Found Deceased FL - Robert Heikka, 70, Port Orange, 25 Oct 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I went to HS in Port Orange, there are a couple of ways to get to Deland from where his house is. You can go on I-4 or a backroads route on SR-44. My folks actually lived a couple neighborhoods over and my dad worked in Deland. He always took the backroads.
The news report says it pinged last near I-4 and Deland so I’m thinking Exit 44 off of 4 traveling toward Deland.

Are there places along SR-44 in that area by I-4 that has mangroves or low places with palm trees he could be if he went off the highway?
I keep thinking about the guy on his motorbike that wreaked on busy 275 in Tampa and no one spotted him for days.
I haven't been through there in years so it could be more developed but yes, there used to be a huge forest on 44 we used to go hiking in. It was also used by hunters. There were no mangroves or swampy areas though. Any excursion by a car would be pretty easy to spot I would think. A car leaves a pretty big "hole" in the brush when it goes into the woods.

I’m starting to wonder who seen him leave his house that Sunday morning?
Did they actually see Robert that morning or just his car?
What was he doing on Saturday and Saturday evening?

Last edited:
I’m starting to wonder who seen him leave his house that Sunday morning?
Did they actually see Robert that morning or just his car?
What was he doing on Saturday and Saturday evening?
My guess is that he was last seen by a neighbor or a neighbor's camera. MOO

Robert Heikka, middle school teacher in Port Orange, missing (wesh.com)
Heikka was seen leaving home in his car Oct. 25 and the same day investigators said Heikka's cellphone was tracked to the area of I-4 and State Road 44. After that, the phone became inactive.

Volusia County middle school teacher missing for weeks (fox13news.com)
Police said there was no sign of a break-in at his house. Police spoke with Heikka’s daughter, son, and neighbors, but none of them know where he is.

According to a police report, neighbors mentioned seeing a woman at his house recently, but police say they eventually tracked her down and determined she’s not a person of interest.

claire metz on Twitter
Search continues for missing #portorange man who is a Creekside Middle School teacher.@PortOrangePD say 70yo Robert Heikka was last seen driving away from home Sunday & just disappeared. Nothing suspicious at house. Car is white 2012 Chevy Impala, Fl tag KRZ178

So, he's an adult runaway? How odd. Did he plan a trip north? He teaches digital information technology, so he would know how to cover his tracks and stay under the radar. But why?

Port Orange police said Heikka, who goes by the name Bob and has been with Volusia County Schools since 1989 and has taught at Creekside Middle School in Port Orange since 2002, was captured on surveillance video at an ATM near Canaveral Shores.

Police said Heikka appeared to be alone in his white 2012 Chevrolet Impala when he made a typical bank transaction on Oct. 24.

So, he's an adult runaway? How odd. Did he plan a trip north? He teaches digital information technology, so he would know how to cover his tracks and stay under the radar. But why?

Port Orange police said Heikka, who goes by the name Bob and has been with Volusia County Schools since 1989 and has taught at Creekside Middle School in Port Orange since 2002, was captured on surveillance video at an ATM near Canaveral Shores.

Police said Heikka appeared to be alone in his white 2012 Chevrolet Impala when he made a typical bank transaction on Oct. 24.
Brevard County is south of Volusia County.

I wonder if he went by the Space Center. There was a SpaceX Starlink launch on Oct 24 and an Atlas V on the launchpad for early Nov launch.

Police to give update on Florida teacher who was reported missing in October

They will speak at 10 a.m. on Monday.

Police to give update on Florida teacher who was reported missing in October
This is confusing. The PIO says RH didn't show up for work on the morning of the 25th which is a Monday, but the 25th of Oct was a Sunday.

The lead investigator says RH was seen leaving his home by neighbors on the morning of the 24th. All initial reports were that RH was last seen leaving his home on the 25th.

This is what I have until there is clarification...

Sat, Oct 24 – RH was seen in the evening near Cocoa (Brevard County) in Cape Canaveral Shores at an ATM. He appeared to be alone in the video and made a typical bank transaction.

Sun, Oct 25 – Neighbors saw RH driving away in the morning from his home at 1650 Arash Cir, Port Orange, FL. Address is per Volusia FL Public Access (vcgov.org).

Sun, Oct 25 – RH’s cell phone pinged by Interstate 4 and State Road 44 near the Volusia County Fairgrounds.

Mon, Oct 26 – When RH was a no-show at Creekside Middle School, staff went to his home. When there was no answer, they contacted police.
The area by the Fairgrounds has homes that are very secluded and massive properties with giant pull barnes and or garages that is covered by 10 foot grass in some areas.
Welcome to Websleuths! Nice to have you with us. :)

Just relistened to the press conference posted directly on the Port Orange Police Department Facebook page. Mr. Heikka was last seen on October 24th via the bank ATM video footage. They are now saying that no neighbors saw him on Oct 25th.

The news report says it pinged last near I-4 and Deland so I’m thinking Exit 44 off of 4 traveling toward Deland.
I4 is a well traveled interstate. SR44 is a state road that intersects at I4, not exit 44.
I was at SR44 and I4 on Sept 25th to rescue a cat that someone dumped a can of paint on. It is a desolate area except for a seedy hotel/motel, which is where the cat was. There were quite a few questionable people living there, all were 18 to 25ish. Drugs, drinking, milling around in outdoor stairwells. Most seemed to be gay men.
The surrounding area was vacant. I did not feel comfortable there. It was about 11pm. Do we know what time his phone pinged there? Can they pinpoint exactly where? Was it at the hotel or on the highway?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supersnooper001
Back