GUILTY FL - Luke Finch, 3, Cocoa, 28 Nov 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Witnesses say missing father and son from Cocoa escaped by sailboat
4:36 p.m. EST, November 29, 2009

Cocoa police said Sunday that the Palm Bay man who abducted his 3-year-old son during a supervised visit Saturday may have escaped with the boy on a sailboat.

After images of Paul Martikainen and his son Luke began flashing across television screens, investigators said witnesses called police and reported seeing the pair at a marina in St. Petersburg. They said the Paul and Luke got into a 32-foot Bristol sailboat and left the marina.

Police said they found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina. The sailboat was purchased in October by a friend of Martikainen's, and was recently painted "battleship gray," possibly in an attempt to conceal the boat on the water, investigators said.

The pair disappeared during a visit at Riverfront Park in Cocoa that was being monitored by a court-appointed supervisor because of previous allegations of child abuse against the boy, police said. Martikainen managed to elude the supervisor, and he and the boy have not been seen since 1 p.m. Saturday, police said.

It's unknown where Martikainen is taking the boy, and police are concerned because he has "no known extensive boating experience." Cocoa investigators are working with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the United States Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies to locate the pair and return Luke to his mother.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-missing-3-year-old,0,1753785.story

THIS IS A HE** OF A SCARY NIGHT FOR THE BOY.
His father's eyes look like a crazy man, he is not expert navigator, and the sea this time of year is no lamb.
I am afraid for this boy, really afraid.
:praying: for this child's safety, hope he is rescued. :(

No AA, yet? They could end up anywhere on the Gulf Coast, but people wouldn't even know to look for them. How far can this size boat go with a full tank of gas? Of course, he could have multiple gas cans on board.

Here's another article regarding the sailboat. The police need an AA immediately.

he witnesses claim they saw the pair get into a 32-foot "Bristol" sailboat and leave a St. Petersburg marina. Officers checking on the tip say they found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer.

Investigators say the boat belongs to a friend of Martikainen, but it's not registered.

They also say the boat was recently painted battleship gray, possibly to conceal it's identifying numbers and to hide it from the U.S. Coast Guard, because gray is one of the most difficult colors to spot on the water.

Investigators said Martikainen has not turned up at his home on Fournier Street, in Palm Bay.

Snipped from http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/11/28/man_accused_of_abducting_son_sought.html

No AA, yet? They could end up anywhere on the Gulf Coast, but people wouldn't even know to look for them. How far can this size boat go with a full tank of gas? Of course, he could have multiple gas cans on board.

Hi Daisy, well he can get far as it is a sailboat and even if he runs out of fuel the wind will push him wherever he is headed.
A 32 Bristol is a very secure boat, they are built for cruising and holds up to weather well as it is a full keel boat. It is built for long cruising passages.
What really is going to matter is how well this man knows how to circumnavigate the waters and how to handle the little boy if he starts to get severly sea sick.

I do not know what year the boat is that he is on but the link below will give you a general idea of the size and type of boat :

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Bristol-Sloop-2029728/Tracy's-Landing/MD/United-States

I most certaily hope they find Luke soon, I am sure the coast gaurd is on top of it looking for them...not sure why they have not issued an alert yet...

Search for dad, boy hits the seas
Palm Bay man sought in parental-custody case
By RICK NEALE AND JIM WAYMER • FLORIDA TODAY • November 30, 2009

The search for a Cocoa man and his 3-year-old son in a parental-abduction case took a strange and nautical turn Sunday when police said the man was spotted in St. Petersburg, boarding a friend’s boat with the boy and setting sail.

Witnesses who saw Paul Martikainen, 35, and son Luke Finch on the news Saturday night called police and reported they had seen them take a dinghy out to a 32-foot Bristol sailboat at about 4 p.m. at a St. Petersburg marina, Cocoa police said.

Police in Cocoa said Saturday that Martikainen disappeared with his son from a supervised visit in a Cocoa park.

St. Petersburg police responded to the Salt Creek Marine Center and found Martikainen’s green 1995 Ford Explorer.

Investigators determined that one of Martikainen’s friends bought the sailboat in October and the vessel remains unregistered. The boat was recently painted battleship gray, possibly to conceal identifying numbers and to camouflage the craft while under way, Cocoa Police spokeswoman Barbara Matthews said

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...1006/news01/Search+for+dad++boy+hits+the+seas

Coast Guard asks boaters to watch for missing boy, sailboat

ST. PETERSBURG - The Coast Guard is asking boaters in the Tampa Bay area to report any sightings of a gray sailboat that may have a missing 3-year-old boy on board.

A missing child alert was issued Saturday for Luke Finch, last seen in Cocoa wearing a blue sweatshirt, blue pants, and black-and-red sneakers.

Cocoa police say the boy may be with his father, 35-year-old Paul Martikainen.

After Debra Vanskiver saw Finch and Martikainen on the news Saturday night, she called the police to tell them she'd had seen the pair at the Salt Creek Marina in St. Petersburg.

"When they showed the picture of the father that was pretty much a big shock to me and my husband," she said. "I absolutely recognized him. He was a customer of our company as well as the marina."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/no...boaters-watch-missing-boy-sailboa/news-metro/

Another odd twist in the story

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/no...ters-watch-missing-boy-sailboa/news-breaking/

After Debra Vanskiver saw Finch and Martikainen on the news Saturday night, she called the police to tell them she'd had seen the pair at the Salt Creek Marina in St. Petersburg.

"When they showed the picture of the father that was pretty much a big shock to me and my husband," she said. "I absolutely recognized him. He was a customer of our company as well as the marina."

Vanskiver works at Neptune Towing and Recovery near the Salt Creek Marina, and knows Martikainen.

"He never come across as being somebody that would do anything wrong," she said.

Vanskiver called St. Petersburg police and the U.S. Coast Guard. When officers arrived, they found Martikainen's 1995 green Ford Explorer at the marina. Finch and Martikainen were last seen there about 5 p.m. Saturday, police say.

Witnesses said they saw the two board a 32-foot Bristol sailboat and leave the marina, police said.

The sailboat was purchased in October by a friend of Martikainen's and is still not registered in the name of the friend or Martikainen. Investigators found that the boat was recently painted battleship gray, possibly to conceal identifying numbers, police said.

Vanskiver said Martikainen told her he planned on visiting family on Florida's east coast for the Thanksgiving holiday, and when she saw him Saturday afternoon, she assumed he'd returned from his trip.

"I don't know if this is something that was planned and calculated, and he's that good of a liar and manipulator," she said. "Or if it was a last minute, spur-of-the-moment, 'I've got to react now' and then he panicked and ran."

Local search continues for missing boy
Alert issued for father, sailboat
Updated: Monday, 30 Nov 2009, 5:20 AM EST
Published : Monday, 30 Nov 2009, 5:15 AM EST

ST. PETERSBURG - Police believe a 3-year-old Cocoa boy who was reported missing Saturday may be in the St. Petersburg area.

Luke Finch is believed to be with his father, Paul Martikainen, who does not have custody of the boy. Police say Martikainen vanished with Luke during a supervised visit over the weekend

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/pinellas/missing-cocoa-boy-st-pete-113009

Search for Palm Bay dad, son hits high seas

Martikainen has no known extensive boating experience, Matthews said. “We’re not sure he has a destination in mind,” she said. “We don’t know where he’s going, where he’s taking the child. He’s certainly not an experienced sailor, which is a concern.”

Cocoa detectives are working with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, U.S. Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies to find the boat.

“It’s a huge search area,” Matthews said. “That area is absolutely flooded with boats that are now winter residents.”

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...6/Search+for+Palm+Bay+dad++son+hits+high+seas

Authorities Search The Seas For Missing Boy
Monday, November 30, 2009 8:22:17 AM

The Coast Guard is searching the water, but said the color of the boat will make the search much more challenging because that color is hard to see in the water and they are concerned because they don't believe Martikainen has any boating experince.

Officials said the boat was purchased by a friend of Martikainen a few months ago.

The father was forced to have supervised visits with the boy because of alleged abuse allegations.

Kelly Bombriant, who lives just a few houses away from Martikainen in Palm Bay, said he has been very upset over these issues. She said he spends a lot of time with her family and believed him to be a good dad.

"We've spent a lot of time with Luke and Paul, and we really don't see it. He was very protective of him. My daughter would play with him and he was always making sure everything was OK," Bombriant said.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/11/30/authorities_watch_the_seas_for_missing_boy.html

Apparently none of the people they are talking to has seen this man's record. MOO

I guess his mom hasn't been in the news yet? I wonder if there are siblings.

For Luke's sake I hope dad at least had "Sailing for Dummies" to refer to. I really wonder if he planned on sailing off somewhere far or just up the coast.

It is a good way to travel if you do not want to be seen I admit, but my concern lies where the coast gaurds does and that is no experience with boating.
My husband has a 100 ton captains license. He has been out in open ocean numerous times and you really need to know how to navigate, read charts and be able to watch for things in the water that are unexpected. Not to mention when this man is going to sleep as the boat needs manned 24 hours unless you are anchored somewhere or docked up.
It was apparently well thought out. I wonder whom the friend is that purchased the boat ? They have not mentioned if this person is with them or not, but how would they not know that the boat had been painted battleship gray you usally have to have the boat hauled out to paint it ...?
The boating communities are usally tight nit and they will be looking for them and they will notice him. I hope they are passing out fliers to all the boaters in the area and up the east coast and gulf coast for that matter.
If he had planned this much already certainly his end plan is there, perhaps he has another vehicle waiting for him up the coast at another marina.
At some point he will have to come in for more provsion's as there is only so much water the boat can hold and only so much food you can store..this is so odd....
Prayers for a good outcome today....

At St. Petersburg marina, boaters worry about father, son he may have abducted
By Emily Nipps and Andy Boyle, Times Staff Writers
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 09:19 AM

Debra Van Skiver, who works for a towing company near the marina, said she sold the boat, a 1977 32-foot Bristol, to Martikainen for $6,109 during the third week of October. He told friends he was purchasing it for someone in Arkansas and would be transporting it after working on it, but Martikainen himself had no sailing experience.

He appeared to be living aboard the boat as he worked on it, said Ted Scaratt, whose boat was docked next to Martik's.

He mentioned he would try sailing it after visiting his son over Thanksgiving, Van Skiver said, and she advised him to take some boating classes first.

"This is a man with not a lot of sailing experience," Van Skiver said, noting that she has a child too. "It is impossible to take care of a child and sail a boat without multiple people."

The boat was recently painted battleship gray, covering the identifying numbers and making the vessel difficult to find in the water. This led authorities to believe the abduction was planned, according to Cocoa Beach police spokeswoman Barbara Matthews.

Finch was reported missing Saturday afternoon after he disappeared from a Cocoa park during a visit with his father monitored by a court-appointed supervisor. Martikainen, 35, was able to slip away sometime after noon.

An Amber Alert sent out Saturday evening said Martikainen was thought to be traveling in a green 1995 Ford Explorer with tag number 142KEA. Shortly after news of the alert ran on local news broadcasts, a caller told authorities that the vehicle was at the marina, Matthews said.

People who got to know Martikainen at the marina described him as a nice, friendly guy who often brought doughnuts to share with other boaters.

Scaratt, Martikainen's neighbor at the marina, said Martikainen has dual citizenship and said he once served in the military in Finland. "He never gave an indication that he was capable of this," Scaratt said.

Van Skiver said the boat was seaworthy. It has a sleeping cabin, a kitchenette and standard safety equipment such as a compass and VHF radio. He recently purchased a GPS system before Thanksgiving, she said, but it has no EPIRB, a device that helps rescuers locate boats in distress.

The boat also had adult life vests but no child vests, and Van Skiver didn't know if Martikainen bought one.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...about-father-son-he-may-have-abducted/1055279

Alright, he is a kidnapper and endangering the life of his child. You'd think people would stop singing his praises.MOO.

Do they seem to have any inkling where he could be sailing to? I hope they do, I got nothing. I am not boat and sailing savvy, so I am lost. I just hope for the best.
Seems like there is SO much that could go wrong at this point.

Alright, he is a kidnapper and endangering the life of his child. You'd think people would stop singing his praises.MOO.

Do they seem to have any inkling where he could be sailing to? I hope they do, I got nothing. I am not boat and sailing savvy, so I am lost. I just hope for the best.

I talked with my husband this morning about Luke, he was shocked this guy would do this given he had no experience. His take on things were this fwiw...

DH said that Paul could easily head to Mexico from where he launched from but doubted he would do that given no experience really in navigation or sailing. He said that he did not find it unsual for Paul not to have an EPRIB which is an emergency device to help locate boats that are in trouble because they have to be registered by law, and of course the obvious you can be tracked.
He also said the paint color Battleship Grey is near immpossible to see on the water, and will raise some eyebrows if pulling into dock somewhere...everyone who sails or boats knows you do not paint your boat this color....
His thought is that Paul probally has someone helping him and may sail to another Marina somewhere up the coast where there is another vehicle waiting for him and take off from there, or a concern he had was if Paul does have any help he could meet up with another boater anywhere, board their boat and let the Bristol just drift and it would be real hard to determine if they fell out of the boat and drown or if they where alive somewhere....

Have we learned what other citizenship Paul has ?

FBI seeks man in parental custody case

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is joining the search for a Cocoa man accused this weekend of abducting his 3-year-old son during a court-supervised visit, then setting sail on a friend's boat off a St. Petersburg marina.
Cocoa Police Department spokeswoman Barbara Matthews said the FBI is preparing an "Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution" warrant for 35-year-old Paul Martikainen.

Witnesses who saw Martikainen and son Luke Finch on the news Saturday night called police and reported they had seen them take a dinghy out to a 32-foot Bristol sailboat at about 4 p.m. at a St. Petersburg marina, Cocoa police said.

Police in Cocoa said Saturday that Martikainen disappeared with his son from a supervised visit in a Cocoa park.

St. Petersburg police responded to the Salt Creek Marine Center and found Martikainen's green 1995 Ford Explorer.

In a statement issued Monday, Matthews said police are seeking a warrant to search the vehicle.

The U.S. Coast Guard is broadcasting an announcement each hour on the marine emergency channel, while authorities attempt to locate the vessel, which witnesses reportedly saw towing a skiff behind it, police said

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-30-florida-custody-case_N.htm

Guzman said at one point the boy emerged from inside the boat, but Martikainen told him to go back. The boy didn't seem scared, Guzman said.

"We should have saved the boy," Guzman said. "We could have saved him had we known."

In recent weeks, Guzman said, Martikainen started asking various boating questions, such as how to tie certain types of knots

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...marina-boaters-worry-about-father-son/1055279

I'm lost, too, with no idea how far they could have gone since Saturday, how hard it would be to spot the boat, when the Coast Guard search started, fuel use, etc.

I wonder if the father cleaned out his bank account or did anything else to suggest he had a plan?

Where could he plan to go? It seems like the only non-U.S. territory he could maybe reach is Cuba or the Bahamas? It seems like he might be better off heading north and coming ashore in Georgia or the Carolinas?

The poor little boy must be terrified. I'm sure the dad isn't relaxed and peaceful. I hope they find him today and put this man in jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000
Back