FL - Quarter-sized gallinippers to invade Sunshine State, entomologists predict

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh My GOD! I think I just regained consciousness after seeing that picture and reading your story!!! Holy Macarana! Nightmares for sure tonight!!!! :facepalm:

I didn't think roaches like that lived so far north! UGH!!! There is no where to escape them!!!

IKR! I had to take the day off I was so upset! :floorlaugh:

I was told that they grow so big because of the steam (?) in the basements of downtown Milwaukee's business district.

I am too! I'm literally wiping tears off my face!!!

And I don't know how many times I thought about that giant roach picture you posted yesterday, JustJudy! I think I would have had a full on coronary and DIED if I had found one in my apron pocket! Oh my LORD!

I have a terrible roach phobia. Seriously....like I probably need to get some help about it. I am terrified of them!

errr....GR? That was JusticeForever not me who posted that disgusting pic... and, btw, the scorpion was from her too! I dry heaved when I saw those bugs!! Hate them! shhhhh....or she'll turn them into memes.

errr....GR? That was JusticeForever not me who posted that disgusting pic... and, btw, the scorpion was from her too! I dry heaved when I saw those bugs!! Hate them! shhhhh....or she'll turn them into memes.

Oh my....I guess that roach picture just made me lose my brain! I didn't want to scroll back to see who posted it:facepalm:...so I took a guess! I knew it started with the letter J! HA HA! Still haunted by it! That thing even had hairy legs! :truce:

Are you making this up as you go along?

I couldn't/wouldn't! This disgusting creature was VERY real. It was in the basement of Walgreens at the Grand Ave. Mall! I swear! You can ask Mr. Blackstone (the manager that came to my rescue)!

:floorlaugh:

ROLFLMAO! I feel like a kid trying to convince someone that the monsters under the bed are real!

If you've ever lived in FL you would know that palmettos (a/k/a huge flying roaches), really do get that big :eek: :eek:

NPH has to clean them out of the pool skimmer for me, cause the make me want pass out :eek: :eek:

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

A meme? You mean like this one? ;)

attachment.php

If you've ever lived in FL you would know that palmettos (a/k/a huge flying roaches), really do get that big :eek: :eek:

NPH has to clean them out of the pool skimmer for me, cause the make me want pass out :eek: :eek:

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and am well acquainted with the giant Palmetto bugs. It's hard to convince people who don't live in the tropics that giant roaches and lizards inside the house do NOT mean the house is unclean.

They are simply facts of life in the (sub)tropics, along with alligators and water moccasins.

gently snipped by judy...

...and they let me know they're also having problems with...aggressive mockingbirds...who are attacking residents who get too close to their nest and young. Apparently the maintenance guy tried to move a nest and got beat up.

BBM

You & jf may need a reference book:
null_zps025f5742.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86987901/the-mincing-mockingbird-guide-to
"The Mincing Mockingbird Guide to Troubled Birds" is an illustrated pocket field guide that enables anyone to quickly identify psychotic, violent or mentally unstable bird species. .....Reviews of the guide have ranged from "hilarious" and "a classic" to "these should be burned along with 'Harry Potter' and 'Lolita,' ..."

$13.99 USD

The mockingbird reference is funny (including the pathetic maintenance guy) but is also humorously ironic because yesterday, one unnamed psycho murderer (aka inmate #KY4BRAINS) tweeted that she'd just finished "To Kill A Mockingbird."

(Report please if the following copy/pastes violate TOS)

Jodi Arias ‏@Jodiannarias 6h
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird, which I managed to avoid reading in HS. I understand now why it's a classic. Good read.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212837&page=17

She was only interested in the title because the word kill was in it.

Yes, no doubt that is why she chose to read this particular book. And "Ms Frank-Einstein" probably thought "To Kill A Mockingbird" was a true crime book.:jail::floorlaugh:

No...seriously y'all...I think one of these got in my house today and stung me. I saw my cat playing with something and when I tried swat this thing....it stung like a mutha and I screamed! It felt like a needle going into my finger!!! I took a picture of it with my Iphone, but I don't know how to upload it here?? Anyone?

I live in North Florida. I'm pretty sure this is what stung me today. My gosh...if these things are outside all around then I NEVER want to go outside again!! I HATE BUGS!!!!

[/B]
BBM

You & jf may need a reference book:
null_zps025f5742.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86987901/the-mincing-mockingbird-guide-to
"The Mincing Mockingbird Guide to Troubled Birds" is an illustrated pocket field guide that enables anyone to quickly identify psychotic, violent or mentally unstable bird species. .....Reviews of the guide have ranged from "hilarious" and "a classic" to "these should be burned along with 'Harry Potter' and 'Lolita,' ..."

$13.99 USD

:floorlaugh: A must read, for sure! ;)

No...seriously y'all...I think one of these got in my house today and stung me. I saw my cat playing with something and when I tried swat this thing....it stung like a mutha and I screamed! It felt like a needle going into my finger!!! I took a picture of it with my Iphone, but I don't know how to upload it here?? Anyone?

I live in North Florida. I'm pretty sure this is what stung me today. My gosh...if these things are outside all around then I NEVER want to go outside again!! I HATE BUGS!!!!

Do you think it was it a galinipper? :gasp:

Gypsy , you must find someone who can explain how to upload that pic. I have to confess :floorlaugh: that I laughed at the mental image I saw ....your cat playing with the bug ....... The bug getting up and stinging you .....and calling the bug a mutha... Haaaaaa I hate bugs too.

Perhaps. Or could it have been an "effing tomato sucking stink bug?" Or a gnat? A python? Maybe it was one of those black lizard thingys. Or an aggressive mockingbird.

Maybe it was a palmetto bug...an ugly escapee from creepy Mr. Blackstone's steamy old basement underneath the Grand Avenue Walgreens in downtown Milwaukee's business district.

...or a goose...they're "very intimidating"image.jpg

Perhaps. Or coulda been an effing tomato sucking stink bug? Or a gnat? A python? Maybe it was one of those black lizard thingys. Or an aggressive mockingbird.

Maybe it was a palmetto bug...an ugly escapee from creepy Mr. Blackstone's steamy old basement underneath the Grand Avenue Walgreens in downtown Milwaukee's business district.

...or a goose...they're "very intimidating"View attachment 35322

I just peed a little! LMAO! ;)

Yes!!! I DO!!! And I saved that "MUTHA"! It's in a plastic baggy - dead. My cat was swiping at it and when I swiped at it - the dang thang stung my FINGA! My hubs came running after he heard all the commotion and me screaming and caught the ugly thing in a tissue. I said "DON'T KILL IT YET!!!" and then I ran into the kitchen for a plastic bag so I could put it inside alive to inspect it- ha ha. It's dead now....I think I suffocated it. I compared it to Gallinipper photos on Google...and yes...I am 99% that's what it is!!! UGH!

Perhaps. Or coulda been an effing tomato sucking stink bug? Or a gnat? A python? Maybe it was one of those black lizard thingys. Or an aggressive mockingbird.

...or a goose...they're "very intimidating"View attachment 35322
:floorlaugh:

Yes!!! I DO!!! And I saved that "MUTHA"! It's in a plastic baggy - dead. My cat was swiping at it and when I swiped at it - the dang thang stung my FINGA! My hubs came running after he heard all the commotion and me screaming and caught the ugly thing in a tissue. I said "DON'T KILL IT YET!!!" and then I ran into the kitchen for a plastic bag so I could put it inside alive to inspect it- ha ha. It's dead now....I think I suffocated it. I compared it to Gallinipper photos on Google...and yes...I am 99% that's what it is!!! UGH!

OMG! YOu poor thing!

Did it hurt more than a regular mosquito bite? Does it itch?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back