Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am understanding the court docs and videos I watched, SS never went to the storage unit following Maddie’s murder. There was a computer error that misread when the unit was last accessed. However, before LE became aware of that information they were able to obtain a warrant to see if SS was hiding Maddie in CS’ unit. They were also able to search vacant units near CS’ as well.

The Sterns state that they moved to North Port in May 2020. It appears that SS had a few things stored there, include the hard drives and thumb drives, from that time when his parents moved housing locations. These thumb and hard drives contained 30K worth of CSAM material unrelated to MS’ case and have not been used but stored in a storage bin in the left back corner of CS’ unit.

Shortly after his interviews with LE, and after they already collected SS’ desktop computer, CS went through his storage unit to confirm for himself whether or not SS had actually accessed it or his evidence there. He found the drives in the back storage bins, reported it to LE who then obtained a warrant and collected them as part of their investigation and the 30,000 CSAM images on them.

As other commenters have mentioned, the desktop that was collected was missing its hard drive.
Missing hard drive was from computer in the Sterns home, as CS said he had witness SS on the computer before he left for JS's.
And as for the broken lock...seems suspicious....maybe broken on purpose. Someone removed the HD.

And CS also said something about the lock in the storage unit was not closed correctly but did not give time frame, he had to go take care of it, not sure timeframe. I think CS and DS might be lying about some key parts of the story regarding computers.

Missing hard drive was from computer in the Sterns home, as CS said he had witness SS on the computer before he left for JS's.
And as for the broken lock...seems suspicious....maybe broken on purpose. Someone removed the HD.

And CS also said something about the lock in the storage unit was not closed correctly but did not give time frame, he had to go take care of it, not sure timeframe. I think CS and DS might be lying about some key parts of the story regarding computers.
I would like to find something that states where CS found the thumb drives. We know the desk top CS gave to LE was missing a hard drive, and the hard drive he found in the storage unit did not belong to that desktop but what about the thumb drive ? its important only b/c, if from the house, it doesnt make sense that SS would take a hard drive and not a tiny thumb drive.

Last edited:
the only problem with maddie stopping her meds b/c of a pregnancy would indicate she was thinking of carrying it, and like @iamshadow21 has said before , that would get some attention from the 5-0 and child welfare.
but she was a child and likely not thinking about the trouble that would create. Don't young girls that age often want a baby "of their own"?

I would like to find something that states where CS found the thumb drives. We know the desk top CS gave to LE was missing a hard drive, and the hard drive he found in the storage unit did not belong to that desktop but what about the thumb drive ? its important only b/c, if from the house, it doesnt make sense that SS would take a hard drive and not a tiny thumb drive.
Oh, my.

Could it be that SS asked CS to bring him the thumb drive when he came to Kissimmee?

JS and SS weren't 16 year old kids who needed a credit card holder to secure them a hotel room. So why did they need another adult?

Here's my litmus test: if a person shows himself/herself to be untruthful in one regard, I can regard everything s/he says with careful skepticism.

I get the sense that SS's parents are used to never ending clean up, tasked with the elephant with irritable bowels. I get the further sense that each parent did so but in different ways and without the other knowing.

The man is in his later 30s. They're still wiping his behind.

JMO

I could be wrong, but I thought the thumb drive was hidden in SS's bedroom and found by his mother when she was cleaning up. Hard to keep everything straight! SS could have forgotten about it.

Oh, my.

Could it be that SS asked CS to bring him the thumb drive when he came to Kissimmee?

JS and SS weren't 16 year old kids who needed a credit card holder to secure them a hotel room. So why did they need another adult?

Here's my litmus test: if a person shows himself/herself to be untruthful in one regard, I can regard everything s/he says with careful skepticism.

I get the sense that SS's parents are used to never ending clean up, tasked with the elephant with irritable bowels. I get the further sense that each parent did so but in different ways and without the other knowing.

The man is in his later 30s. They're still wiping his behind.

JMO
and SS going to Kissimmee, was a trip jenn was paying for according to that interview, but CS filled the car up with gas to make sure he got away lol. They appreciated the break. practically pushing him out the door.

and SS going to Kissimmee, was a trip jenn was paying for according to that interview, but CS filled the car up with gas to make sure he got away lol. They appreciated the break. practically pushing him out the door.
Like he was a problem juvenile child.

And not grown asp man who never learned to stand on his own two feet. Because he never had to.

Do his homework. Make excuses. Find him a job. Provide free room and board. Give him privacy for adult time. Fill his tank. Pay for his hotel. Buy him rootbeer barrels.

Might take another 37 years to unwind that loop.

JMO

yes, where is the hard drive? his father claiming the keypunch wasnt working and SS couldnt get in their house on the 28th because he didnt have the garage clicker. CS further said he saw SS using his desktop computer on 2/24.

his mother talks about all the dogs barking, "I actually looked at my watch because I was alone, it was 3:19 in the morning'. how observant about the time. went and got a flashlight and was looking out all of the windows. must have been a critter she says.

could it be SS was the critter and she let him in? funny his father is so observant about the 24th seeing SS on his desktop. and then the hard drive is missing. the one in the storage unit didnt have anything on it, 2 years old.

then fast forward to his father's phone call with SS in jail that was recorded: SS says he went to northport to get all his 'ducks in a row, grab some of my things, kind of prepare myself for whatever was coming' but I couldnt find what I was looking for'.<----LE said while in newport this was the time he tried logging into his google account using the parents wifi.

its also interesting in his parents interview that his mother said she took pictures of his room before it was searched. why would she do that? and after that she starting cleaning out the room, getting rid of his 'trash'.

I dunno, his parents knew of all of his interests, what games he played, where he went, etc. even right down to his bank accounts, his health insurance which lapsed, and dad got him health insurance, gave him 'his spare phone for business' when LE took his phone....

they flip from he is a liar, his father "I never know when he is lying', but to his mother, he is a genius and blah blah. his parents IMO had alot of conflicting statements, too many too enumerate. IMO, quite a study the dynamics, especially when his mother talks about him getting a tattoo, she will let him if blah blah blah he does whatever and then she will research reputable tattoo parlors for cleanliness and whatever. IMO, TMI, which didnt mean shi% concerning his relationship with Madeline and JS. they really didnt know Madeline or JS.

in short, their house was a revolving door for him...and they wouldnt rock SS's boat to keep their own peace. kind of like JS. see no evil, hear no evil.
Snipped from above: "its also interesting in his parents interview that his mother said she took pictures of his room before it was searched. why would she do that? and after that she starting cleaning out the room, getting rid of his 'trash'."

I think it's so she could (in her mind) hold LE responsible if anything was broken or 'missing.' She comes across, to me, as one of those people who expects to be wronged by others and stays in self-protection mode.

I could be wrong, but I thought the thumb drive was hidden in SS's bedroom and found by his mother when she was cleaning up. Hard to keep everything straight! SS could have forgotten about it.
If I was defending SS, I'd ask how it can be proven it belonged to SS. The police didn't find it in SS's room right? The mom did... could it be CS's? Who knows?

Its possible to run Windows along with required "boot" drivers on a thumb drive and do all writing/download to another thumb drive or external hard drive: remove the second drive and the machine has nothing at all on it; not even use history or "recent" menu. Besides some editing of the ROM-BIOS, on older desktop machines the arrangement required a power bridge (jumper) to be applied to the SATA or MOLEX connector. Old fashioned advantage was, if the typical applications were memory hogs (any of the CAD programs; some photo editors; RPG and video editors), Windows would load very quickly and you could clear up EM and scheduling type topics before starting up the big ugly, where you might spend the rest of your day.
This could be configured and partitioned with some software such that the exit state for each application was stored on individual thumb drives so the operator opened that alone, not all the exit states/ recent saves, event logs or backup files from the rest of the applications that might be on a machine. As desktops got cheaper and networks more capable, much of this configuring and structuring to make a single machine more time effective, was replaced by the simple step of adding more machines.
So, the machine may not ever have had a conventional hard drive; it may have run off some mix of external HDD or SSDD and thumb drives or even laser disks or mag disks....though that would be apparent from the start up BIOS and the file management arrangement. For the desktop in the Stearns house: If none of those were there, then there is still some files and firmware to be found on some electronic storage or media. Of course, there is a sub culture that hides such things by camoflaging SSD's as other mundane objects you might find on a desk. Such things as books and potted plants.

Its possible to run Windows along with required "boot" drivers on a thumb drive and do all writing/download to another thumb drive or external hard drive: remove the second drive and the machine has nothing at all on it; not even use history or "recent" menu. Besides some editing of the ROM-BIOS, on older desktop machines the arrangement required a power bridge (jumper) to be applied to the SATA or MOLEX connector. Old fashioned advantage was, if the typical applications were memory hogs (any of the CAD programs; some photo editors; RPG and video editors), Windows would load very quickly and you could clear up EM and scheduling type topics before starting up the big ugly, where you might spend the rest of your day.
This could be configured and partitioned with some software such that the exit state for each application was stored on individual thumb drives so the operator opened that alone, not all the exit states/ recent saves, event logs or backup files from the rest of the applications that might be on a machine. As desktops got cheaper and networks more capable, much of this configuring and structuring to make a single machine more time effective, was replaced by the simple step of adding more machines.
So, the machine may not ever have had a conventional hard drive; it may have run off some mix of external HDD or SSDD and thumb drives or even laser disks or mag disks....though that would be apparent from the start up BIOS and the file management arrangement. For the desktop in the Stearns house: If none of those were there, then there is still some files and firmware to be found on some electronic storage or media. Of course, there is a sub culture that hides such things by camoflaging SSD's as other mundane objects you might find on a desk. Such things as books and potted plants.
That's very interesting! Thanks for the info.

Gotta say, though, it all sounds well beyond SS's ability, given how stupidly he managed everything else.

Gotta say, though, it all sounds well beyond SS's ability, given how stupidly he managed everything else.
Have to concur fully with this @LoveyG ! …… and this is why I wish it was better understood exactly what was required to remove (or separate) the supposed missing hard drive from the computer. Knowing that IMO might better help to understand what was done, and by whom, and how long it could have taken. Desktop computers can also have a tower with the various drives and hardware IIUC. IIRC some might simply unmount, whereas other’s removal might be more involved. And it might have been someone other than SS? I’ve also suggested it seems other charges should be considered as well to clarify this matter. It seems quite important IMO to the discovery of considerable CSAM material, and also what happened to an apparent missing hard drive. What was located on that item? Removal and ‘secreting’ of that hard drive would seem to constitute possible tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice IMO. IANAL. MOO

ETA: and perhaps one could even ratchet it up further if that removed drive contained CSAM? Could it’s removal constitute possible sharing, distribution, or other transfer or possession of that information? This needs to be explored IMO. MOO

Last edited:

Obviously cannot say for sure...but considering he did not expect his phone to reveal anything after a reset to as delivered and that *advertiser censored* was found on the hard drive of one of his PC's by a room mate some years ago.... (reference: interviews by Gray Hughes way back in this thread). We know he used Telegram and so did Thomas Crooks. His presence on Reddit could easily be considered patronizing and arrogant. He apparently could not access his cloud account on 2/28....
So I would bet you're right.
And that without considering how his driving patterns on 2/26, 27, 28 were so easy to track and revealing. Never mind the cell phone pings all the way up to his incarceration.
Makes a person wonder about that near-genius IQ statement from his mother, doesn't it?
MOO

Have to concur fully with this @LoveyG ! …… and this is why I wish it was better understood exactly what was required to remove (or separate) the supposed missing hard drive from the computer. Knowing that IMO might better help to understand what was done, and by whom, and how long it could have taken. Desktop computers can also have a tower with the various drives and hardware IIUC. IIRC some might simply unmount, whereas other’s removal might be more involved. And it might have been someone other than SS? I’ve also suggested it seems other charges should be considered as well to clarify this matter. It seems quite important IMO to the discovery of considerable CSAM material, and also what happened to an apparent missing hard drive. What was located on that item? Removal and ‘secreting’ of that hard drive would seem to constitute possible tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice IMO. IANAL. MOO
As to Removal: depending on make and vintage: 6 screws on the outside for a desktop; as many as 10 for a tower. All just sheet metal type.
Undo 2 connectors, one power and one data. On older machines the Data connector is a ribbon; the Power is a Molex. On newer machines both are SATA connectors and have a latching mechanism but they do not require anything special to remove. for Photos: Power and data cables for 3.5 inch desktop hard disk drive
The hard drive itself is only held in place by 4 machine screws, most are stacked on a rail system.
Some nest between 2-plastic brackets to support the front edges.

"Normal" would be less than 10-minutes providing nothing has happened to damage the connectors...as in a lot of heat?
An HDD is a magnetic device...Clean it with a strong magnetic field without obvious damage. If the case were opened the disks themselves could be put through a grinder or even a paper shredder; or burned.
I would think simple removal would not be legally considered "destroying evidence" and its a possession, hiding it would probably not be "obstruction"....but IANAL.

MOO because why chance it?

My God, talk about enabling your child. Unbelievable.

And where did JS say she was during this time?

Yes @Forest_Wood …. almost similar to JS’s input to investigators, yet it is not clear if both are providing accurate information? Unnecessary details?Or obfuscating facts? Something IMO still needs to be examined as to the hard drive, storage unit, etc. From my own recollection, an external hard drive would be much easier to disconnect (simply USB cable attached perhaps)…. vs. a hard drive within a computer tower (for a desk top) or from within a laptop (requires tools and time to disassemble the case….. at least in the last several years as I had to do that). What type computer(s) are we looking at again? Is that even clear?

Lastly, am I reading correctly up thread? Was it CS (and not SS) that helped LE locate some other discs, files, another hard drive, USB (or the like) with ~30k (30,000 images)? Those are simply jpg or image files? Or were there any video too? Aren’t video (i.e. mp3, etc.) quite large files? And typically much larger than e.g. an image or jpg or png format file? Wonder if LE really has all of the possible electronic files or images and where they were located. MOO
I believe it was CS who provided LE with the thumb drive of 30K images, as well as the hard drive which he said was found in the storage unit. But if the hard drive hadn't been accessed since 2020, then where is the hard drive from SS's computer in the house! And why was the mother cleaning out SS's room. Part of me suspects the two of them removed/destroyed some evidence, while seemingly cooperating at the same time. MOO.

I believe it was CS who provided LE with the thumb drive of 30K images, as well as the hard drive which he said was found in the storage unit. But if the hard drive hadn't been accessed since 2020, then where is the hard drive from SS's computer in the house! And why was the mother cleaning out SS's room. Part of me suspects the two of them removed/destroyed some evidence, while seemingly cooperating at the same time. MOO.
Rbbm

Interestingly IME that's how the best liars lie. The best lie is -- what? -- 90% true, or somesuch.

Like an over honest and uber helpful magician so you don't notice the sleight of hand.

JMO

Obviously cannot say for sure...but considering he did not expect his phone to reveal anything after a reset to as delivered and that *advertiser censored* was found on the hard drive of one of his PC's by a room mate some years ago.... (reference: interviews by Gray Hughes way back in this thread). We know he used Telegram and so did Thomas Crooks. His presence on Reddit could easily be considered patronizing and arrogant. He apparently could not access his cloud account on 2/28....
So I would bet you're right.
And that without considering how his driving patterns on 2/26, 27, 28 were so easy to track and revealing. Never mind the cell phone pings all the way up to his incarceration.
Makes a person wonder about that near-genius IQ statement from his mother, doesn't it?
MOO
and he did a second factory reset on 2/27. (time omitted) page 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads