one lady had a few too many at Fat Tuesdays and lost track of time. Her friends actually didn’t even know she was missing. They thought she was in her room passed out. It system they have scans the scared and accounts for every person getting in and off the ship.
If he did disembark in Bimini and didn’t return to the ship, then I’m thinking someone had his cruise card and scanned him in as coming back onto the ship. If there are cameras at the ship entrance, it should be easy enough for Carnival to verify KM did get back onboard.

So, he goes missing off a cruise ship 2 weeks before he’s scheduled to appear in court regarding child support….he’s charged with “Criminal Contempt-child support”, willful failure to obey a court order. I think he’s hiding out somewhere. LE should probably keep tabs on the homes of his close family members. I’m getting Carlee Russell vibes. I doubt this whole story. Smh.

Is it possible for someone to disembark without their card being scanned? For example if a large amount of passengers are gathering to scan cards and disembark st the same moment? Fumbling around with cards, etc? I know that people occasionally slip through the gates to board planes without scanning their tickets, they wait for the gate agent to be distracted. Often when several passengers traveling together are attempting to scan tickets for family members it creates a bit of a jam, the agent is distracted, and someone can walk past and board without being noticed.

Or if someone had the assistance of a crew member, would it be possible for someone to disembark without being noticed?

He’s already on 6 years probation for Aggravated Assault with use or display of a deadly weapon. Depending on the terms of his probation, his child support being in arrears could violate that order. Also. Just going on the cruise itself (if he didn’t get the proper permissions) could violate it etc.

That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for, and couldn't find. A reason to purposely disappear.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet
Back