FL - Police Officer Kills K-9 Partner

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<snip>
"A source told Local 10 that Duke had barked when he wasn't supposed to during a training exercise at the Miami Dade Training Bureau. He was participating in training with the rest of the K-9 unit. The source said that after Duke barked, Cockfield "lost it" and kicked the dog several times.

Cockfield shook the dog, and when he realized the dog was unconscious, he rushed him to the clinic, according to the source. Cockfield had been a K-9 officer for 25 years and had no record of any problems, Local 10 reported."

http://www.local10.com/news/13416353/detail.html

What a piece of slime...

Okay, training exercise - sounds like there were others there? It says he kicked the dog several times - um, someone step in and STOP him. You ARE police and you deal with stopping this sort of thing (assault) almost daily. Hello?:mad:

I was riding at a park once and they were having police dog competitions so an officer came over and asked me not to ride my horse past while they were finishing up so I sat shielded in the edge of the woods and watched until they were done and it was great!

Okay, training exercise - sounds like there were others there? It says he kicked the dog several times - um, someone step in and STOP him. You ARE police and you deal with stopping this sort of thing (assault) almost daily. Hello?:mad:

Yeah, really makes you want to know what the heck was going on that no one stopped him or why a guy with no history of acting like this snapped suddenly.

That is crazy! Unfortunately for him, he's probably going to find out what it feels like when he gets to prison.

What is it they say to the kiddos? Oh yeah...

:furious: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.:furious:

I believe the law states that a K-9 is an officer of the law and killing one is killing an officer of the law - the penalties are the same.

Obviously this guy wasn't great with animals. I don't know how you get selected to have a K9 partner but given that he apparently has no regard for animals why would he even agree to this?

I am not an animal lover and I don't have any pets and never would. That being said I wouldn't consider hurting an animal any more than I would consider hurting a human being.

I guess maybe K9 partners can't complain about how you treat them like a human partner would...

Domesticated animals--including trained police dogs--are dependent on their human companions for responsible and appropriate care. Kind of like small children who look to their parents for support and guidance. "Losing it" and kicking a dog until it's unconscious doesn't fall under that category. Did this guy kick his kid unconscious if he backtalked?

That's what I thought too. I haven't read the article but I'd bet I'm one of the few that would vote death penalty for the *advertiser censored* that killed the K9. :mad:

I read the article and I would vote death penalty right along side you. As another poster wrote this dog was an officer of the law.

And this COWARD kicked this loyal officer to death!

As others said ,I just can't understand how others didn't stop him!

And this COWARD is a 27 year veteran of the force?
I wonder how much brutality he has been responsible for over the years?

And this happened in 2006 and he's just now being arrested? I hope he hasn't been paid for the time he's been relieved of his duty!!!! :furious: :banghead: :behindbar :mad:

K9 officers/police dogs often train up to several days a week with other K9 officers and their dogs sometimes along with schutzhund handlers and their dogs. There is usually a pretty tight bond and kinship within those groups. If that was the case with that scum who murdered his own police dog, I hope they shun him after telling him exactly what they think of him.

Lion

K9 officers/police dogs often train up to several days a week with other K9 officers and their dogs sometimes along with schutzhund handlers and their dogs. There is usually a pretty tight bond and kinship within those groups. If that was the case with that scum who murdered his own police dog, I hope they shun him after telling him exactly what they think of him.

Lion

See, this is what I'm having such a hard time understanding. I remember when I was a kid and a officer came to our school with his dog. I remember, vividly, how he was telling us that his relationship with his dog was one of the closest in the world. That his bond was so strong because he spends so much time with him, training and playing. That he knew this dog would protect his life, even give up his life for his, no questions asked.

There's another officer that goes to the same car wash that I go to and he always has his dog with him. His K-9 partner is close to retiring and the other officers are going to have a "retirement" party. He said how his family is planning on having him home full time now, but that he's still going to have to go for his weekly car wash :)

Unfortunately, there can be people who love having "pets" and truly love their pets, but shouldn't work with animals as a career. I've seen it more then I care to. Just like you can absolutely ADORE your own kids, but if you worked with children 40+ hours a week, you might hate it and not be an ideal person to do that career.

I've seen a lot of folk pass through various animal businesses who I would definitely call animal lovers, but they have a perception that working with them means sitting on the floor playing with sweet little cats & dogs when it also entails being slung around by animals that out weigh you, peed and pooped on, bitten scratched and then having to turn around and do it again the next day. NOT excusing this guy in ANY way, but people do get into pet related careers who have no business being there. Fortunately, most of them figure that out and find a new career.

Unfortunately, there can be people who love having "pets" and truly love their pets, but shouldn't work with animals as a career. I've seen it more then I care to. Just like you can absolutely ADORE your own kids, but if you worked with children 40+ hours a week, you might hate it and not be an ideal person to do that career.

I've seen a lot of folk pass through various animal businesses who I would definitely call animal lovers, but they have a perception that working with them means sitting on the floor playing with sweet little cats & dogs when it also entails being slung around by animals that out weigh you, peed and pooped on, bitten scratched and then having to turn around and do it again the next day. NOT excusing this guy in ANY way, but people do get into pet related careers who have no business being there. Fortunately, most of them figure that out and find a new career.

LE dogs are highly trained. They do not defecte or urinate on people and only bite/scratch when ordered to.

That wasn't my point. I was talking about people get into animal care that don't necessarily belong there. I know this guy didn't deal with those specific things, but obviously he wasn't someone who needed to be involved with animals as a career. Maybe he "likes dogs" and thought it would be a good choice, but loving animals doesn't always mean you TRULY have the patience.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimberlyJane523
Back