FL - Markeis McGlockton shot and killed in front of family, Clearwater, July 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagtales10

Reaction score
Girlfriend Of 'Stand Your Ground' Shooting Victim Says Gunman 'Was Picking A Fight' | HuffPost

Britany Jacobs witnessed Michael Drejka, 47, gun down her boyfriend Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, in a convenience store parking lot in Clearwater on Thursday. Police, citing Florida’s “stand your ground” gun law that allows gun owners to use deadly force if they feel threatened, filed no charges.

The confrontation began when McGlockton left his car idling in a handicap space Thursday to run into the store to purchase snacks. Jacobs was waiting in the car with their two children when Drejka approached and began “harassing” her for parking in a handicap space without a permit

McGlockton, seeing the confrontation, shoved Drejka to the ground, according to Jacobs. That’s when Drejka, who is white, pulled a gun and shot McGlockton, who is black, in the chest, just a few feet from the car.

McGlockton, wounded, stumbled into the store, where he collapsed. He was pronounced dead roughly 30 minutes later at a hospital.

Posted this a couple of days ago in another case thread (Chad Oulson) regarding Stand Your Ground:
FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014
This 7/19/18 "Stand Your Ground" incident could favor Reeves' defense significantly:
Fatal shooting occurred in Clearwater, FL at about 3:28 p.m. on Thursday, July 19, 2018.

No arrest in fatal shooting during argument over handicap parking space
Updated: July 20, 2018 at 08:02 PM

18-144 ***UPDATE***Detectives Investigate Shooting That Fatally Injured A Man In Unincorporated Clearwater -
18-144 ***UPDATE***Detectives Investigate Shooting That Fatally Injured A Man In Unincorporated Clearwater
Shooting Investigation
***UPDATE as of 5 p.m. on July 20, 2018***

Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a press conference today and provided the media with the facts surrounding the shooting that killed a man outside a convenience store in unincorporated Clearwater yesterday.

During the press conference, Sheriff Gualtieri outlined the subjective standard set by the Florida Legislature that precluded the Sheriff's Office from making an arrest by Florida State Statute under the "Stand Your Ground" law.

Video of the press conference can be viewed on our YouTube page here:

The investigation continues.

This 7/19/18 "Stand Your Ground" incident could favor Reeves' defense significantly:
Fatal shooting occurred in Clearwater, FL at about 3:28 p.m. on Thursday, July 19, 2018.

Updated: July 20, 2018 at 08:02 PM

18-144 ***UPDATE***Detectives Investigate Shooting That Fatally Injured A Man In Unincorporated Clearwater -
18-144 ***UPDATE***Detectives Investigate Shooting That Fatally Injured A Man In Unincorporated Clearwater
Shooting Investigation
***UPDATE as of 5 p.m. on July 20, 2018***

Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a press conference today and provided the media with the facts surrounding the shooting that killed a man outside a convenience store in unincorporated Clearwater yesterday.

During the press conference, Sheriff Gualtieri outlined the subjective standard set by the Florida Legislature that precluded the Sheriff's Office from making an arrest by Florida State Statute under the "Stand Your Ground" law.

Video of the press conference can be viewed on our YouTube page here:

The investigation continues.

Last edited:
It's a shame they ignore that Drejka charged Markeis's wife and kids screaming in a very threatening manner and Markeis pushed Drejka away. Drejka sits up, thinks for a second as Markeis walks away, pulls his gun out and murders him in front of his kids.

There is video, which I dont want to post, someone else can. And its pure snuf, its Drejka outright murdering him. Police will regret calling it what they did because there isnt a better textbook example of Murder. No one in their right mind would feel "threatened for their life" by being pushed away from terrorizing a woman and her children.

This SHOULD become a big issue. I hope it does. May his death not be for nothing.

It's a shame they ignore that Drejka charged Markeis's wife and kids screaming in a very threatening manner and Markeis pushed Drejka away. Drejka sits up, thinks for a second as Markeis walks away, pulls his gun out and murders him in front of his kids.

There is video, which I dont want to post, someone else can. And its pure snuf, its Drejka outright murdering him. Police will regret calling it what they did because there isnt a better textbook example of Murder. No one in their right mind would feel "threatened for their life" by being pushed away from terrorizing a woman and her children.

This SHOULD become a big issue. I hope it does. May his death not be for nothing.
Video shows different than what you describe. Starts at 6:53:
Sheriff's Press Conference- July 20, 2018- Shooting Investigation- Unincorporated Clearwater

What kind of world is it that a person confronts a woman and small children over a parking space, gets pushed down and then kills the man who pushed him?

IT IS A PARKING SPOT AND YOU ARE NOT THE PARKING POLICE!!

How is this guy not arrested? It is now legal to kill someone that pushes you down?

There is no need to inject a racist element into this tragic situation. Crazy knows no color.

Three seconds from push to shot. Insane!

Last edited:
What kind of world is it that a person confronts a woman and small children over a parking space, gets pushed down and then kills the man who pushed him?

IT IS A PARKING SPOT AND YOU ARE NOT THE PARKING POLICE!!

How is this guy not arrested? It is now legal to kill someone that pushes you down?

There is no need to inject a racist element into this tragic situation. Crazy knows no color.
its pretty evident why he's given a free pass. It's happned the same way in the same state with the same BS law.

The video shows Drejka sit on the ground, pause and pull out his gun to shoot as Markeis starts to step back. there was CLEARLY no deadly threat.

I ask this to every husband/father out there. If a man is screaming at your wife and children, acting belligerent and aggressive, what would you do?

Clearwater police chief: ‘Stand your ground’ law needs ‘significant improvements’
Published: July 23, 2018
Updated: July 23, 2018 at 03:08 PM

Clearwater police Chief Dan Slaughter said Florida's "stand your ground" law needs "significant improvements" days after a fatal shooting last week riled his community.

While the death of Markeis McGlockton, who was shot during a confrontation that started over a parking space, was just outside of the Clearwater Police Department's jurisdiction, Slaughter attended a vigil Sunday night at church within the city.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office investigated the incident, and Sheriff Bob Gualtieri announced Friday that his agency would not arrest the shooter, Michael Drejka, because the encounter met criteria established under "stand your ground." The sheriff forwarded the case to the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's office for a final determination.
[...]
The shooting occurred at the Circle A Food Store in a tiny enclave of unincorporated Pinellas County surrounded by the city of Clearwater, making it a matter of blocks that the decision of whether to arrest Drejka fell on Gualtieri, not Slaughter.

The chief wouldn't say Monday whether he would have made the same call, saying he hasn't "had the benefit of seeing all the evidence and the testimony and the statements."

But he did point out a couple aspects of the law he took issue with.
[...]
Gualtieri, too, zeroed in on those components of the law during a news conference Friday and emphasized he has to assess the situation in the eyes of the law.
[...]
"I am a firm believer in the adage that 'just because you can doesn't mean you should,'" he continued. "But I'll also say … I'm not going to substitute my judgement for Drejka's judgment sitting on the ground after having been slammed to the ground either."
[...]

IMO SYG was not applicable, i did not see anything that Drejka could have seen as immediate threat of deadly force. He got pushed for screaming at a woman (big man)... thought about it, pulled a gun out and shot him.

<modsnip: Don't make this about race.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Victim’s girlfriend says Florida gunman provoked fatal ‘stand your ground’ shooting

The owner of the convenience store in Clearwater told ABC affiliate WFTS that Drejka had assaulted customers in the store’s parking lot before. And Rich Kelly, who frequents the store, claimed Drejka picked a fight with him over a parking spot about a month ago, calling him racial slurs and threatening to kill him, WFTS reported.
072318_abc_florida.JPG

How is the man sitting cross-legged style on the ground in immediate worry of his life? It looks like a holdup to me.

that's putting it lightly. it needs abolished.

Clearwater police chief: ‘Stand your ground’ law needs ‘significant improvements’
Updated: July 23, 2018 at 03:08 PM

Clearwater police Chief Dan Slaughter said Florida's "stand your ground" law needs "significant improvements" days after a fatal shooting last week riled his community.

While the death of Markeis McGlockton, who was shot during a confrontation that started over a parking space, was just outside of the Clearwater Police Department's jurisdiction, Slaughter attended a vigil Sunday night at church within the city.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office investigated the incident, and Sheriff Bob Gualtieri announced Friday that his agency would not arrest the shooter, Michael Drejka, because the encounter met criteria established under "stand your ground." The sheriff forwarded the case to the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's office for a final determination.
[...]
The shooting occurred at the Circle A Food Store in a tiny enclave of unincorporated Pinellas County surrounded by the city of Clearwater, making it a matter of blocks that the decision of whether to arrest Drejka fell on Gualtieri, not Slaughter.

The chief wouldn't say Monday whether he would have made the same call, saying he hasn't "had the benefit of seeing all the evidence and the testimony and the statements."

But he did point out a couple aspects of the law he took issue with.
[...]
Gualtieri, too, zeroed in on those components of the law during a news conference Friday and emphasized he has to assess the situation in the eyes of the law.
[...]
"I am a firm believer in the adage that 'just because you can doesn't mean you should,'" he continued. "But I'll also say … I'm not going to substitute my judgement for Drejka's judgment sitting on the ground after having been slammed to the ground either."
[...]

I honestly would have got out and told him to get the eff away from my car and kids myself, I don't think the father did a thing wrong yet he is dead. and this guy wont get in any kind of trouble because of a stupid law.

Victim’s girlfriend says Florida gunman provoked fatal ‘stand your ground’ shooting

The owner of the convenience store in Clearwater told ABC affiliate WFTS that Drejka had assaulted customers in the store’s parking lot before. And Rich Kelly, who frequents the store, claimed Drejka picked a fight with him over a parking spot about a month ago, calling him racial slurs and threatening to kill him, WFTS reported.
072318_abc_florida.JPG

How is the man sitting cross-legged style on the ground in immediate worry of his life? It looks like a holdup to me.

I dont even think this murder even fits the bad law anyway. Crazy how they are shoe-horning it in there just to give Drejka a free pass. Unlike Treyvon, theres footage of no immediate threat of deadly force. FFS even zimmerman claimed he was getting whailed on and shot in defense, not sat up had the idea and shot from 12 feet away.

‘Stand Your Ground’ Cited by Florida Sheriff Who Declined to Arrest Suspect in Killing
  • July 21, 2018
[...]
Sheriff Gualtieri described the contact as “a violent push.” “This wasn’t a shove, this wasn’t just a tap,” he said at the news conference. “He slammed him to the ground.”

Mr. Drejka had previously complained about people parking illegally in handicapped spots, he said.

The sheriff’s office will refer the case to the state attorney’s office to determine whether Mr. Drejka should be charged. Sheriff Gualtieri added that by instituting this law, the Florida Legislature had created a “subjective standard” for determining whether the person who used force was in fear of bodily harm, but suggested that his hands were tied because his department could be sued if it failed to follow the law’s requirements.

“I don’t make the law — we enforce the law,” he said. “And I’m going to enforce it the way it’s written, the way the Legislature’s intended for it to be applied. And others can have the debate about whether they like it or not.”
[...]

‘Stand Your Ground’ Cited by Florida Sheriff Who Declined to Arrest Suspect in Killing
  • July 21, 2018
[...]
Sheriff Gualtieri described the contact as “a violent push.” “This wasn’t a shove, this wasn’t just a tap,” he said at the news conference. “He slammed him to the ground.”

Mr. Drejka had previously complained about people parking illegally in handicapped spots, he said.

The sheriff’s office will refer the case to the state attorney’s office to determine whether Mr. Drejka should be charged. Sheriff Gualtieri added that by instituting this law, the Florida Legislature had created a “subjective standard” for determining whether the person who used force was in fear of bodily harm, but suggested that his hands were tied because his department could be sued if it failed to follow the law’s requirements.

“I don’t make the law — we enforce the law,” he said. “And I’m going to enforce it the way it’s written, the way the Legislature’s intended for it to be applied. And others can have the debate about whether they like it or not.”
[...]

bbm.... let's hope they do.

I thought stand your ground was a defense to be used in court, not just subject to the interpretation of individual police officers.

I will never set foot in Florida. Although I think my gunloving state has something equally as absurd.

this reminds me of the whole Trayvon Martin case.. Dumbass With Gun picks on guy with No Gun.. Guy with No Gun Reacts and then Guy With Gun shoots and cries assault..Something has to change..

this reminds me of the whole Trayvon Martin case.. Dumbass With Gun picks on guy with No Gun.. Guy with No Gun Reacts and then Guy With Gun shoots and cries assault..Something has to change..

And Tryvon didnt even have video, Zimmerman "claimed" Tryvon was on top of him punching him, that picture can fall in with SYG.... but this has video and Markeis was like 12 feet away from him. This is BS. I cannot imagine a police officer looking at Drejka and thinking/saying "he was 12 feet away and walking backwards? You obviously were in immediate danger and afraid for your life. You are free to go, have a good evening"

EDITORIAL
Editorial: ‘Stand your ground’ law triggers vigilante justice

Updated: July 23, 2018 at 05:36 PM

[...]
No one did the right thing in the latest "stand your ground’’ case that occurred Thursday in a convenience store parking lot in North Pinellas. Britany Jacobs should not have parked without a permit in a handicap parking space, even if her three young kids were in the car and her boyfriend was just running into the store to buy chips and drinks. Michael Drejka should not have been so aggressive in confronting Jacobs about parking illegally. And Jacobs’ boyfriend, Markeis McGlockton, should not have come out of the store and shoved Drejka to the ground.
But why should it be legal for Drejka to respond by pulling out a handgun, shooting McGlockton in the chest and keeping the gun aimed at the 28-year-old as he staggered into the store? The "stand your ground’’ law has transformed Florida into the Wild West, and it has escalated common disputes into deadly confrontations.
[...]

AR-307239625.jpg

LUIS SANTANA | Times Family and friends of Markeis McGlockton, the 28-year-old man that was shot and killed during a parking lot altercation in front of his children last week, gather at the location where he was shot. The shooter was not arrested because authorities said it fell within the criteria of Florida\u2019s \u201Cstand your ground\u201D self-defense law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead