Found Deceased FL - Mark Miller, 46, jumped on a roof of a passing car, U.S. 1 Hwy, Monroe County, 5 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My hope would be that the driver and or passenger of this vehicle has relayed any information to the authorities. Possible mile markers, anything really, that would help to locate his whereabouts.
I know that is really strange that you wouldn't stop (after he fell or rolled off) and tell someone what happened. I can understand being afraid to stop while a strange person is shouting at you and grabbing your car, but drive a few miles after they get off and stop.

My guess is he let go intentionally and rolled in to the mangroves. That means he could be face down in 6" of water along the edge of US1. He could have rolled down an embankment and accessibility from the water may be the only option. The terrain will make a huge difference in recovery if that is the issue. There are barely any shoulders along US1 in some areas.

Mile Marker Chart

81.2 = Worldwide Sportsman; gulfside; Moose Lodge
81.3 = Green Turtle Inn; Oceanside. Part of the structure survived the 1935 Hurricane.
80.0 = Roadside park, gulfside
79.8 = Tea Table Relief Bridge. Papa Joe's Marina, gulfside; Bud and Mary's, oceanside. The north approach washed out during Hurricane Donna, 1960.
79.1 = Tea Table Channel Bridge
= Indian Key Bridge. Lignumvitae Key Botanical Site (State) gulfside in distance. Lignumvitae Key Boat Ramp gulfside; Indian Key Archaeological Site, San Pedro Underwater State Park and Alligator Lighthouse, oceanside at a distance. This is area is of historic significance. The islands of Indian Key, Lignumvitae Key and Alligator Lighthouse are prominent artifacts.
77.1 = Lignumvitae Bridge
77.0 = Robbie's Marina, gulfside; Star of the Sea motel, oceanside
74.0 = Angelo's Country Store, Port Antigua community, gulfside
74.3 = Safety Harbor community entrance, gulfside
I agree with your theory.
I think a highway crew will find him when they do weed abatement, or are inventorying signage, etc.
What a story! Poor man.

amateur opinion and speculation

Monroe County Sheriff's Office: Detectives seek help in missing person case
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Detectives seek help in missing person case
Mark J. Miller, 46, an employee and resident of Robbie's Marina in Islamorada, 77522 Overseas Highway, was reported missing on Jan. 6, 2020. Miller was last seen around 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5 standing in the middle of U.S. 1 at Mile Marker 77 in front of the turn lane to Robbie’s Marina.
It was reported Miller attempted to stop traffic and/or latch onto passing vehicles northbound and possibly southbound. Miller appeared erratic and was making delusional comments.
Deputies immediately responded, but were unable to locate Miller. Investigative efforts coordinated and conducted by the public and law enforcement to find Miller have yielded no results.

Miller may suffer from some form of mental illness. Miller is approximately 6-foot-4 and weighs approximately 250 pounds.

If anyone recalls that particular morning and seeing or hearing of anything related please contact the Major Crimes Unit at 305-289-2410. Ask to speak to Detective Vince Weiner.
Posted 12th March by Monroe County Sheriff's Office

Thanks for the update...
This new article does not mention the friend that “saw him” on a vehicle until the vehicle disappeared from view.

DEC 15

Found deceased.

He wasn't far away from where he was last seen.

Snip:
The remains were found in a wooded area south of U.S. 1 near mile marker 77 in Islamorada by iguana hunters on April 9, the sheriff’s office said.

Deputies said Miller was last seen around 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2022, standing in the middle of U.S. 1 in front of the turn lane to Robbie’s Marina, where he worked and lived.

He wasn't far away from where he was last seen.

Snip:
The remains were found in a wooded area south of U.S. 1 near mile marker 77 in Islamorada by iguana hunters on April 9, the sheriff’s office said.

Deputies said Miller was last seen around 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2022, standing in the middle of U.S. 1 in front of the turn lane to Robbie’s Marina, where he worked and lived.
Literally right across the street...

I’m very sad to hear he has been found deceased. It’s interesting they thought it could’ve been alcohol withdrawals. I am in recovery from alcohol and when I was in withdrawals I could barely function let alone jump onto an SUV and hold on. Rest In Peace :(

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article239138888.html#storylink=cpy

I’m familiar with Robbies. US1 is two lane in that part of the keys. This happened at 7:30am on a Sunday morning.

US1 is also called the Overseas Highway.
My concern is that he fell off the roof and into water or hit by another car.

The vehicle was headed north, away from Robbies toward the mainland not towards Key West.
I’ve driven that highway many times. It isn’t easy to pull over and stop in many areas.

The driver might have been afraid to stop even if there was an area to pull over. But wouldn’t the driver have called 911?

This is a very strange occurrence, sad that it ended in tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back