FL FL - Kingfish Boat Ramp Murders, Holmes Beach, 1 Aug 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
hello, thank you to all for reading.. I have been having a hard time with my health so i been gone.. I wish someone would just come forward and say they did it.. I mean this is insane,. I actually went out to Holmes beach to the 24/7 laundry mat out there and stopped by the Kingfish boat ramp... it just amazes me how this could have happened,.. next time ill bring the android phone and record what i see, lots have changed but the picture in my mind of a station wagon going west bound toward the water gets obstructed by a gunman in the car. nothing like this has happened since. Still no clues. I wrote to FBI agent, police, detectives on this case when i posted all this stuff, and not ONE REPLY. just so you know.
Bud316

Wow.

I have heard of this case in passing and of course nothing was ever really spoken of it - after the first few posts here I guessed it was probably drug related somehow. Manatee County, I regret to say, has very serious problems insofar as illegal drugs go. I don't know if there is something in the water or what.

I will say this much:

Regardless of what you hear about the Suncoast - it is not Paradise.

MOO

To Bud316, thank you so much for the wealth of information you posted about this bizarre and tragic case.

hello, thank you to all for reading.. I have been having a hard time with my health so i been gone.. I wish someone would just come forward and say they did it.. I mean this is insane,. I actually went out to Holmes beach to the 24/7 laundry mat out there and stopped by the Kingfish boat ramp... it just amazes me how this could have happened,.. next time ill bring the android phone and record what i see, lots have changed but the picture in my mind of a station wagon going west bound toward the water gets obstructed by a gunman in the car. nothing like this has happened since. Still no clues. I wrote to FBI agent, police, detectives on this case when i posted all this stuff, and not ONE REPLY. just so you know.
Bud316
Hey Bud316...I think we figured this case out, thanks to your excellent work. Thanks...

Hello, I'm another first-time poster here and I just wanted to add that, in my mind, whoever did this, if it was indeed a hit, seems to have known beforehand that all of them were going to be coming and going from that particular ramp, during that specific time of day, on that particular day.

The only way I can see they'd know that, is if either someone in the family talked about it beforehand to someone else, or if the phone lines at the Dumois house were tapped (the only option back in 1980). If phone lines were tapped, then who would've had the ability to tap phone lines and eavesdrop on their fishing plans like that?

Just my two cents.

Hello, I'm another first-time poster here and I just wanted to add that, in my mind, whoever did this, if it was indeed a hit, seems to have known beforehand that all of them were going to be coming and going from that particular ramp, during that specific time of day, on that particular day.

The only way I can see they'd know that, is if either someone in the family talked about it beforehand to someone else, or if the phone lines at the Dumois house were tapped (the only option back in 1980). If phone lines were tapped, then who would've had the ability to tap phone lines and eavesdrop on their fishing plans like that?

Just my two cents.

Interesting thoughts for sure! My gut feeling (speculation and opinion only) has the intended target being the brother in law. Probably drug money related. A hit was ordered. The killer followed them to Anna Maria Island and staked out the rental house and waited for an opportune time. Would have been very easy via the bicycle. Including the other victims helped distract attention of who the intended target. They had been boating from the same ramp prior to the day of the murders, and would have been pretty easy to wait until they returned to the ramp to take care of business.

I honestly feel that had this been some kind of thrill killer (choosing the family at random) he/they would have repeated this type of killing at another time - can’t recall reading anything about a similar type of killing elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the years I come back and look at this case occasionally. When you take a break and then a fresh look sometimes you get different feelings about it. I'm really leaning towards either they ticked someone off that they ran into while on vacation (wasn't it the last day I think I remember) who followed them and waited. or, they stopped to get gas,bait, ice, and someone figured they had money, followed and waited and it was a botched robbery attempt. I'm just not getting the mob hit vibe anymore. Mostly feeling the wrong place at the wrong time.

With the recent high profile cold case being solved via DNA (Golden State Killer aka East Area Rapist), it’s too bad that DNA collection at crime scenes wasn’t in use when this horrific crime happened. This is simply one of those cases that should be resolved - if the victim’s family ever decides to be more active in promoting a search for the truth it would only help (although I totally understand why they may not want to do that as it’s got to be painful). Maybe one day in the future there will be a deathbed confession that will put this to rest.

Reissue of an article written in 1999 regarding the murders. It's been 39 years to the day since this horrible crime occurred. I sure wish we could see an arrest in this case.

39 Years Ago: Killing spree at Kingfish - Anna Maria Island News

Thanks for posting this. Seeing the graphic photos makes me even more upset that this cold blooded killer (and the accomplice driving the getaway car) have never been brought to justice. It’s too bad this case probably pre-dated DNA since the killer probably left his in the station wagon. Whether or not he’s ever been caught for other crimes I’d bet this wasn’t his only murders.

I haven't seen this pasted here. (Go ahead and let me have it if it is.) In it the Dumois wife is interviewed.

www.bradenton.com › news › local › article34490667

Holmes Beach horror: 30 years later, murders still unsolved ...

Aug 1, 2010 - Holmes Beach horror: 30 years later, murders still unsolved ... We kissed whenever we were going somewhere,” recalls Dumois, now 73, sitting in her living room in ... Maria Dumois and her family were renting a beach house on Anna ... cake with family members nearby at a table inside the Holmes Beach ...

I haven't seen this pasted here. (Go ahead and let me have it if it is.) In it the Dumois wife is interviewed.

www.bradenton.com › news › local › article34490667

Holmes Beach horror: 30 years later, murders still unsolved ...

Aug 1, 2010 - Holmes Beach horror: 30 years later, murders still unsolved ... We kissed whenever we were going somewhere,” recalls Dumois, now 73, sitting in her living room in ... Maria Dumois and her family were renting a beach house on Anna ... cake with family members nearby at a table inside the Holmes Beach ...

Great first post and welcome to Websleuths!!

I snipped this from the 2012 video.

View attachment 255557

Great video PayrollNerd - thanks for sharing!

I am convinced Florida should be nicknamed "Beware of Ruses State". Living down here for 12 years now and have had my share of them.

And some people wonder why I don't fall for men in parked cars at CVS screaming "Ma'am" after me as I head into the store.

pmsl

We drove past the murder scene today while on our way to Anna Maria Island to check it out.

I got a VERY creepy feeling looking at the Kingfish Boat Ramp which is right on the Manatee River, and I can see how it happened. There is a tremendous amount of out-of-state people down here this time of year (and yes, they start coming down here mid-July). Not too surprisingly, Anna Maria Island is an entire 25 MPH zone and extremely overbuilt and overcrowded. Palma Sola Causeway Park is also on Manatee Ave but looks much nicer - there was an event going on that involved ponys (pony rides for kids?). Being rather warm out, I did see some people swimming in the Manatee River. It's one of those river-side parks that has everything: picnic facilities, small watercraft like water motorcycles, water scooters, etc, strip of beach area, walking.

Sad because it is a beautiful area before you reach the overcrowded part of the island.

Being a Florida native and life long resident, this case has intrigued me for a long time. As Sleuthster asked above, have the blurry photos of the suspect shot by the passerby ever been released? I assume they were because I found some posts where it mentioned they contained links to the photos, but the the links have disappeared. I wonder why?

Last edited:
Being a Florida native and life long resident, this case has intrigued me for a long time. As Sleuthster asked above, have the blurry photos of the suspect shot by the passerby ever been released? I assume they were because I found some posts where it mentioned they contained links to the photos, but the the links have disappeared. I wonder why?

Welcome to Websleuths! I'm about 23 miles south of where this murder took place.

Thank you, I have been a long time lurker, and have read up on many of the cases, mostly the ones in Florida. After having read this entire thread, my opinion is that it was some type of hit. As you know, LE always looks at people close to the victims first, and I believe that is where the answer lies. Random mass murders on a busy street in broad daylight are just not common.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outsidecreativ
Back