FL FL - Laralee Spear, 15, DeLand, 25 April 1994

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If there's enough DNA for genetic genealogy, then that should definitely be pursued to solve this.
If it was the case, I wonder why they did not do this yet, thus maybe the sample is not sufficient or deteriorated?

Also, I think they should stop looking at high profile people and start looking at people that would have least raised suspicion. Such as Church environment, good families around there, etc.
I believe she knew the perpetrator(s) and I also think there were 2 (or 3 ) young men in the car that took her. I don’t think this was a crime of opportunity, she was targeted because she was methodical, predictable and was a serious, religious, studious girl that probably was turning down the attention of young men.

The other fact that struck me was that her clothes, and I believe to have read also her bag and books, were spread along the road as if thrown out of a car. This is typical from people that bully or disrespect overachiever and religious students. I am thinking of some type of bet. Then she opposed the attack and s**x so strongly that he or they had only the choice of killing her because she knew them. 3 gunshots. This is also relevant.

Why would her belongings be spread? He or they could have just leftnthem on the scene. So either they started ripping off her clothes in the car, then due to the stress they forgot when fleeing and threw them out, or they did it while ripping them off. Not clear on which side of the road these were found.

IMO he or they are local, unsuspected men. If he or they were from somewhere else, I see less of a motive for killing. Probably wealthy, having later on maybe even moved county or country to leave this behind.

If I were LE, I would look on unsuspecting young men who left town in that period eg to study or work abroad in a english speaking Country

Just my opinion

ETA link

Last edited:
I did some basic enhancements on the images. They’re JPGS of low quality but the first one is definitely a price tag. Looks to me like it is made of some type of thermal reactive paper and was processed with cyanoacrylate (superglue) in a fuming tank for latent prints. I’ve seen that process turn thermal receipt paper gray many times and started using straight powder on things like that to prevent loss of what was printed on it. I would agree with possibly “Love” or something similar on the tag. Unfortunately, without a RAW file or at least the original image, enhancements are going to be limited. I’ll play with them some more and see what I can get.

@Tricia , couldn’t we get higher resolution photos? Close ups

Didn’t know about the above serial killer, however the MO seems to me a bit different. Eg haandcuffs vs rope
Surely LE has looked into this as the guy was moving all around and kept “trophees”

Didn’t know about the above serial killer, however the MO seems to me a bit different. Eg haandcuffs vs rope
Surely LE has looked into this as the guy was moving all around and kept “trophees”
Virginia did not look into him even though he was a suspect in a different case in the same area and had a criminal history .. Plus this case does look like it is out of his profile at first glance but a more reflective look actually makes him a really good fit for this case . They have his DNA.
He stalked teens getting off from school. Plus I need to know more about his Jiffy lube days . Because there is a missing man from Stafford VA that went missing with a whole black ford ranger. That has never been found.

Virginia did not look into him even though he was a suspect in a different case in the same area and had a criminal history .. Plus this case does look like it is out of his profile at first glance but a more reflective look actually makes him a really good fit for this case . They have his DNA.
Is there a geographic profiling of his crimes ? I’ve seen it for other serial killers and it helps finding unknown additional victims

Is there a geographic profiling of his crimes ? I’ve seen it for other serial killers and it helps finding unknown additional victims
There has to be as they know which states his was in I know some time was spent on it and some of it was released ,probably not enough to clear up our minds and it IS all about who is reading an catching on to the data on if things are slipping between the cracks. There is a thread on him and almost all the case mentioned in the wiki.

@Tricia , couldn’t we get higher resolution photos? Close ups
Only if they were taken by the person documenting the evidence. A lot of labs take only JPGs because of the storage space needed for the RAW image. Think of a JPG as capturing only a portion of the “visible spectrum” of the colors of the picture while the RAW image captures the entire spectrum with the image. That’s why the RAW format is always better to take when photographing fingerprints and other macro details because that little bit of gray adjustment could bring out just enough detail to get enough points of minutiae to make an identification. Also a very small adjustment to a RAW image makes a huge difference sometimes where you could max out the detail level on the same JPG formatted photo and still not have anything useful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill
Back