FL FL - Lake City, WhtMale UP6246, 35-50, near I-10 rest area, Nov'78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Donald Thompson escaped from an Indiana prison on May 5, 1973 and I don't think he has been heard from since. His very distinctive teeth reminded me of this UID.
Most_Wanted_Image_bv.asp

http://doc-apps.in.gov/demo/wanted/Most_Wantedview.asp?DOC_Number=53424

I am taking this lead seriously Ambercat, thank you. I will be speaking with the Indiana State Police in the morning. I am also going to be talking to the former detective who worked the '78 case, and will collaborate further with him. Thank you for bringing this up. I didn't even fathom to think this guy could be a former inmate.

Side by side.

We have another Florida UID he reminds me of, the guy in Pascoe county with the neo-Nazi tattoos. (Nope, his teeth aren't that bad.)

Attachments

• forest doe and Donald Thompson.png
    forest doe and Donald Thompson.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 85
So, this is pretty out of left field, but....

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9139/134/

Robert Ahtonen's NamUs page says he went missing in 1980. So that would make him impossible to be this guy. But looking at his dentals I wondered if there was any chance the NamUs date listed is wrong. Think anyone could blow up the dentals to compare better?

His picture is from age 17. He disappeared at 30. Here is a sketch of what he looked like at 30:
ahtonen_robert_ap.jpg

I wouldn't even ask if it weren't for the dentals.

Damn, those teeth look close.

Here's a clumsy blowup of the two mouths. I don't have software to get a clearer picture.

Attachments

• teeth.png
    teeth.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 68
The circumstances of Robert Ahtonen's disappearance sound a bit sketchy. I wonder if he could have left the hospital sooner than they are acknowledging or if there could be a mistake in the date [from NamUs] --

Ahtonen was a patient at Newberry Regional Mental Facility. He was going to be picked up by his aunt for a home visit. There was a blizzard and she would not pick him up until the storm subsided. When she arrived at the hospital she learned that he had walked away from the hospital during the storm. He has not been seen since.

Thanks for all the leads and tips! We are actually looking at the Donald Thompson connection to this John Doe right now. Debbie Marszaleck with the Columbia Co. Sheriffs Office in Lake City is handling this lead, as well as the Indiana State Police cooperating with the leads. We are very excited about this. Stay tuned.

Hey everyone, posting a quick update here. I still have not heard back from the Indiana State Police on this lead, and NAMUS has not been updated to show that Donald Thompson was ruled out, if he has been ruled out. After sending links and emails to ISP, I have not heard back from them. Additionally, I haven't heard back from Detective Marszaleck from the Columbia County Sheriffs Office in regards to the Donal Thompson/Forrest lead. Once again, I will keep everyone up to date as to what I find out from Lake City. Thank you all for helping so far. Your help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATES

As everyone is aware, the case that I put up on Websleuths nearly 6 years ago has been solved. The 1994 Lake City, FL John Doe is Fred Paul Laster of Nassau County, FL. Additionally, may I add, a suspect was also apprehended and is awaiting his plea hearing. At this time I am following it and if you aren't, check it out at the Identified forum!

Now its been a while since I've been on this topic so I am now revisiting it and am also looking at some of the stuff that was posted in here later on since the Donald Thompson lead. I still to this day haven't heard from ISP and now I do intend to follow up with it. Also the Robert Ahtonen lead sounds VERY interesting. If what I understand, he went missing at 30 and was reported in 1980--not far from when the bones were found. I am planning to look into that lead closely especially since the teeth are nearly accurate! Because of m relationship with the Columbia County Sheriffs Office, I will submit those tips to Capt. Dicks.

Otherwise everyone, lets keep this case alive and get the comparisons pourinig in!

Quick update:

Donald Thompson, the escaped inmate that someone brought up a couple of years ago, is being looked into as this John Doe. They are trying to look for a living relative of his to obtain DNA and submit it for testing. It could take some time but I'm sure we will know something soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks for the update, Jason. I suggested Donald Thompson back in 2014 and had just assumed it wasn't him because I hadn't heard back from Indiana or Florida authorities. I guess these things sometimes take time. I was able to locate a few news articles about Donald Thompson at the time of his escape but none of them mention any family members. I would guess if he has family the Indiana authorities would know [and would have been watching their homes after his escape to see if he showed up there].

just a refresher
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/21umfl.html
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6246

Unidentified White Male
Discovered on November 24, 1978 in Lake City, Columbia County, Florida
Skeletal Remains
He is estimated to have died at least a year before he was located.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 35-50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9 - 5'10".
Distinguishing Characteristics: There was a healed fracture to the victim's nose; it may have been bent slightly to the left. He also had a healed fracture of the left foot; as a result, the foot may have turned outward when he was walking. He may have walked with a noticeable limp. The victim suffered arthritis in the pelvis area and spine. He had other healed fractures to the face as well.
Dentals: Available. He had numerous dental restorations. Overbite. Periodontal disease in all teeth present; Atrophy of the lower jaw in the molar area.
Clothing: Portion of pants leg (possibly denim).
AKA: Authorities refer to him as "Forrest"
DNA: Available at Minnesota State Crime Lab.

Case History
The remains were found November 24, 1978, along Interstate 10, about two miles west of Interstate 75. The decedent was located in between several planted pine trees. There were signs of foul play.

990685_Skull_Reconstruction__Front_[1].jpg19990685_IdentiKit_Composite_by_R._Johnson[1].jpg21UMFL[1].jpg990685_Skull_Reconstruction__Side_2_[1].jpg990685_Skull_Reconstruction__Side_1_[1].jpg

Thanks for the update, Jason. I suggested Donald Thompson back in 2014 and had just assumed it wasn't him because I hadn't heard back from Indiana or Florida authorities. I guess these things sometimes take time. I was able to locate a few news articles about Donald Thompson at the time of his escape but none of them mention any family members. I would guess if he has family the Indiana authorities would know [and would have been watching their homes after his escape to see if he showed up there].

You are welcome. I've been looking for new leads on this case since it's been a while and decided to revisit the Donald Thompson case. I mean it could be a long shot; however, no one necessarily heard back from Thompson after his escape so it leads to two things: one, he's a good Houdini! Or two, the man died while he was on the lam as he was trying to hide in Florida!

Got an update on the hunt for Donald Thompson's relatives to obtain DNA. Unfortunately, they have not been able to find any living relatives of Mr. Thompson to obtain DNA and match with Forrest Doe. Looks like something needs to happen soon because I firmly believe this John Doe is the inmate Donald Thompson.

UPDATE:

I was able to follow up with CCSO and NamUs on the Donald Thompson/John Doe potential match. I spoke with Carrie Sutherland, the case manager for John Doe and she said that they are going to be taking a closer look after the CCSO failed to find a family member of Inmate Thompson. She said that with more advances with NamUs, they should be able to figure out something; but stressed that anything that may come up is going to be confidential, including rule outs and matches until the Sheriffs Office says its okay.

Additionally, a CCSO member I spoke with mentioned that they had a horrible time trying to get the records of Inmate Thompson from ISP, since his case was from 1973. There were no details on why he was in prison or why he escaped. Whatever documents they found, however, revealed that he had not been spotted or seen since his escape. he is still considered a Wanted Fugitive in the State of Indiana.

Bear with me as I continue to follow this case for more leads.

Wow, sounds promising

Heard nothing regarding this case from CCSO. Here is a flyer I made years ago. Also, inquired with Carl Koppleman about doing a recon for this John Doe since I was able to obtain a full skull profile from the original detective assigned to the case. Carl said that whenever time allows him to, He will work on it but could be a while since he’s tied up on some stuff relating to DDP and other projects.

Attachments

• 8931A199-B681-4341-BB41-B79625673514.jpeg
    8931A199-B681-4341-BB41-B79625673514.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
EXCITING UPDATE!

I've been working quietly on this case, trying to see what modern-day science can do to help in this case. With that said, I have been in contact with Anthony Redgrave with DNA Doe Project. He is also involved in the Trans Doe Task Force and has volunteered his time to create a BRAND NEW facial approximation of Forrest Doe. I am excited to see how the finished product is, and when I am allowed to, I will share with everyone the new reconstruction.

In addition to this, it was mentioned that the DDP would be very interested in taking up his case, but the ball is in the the CCSO's court!

It's been radio silence on the Sheriff's Offices' end since summer of last year when I submitted potential matches on an unrelated case. I truly hope that the CCSO will consider the DDP's help, because if the DDP can help get Forrest home, that would be amazing and Columbia County's last Doe case can be finally solved.

Lots of things happening, and apologies for posting here sparingly. I've been getting extremely tied up in tons of projects!

I have received permission from both the artist and CCSO to use this facial approximation of Forrest Doe! All credit goes to Anthony Redgrave of the DNA Doe Project! Looks like Forrest may soon be worked on by DDP depending on the outcome of their exchange today!

Also, here is the link to the facial approximation timelapsed by Mr. Redgrave.

Attachments

• DC6AF370-3803-4435-959D-A10B3CBE0FE7.jpeg
    DC6AF370-3803-4435-959D-A10B3CBE0FE7.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A1565FDB-978F-4DE8-B155-7F6115F287FB.jpeg
    A1565FDB-978F-4DE8-B155-7F6115F287FB.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors