GUILTY FL - Michael Keetley accused of murdering Juan, 28, and Sergio Guitron, 22, Nov 2010 *mistrial in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

joe jones

Reaction score

I am sure there must be a thread about this case, but couldn't find one, if there is can mods delete this, this is a live retrial, first jury hung,
I went looking for a thread and couldn't find one also. So thanks for starting this one.

Here is the live feed to the trial.

Second trial against ice cream man Michael Keetly accused in double-murder begins

Prosecutors say the ice cream man wanted revenge when he shot six innocent men. Defense attorneys say he never shot anyone.

An ice cream man accused of shooting six men in a case of mistaken identity is on trial in Tampa. Michael Keetley is charged with murder in the deaths of two of the men. It is the second trial for Keetley, after the first one ended with a deadlocked jury causing a mistrial three years ago.

I have caught parts of this trial on court tv…
He looks soooo bored sitting at the defense table. Face propped up. Dressed in Mr Rogers sweater everyday. IMO He had a much better defense (now a judge) first trial.
Saw the new defense lawyer’s opening and he is too high drama ,shouts,theatrics.
MK reminds me of Murdaugh. Ugh.
ETA: IMO he did it. Too many quinky dinks.

I have caught parts of this trial on court tv…
He looks soooo bored sitting at the defense table. Face propped up. Dressed in Mr Rogers sweater everyday. IMO He had a much better defense (now a judge) first trial.
Saw the new defense lawyer’s opening and he is too high drama ,shouts,theatrics.
MK reminds me of Murdaugh. Ugh.
IMO he did it. Too many quinky dinks.
Bang on regarding the Mr Rogers sweater. :D

My understanding is that in his first trial the witness statements were weak and most jurists couldn't come to a guilty verdict.

This week in the opening statement by the prosecution she highlighted:
- MK was obsessed with vengeance after he was shot and disabled during the robbery of his ice cream truck
- MK asked an acquaintance who was a metal-fabrictor about how to modify certain weapons
- MK had a Glock 45 caliber
- MK went to get his father's van repainted at a home-based company. He stayed late into the night at the business/home helping clean it inside and out
- MK had received a tip on the street that someone called "Creeper", a Latino, was involved in his assault.
- MK showed up on the night of the murders, dressed in a t-shirt with word 'police' (or similar) on it, and asked the men gathered on the porch of a house if Creeper was there. He asked them all for their IDs and then opened fire. Creeper wasn't there.
- prosecution believes he went to the wrong address on the street (Creeper lived right nearby) and shot 6 innocent men. (2 killed; 4 injured)

The defense opened with:
- MK was so disabled after the attack on him that he couldn't use his right hand.
- the description given by surviving victims of the shooter doesn’t match their client.

New jury gives 2010 Ruskin ice cream man murder case a second look​

Michael Keetley is accused of shooting a group of men on Thanksgiving morning 2010. A jury in his first trial was unable to decide if he is guilty.

TAMPA — If you believe the state of Florida, Michael Keetley was so intent on revenge after he was robbed and shot in his ice cream truck that he posed as a cop and toted a gun to a Ruskin neighborhood and shot six innocent men, killing two on Thanksgiving morning 2010.

If you believe Keetley’s defense, he is a victim of circumstance, a man whose physical disabilities prevented him from committing such violence and a man who ended up wrongfully accused based on a hodgepodge of imprecise evidence and fuzzy recollections.

It’s a tale that’s been told often in Tampa’s courthouse. On Monday, it was told once again.

Keetley’s second murder trial opened Monday morning, three years after his first jury deadlocked 10-2 in favor of finding him not guilty, and almost 13 years since he was first accused in the bizarre shooting that claimed the lives of brothers Juan and Sergio Guitron.

In opening statements, a prosecutor and a defense attorney, both new since the last trial, reiterated their respective takes on the long-running, complex case.

“Obsessing about revenge,” said Assistant State Attorney Jennifer Johnson. “That’s what this case is about.”

“Michael Keetley is not guilty because he did not do it,” said defense attorney John Grant. “He did not do it, because he could not do it.”

The attorneys each touched on the events that preceded the killings. In January 2010, Keetley was working south Hillsborough County in his ice cream truck when a woman flagged him down and two men accosted him with guns after he stopped. They shot him in his leg, chest, arm and hand. They took $12.

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Michael Keetley was deep into his sixth year at the Falkenburg Road Jail, with no date in sight for his murder trial, when the letter arrived. He showed it to his parents, who had cashed in their retirement savings to pay his legal fees.

Paul S. Carr, the Ruskin attorney he had entrusted to help keep him out of prison and off death row, was suggesting he should find another lawyer. A collision, Carr said, had left him with a severe head injury.

“My greatest fear,” the attorney wrote, “is that my declining mental and physical health could possibly lead or contribute to a wrongful conviction.”

Of the dozens of defendants awaiting trial in Hillsborough County, none has waited longer than Keetley, 46, an ice cream vendor accused of killing two men and wounding four others one night on the porch of a Ruskin home.

He has appeared in court more than 60 times since his 2010 arrest. His hair has grayed. His skin has lost its color behind jailhouse walls. Other jail inmates have come and gone, but he has quietly lingered, professing his innocence.

The delays have been driven in part by legal challenges to Florida’s death penalty.

But there were other problems, too.

UPDATED 10/23/20

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (Court TV) — Judge Christopher Sabella set a date for Michael Keetley’s retrial. The proceedings are set for July 12, 2021.

• The trial is expected to last up to four weeks.
  • A status conference is set for January 8, 2021.
Keetley, 49, has been in jail for almost ten years. Keetley is accused of shooting six men outside a Ruskin, Florida, home in 2010 on Thanksgiving morning.

UPDATED 2/21/20: After 7 hours of deliberations, the judge declared a mistrial when the jury said they were hopelessly deadlocked. Michael Keetley will be retried this May.

ICE CREAM MAN MURDER RETRIAL DAY 2​

In day 2 of the retrial of Michael Keetley, the jury heard testimony from a survivor of the deadly shooting and a crime scene investigator. (3/8/23) MORE

I feel like this defense would argue NG even if there were a video of his client murdering and wounding these people.
“ wouldn’t you agree with me” he says that ad nauseam on cross. Gonna be painful to listen to him another week .

MOO

Last edited:
In day 3 of the trial Gonzalo Guevara, one of the injured victims, testified. He said he started to shake when he looked at Michael Keetley's photo from the police photo line-up.

On November 25, 2010, Guevara says a white man, dressed like a law enforcement officer, ordered them to the ground. He says he watched in horror as his friends, one by one, we’re shot.

But under cross-examination, defense attorney John Grant tried to show Guevara got it wrong. He pointed out that he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol that day. Grant also suggested a donation flier, with Keetley's picture on it after the robbery, may have tainted his memory.
'That's the guy': Survivor recalls shooting at Michael Keetley trial

I have been watching this as much as time allows. Grateful for the additional info posted here.

These guys who were shot were admittedly friends of the "Kreeper" in the group who apparently unloaded on him and robbed him. Since the crew who robbed him were masked, I think it very well could be that some of the victims were involved with the previous crime. But there's no way to know now.

I am not convinced Keetley is bored. I think he often looks entertained by the trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngluteplayer
Back