NOTGUILTY FL - Michelle Mishcon & John Stevens Brutally Murdered By Cannibal Frat Boy Austin Harrouff - Tequesta #3 *Insanity Plea*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

(Médicos sospechan que joven acusado de asesinar y morder a matrimonio en Florida ingirió químicos de su garaje)

A married couple was in their garage on Monday when deputies say a 19-year-old suspect savagely attacked them.

John Stevens III, 59, and his 53-year-old wife Michelle Mishcon were both stabbed to death.

A neighbor heard screams and ran out to help, but was stabbed as well. That neighbor was able to get away and contact police. When police arrived they said they found the suspect biting off parts of Stevens' face.

When officers found the man attacking Stevens III, they used a stun gun on him, but it had no effect. A K-9 officer also bit him, but that also failed to stop him.

Shawnee man’s dad and stepmom killed in gruesome murder in south Florida

Thread #1
Thread #2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
the state has asked for another expert to examine the defendant, his defense is he was insane at time of crimes, trial is supposed to start on 28th but may now be delayed if the Judge grants the state time for their expert to examine defendant,

I thought the killer already went through a mental health evaluation several times. MOO, it's time for him to be tried and sentenced to do time in a prison or a mental hospital. His crimes can't just be forgotten and swept under the carpet.
Michell Mishcon & John Stevens
1669446662369.png When will this couple's families, friends, and community get to see Justice from the courts?

PUBLISHED 11:02 AM ET NOV. 26, 2022
[...]
Lea Johnston, a University of Florida law professor, said that only about 1% of felony defendants try an insanity defense because the bar to succeed is so high. About a quarter of those succeed, usually in a pretrial deal where prosecutors agree that the defendant's mental illness meets the standard.

She said for insanity defenses that reach trial, defendants who waive a jury have the most success. Judges understand the system, she said, while jurors often worry that defendants acquitted by reason of insanity will be released sooner. They also may question whether treatment at a mental hospital works.
[...]

As he pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, the question was whether he was mentally culpable for the slayings. The judge decided that Harrouff was insane at the time.

Harrouff will be committed to a secure mental hospital until doctors and a judge agree that he is no longer dangerous.

just heard judge with his acceptance of the stipulation and this guy will be back on the streets before you know it. I sure hope the families of the victims can pursue something but this seems pretty tough. Had Darrell Brooks been in Florida with high power attorneys he too would be on the street. South Florida is sad in terms of law enforcement and the state attorneys at the end of the day just gave up.

16000883CFAXMX - STATE OF FLORIDA vs. HARROUFF, AUSTIN KELLY
CASE DOCKETS

DINIMAGEDATEENTRY
blank_clear.gif
11/28/2022ORDER ADJUDGING DEFENDANT NOT GUILTY BY REASON OF INSANITY AND COMMITMENT TO DEPARTMENT - JUDGE SHERWOOD BAUER, JR.
561111/28/2022PERSONS TESTIFIED - VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENTS PRESENTED
560311/28/2022COURT MINUTE: DEFENDANT PRESENT WITH ATTORNEYS; VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENTS PRESENTED; COURT ACCEPTS STIPULATION DEFENDANT FOUND NOT GUILTY BY REASON OF INSANITY - AGREED ORDER STATED IN THE RECORD; COURT FINDS THE DEFENDANT MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR INVOLUNTARY COMMITMENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES. DEFENDANT TO REMAIN IN THE MARTIN COUNTY JAIL UNTIL COMMITMENT TO FACILITY - CLERK TO PREPARE THE APPROPRIATE PAPERWORK

A number of family members of the slain couple expressed anger at the decision and made victim impact statements directed at Harrouff, his family, the defense team and prosecutors.

“I didn’t really know you could brutally murder two people, attempt to kill another, and not even have a trial,” said Jodi Bruce, another sister of Mishcon, in a statement to the court Monday. “That was news to me.”

Harrouff’s insanity defense hinged largely on FBI toxicology results that showed no drugs in his system after the crime and determinations from three doctors that he had had a severe psychotic break.

Cindy Mishcon mocked that narrative Monday, and read from a long list of text messages Harrouff wrote in the months and days leading up to the slayings.

Face Eater Trial — FL v. Austin Harrouff — Judge Accepted Insanity Plea

I'm late to this case, I'd heard That Chapter's YouTube episode, but I hadn't realise this would be going back to court. Having looked at what I can find for the toxicology, it doesn't look like they checked for LSD (which is difficult to test for anyway).

But just because he didn't test positive for things they were looking for, doesn't mean that he wasn't on some sort of drug, it just means it didn't show up in the things they looked for. Having heard those texts in the months before the murders, it sounds like he would have taken any drug he could get his hands on.

Did we ever find out where *ALL* the over-the-counter drugs were obtained from? Is that what they gave him after the arrest when they were treating him in the hospital after he drunk goodness knows what from the garage? Did he consume something over-the-counter that wasn't given to him at the hospital?

1669727838392.png

I honestly believe this man was insane when he committed these crimes. It's a tragic case and I feel for the victims' families.
I agree. This is only the second case I can recall where I felt the perp was legitimately insane (the other being the Canadian bus beheader). I hope the victims' family will be able to come to terms with the verdict.

I understand the families rage, but I also agree with the verdict, I think when he attacked the victims that night he was insane,

I also accept some of the families view that he is a rich white boy whose family had means to good lawyers, I agree if he was black LE would have shot him until they ran out of bullets,

I do hope the Judge ensures he stays in his mental health facility for many years, he has been in jail up to now, and it will only be when he goes to the mental health facility that he will be getting the professional help he needs, he has not been treated for any of his addictions, being in jail means he has limited access to drink or drugs, so the issues he had with drink and drugs needs addressing and treating,

and I hope the victims and their whole families can start the very long, hard process to try to erase the horrors of what was done to their loved ones and replace them with good memories, the victims sound like they were lovely people, who were deeply loved by many, that is a legacy any of us would wish for,

the scales of justice are often not balanced, and one side feels they have been let down by the justice system, they can hold onto the fact that they were fierce advocates for their loved ones,

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefly64
Back