FL FL - Kingfish Boat Ramp Murders, Holmes Beach, 1 Aug 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Those blurry images that everyone was asking about were posted in the Bradenton Herald in 2010. If you have a newspapers dot com subscription, you can search them. I'll attach them as well. I found two different ones. One published on Aug 1, 2010, another publised on Sept 19, 2010.

Very nice to see these. I remember looking at them years ago when they had a lot more material online about the case. The photos I saw were in color and one of them looked like a close up (maybe they just blew up the photo or I did with zoom) where you could clearly tell that the guy had dark, wavy hair but it was still a smeary mess. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but I'm certain they were in color.

John Toth, the photographer, said he took many pictures which makes me think we haven't seen all of them. He handed the film over to the cops and never even saw the photos until they put them up online decades later. I'm surprised you didn't get the pictures with the FOIA request as they must be in the case file. There's no reason to hold them back after all this time and I'm also surprised they haven't had photography experts take another look at them considering the leaps and bounds photography technology has taken since 1980. I'd think if they digitized them they might be able to manipulate the image into something far more coherent.

Coming back to revisit the case. After rereading this thread, and others, I just can't help but think that this was a targeted killing. The theory that it was a thrill kill, or a serial killer does not really fit with the fact that there was a getaway car. i also discount the guy who was said to be a homosexual and patrolled the beach on his bike. Why would he have a car parked at the supermarket?

Coming back to revisit the case. After rereading this thread, and others, I just can't help but think that this was a targeted killing. The theory that it was a thrill kill, or a serial killer does not really fit with the fact that there was a getaway car. i also discount the guy who was said to be a homosexual and patrolled the beach on his bike. Why would he have a car parked at the supermarket?

I agree that it would be shocking if this wasn't a targeted killing - because of all of the pre planning. Unfortunately there wasn't a single detail or fact uncovered to suggest any of the murdered individuals would have been targeted for anything. I think it was unfortunate that the news did a special report on the guy from prison. That entire lead came because a citizen in another state wrote a letter that basically said, "Gee, I remember a mafia hit that involved a bike as a getaway." (that actual incident wasn't even similar.) So the investigator literally went to purchase the book and thought, "Well, we've got nothing else, let's look into this." So he writes to this mafia hit man and, unfortunately, gave so many details about the killings to this prisoner in his introductory letter, there wasn't a single factual detail that the prisoner came up with that would suggest anything he said was true. He even kept getting Mr. Barrows name wrong, which was interesting, because he got it wrong in the exact same way that it was spelled wrong in the letter from the investigator. It was just very clear that lead went nowhere. And neither did any of the leads police had about the Barrows or Dumois families having anything in their pasts that would lead them to be targets.

Doesn't mean they weren't, but without a scrap of evidence, we must consider other possibilities.

I think the only thing the multiple getaway vehicles tell us is that this person planned to kill that day. That doesn't necessarily mean he knew WHO he planned to kill.

The purpose of parking a vehicle in a different area would be a simple as not wanting the plates detected. I'm certain the killer thought that biking from one scene to the next would enable him to get off the island more quickly undetected. Also the bike was necessary for the ruse to get into the vehicle in the first place.

The main takeaway is even if it was a targeted hit, the perp pretty much did it in the most risky and visible way possible. There were much easier ways to go about it than to plan a ruse to get in the vehicle and then open fire in a moving vehicle, then ride his bike to his getaway car. Most of that plan is stupid and unnecessary if the sole purpose is to kill someone(s).

If this person targeted them, they followed them to the island, so they likely knew where they were staying. If someone was hired to kill one or more of the Dumois family, the much less risky choice would have been to kill them at night in their rental cottage and drive away. It was a little house on a quiet street that would have allowed for an easy escape with no traffic.

The other lead about the gay guy who rode a bike around town was another lead that was nowhere near fleshed out, and I didn't even see any suggestion that police even looked at any of the "leads" brought to them by the PI. None of that is documented in the file. But I will say, just based on how the area is, many people familiar with the area bring bikes to ride the area and leave their vehicles parked. It's a great place to bike near the water, but folks who want to do that who don't live on the island have to bring their bike over via the bridge if they don't live within comfortable biking distance from home.

I get why you feel the way you do, though. I felt the same way before I read all of the reports. Without any evidence pointing either way, it's still a possibility. But looking at the actions of the perp on that day, I certainly don't think a thrill kill situation is off the table. It's at least equally likely, given all we know.

When I recently spoke to an investigator who looks at cold cases in the Manatee County area, he mentioned that other cases had gone the same way, basically a wrong lead was followed that led down a rabbit hole for a long time. He was interested in checking into possible similarities with other still unsolved cases. So I do know it's something they're at least considering. He was specifically interested in comparing ballistics from this and a couple other cases.

Last edited:
After rereading the last few pages of this case, I’ll be leaning more towards a sponsored murder. But if that’s the case, why would anyone want that doctor dead? Do we know what the investigation revealed about pediatrician Juan Dumois? Do we know if his wife , the mother of the 2 boys, was able to provide the investigators with any information?
"Maria Dumois, her daughter and her niece drove past the Kingfish Boat Ramp and honked to the men who had finished loading the boat on to the trailer. Ray turned around when he heard the honk and Juan was getting into the car. The women were returning from Famous Recipe Chicken were they purchased food in case the men did not have a successful day fishing. left images/07_KingfishBoatRamp1.jpg August 1, 1980" from https://mediaassets.abcactionnews.com/html/unsolved/flash/timeline/xml/timeline.xml

Last edited:
The mob hit theory seems to find its way into many unsolved cases yet the shock and awe of these murders pop's up red flags of a mentally ill or drug influenced person. The crimes happen in broad daylight without what seems no care about who may witness them. The perp shoot's the victims in a moving vehicle not giving a second thought that the drivers physical response after being shot may involve the car accelerating not giving the perp the control he did have to bring the car to a semi safe stop. Instead of just bolting on foot he grabs his bike and peddles away looking for the next possible ride and victim. Perp is confronted trying to commandeer another ride, again in front of possible witnesses. The perp also does a drive-by on his last scene maybe to praise his deeds or at that point trying to find a route out of there?. The shock and awe of these accidents gave onlookers tunnel vision with just blurry mental snapshot's of the perp leaving the scene. Just another theory but maybe just a mentally unstable or drug induced person who took the lives of others, God rest their souls and just by chance actually got away with this evil deed despite possible suspect's being questioned, wouldn't be the first time.

Just saw you guys on that documentary about Abraham Shakespeare last night. What a horrible story. It was fascinating to hear about how you guys dug in and researched it. If anyone here is interested in the documents I have related to the Kingfish Boat Ramp cases, I'm happy to share them. Just reach out and I can email what I have. I'm of the opinion that the more eyes the better and I know that local LE would be happy if any new leads came forward. I'm just about to dig into two very old Manatee County cases - Gettis & Merrill Lee and Kathaleen Hine. Waiting on documents now.

The mob hit theory seems to find its way into many unsolved cases yet the shock and awe of these murders pop's up red flags of a mentally ill or drug influenced person. The crimes happen in broad daylight without what seems no care about who may witness them. The perp shoot's the victims in a moving vehicle not giving a second thought that the drivers physical response after being shot may involve the car accelerating not giving the perp the control he did have to bring the car to a semi safe stop. Instead of just bolting on foot he grabs his bike and peddles away looking for the next possible ride and victim. Perp is confronted trying to commandeer another ride, again in front of possible witnesses. The perp also does a drive-by on his last scene maybe to praise his deeds or at that point trying to find a route out of there?. The shock and awe of these accidents gave onlookers tunnel vision with just blurry mental snapshot's of the perp leaving the scene. Just another theory but maybe just a mentally unstable or drug induced person who took the lives of others, God rest their souls and just by chance actually got away with this evil deed despite possible suspect's being questioned, wouldn't be the first time.
The amount of people who saw this perp is also noteworthy, given he got away with it. I think your thoughts about someone with some mental instability could be a possibility. The amount of planning regarding having a weapon on him and the extra getaway vehicle makes it so upsetting. My gut tells me it's someone familiar with the area. He was described as someone who was tanned, not sunburned, so it didn't seem like someone who was from the north having been sent down to do a hit, yet Mr. Barrows mentioned a northern accent.

getting fresh look again. The bike and car. The car was at the store. He rode the bike to where the victims where loading the boat on the trailer. Unless it was just a crime of opportunity and they were random victims he had to know they were going to be there. Even if there had been some sort of chance altercaion and he came back to settle the score it would be odd that he had the bike also unless he stole it from the parking lot of store and what are the odds and wouldn't law enforcement have mentioned a stolen bike? it does not appear to be robbery related. No mention he took anything. Waiting with bike lurking for them to return from nearby. He kills them and returns to store to retrieve car and where is bike unless he put it back it car or ditched it on way back possibly. It really seems planned. It does seem like a hit. The doctor and sons were from St Pete/Tampa and brother in law was from Miami so its unlikely a planned revenge from someone from Bradenton and how would someone know where the victims were going to be and aprox when they would return from fishing if it was something evolved from an issue back home for either of them. The perp was probably watching them well before, possibly that morning when they went out even earlier that vacation and were waiting for a good opportunity. Someone had a grudge against the doctor and or the brother in law followed them or was told they were going to be vacationing there. Someone wanted them taken out. Someone from work? Someone they crossed?

getting fresh look again. The bike and car. The car was at the store. He rode the bike to where the victims where loading the boat on the trailer. Unless it was just a crime of opportunity and they were random victims he had to know they were going to be there. Even if there had been some sort of chance altercaion and he came back to settle the score it would be odd that he had the bike also unless he stole it from the parking lot of store and what are the odds and wouldn't law enforcement have mentioned a stolen bike? it does not appear to be robbery related. No mention he took anything. Waiting with bike lurking for them to return from nearby. He kills them and returns to store to retrieve car and where is bike unless he put it back it car or ditched it on way back possibly. It really seems planned. It does seem like a hit. The doctor and sons were from St Pete/Tampa and brother in law was from Miami so its unlikely a planned revenge from someone from Bradenton and how would someone know where the victims were going to be and aprox when they would return from fishing if it was something evolved from an issue back home for either of them. The perp was probably watching them well before, possibly that morning when they went out even earlier that vacation and were waiting for a good opportunity. Someone had a grudge against the doctor and or the brother in law followed them or was told they were going to be vacationing there. Someone wanted them taken out. Someone from work? Someone they crossed?
I'm along for the ride you present as well and as shown in the past mentally ill people can formulate a plan brazen as it may be and spend a day or more to follow through with it. As you mentioned maybe the victims had an altercation with this person then not giving it a second thought as they went on with their day. Now in the perp's mind this offence to him is unforgivable and he will rectify it by any means. The throwing any caution to the wind moves the perp displayed as it all played out can give us a little peak into his mindset.

The amount of people who saw this perp is also noteworthy, given he got away with it. I think your thoughts about someone with some mental instability could be a possibility. The amount of planning regarding having a weapon on him and the extra getaway vehicle makes it so upsetting. My gut tells me it's someone familiar with the area. He was described as someone who was tanned, not sunburned, so it didn't seem like someone who was from the north having been sent down to do a hit, yet Mr. Barrows mentioned a northern accent.
Hmmm a person who lived in and knew the area and knew how to navigate around it well. A bicycle being a lower profile visibly speaking then a car and imagine even back in those days many packed a firearm around for self protection or darker purposes.

I visited both the store and boat ramp scenes - this ramp is located directly after you enter the island off the bridge. And the store is a minute down the road. Very close.

I absolutely agree that on the surface it looks like a hit. The perp planned to kill someone that day, for sure.

The reason I don't lean toward hit in Barrows regard is because he went right back to work after he healed from his injuries. He did interviews every time they showed up at his door. One would think if you had done something you know ended up killing half your family, you'd be less likely to talk knowing they didn't get you the first time. If you thought they'd come back, you'd probably zip your lips. He didn't. He didn't move, change his name, work with the FBI to go into witness protection - which you'd expect if this was some high level mafia type hit where LE had bigger fish to fry and could cut him a deal.

I'm along for the ride you present as well and as shown in the past mentally ill people can formulate a plan brazen as it may be and spend a day or more to follow through with it. As you mentioned maybe the victims had an altercation with this person then not giving it a second thought as they went on with their day. Now in the perp's mind this offence to him is unforgivable and he will rectify it by any means. The throwing any caution to the wind moves the perp displayed as it all played out can give us a little peak into his mindset.
Yes, this is one of the possibilities that I also considered. Clearly whoever did this has no regard for human life. They shot two children. The doctor and his family were on the island before the Barrows' arrived and had been out on the boat and around town for some period of time before they arrived. It's a small island and when we went, we drove all around in a golf cart. It's very quaint and "close" feeling - meaning wherever you stay, you tend to see the same people during your trip if you stop by restaurants and stores, etc. At the boat ramp, there are tables beneath some trees - picnic type - at the ramp where someone could sit all day and wait for them to return.

Quite in accordance with this hypothesis of a crime of revenge, of a crime prepared, of a premeditated crime . There is this detail: the killer pretended to be injured: "According to Barrows, the author of the attack approached them as they were loading the boat. He said he hurt his leg and asked if they could drive him.” ( from xgumshoe’s account) It looks like a trap.

Quite in accordance with this hypothesis of a crime of revenge, of a crime prepared, of a premeditated crime . There is this detail: the killer pretended to be injured: "According to Barrows, the author of the attack approached them as they were loading the boat. He said he hurt his leg and asked if they could drive him.” ( from xgumshoe’s account) It looks like a trap.
Yes, I concur. It really looks like revenge but was it revenge by the perp or someone who hired the perp. This is the question. The hurt leg rouse makes me think they knew that one of the victims was a doctor and would have empathy for him.

Just to be clear, the perp approached after they'd loaded the boat and were all inside the vehicle headed toward the exit. He approached the car at that point and leaned down to talk to them through the passenger window.

Yes, I concur. It really looks like revenge but was it revenge by the perp or someone who hired the perp. This is the question. The hurt leg rouse makes me think they knew that one of the victims was a doctor and would have empathy for him.
Sadly the Injured ploy has been used before with tragic results. Ted Bundy pretended to have a fractured arm to lure women to his car.

Sadly the Injured ploy has been used before with tragic results. Ted Bundy pretended to have a fractured arm to lure women to his car.
I imagine that kind of ruse worked well for perpetrators who used hitchhiking as a means to get into a vehicle, back in the day when that was common. What always interested me was that once he flagged them down as they tried to exit, and they stopped, Barrows basically said he walked the bike up to his window (passenger) and said he just needed to go up there, generally pointing in the direction up the road where his car would have been, Barrows and Dumois got out. But the perp walked past Barrows, around the back of the trailer and it was Dumois who helped him put the boat into the boat. I kept wondering why not just lift it into the boat on that side, rather than walking all the way around. Almost like it was Dumois who he wanted to speak with. Possibly indicating he was the target. Obviously that's supposition with no supporting facts, but it did make me wonder.

I think they could run the finger print again but from what I have learned through my college degree in criminal justice classes is that if they have never commit a crime there fingerprints are not on file and if they never get caught and fingerprinted back then it will not come up as a hit or even the worst case scenario is they could have died or even been the victim in another case which would cause the crime they committed not to be solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back