FL - Nubia Barahona, 10, slain, twin injured, West Palm Beach, 11 Feb 2011 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/DCF-to-Let-Barahona-Daughter-Visit-Child-121600149.html

This case is going nowhere. Jennifer Perez knew what was going on in that house, and should have been charged. A.P. never changed her story. She always stated she told her Mother, Jennifer Perez, and her Mother told her it was not their business.

Carmen Barahona better not get the "Hedda Nessbaum" pass defense, "Too abused to tell.".

Jorge Barahona's court appointed attorney has gone to Nicuragua on government expense, for defense information for child killer, Jorge Barahona. Really, the crime happened in the United States, no travel needed..

I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly, but in this case, they are permanently stalled.

Still no court date set...really?!

This article from May 2017 explains why Jorge's attorney went to Nicaragua:

A spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office offered no specific reason as to why the cases haven’t gone to trial. However, she said, such delays aren’t unusual when the death penalty is in play. For instance, court records show Jorge Barahona’s attorney has been given permission to travel to his client’s native Nicaragua to gather information that would be used in the death penalty phase of the trial. Other atypical motions pepper both files.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...hona-children-million/ZsUjUvxEiTytkaKkr8SFAL/

According to the Miami-Dade County Criminal Case Search, both Carmen and Jorge are scheduled for a status hearing on October 5th. I pray the judge denies any further requests for continuances and sets their trial date(s) at that hearing.

Miami? After this storm, I doubt that they will get back to business as usual. And the delays will continue.

No justice for Nubia, or Victor. There is no excuse for the ongoing delays.

Defense had to travel to Nicaragua for crucial information? The guy is a psychopath dirtbag.

Since 2011. This is stalling of the highest degree, and merits a review of our judicial system if it takes this long to go to trial with this much evidence.

https://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/mobile/CaseSearch.aspx

No trial date set! WTF!
More time for discovery?! Since 2011? There is over 900 pages! Need another trip to Nicaragua?
More attorney fees, granted.

and...drum roll...status check 12/17/2017!

Why no trial date? Dylan Roof killed multiple people, trial within a year of crime.

Why is this being continued, forever?! Does the State of Florida just want him to plead it out?

ZERO JUSTICE for Nubia!

I only just started reading about this case today. It's a truly heartbreaking and horrific case where the child welfare system completely and fatally failed these two poor precious children. The fact that the trial is still being delayed after so many years is a travesty.

There's no excuse for continually kicking the can down the road. This couple needs to be put on trial and judgment passed on their disgusting deeds. The local DCF's incompetence and potential attempts to cover up their own mistakes need to also be exposed to the public.

I just read every post on this. Most of the links to media reports don't work anymore. And yet, STILL NO TRIAL! I don't see a reasonable reason for this delay. They have the deceased child's body, and autopsy reports, they have the surviving twin's statements, the thousands of pages from DCF, the suspects in custody since 2011...and yet, still haven't had a trial.

Sounds like DCF isn't the only government branch in need of a huge system overhaul!

This is outrageous even for the normal incompetence of Miami Judicial process.

There is something going on here, that DCF wants buried, and wants this guy to plead. He is waiting them out.

This is just ridiculous. Seven years and nothing. SEVEN YEARS! What is it with Florida and its inability to deal out justice in a timely manner?

I was thinking of Nubia just now and am pleased to see others have also not forgotten. Seven years tomorrow. Come on already, Florida. This is outrageous.

I hope they are both miserable in jail, jail is much worse than prison. Seven years though...someone is stringing this out. They want them both to plead, and not have the exposure of the lying Department of Child Services. At this point, they will claim their right to a speedy trial is an issue.

Incredible! Status check, March 1, 2018...Defendant's motion to pay for investigative costs?!

Another trip to Nicaragua for the defendants attorney? Really, after 7 years, still NO TRIAL DATE SET!

No one cares, just another dead child. Abused, let down by CPS, and killed by an adoptive father, who gloats in prison, racking up fees...

October, 2017, attorney fees, at that time were $69000?!

Paid 20%.

There needs to be a review, and cap amount on attorney fees, it is like a blank check. Who is profiting from this case continuing?

I was incorrect, that was fees just for that date, every few months more fees are allowed, expert witness fees, investigation fees, at this time it appears to be over $400,000 in attorney fees alone.

Why couldn't he have a public defender? And his wife gets a separate attorney, with fees.

This is beyond crazy. Court system run amok. This man brutally tortured and killed a little girl, and tortured her twin brother, in 2011. How many years does it take for a pretty slam dunk case? He was found with the children, in his car. The Grand daughter is a witness to the brutal abuse.

Drum roll:
March 22, 2018

Motion for status check, May 5, 2018.

No trial date! WTH!? How long does it take? They have 1000's of pages of evidence, a dead body, Victor is a witness, still alive, another witness, the granddaughter, whose report actually started the CPS to follow up. Evidence of abuse.

What is the cover up here?!

Nobody in the judicial system is thinking about the victims in this, mainly victor. They have had this trial hanging over their heads for all these years. Imagine not being able to move on with your life and having to relive it all again 7 years later. This poor boy has been through enough and the judicial system needs to stop giving more rights to the perpetrators and give more rights to the victims.

If I was the family of victor I would try to do something about this. I thought Gabriel Fernandez trial was long but this one has child victims left to deal with it.

WTH?!

Another Status check, on August 30th. This is outrageous.

And, review how much money the attorney keeps asking for...the guy tortured children, was found with a dead child in a garbage bag, and another child almost dead.

Still no trial date set. Who thinks that the State of Florida never wants this case to see a courtroom?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pey
Back