FL FL - Kristen Gray, 8, found face-down in a Homestead canal, Miami, 3 Feb 1990

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Green_Turtle

Reaction score
Source: Miami-Dade Cold Cases 1990 - 1999
Case # 62727-K

Victim:
Kristen Gray, W/F/8

Occurred: The victim was last seen roller-skating on the second floor balcony of 7487 SW 82 Street Miami, Florida on February 3, 1990, between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Narrative: The victim's body was discovered at approximately 8:30 a.m., on February 4, 1990, in the C-102 canal which is located at SW 107 Avenue and just north of SW 268 Street (Moody Drive).

Kristen.jpg
This precious girl was spending the day with her step-father at the Dadeland Capri condo complex near Dadeland Mall in suburban Miami (known as Kendall if you're familiar with the area). Kristen's mom was at home taking care of a newborn son. She and the baby's father had recently divorced but were on amicable terms, and he had been a father figure to Kristen since she was very young. While the step-father was doing laundry, Kristen was trying out her new roller skates in the Dadeland Capri hallway. The complex is not very big, it has maybe 3 floors. At around 3 or 4 pm, the step-father realized that Kristen was missing. Friends and neighbors immediately began searching and the police were called. Tragically, the little girl was found face-down in a Homestead canal the next morning by a fisherman. She had been strangled. The location was about 20 miles south from where she had gone missing.

AFAIK, there have never been any suspects or persons of interest. At least none have been shared with the public.

Her mom Sue Beard spoke to a local tv station on the 20th anniversary of her murder. Mother of Cold Case Victim Pleads for Help

The Miami-Dade Police Department published a re-enactment video to hopefully generate leads/jog memories.

This case is so tragic and seems little publicised so posting to bump it. I hope investigators interviewed all the residents of the flats carefully as it would have been pretty easy for an abductor to lure an 8 year old girl into their flat for a moment. Rest in peace Kristen, I hope we get a breakthrough in this case soon.

There is something that I have always wondered about this case:
Seen by whom? The case details state that she was last seen roller skating at the apartment complex. I wonder if this is solely based on the step father's statements or if any other residents corroborated his account. I think it is highly likely that the perpetrator both lived in the complex and was known to her. Without saying it outright I think it's pretty clear to whom I am referring.
The likelihood of a complete random stranger seeing her and "snatching" her is so very unlikely....but of course not impossible. It does happen. But the odds are against it.
Would love to hear other thoughts/opinions on this.

Well, her mom was home as well, so my guess is her mom "saw" her too. I'm not sure I agree that a random snatching in an apartment complex in the 90s is that unusual. There were a lot of random kidnappings during that time period IIRC, at least where I lived.

Well, her mom was home as well, so my guess is her mom "saw" her too. I'm not sure I agree that a random snatching in an apartment complex in the 90s is that unusual. There were a lot of random kidnappings during that time period IIRC, at least where I lived.
But mom wasn't there actually. Per post # 1 on this thread mom and step father were separated/divorced. Since he was the only father figure she had ever known, they shared custody.
Statistically speaking, stranger abductions are incredibly rare. They do happen...it is possible...I am just saying that the odds are against it.

She was last seen on the second floor balcony by whom? Apartment laundry rooms are usually on the first floor, particularly in a small complex. So was Dad on the first floor? What floor was their apartment on?

She was last seen on the second floor balcony by whom? Apartment laundry rooms are usually on the first floor, particularly in a small complex. So was Dad on the first floor? What floor was their apartment on?
I would also love to know the status of the roller skates...were they on the body when it was found? This may be one of those details that investigators hold on to for a particular reason.

Some articles with additional info that I could find:

The following day, a fisherman found Kristen’s body strangled face down in a canal about 11 miles away from the apartment complex. Her roller skates were missing.

He was doing the family wash in the third floor laundry room. Each time he crossed the hallway he checked on Kristen. At 4 p.m. Kristen was gone.
Sixteen hours later a fisherman found the ballet student floating in the canal. Her mother remembers, "A freckle-faced 8-year-old..floating face down, like a broken doll, the red print of her sun dress bright in the dark green water. She was barefoot. Her new white roller skates with blue wheels were missing. So was her underwear."

An interview with her Mom to mark the anniversary f her disappearance; it contains police footage and a snippet of a re-enactment of her roller skating in the complex hallway (it's very long and narrow).

An article:

Miami-Dade Police longer video with Crime Scene and more re-enacment footage (but no sond!!??).

Kristen's Miami-Dade Cold Case Entry:

Thanks so much for posting this information @Vern
Let me pose this question: how difficult would it have been for an outsider to come in from off the street and kidnap a girl with roller skates (big and bulky no doubt) at 4 in the afternoon without anyone seeing or hearing anything? The hallways of that apartment complex seem to be interior so how would someone have even seen her? It was someone living at that apartment complex that did this...almost no question in my mind.

This timeline is suspect...... and it's different from what was in the other article.

Snip
Ron Shirk recalls seeing her last around 1p.m. Shirk, considered a suspect at one point, began looking for Kristen around 4 p.m. searching the building and asking neighbors if they had seen her. According to a neighbor, it was not until 5:30 p.m. that he called police and reported her missing.

Thanks so much for posting this information @Vern
Let me pose this question: how difficult would it have been for an outsider to come in from off the street and kidnap a girl with roller skates (big and bulky no doubt) at 4 in the afternoon without anyone seeing or hearing anything? The hallways of that apartment complex seem to be interior so how would someone have even seen her? It was someone living at that apartment complex that did this...almost no question in my mind.
She could have been skating by, a door opened, someone pulled her in, removed her skates, assaulted her, and carried her out in a bag/suitcase.

This timeline is suspect...... and it's different from what was in the other article.

Snip
Ron Shirk recalls seeing her last around 1p.m. Shirk, considered a suspect at one point, began looking for Kristen around 4 p.m. searching the building and asking neighbors if they had seen her. According to a neighbor, it was not until 5:30 p.m. that he called police and reported her missing.

Yes. 1 person controlling the narrative of the timeline.
The drive to the canal where she was found from that apartment complex is not all that far. Especially back in 1990 when there was considerably less congestion down here.

I wonder if they still have those 200 blood samples they took.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back