FL FL - Kingfish Boat Ramp Murders, Holmes Beach, 1 Aug 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
August 2nd 1980 - Tip: The University of South Florida Police Department found an abandoned bicycle on campus and impounded it, is there any more information about the bike?

Cincy, lets just say for arguments sake that the bike they found matched the color scheme of the one the killer used. What would be your synopsis? That the killer may have been attending USF at the time he committed the murders? If that its how it went down, would sorta make sense. The Dr. worked in Tampa. Maybe the killer is defending the honor of family member that they felt were done wrong by the good Dr.?? Going to USF and being close by to the Dr, he may have called the office and found out the Dr was on vacation, maybe jokingly , the killer asks, ahhh where did the good Dr go?? Ill bet dollars to donuts the Drs nurse or secretary , the one with the transcipt , told the killer, " He has a nice little vacation home on Holmes Beach.." , now killer knows where the Dr is and how long he will be there go. That would be a good theory!

Bud316

I have never seen that time line. I also have never heard anything about the map of Holmes Beach on the phone booth! Very interesting.. I wonder if there is a transcript of Dumois Jr.. i would love to read what he has to stay..Very good find, now i got to find the original with the pics and this timeline will be easier to read for myself at least. I mean of all the stuff the killer did, he would had seemed more professional then not and cant' imagine the idiot killer to do so much as to draw a map in a public payphone that probably hundreds of people used daily.. Then again, you never know, the killer seems short a few chicken nuggets from a 10 piece so anything is possible.

Bud316

The map on the phone booth wall at USF was found very soon after Florida LE had interviewed Juan Dumois JR. A day or so later. I kind of think Juan Dumois JR. was attending USF at that time, but would have to confirm that What it could mean,IDK... Could mean many things, I guess...jmo

attachment.php

Police said Richard Whitley was at a mission in tampa and did't have enough time to get from Holmes Beach to Tampa. I understand speed-limit now is 70 MPH on the interstate and was only 55 MPH in 1980 ( Florida's Arrive Alive campaign ). The mission is on the south outskirts of Tampa and the only route he could of used is SR 64 to I75. It is one road the murder scene to interstate which is approx 30 miles east of the murder scene. Richard Whitley stated he go to the mission are 1800hrs (5pm)..Whitley had PLENTY of time to kill and get to the mission in time for supper.

Just food for thought
Bud316

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 49
Here it is, i found it, I have been to the page numerous times before and i tried to save this flash file and i couldnt. I went back to try again it was gone. I found it, check out this link, scroll down and u will see the timeline windows, it has a slideable bar on the bottom to view the dates and pics... Very interesting. I see what some of my problems are, fire fox will not see the time line, if u use chrome you will see it half way down the page.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013091...generic/news/crime/Kingfish-Boat-Ramp-Murders

Bud316

Interesting and weird find on that timelime:

May 6, 82. After Burrows death, family asked for bullet to be removed from his head..Huh! I remember i gave an idea that the killer got everyone in the head except Burrows who seemed to just get a flesh wound. Who told burrows he had a bullet stuck in his skull and how does it disappear? I can not get this link to open in Mozilla firefox, it loads up fine in Chrome.

attachment.php

Attachments

• may 6 1982.JPG
    may 6 1982.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 117
Welp, here is Dumois III statement.. Are you in for a surprise!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 152
attachment.php

I was doing some searching and found this on Ancestry .com, under Cuba, under General.. After reading the statement above from Dumois III, these folks below have to be related?? Is it possible this family does not know Dumois Jr was murdered 35 years ago?

Susana Acosta (View posts)

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 11:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: Dumois, Ibañez, Ruiz

I am looking for information re; my grandfather Juan Emilio Dumois Ibanez, he maried Aida Ruiz and had twins Q.Margarita Dumois, and Juan Dumois Jr. He separates from my grandmother and lived in Cuba in the 50's. I believe Oscar Dumois is a cousin to my mother. If anyone has information on this family please email me. My mother would like information on paternal family. She was 3 yrs old the last time she saw her father. Thanks

Attachments

• Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 121
Sorry, i meant to tell you how to post a pic, its simple. I always hit the Advance tab in the bottom right of message. A box comes up, there are 4 pictures in the box one is for LINK (picture of the world) , Unlink (same pic) and the 3rd is for pic. A box will appear, select on top if the pic is on your computer or on the web. If its from your computer, then select my computer at top of box then hit Select button below, it will allow u to search for the pic on your hard drive...find pic, click ok, then click upload, thats it!

Bud

attachment.php
oppps I guess they found it:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 121

May 6, 82. After Burrows death, family asked for bullet to be removed from his head..Huh! I remember i gave an idea that the killer got everyone in the head except Burrows who seemed to just get a flesh wound. Who told burrows he had a bullet stuck in his skull and how does it disappear? I can not get this link to open in Mozilla firefox, it loads up fine in Chrome.

attachment.php

Yes, how does that happen? I believe he stated that the boys where sitting behind their father so the perp was behind Raymond Burrows. That was very close range. It's surprising he survived.

Welp, here is Dumois III statement.. Are you in for a surprise!

attachment.php
attachment.php

So he went Loyola for undergraduate studies... I wonder why he said he wasn't kept in the loop bout family business ?

Raquel and Edward Dumois were involved in narcotics smuggling in 1975 in Miami...there it is. The Key Biscayne hotel, where Raymond worked as a bell captain, was supposedly a favorite place of Colombian visitors to Miami in the late 70's/early 80's. They would rent the penthouse suit for a month at a time. So, it is highly likely that Raymond had to deal with these guests...jmo

attachment.php

The bullet looks to have entered the area at the top of his neck.Which is what Raymond said he heard a nurse say when he was in the ER. I forget who was shot in what order, but if Raymond had been the primary target, one would think he would have received a more serious head wound, but jmo

Raymond was shot first, I don't necessarily think this meant he was the target. I think the killer shot him first because he would have the best chance to overcome the killer (Dr. Dumois driving, younger boys in the back seat)...jmo. I would think as probably the killer did, that Raymond would have been dead from the one shot to the head and if he was the primary target the killer would have made sure to shoot him again.

August 2nd 1980 - Tip: The University of South Florida Police Department found an abandoned bicycle on campus and impounded it, is there any more information about the bike?

Cincy, lets just say for arguments sake that the bike they found matched the color scheme of the one the killer used. What would be your synopsis? That the killer may have been attending USF at the time he committed the murders? If that its how it went down, would sorta make sense. The Dr. worked in Tampa. Maybe the killer is defending the honor of family member that they felt were done wrong by the good Dr.?? Going to USF and being close by to the Dr, he may have called the office and found out the Dr was on vacation, maybe jokingly , the killer asks, ahhh where did the good Dr go?? Ill bet dollars to donuts the Drs nurse or secretary , the one with the transcipt , told the killer, " He has a nice little vacation home on Holmes Beach.." , now killer knows where the Dr is and how long he will be there go. That would be a good theory!

Bud316

Hi Bud316, Yes! I think this is a possibility. I really want to know more about the bike, at the very least the description. I do believe that the nurse/secretary unknowingly gave the killer the information where the doctor and the family would be.

I agree, it is probable that Raymond was not the target. Something in Dr. Dumois past OR something that happened on their vacation is the key to this.

Bud316: thanks for posting all of the resource data! I'm glad to see recent interest on this case on Websleuths again, and still feel (opinion only) that Raymond was the target (yes, my opinion is based on possible Miami drug involvement). Because the killings were so well orchestrated, I do not think it was an amateur that did them, coupled with the info that there may have been a driver for the getaway car. I have a theory that the family learned more about the true motive (they evidently hired a private detective) and chose to put it to rest to avoid public embarrassment. As someone else posted, maybe the reason that Raymond was not shot more times was to put the fear in him to comply with something related to the goings in in Miami...watching your family members slaughtered like that and knowing you were somehow responsible, and lived, would certainly do that. It would also help explain his own death not long after this incident. These are just my opinions/theories only, no disrespect intended for the families involved.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I am a long time lurker here for many years. This case is fascinating. My thoughts are that to me it is very clearly a hit, that the killer was a pro but still somewhat new, still trying to prove himself to the organization or to people who might hire him. The hit was pulled off with a lot of confidence and quickness and efficiency. Also, I think the hit was meant to be payback and potentially a message to others to not screw around with "us" with only those involved in that "industry" getting the message. No way it was random or something that just occurred on the vacation.

The bicycle provides a means for more maneuverability than a car in an area if you do not know it so well, also provides a way to get from the getaway car and back quicker and also allows the assassin to blend in moreso than if he was running away from the scene.

Not sure on the target, it seems that both men were close, I think it was both of them. I do think it was drug related.

Also, thanks to Bud for posting all of that info. It helps to put in perspective the investigation and read the words of those closest to the victims.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I am a long time lurker here for many years. This case is fascinating. My thoughts are that to me it is very clearly a hit, that the killer was a pro but still somewhat new, still trying to prove himself to the organization or to people who might hire him. The hit was pulled off with a lot of confidence and quickness and efficiency. Also, I think the hit was meant to be payback and potentially a message to others to not screw around with "us" with only those involved in that "industry" getting the message. No way it was random or something that just occurred on the vacation.

The bicycle provides a means for more maneuverability than a car in an area if you do not know it so well, also provides a way to get from the getaway car and back quicker and also allows the assassin to blend in moreso than if he was running away from the scene.

Not sure on the target, it seems that both men were close, I think it was both of them. I do think it was drug related.

Also, thanks to Bud for posting all of that info. It helps to put in perspective the investigation and read the words of those closest to the victims.

Welcome to Websleuths and that was a great first post!

:welcome3:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outsidecreativ
Back