GUILTY FL - Makia Coney, 17, Jacksonville, 10 Feb 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How horrible - so senseless....you'd think going to a private Christian school would insulate your children from the violence so common in public schools.

This is so depressing...evil is everywhere...no matter how hard parents try to ensure their kids are safe, there are no guarantees. :(

So senseless. A beautiful, promising young lady...gone forever. Robbed of her future. Her family robbed of their daughter, their sister, their hopes and dreams for her.

Two young men, who have not only took a life but have ruined their chance of a future.

I will never understand.

from nbc4 jacksonville:
... each of the boys shot [Makia] Coney in the head.

Police said the boys returned to University Christian campus by 4:15 p.m., about an hour before [Makia] Coney was reported missing. About two hours later, a bicyclist reported seeing the body in a drainage ditch along Powers Avenue, not far from Wolfson High School.

Schmitt said the pair were friends of Coney. While police said they both admitted to killing Coney, there was no clear motive for the crime. Schmitt said there was no indication that the victim was sexually molested.​

This makes me so angry and upset. This world is just broken in my eyes. Completely broken.

RIP Makia. May you dance with the angels. And may Makia's family find peace once again.

Very odd on his FB page...it was all Bible verses as his status updates for weeks...then suddenly lyrics of songs, including (BBM):

"Woman hold ya head and cry because your son was shot down in the street and died" Bob Marley

and

"When the haet was on, I turned to trouble." Lil Wayne's song: Trouble

and

"Ocean in my back yard where it supposed to be, funny how my neighbors don't think its where i'm supposed to be; They thing i'm cuter in jail"

Then nothing until the post requesting information about Makia's disappearance.

VERY strange progression to me. A boy who'd only posted Scripture for weeks starts posting an interesting mix of lyrics/quotes...and then posted requesting information about a girl it turns out he murdered.

Newpaper reports BOTH boys shot her. I just don't understand it.

Years ago, my daughter went to St. John's Country Day for grades 1-7, same as Connor.

What a tragedy! So horrible and senseless

IMHO they must be sociopaths..

at least here in Florida they will be locked up for life, too bad we don't have the dp for "juveniles'...

seems to be another case of "wanted to see what it feels like"

So sad and senseless.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- State Attorney Angela Corey plans to charge the two teen classmates from University Christian School as adults for the murder of Makia Coney.

"The murder of Makia Coney, coming on the heels of Somer Thompson's murder and in the midst of the trial of those alleged to have killed DreShawna Davis, leaves our community grieving and bewildered," said Corey in a statement released Sunday morning. "These murders were brutal and senseless, and directed at innocent children and young women."
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office last Friday arrested Charles Roy Southern, 17, and Connor Julian Pridgen, 16, for Makia's murder. The two confessed to killing her but gave no indication to detectives as to why.
Makia disappeared after school last Wednesday. Police said she left school with the two teens and drove around town in Southern's pickup truck.
The trio ultimately ended up along Powers Avenue where police said the two boys shot the 17-year-old girl in the head and left her for dead in the woods near Baker Skinner Park.
"My office will work with equal determination to bring those responsible to justice and full accountability," said Corey.
Southern and Pridgen are due to appear in adult felony court Tuesday morning. Juveniles are not eligible for the death penalty. A first-degree murder conviction would bring a sentence of life in prison without parole. (BBM)

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=152000&catid=3

Thank goodness somebody has some common sense...

What a tragedy! So horrible and senseless

IMHO they must be sociopaths..

at least here in Florida they will be locked up for life, too bad we don't have the dp for "juveniles'...

seems to be another case of "wanted to see what it feels like"

So sad and senseless.

...like the Elizabeth Olten case...wth is happening?

If the perps used stolen guns, sounds like they started going down the wrong path a while ago...at least I mean, they didn't just wake up one day & decide to be 'bad boys'.

(more on stolen guns here http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=152003 )

ITA, this could be a 'thrill kill'....sick, just sick.

Sorry to be off-topic, but can someone tell me what ITA means? I tried looking it up, but all i could find was "international trade association" "international trombone association" (my personal favorite), and "indoor tanning association"- lol.
TIA (thanks in advance, for those who are lost like me!)

don't hear about this often -- I guess because perps in higher profile cases are kept in solitary

A 16-year-old charged in the slaying of University Christian School student Makia Ann Coney was assaulted by eight youths at Jacksonville’s Department of Juvenile Justice detention facility, the chief of the city’s jail said Sunday.

Chief Tara Wildes of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office did not know if Connor Julian Pridgen had to be hospitalized following the attack but said her watch commander told her Saturday that eight youths were involved in some sort of assault and were processed at the Duval County jail. After processing they were sent back to the juvenile facility, she said.

http://jacksonville.com/news/2010-0...ing_is_assaulted_at_juvenile_detention_center

don't hear about this often -- I guess because perps in higher profile cases are kept in solitary

A 16-year-old charged in the slaying of University Christian School student Makia Ann Coney was assaulted by eight youths at Jacksonville’s Department of Juvenile Justice detention facility, the chief of the city’s jail said Sunday.

Chief Tara Wildes of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office did not know if Connor Julian Pridgen had to be hospitalized following the attack but said her watch commander told her Saturday that eight youths were involved in some sort of assault and were processed at the Duval County jail. After processing they were sent back to the juvenile facility, she said.

http://jacksonville.com/news/2010-0...ing_is_assaulted_at_juvenile_detention_center

I'm quite honestly surprised that they didn't beat him to death. Or at least leave him for dead like what happened with Makia.

surprised they didn't attack both boys..

My guess would be only one of them tried to act like a tough guy and got taken down a few notches. The other one is probably cowering in his cell.. because he knows it's likely that he may have the same fate. I wonder how serious the attack was.. 8 on 1... seems like there could be some real damage done there...

<snip>

The report also mentioned a neighbor who told police she saw two people on the roof of the Cumbie home nearly two weeks ago. The neighbor asked the two what they were doing and they told her they were trying to get inside the house. She told police one of the individuals looked like Cumbie's son.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22563988/detail.html

I hope there wasn't another kid who knew what Southern & Pridgen were up to.

While I would not wish these kids to be put in adult population, I am not too concerned about how they will make out while incarcerated among their peers

I get sick of seeing some of these people given such kid glove treatment in jail and prison...if state budgets can't handle child services and mental health care, why do we have all this special protection in prisons, suicide watches, etc??? These criminals take their chances on the outside, their poor victims sure didn't have this cuddle care

Kids like these who kill?? Put them in general (juvenile population) then move them up to the "Big House" when they are 18....do the crime, do the time, take your chances....big man on the outside, go for it in there.

I have zero sympathy for any of them > and while I know my ideas may seem radical I have actually thought through this stuff, and I am also pretty much sure that this is the way it "used" to be. This "protective custody" and "isolation for their own safety" is relatively new. I say let them show how tough they are when they are locked up....use the money wasted on them to beef up child protective services

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back