GUILTY FL - Phoebe Jonchuck, 5, dropped from 60' bridge, St Petersburg, 8 Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some drama today:
The judge 'lost her temper' toward Bay News 9 cameraman.
Juror 4 asks questions about a sabotaged trial.

My notes from yesterday: If I'm counting in the correct direction, Juror 4 is middle-aged male, appearing to be Indian.

The Trial of John Jonchuck Day 7: Watch prosecutors establish their case

JOSH (2:15 p.m.)
Now everyone is back from lunch. Before Huff reclaims the witness stand and the jailhouse video of Jonchuck resumes, the judge apologized to the jury for her treatment of the photographer this morning. She said she hoped it didn’t make any of the jurors uncomfortable and that she hoped it wouldn’t happen again.

ZACK AND CLAIRE (2:05 p.m.)
We’re back, but off to an odd start. A Deputy Rice was with the jurors over lunch. They had been asking typical questions about their pay or how long the trial might last.
Then one man, Juror 4, asked “What would happen if there was a mistrial? ... Would that be a whole new jury?”
The deputy said yes. Juror 4 asked, “Has anyone ever sabotaged a trial?”
Deputy Rice recalled saying, “That would be extremely bad.” He also said, laughing now, that the juror had asked if the court could provide him with gum.
“They have a coffee pot, they have water, they have high quality chocolate, they have chips and peanuts,” Helinger said. She addressed the lawyers in the courtroom about Juror 4’s sabotage question.
“I think it’s rather concerning but not my call,” the judge said. “Anybody want me to have him in?”
Yes, Manuele speaks for the defense. They want to know if anything in particular happened to prompt that question. Juror 4 comes into the room.
“I was wondering, do they pick another jury?” he said.
“If there was a mistrial you wouldn’t keep on going,” Helinger replies. “But there’s no particular reason you asked those questions?”
“No,” Juror 4 said.
We move on.

ZACK (12:28 p.m.)
Lunch break called. We’ll be back at 2 p.m. This is a longer break than usual because a witness needs to be deposed over lunch.
Helinger apologizes to the Bay News 9 cameraman saying she did not handle the issue well earlier. He accepts her apology.
“I lost my temper,” Helinger says. “And judges aren’t supposed to do that.”

JOSH AND CLAIRE (10:43 a.m.)
At this point, the judge has stopped the trial and called up the Bay News 9 cameraman to the stand.
“You have two seconds to stop it otherwise I’m not going to allow any cameras in this courtroom, understood?” Helinger can be heard admonishing the photographer.
Throughout jury selection, Helinger was very sensitive to any photographs or video of the jurors being published or aired. Most local media outlets agree not to show jurors. That’s a courtesy, not an obligation -- the courtroom is public.
We cannot hear both sides of the discussion, but Helinger, who is facing the gallery, can be heard telling the cameraman: “I don’t buy that.”
Helinger then directs her attention to courthouse spokesman Steve Thompson. “That’s three times,” she says. The judge seems to be counting the number of perceived transgressions by the journalists in the courtroom.
A few jurors are still standing. The judge grants them a 15-minute recess. Helinger sounds peeved, pinching the bridge of her nose.
Afterwards, Thompson explained that while getting a tight shot of the prosecutor, the cameraman caught the prosecutor’s laptop, which was depicting privileged information on it.

Continuing concerns about the media coverage:

JOSH (2:55 p.m.)
Helinger calls a bench conference, and the five lawyers crowd around to look at her computer. The jurors get antsy. They stand up and start to chit chat. Ultimately, Helinger asks them out of the room, and then asks the Bay News 9 cameraman to return to the bench.

It’s curious how concerned the judge and lawyers are regarding the coverage of the case.

Steve Thompson, the courthouse spokesman, said, “The last time this allegation was made, I went downstairs.”

The previous allegation that Thompson is referring to stems from a shot the cameraman captured of an open laptop on the prosecution’s table. The laptop was apparently depicting privileged information, though the images on the laptop were apparently out of focus and not discernible.

The media room is on the first floor of the courthouse -- this courtroom is the fourth floor -- and the television reporters are working in the media room.

The cameraman is operating the pool camera, meaning he is doing so on behalf of all the television stations and the Times. We are all streaming from the same camera.

It’s clear the lawyers and judge are looking at some of the coverage on their computers.

“You can’t see it,” Helinger says, gesturing to an image on a laptop screen. Ellis still doesn’t look pleased.

Meanwhile Rizzo remains the at the witness stand. Jonchuck sits back at the defense table, looking at the lawyers and cameraman before the judge intently. Manuele comes back to her seat and begins flipping through notes. He leans over to talk to her.

McNeill then comes back to the defense table with her laptop. They show Jonchuck the image(s) in question.

JOSH, CLAIRE AND ZACK (3:26 p.m.)
This is a huge moment in this case. On the stand is Michele Jonchuck, 56, the mother of John Jonchuck Jr. Phoebe called her MawMaw.
She says she is currently unemployed.
“Do you know the defendant in this case?” Ellis asks.
“Yes, he is my son.”
Ellis asks if Jonchuck knew the victim.
“She was my granddaughter, my princess angel,” Jonchuck says.
Jonchuck sits staring straight ahead, mouth slightly open, but his brow is furrowed. He drops his forehead into his right hand and looks at the table. MawMaw wipes at her eyes. She looks at the judge, not at her son. “Can I get a tissue,” she asks.
Jonchuck covers his eyes.
He does not look at MawMaw.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (3:45 p.m.)
The jury is brought back in. John looks boyish with his fingers pressed to his temples.

Michele Jonchuck hoists herself up in her chair as Ellis gets questioning going again. John Jonchuck watches with his chin in his palms, his fingers curled into loose fists again by his ears.

[...]

As she leaves, mother looks at son and mouths, “I love you.”

So.... from what was posted - all I got as a witness for yesterday was John's mother. Any more people on the stand? Someone named Huff? re your post 240?

TIA! :)

Wednesday, March 27th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) – FL – Phoebe Jonchuck (5) (Jan. 18, 2015, St. Petersburg-thrown off 62’ bridge into Tampa Bay by her father) – *John Nicolas Jonchuck, Jr. (25/now 28) arrested & charged (1/18/15) with 1st degree murder, aggravated assault with a vehicle on LE officers & aggravated fleeing & eluding police. Plead not guilty by reason of insanity. Held without bond.
Jury trial started 3/25/19. Jurors: 4 women & 8 men (alternates: 1 man & 3 women). Jurors may ask witnesses questions. (Trial could take at least one week. General hours are going to be 9am until 7pm).
Jury Selection Day 1 (3/18/19) thru 5 (3/22/19) reference post #218 here:
FL - Phoebe Jonchuck, 5, dropped from 60' bridge, St Petersburg, 8 Jan 2015 *Arrest*

3/25/19 Day 1: Opening Statements given. State witness: St. Petersburg police officer William “Drew” Vickers. Trial continues on 3/26.
3/26/19 Day 2: Jury may ask questions of witnesses. State witnesses: Officer Huff. Michele Jonchuck (mother of Jonchuck). Trial continues to 3/27.

So.... from what was posted - all I got as a witness for yesterday was John's mother. Any more people on the stand? Someone named Huff? re your post 240?

John's mother Michele Jonchuck and several LE testified on Tuesday. I don't know the LE names.

Jonchuck trial moves into its second day
Posted Mar 26 2019 09:34PM EDT
Updated Mar 27 2019 08:33AM EDT

CLEARWATER, Fla. (FOX 13) - Witness testimony continued Tuesday in the John Jonchuck murder trial in Pinellas County.
[...]
On Tuesday, several witness took the stand, all of them were law enforcement officers, except one, his mother.
[...]

The Trial of John Jonchuck Day 8: Proving the murder
Imagine testifying about your son, who is on trial for murder in the death of your granddaughter.

That’s what Michele Jonchuck endured yesterday, fielding questions on the witness stand about whether Phoebe Jonchuck could swim and was afraid of water. It was the first time she’d seen her son in three years.

John Jonchuck covered his face. Michele Jonchuck wiped tears from her eyes.

Her testimony was flanked by a parade of law enforcement officers, most from St. Petersburg police and one from the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office. All played a role in either apprehending, watching or investigating Jonchuck.

I attended trial this morning 9:00 - 11:30 AM.
Three witnesses - Medical Examiner, St Pete police officer and St Pete police detective.
Lots of tedious procedural discussions and boring
private bench conferences.
Here are some morning media excerpts:

https://www.tampabay.com/florida/2019/03/27/the-trial-of-john-jonchuck-proving-the-murder/

ZACK (11:20 a.m.)
Jonchuck’s dad, John Jonchuck Sr., is sitting outside the courtroom in a suit. It appears as though he expects to testify today.

ZACK (11:09 a.m.)
St. Pete PD Officer Michael Carter is called up for the state.

JOSH AND CLAIRE (10:53 a.m.)
The next witness is Thaddius Coffin, a 14-year detective with St. Pete PD and the main forensic technician in the department.

JOSH (10:01 a.m.)
It appears they will proffer the Dr. Wilson’s testimony. That means they’ll ask him questions and listen to it, and the judge will decide if it’s suitable for the jury to hear. If so, they’ll do it all over again for the jury.

ZACK (9:58 a.m.)
And everything comes to a halt. Helinger just dismissed the jury for now.

“Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we’re going to have to take a recess and deal with a legal issue. I’m going to hope it would not take any longer than half an hour.”

CLAIRE (9:53 a.m.)
This will likely be a difficult moment for jurors, who will see photographs of Phoebe’s body for the first time. The wall TV has lit up with a blank white screen. Lawyers are talking at the bench. Jurors are swiveling, waiting.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (9:45 a.m.)
A resounding “good morning” from fresh-faced jurors as Judge Helinger welcomes them in and apologizes for the “waste of time” that she said couldn’t have been avoided. And we’re off.

First Helinger reads the jury the stipulation that Jonchuck just agreed to. Both the state and the defense agree that Phoebe Jonchuck was the victim in this case, she says.

The state’s first witness of the morning is Dr. Christopher Wilson, an associate medical examiner for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office, where he’s been for 16 years.

Wilson is staring at the jury as he speaks, quickly running them through the process of an autopsy. Looking at eyes, taking the scalpel, opening the skin, removing organs and weighing them. Some jurors takes note but all watch him as he speaks. It’s early, and they’re alert.

“Phoebe was 47 inches in height,” he says, referencing documents in front of him on the stand. “64 pounds.”

She had evidence of EKG pads on her chest, from the rescuers attempt to revive her.

Jonchuck is sitting and staring straight ahead. Ellis is about to show some of Phoebe’s autopsy photos on the projector in court, but first a bench conference.

Drats.... I've reached my limit on the Tampa Bay paper....

I saw a Sgt. Hubble as a witness - do you 'what' LE dept? First name?

So I gather your neighbor will be back tomorrow for the ME testimony? It didn't sound like he came back on the stand.

Drats.... I've reached my limit on the Tampa Bay paper....

I saw a Sgt. Hubble as a witness - do you 'what' LE dept? First name?

So I gather your neighbor will be back tomorrow for the ME testimony? It didn't sound like he came back on the stand.
ME testimony was this morning while my neighbor and I were in the courtroom. ME was released; not coming back. We will perhaps attend trial on Friday or one day next week when psychologists testify.

Re TampaBay.com - when I reach my 'limit' (which is ONE article, but thankfully I can keep it open and refresh it often), I then close out my internet browser and re-open again in incognito mode. Works every time.

John Jonchuck Sr is now getting sworn in. He was sitting on a bench in the hall when we left the courtroom late morning.

I'll update the afternoon witnesses in the next post.

Afternoon witnesses, so far:

CLAIRE AND ZACK (2:52 p.m.)
The defense calls John Jonchuck, Sr., the defendant’s dad.

John Jr. is looking to his left. He turns back and sees his father walk in, wearing a blue suit, long white hair held back with an elastic. Jonchuck mouths something to Manuele. He does not appear as distressed as when he saw his mother yesterday.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (2:45 p.m.)
The defense calls St. Pete PD’s Troy Harper. Jurors will recognize him, as he’s already been a witness for the prosecution.

Harper worked as a detective on this case. Williams asks if, while investigating Phoebe’s death, Harper got a tip about a traffic incident in Tampa involving a white PT Cruiser late the night Phoebe died (the same incident jurors just saw on video).

ZACK AND CLAIRE (2:27 p.m.)
Next witness is Elaine Vendrone, from Hillsborough County. She was out driving at the intersection of W Kennedy Boulevard and Westshore Boulevard in Tampa. That’s near Westshore Mall, she says, as McNeill questions her. This would have been shortly before Phoebe died.

ZACK AND CLAIRE (1:47 p.m.)
Defense attorney Greg Williams calls the next witness, former St. Pete PD Sgt. Theresa “Terry” Hubble, who retired after more than 28 years on the force.

ZACK (12:24 p.m.)
The defense calls St. Pete PD Officer Andre Sousa, who smashed out Jonchuck’s window the night he was arrested.

John Jonchuck Sr.
https://www.tampabay.com/florida/2019/03/27/the-trial-of-john-jonchuck-proving-the-murder/
CSICT6LX7JGJ7K5DPIM7574LIM.jpg

Defense attorney Greg Williams watches as John Jonchuck Sr. enters the courtroom Wednesday. His son, John Jonchuck Jr., watches in the background, center. SCOTT KEELER | Times

CLAIRE (4:05 p.m.)
After that, Helinger tells the jury it’s quitting time a few hours early. They’re pleasantly surprised, seems like, and the judge tells them to plan for a full 9 to 6 tomorrow.

CLAIRE (3:48 p.m.)
Tara Velez is here, called by the defense. She is 41 years old and lives in South Tampa. She’s a property manager.

She called the police about the case early on Jan. 8, 2015, as soon as she got into work and heard from a coworker that something terrible had happened, she says. She saw the story on the news and called 911.

She told police what she knew on the phone. Later she received notice to visit the State Attorney’s Office.

“The person you saw on the news was the person you’d seen the night before?” Williams asks.

They go back to 2015. Velez was living in an apartment complex. She and a friend went to Starbucks and her friend drove them back to the apartment. It was a cold night, she remembers. They stayed in the car chatting.

“I see a man walking with a little girl pacing in front of my staircase,” she says. They were holding hands. The girl wore shorts, a light sweater, socks. No shoes.

This bothered her: “I’m a mom, it was really cold out. It was late at night. And the little girl didn’t have what should have been on her to be out in the cold.”

The man looked lost, she said. She didn’t recognize him.
[...]

Prosecutors rest after quick case. Now the trial of John Jonchuck gets complicated.
March 27, 2019
LARGO — In a trial that is scheduled to take up to a month, where simply picking a jury took an entire week, prosecutors needed only two full days of testimony to make their first-degree murder case against John Jonchuck.

Prosecutors rested the case Wednesday after a parade of law enforcement officers walked through 5-year-old Phoebe Jonchuck’s fall off the Dick Misener Bridge and her father’s apprehension shortly thereafter.

The case could move so quickly, Pinellas criminal defense lawyer Jay Hebert said, because sworn law enforcement officers saw every detail that night.

“How many homicides do you have with the victim in the water and an eyewitness that saw it happen?” Hebert said. “I think the government wanted to be clean, timeline-oriented, very straightforward.”

On Monday, prosecutors started their narrative with Jan. 8, 2015, Jonchuck on the bridge, within sight of St. Petersburg Police Officer William “Drew” Vickers. They called Vickers to describe how, with his gun drawn, he watched Jonchuck drop his daughter.
[...]
Prosecutors brought “the what” to the jurors — and had an easy job doing it. It’s never been in dispute.

Now the defense — which is arguing Jonchuck was insane when he let Phoebe go — has to give jurors “the why.”
[...]

WOW! That was a quick State case!! I was kind of confused when they started reporting "defense witness" - and then I read the last article here!

Thanks again for keeping this case going! :)

Thursday, March 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9am ET) – FL – Phoebe Jonchuck (5) (Jan. 18, 2015, St. Petersburg-thrown off 62’ bridge into Tampa Bay by her father) – *John Nicolas Jonchuck, Jr. (25/now 28) arrested & charged (1/18/15) with 1st degree murder, aggravated assault with a vehicle on LE officers & aggravated fleeing & eluding police. Plead not guilty by reason of insanity. Held without bond.
Jury trial started 3/25/19. Jurors: 4 women & 8 men (alternates: 1 man & 3 women). Jurors may ask witnesses questions. (Trial could take at least one week. General hours are going to be 9am until 7pm).
Jury Selection Day 1 (3/18/19) thru 5 (3/22/19) reference post #218 here:
FL - Phoebe Jonchuck, 5, dropped from 60' bridge, St Petersburg, 8 Jan 2015 *Arrest*

3/25/19 Day 1: Opening Statements given. State witness: St. Petersburg police officer William “Drew” Vickers. Trial continues on 3/26.
3/26/19 Day 2: Jury may ask questions of witnesses. State witnesses: St. Pete PD Officer Huff. St. Pete PD Office Troy Harper & 2 LE officers from St. Petersburg police (no names given) & one from the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office. Michele Jonchuck (mother of defendant). Trial continues to 3/27.
3/27/18 Day 3: State witnesses: Dr. Christopher Wilson, an associate medical examiner for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office. Thaddius Coffin, a 14-year detective with St. Pete PD & the main forensic technician. States rests their case.
Defense witnesses: St. Pete PD Officer Andre Sousa, who smashed out Jonchuck’s window the night he was arrested. St. Pete PD Sgt. Theresa “Terry” Hubble. Elaine Vendrone. St. Pete PD’s Troy Harper (recalled). John Jonchuck, Sr. (father of defendant). Tara Velez (property mgr). Trial ends for the day. 9 to 6 tomorrow on 3/28.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida/2019/03/28/the-trial-of-john-jonchuck-day-9-the-defense-introduces-insanity/
March 28, 2019
CLAIRE AND JOSH (2:09 p.m.)
The jury comes back and Manuele asks Hernandez about Jonchuck’s medication routine.

Hernandez says since Jonchuck came back to Pinellas County Jail for this trial, he has taken his medication. The doctor has “definitely” noticed a change in Jonchuck’s behavior since then.

Before, he was unpredictable. Jonchuck once refused to go to court, and became fascinated with Hernandez’s ring.

Once, Jonchuck told Hernandez that his name was “John the Baptist,” though his given name was “Jonchuck.”

Hernandez remembers Jonchuck as paranoid and erratic in early 2015. He didn’t improve in those early months, the doctor says. That’s when he wasn’t taking psychiatric medications.

Hernandez explains psychosis as a mental disorder when one loses touch with reality. Hearing things when no one is there, for instance, or seeing things, or not making much sense.

Jonchuck’s comments like calling himself “John the Baptist” in their first conversation — “it came out of nowhere,” the doctor says. And in the same conversation, the doctor asked why Jonchuck would have killed his daughter.

“He said he was impotent,” the doctor remembers.

After that conversation, Hernandez says, Jonchuck didn’t want to talk to the doctor anymore.

Since Jonchuck arrived back in the county jail on March 13 ahead of the trial, though, he’s like “a totally different person,” Hernandez says.

ZACK (2:02 p.m.)
To slow down and explain what’s happening now: Hernandez is here as a treating psychiatrist, not a forensic psychiatrist. So this is not the expert testimony we’ve been previewing in other posts. Hernandez is a doctor, but he was not retained by the prosecution or defense to analyze Jonchuck’s mental state at the time of Phoebe’s death. Instead, his testimony has to do with his first-hand knowledge of Jonchuck’s mental status at the jail after arrest.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (1:50 p.m.)
Manuele is now questioning Pinellas County Jail psychiatrist Dr. Jose Hernandez. He’s the one Jonchuck saw upon his January 2015 arrest.

Dr. Hernandez was subpoenaed to testify today, paid by neither the state nor defense.

He’s practiced for 20 years.

Judge Chris Helinger asks if the jury is following Hernandez. “Eh,” is the collective answer. “You’ve got a heavy accent,” she says to him, and he laughs. She asks him to start over.

His job is to make sure inmates at the jail with mental illness get the proper treatment and are safe.

Witnesses today:
The Trial of John Jonchuck Day 9: Watch as the defense introduces insanity
March 28, 2019

CLAIRE, ZACK AND JOSH (5:18 p.m.)
After Dr. Williams is excused, the defense calls up another expert witness,
Heather Davis works as counseling and social services supervisor at the same North Florida treatment center.

CLAIRE, ZACK AND JOSH (4:25 p.m.)
Williams is questioning the defense’s latest witness, whose last name is also Williams.
Enter Dr. George Randall Williams, who works at the North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center in Gainesville. He’s a board certified psychiatrist, also certified in general and forensic psychiatry.
He first got a license as a medical doctor in Florida in 1979.

ZACK (2:02 p.m.)
To slow down and explain what’s happening now: Hernandez is here as a treating psychiatrist, not a forensic psychiatrist. So this is not the expert testimony we’ve been previewing in other posts. Hernandez is a doctor, but he was not retained by the prosecution or defense to analyze Jonchuck’s mental state at the time of Phoebe’s death. Instead, his testimony has to do with his first-hand knowledge of Jonchuck’s mental status at the jail after arrest.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (1:50 p.m.)
Manuele is now questioning Pinellas County Jail psychiatrist Dr. Jose Hernandez. He’s the one Jonchuck saw upon his January 2015 arrest.
Dr. Hernandez was subpoenaed to testify today, paid by neither the state nor defense.
He’s practiced for 20 years.

ZACK AND CLAIRE (1:25 p.m.)
Valerie Mallory is the first witness called after lunch by the defense.
She’s been waiting in the hallway all day, reading, we think, a book on Serena Williams.
She’s the receptionist at Lake Magdalene United Methodist Church in North Tampa.

CLAIRE AND ZACK (10:57 a.m.)
The priest has been pastor at St. Paul for six years. It’s huge, he said, with more than 6,000 families, and over 20,000 people registered in the parish.

ZACK (10:49 a.m.)

Next witness is a priest, Fr. Bill Swengros of St. Paul Catholic Church in Tampa.

ZACK (9:10 a.m.)
Torres is obviously a lawyer, which brings some confidentiality concerns, but attorney-client privilege has been waived. The court confirms that fact with Jonchuck before the jury is brought in.

ZACK (9:09 a.m.)
Dr. Emily Lazarou is in the gallery today to watch the testimony of Genevieve Torres, a custody lawyer who called authorities hours before Phoebe’s death because she was concerned about Jonchuck’s mental state.
You may remember that Lazarou was at the center of a defense motion which previously delayed this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrainbow85
Back