FL FL - Leslie Terrence Fistel, 16, Fort Lauderdale, 1 May 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case stinks... like rotten stench! You don't go missing for 44 years, no one reports you missing all those years UNLESS there's some kind of foul play.

My gosh was his mother so angry or frustrated with him that she didn’t bother to report him gone? What about Dad, siblings, family, friends? Surely they loved him and cared, at least after he’d been missing for a bit? We all need a break from our teenagers at time but never reporting him? So sad for this child.
This is why I believe foul play was involved. Why are they just now reporting him missing? His father was an attorney. Were people paid to shut up until the parents were gone? Who finally reported him missing??

This is why I believe foul play was involved. Why are they just now reporting him missing? His father was an attorney. Were people paid to shut up until the parents were gone? Who finally reported him missing??
We do not know the reasons for why he wasn’t reported missing until recently. In many cases from this era, even if a runaway report was made the case could’ve been purged from Florida’s Missing Children list once Leslie reached age 18. I dont really think they notify the families when they did this either so it’s quite possible Leslie’s parents were under the impression that their son’s name was at least still on police radar after all these years until they passed away.

They would also purge cases that didn’t have any obvious evidence of foul play or an inkling of suspicious circumstances.

Added Aug 7, 2024

Leslie Terrence Fistel​

• fistel_leslie.jpg
  • fistel_leslie2.jpg
  • fistel_leslie_ap.jpg

Details of Disappearance​

Leslie was last seen in Dania Beach, Florida on May 1, 1981. He was in an argument with his mother and afterwards climbed out his bedroom window. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

Added Aug 7, 2024

Leslie Terrence Fistel​

• fistel_leslie.jpg
  • fistel_leslie2.jpg
  • fistel_leslie_ap.jpg

Details of Disappearance​

Leslie was last seen in Dania Beach, Florida on May 1, 1981. He was in an argument with his mother and afterwards climbed out his bedroom window. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
So now the argument happened in May instead of September, as NamUS still records.

NamUs says "Leslie was 16 years old at the time of his disappearance," but his birthday was on June 10, 1964 according to the CP. The only way this works is if he disappeared before his birthday, i.e. in May 1981—not September. But if this is true, where did September come from? And why was he not reported missing for 43 years?

This story just doesn't add up.

So now the argument happened in May instead of September, as NamUS still records.

NamUs says "Leslie was 16 years old at the time of his disappearance," but his birthday was on June 10, 1964 according to the CP. The only way this works is if he disappeared before his birthday, i.e. in May 1981—not September. But if this is true, where did September come from? And why was he not reported missing for 43 years?

This story just doesn't add up.
It's my understanding the family tried for many years to report Leslie missing. Even going as far as hiring several PI's, with no luck. This was during a time law enforcement didn't take these types of matters seriously. All these years later, the family can only estimate the time of disappearance. Foul play was not suspected. It is possible Leslie assumed another name. There are no dental records available as his dentist long retired and his records have been destroyed.

It's my understanding the family tried for many years to report Leslie missing. Even going as far as hiring several PI's, with no luck. This was during a time law enforcement didn't take these types of matters seriously. All these years later, the family can only estimate the time of disappearance. Foul play was not suspected. It is possible Leslie assumed another name. There are no dental records available as his dentist long retired and his records have been destroyed.
I had a feeling this was how it went. I’m sad his family was one of many who were not taken seriously about their missing loved one.

As a reminder, this thread is entirely public, available to anyone on the web.
We do not know the circumstances if foul play was involved or if he ran away. We do not know what the family did/didn't do over the course of these last 40 years to find him. I guarantee they hope that he did run away and is living.

We here, more than anyone, should know a data system is only as good as what is put into it. Errors are made. Happens everyday. Websleuths, Namus and all other like-agencies are no different (LE, missing/Doe websites, etc.) And they also do not share all info publicly, even if they know. There are reasons behind it.

A runaway in Florida in early 81 was not an uncommon event and there are likely many more, probably thousands, that we have no knowledge of. Many, many of the missing get purged from data systems when they turn 18. The numbers of runaways LE deals with in FL is astounding. You all know that don't see every missing or Doe case on these youth. The NCMEC was not even formed until around 84 (as I recall). Resources were (and still are limited). In 84, he likely would not have even been accepted as a case due to his age and especially with no evidence of foul play.

Whether he ran away or foul play was involved, at the end of the day our mission is to find him. If this is something his family didn't want to do, they most definitely wouldn't now be putting his information in systems in effort to find him some 40 years later.

Wishing all of those searching for him some answers and peace <3

As a reminder, this thread is entirely public, available to anyone on the web.
We do not know the circumstances if foul play was involved or if he ran away. We do not know what the family did/didn't do over the course of these last 40 years to find him. I guarantee they hope that he did run away and is living.

We here, more than anyone, should know a data system is only as good as what is put into it. Errors are made. Happens everyday. Websleuths, Namus and all other like-agencies are no different (LE, missing/Doe websites, etc.) And they also do not share all info publicly, even if they know. There are reasons behind it.

A runaway in Florida in early 81 was not an uncommon event and there are likely many more, probably thousands, that we have no knowledge of. Many, many of the missing get purged from data systems when they turn 18. The numbers of runaways LE deals with in FL is astounding. You all know that don't see every missing or Doe case on these youth. The NCMEC was not even formed until around 84 (as I recall). Resources were (and still are limited). In 84, he likely would not have even been accepted as a case due to his age and especially with no evidence of foul play.

Whether he ran away or foul play was involved, at the end of the day our mission is to find him. If this is something his family didn't want to do, they most definitely wouldn't now be putting his information in systems in effort to find him some 40 years later.

Wishing all of those searching for him some answers and peace <3
@Help find the missing posted above that his family did attempt to file a report for many years and hired several PI’s. It sounds like they did more than enough to try and locate him. This sounds like another case where the police refused to take the report, assumed he was a runaway, and probably didn’t bother to add him to the state missing children’s list. I’m sad his family was forced to wait this long to get a formal report filed and I hope they get answers soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back