Found Deceased FL - Kristina French, 53, Neptune Beach, 21 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-wante...death-detained-enter-canada/story?id=51375361

Nov 26, 2017, 6:50 AM ET

[...]
Upon confirming the warrant with Florida's Neptune Beach Police Department, the officers were advised that Logan Mott was also the "person of interest" in a murder investigation in Jacksonville. Mott was subsequently detained and is currently being held by the Buffalo Police Department on the grand theft auto warrant, Bowker said. He has not been charged in the death of his grandmother. It is unclear when he will return to Florida or if he has retained a lawyer.

Under a typical extradition process, the teen would appear before a Buffalo judge and either ask for a hearing on the validity of the warrant or waive the hearing, the Buffalo News reported. Officials in Florida would have 30 days to pick him up, once he was cleared to be extradited.
[...]

If Logan doesn't live with his mom, how does she think it's up to her to 'give permission' for him to be interviewed / interrogated?

If Logan doesn't live with his mom, how does she think it's up to her to 'give permission' for him to be interviewed / interrogated?

I don't know the legalities of the interrogation, but she is still Logan's mother. We don't know the details of the custody case, but just because he lived with his father doesn't imply that the mother gave up parental rights.

jmopinion

I kept mine and I've been divorced since 2004. Better for the kids and a lot less work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree.....anything to avoid the crowded rooms and long waiting lines at the DMV and Social Security Office. If I were to divorce, I think I'd keep my married name just to avoid things like that. Paperwork headaches etc.

Physical custody by one parent does not void the other parent's parental rights. And we don't know that dad had sole physical custody, it could be joint but for practical reasons he stays with Dad during school year.

And I don't believe LE needs parental permission to interrogate him. She's either unaware of that, or doesn't accept that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Physical custody by one parent does not void the other parent's parental rights. And we don't know that dad had sole physical custody, it could be joint but for practical reasons he stays with Dad during school year.

And I don't believe LE needs parental permission to interrogate him. She's either unaware of that, or doesn't accept that.

He is in New York State right now. Under New York law they can't question him unless his parents have been advised on his right to remain silent and right to have an attorney present.

He is in New York State right now. Under New York law they can't question him unless his parents have been advised on his right to remain silent and right to have an attorney present.
Thank you! I didn't know some states had this protection for minors.

AFAIK, although IANAL – Logan Mott is a juvenile detained in NY on a FL grand theft auto warrant.
I believe LM is to be processed as a juvenile under NY juvenile laws in conjunction with FL juvenile laws through Criminal Juvenile Justice laws known as Interstate Compact. Some FL and NY links below.
Generally, juveniles aren’t to be detained in an adult jail (although some jails have juvenile sections) and it is mandatory that a parent/guardian be notified (could be that dad was notified before, or instead of, mom).

It has been reported that LM:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/teen-wante...death-detained-enter-canada/story?id=51375361
“was subsequently detained and is currently being held by the Buffalo Police Department on the grand theft auto warrant.”
“warrant with Florida's Neptune Beach Police Department”
“the officers were advised that Logan Mott was also the "person of interest" in a murder investigation in Jacksonville. “

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/p...an/senate-passes-interstate-compact-juveniles
Agreement Will Formalize Procedures For Dealings With Youthful Offenders
May 19, 2011
The New York State Senate passed legislation (S.2551A) this week introduced by Senator Patrick M. Gallivan (R,C,I – 59th District), that would make New York State a full member to The Interstate Compact For Juveniles. The Compact is a legal contract between all 50 states, establishing formal procedures to facilitate the return of runaways, and a uniform system to manage juvenile offenders residing in other states.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0900-0999/0985/Sections/0985.101.html
The 2017 Florida Statutes
JUVENILE JUSTICE; INTERSTATE COMPACT ON JUVENILES
985.101 Taking a child into custody.—
(1) A child may be taken into custody under the following circumstances:
[…]
(b) For a delinquent act or violation of law, pursuant to Florida law pertaining to a lawful arrest. . . .
[…]
(3) When a child is taken into custody as provided in this section, the person taking the child into custody shall attempt to notify the parent, guardian, or legal custodian of the child.

Sorry, OT but wish LE had done that with Marty Tankleff. :( After reading "A Criminal Injustice", I fear what can happen to minors.

I don't understand why she is keeping the last name Mott. Hasn't she been divorced from Mr Mott for a decade?
Exactly.
And has other children??

Maybe she wants to keep the name since it’s her son’s last name. I don’t understand why this is of any concern. I know several divorced women with kids who keep their previous name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even if they remarried? With three other children who presumably have the same last name as the new husband?
It's probably not a contributing factor to what happened, just an oddity in a case that makes very little sense, overall.

Does this really matter???

Completely irrelevant. They can all change their names to Smitty Werbenmanjensen, it's irrelevant. And in this day and age, many if not most kids are raised in divorced households, if their parents bother to get married at all.

We have seen nothing to indicate that the parents are anything but normal, loving parents, both of whom were active and involved, and with a loving grandparent as well. There is, at least so far, absolutely nothing to indicate that this family was anything other than normal. No family is perfect, no doubt they had their issues, but with all the cases here where the parents are truly horrible, abusive, neglectful, I'm shocked at the undercurrent of blame here.

15 is plenty old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, and plenty young enough to make poor, impulsive decisions without thinking of the consequences.

There's obviously much we don't know, but I, for one, have nothing but compassion and sympathy for these parents who have just had their souls ripped out.

For the time being my thought is drugs.

I'm not quite sure what to think yet. If it's drugs, I'm thinking Rx drugs. Perhaps he "went off his meds" - though I realize there has been no mention he was on Rx drugs (other than insulin).

I think the kid was super frustrated, but what prompted the frustration to burst violently like that, IDK yet.

jmopinion at the moment

Completely irrelevant. They can all change their names to Smitty Werbenmanjensen, it's irrelevant. And in this day and age, many if not most kids are raised in divorced households, if their parents bother to get married at all.

We have seen nothing to indicate that the parents are anything but normal, loving parents, both of whom were active and involved, and with a loving grandparent as well. There is, at least so far, absolutely nothing to indicate that this family was anything other than normal. No family is perfect, no doubt they had their issues, but with all the cases here where the parents are truly horrible, abusive, neglectful, I'm shocked at the undercurrent of blame here.

15 is plenty old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, and plenty young enough to make poor, impulsive decisions without thinking of the consequences.

There's obviously much we don't know, but I, for one, have nothing but compassion and sympathy for these parents who have just had their souls ripped out.

Great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members