GUILTY FL - Sade Dixon, 24, & Sgt. Debra Clayton, 42, slain, Orlando, Dec 2016 & Jan 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Convicted killer to represent self in officer’s murder trial

A convicted killer will act as his own attorney in his upcoming trial for the death of an Orlando police officer in 2017.

A judge granted Markeith Loyd’s handwritten motion on Monday, court records show. The trial for the fatal shooting of Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton is set for Oct. 8. Loyd faces the death penalty if convicted.

Convicted killer Markeith Loyd requests co-counsel for second murder trial

A hearing scheduled for Thursday afternoon in the case against Markeith Loyd is expected to center around his request for co-counsel after a judge granted a motion earlier this month to let him act as his own attorney.

If convicted of killing Clayton, Loyd could face the death penalty. Earlier this year, a judge set a new trial date of Oct. 8 and said she believed the trial would last “four to six weeks, most of which will be jury selection.”

Loyd was convicted in October 2019 of killing Dixon. He’s also already serving a life sentence for that conviction.

The hearing is set to begin at 1:30 p.m.

Watch Live: Markeith Loyd Jury Selection in Lt. Debra Clayton Shooting
Watch Live: Markeith Loyd Jury Selection in Lt. Debra Clayton Shooting
Jury selection is ongoing for a convicted murder now on trial for a law enforcement officer’s death. Markeith Demangzlo Loyd, 46, shot and killed Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton, 42, while he was on the run for murdering his pregnant girlfriend Sade Dixon, 24, prosecutors say.

https://twitter.com/LawCrimeNetwork
https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

@cathyrusson
WATCH LIVE: Day 2 of jury selection in #MarkeithLoyd death penalty trial. Loyd, already serving life for murder of pregnant ex-girlfriend Sade Dixon, is also charged with murder of Lt. Debra Clayton.

WATCH LIVE: Markeith Loyd Trial Day 2 - Jury Selection
The defendant shot and killed Police Lt. Debra Clayton on January 9, 2017, when she tried to bring him in on a warrant in the murder of his pregnant ex-girlf...
9:14 AM · Oct 11, 2021·Twitter Web App

Trial starts for Florida man in police officer slaying
Trial starts for Florida man in police officer slaying
Posted Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:16 am
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Jury selection has begun for the trial of a Florida man accused of killing a police officer after he fatally shot his pregnant ex-girlfriend.
[...]
The jury selection began Friday with an initial pool of 240 people. Circuit Judge Leticia Marques said once selected jurors will be sequestered at a local hotel to avoid their seeing or reading news about the case.
[...]
The trial is expected to last up to three weeks.

Some of these responses in jury selection are making me cringe. The current potential juror keeps saying “no comment at this time.” Eek. You can just tell some folks want to appear a certain way and are not being clear and direct about their opinions. I know it’s nerve-wrecking but still.

They just had a PJ on who said death should be the automatic sentence for a 1st degree premeditated murder in her response to the judge. Judge didn’t press her and then she was all over the place during defense questioning and finally defense got her to admit that she thinks death is appropriate for 1st degree murder. She got excused. And I’m scratching my head wondering why did it take so long to excuse this PJ?? She certainly didn’t help matters because she was so confusing in her answers. But even the lawyers are so confusing in how they ask questions. The questions are so long first of all!

A lot of these jurors say one thing and then turn around in their very next answer and say a contradictory thing. Instead of probing them on why they’re contradicting themselves or pointing it out to them the questions are vague and convoluted, which just adds more confusion.

There’s a PJ on now who is saying she feels nothing about the death penalty. She has no opinion. She just can’t answer the question. Man, I don’t know how these attorneys maintain their patience with some of these responses. It is like pulling teeth to get straight, coherent answers from some of these folks. I know people are nervous but phew!

Aggravating, for sure. Too many PJ's are confusing and contradictory. . . to the point of Bizarre!
The judge seems to be out of her league. I wonder if she has handled a DP trial before. EDIT: I now see that this same judge presided in the prior trial of Loyd for Victim Sade Dixon which was a DP trial. Loyd was sentenced to Life in Prison. I'm not impressed with this judge! I didn't follow the prior trial.

UPDATES: Day 4 of jury selection in Markeith Loyd’s murder trial
Wednesday, Oct. 13
On Wednesday, jurors have been questioned about their feelings on the death penalty and on insanity.
It was slow going again as the jurors are now being asked how they feel about Markeith Loyd’s insanity defense.
Lawyers have now asked these jurors more detailed questions about their dealing with mental health and how they feel about sentencing someone to death if they are convicted.
[...]

Jury selection continues in Markeith Loyd trial for Orlando cop’s killing
OCT 13, 2021 AT 4:19 PM
Potential jurors were interviewed individually about their exposure to the case, as well as their beliefs on mental illnesses and capital punishment.
[...]
Out of those interviewed Wednesday, one potential juror said she is a licensed Aspire clinician who is part of an Orlando Police Department pilot program that sends mental health professionals instead of officers to 911 calls involving non-violent people in crisis.

The woman told attorneys she could presume Loyd is innocent until he is proven guilty and would not be influenced by her ties to law enforcement.

“In my line of work ... I have to be fair,” she said. “I cannot let my own personal bias affect any part of my personal job and, if I was chosen as a juror, it would be the exact same way. ... Contemplating someone’s life is something to be taken seriously.”
[...]

Last edited:
I agree the judge is not very good at presenting a reassuring and commanding demeanor that could go a long way to putting these jurors at ease. She doesn’t explain things slowly and clearly. She seems rushed to get through it. But the lawyers are also convoluted in their questioning. Some of these questions are so leading in nature that I’m not sure the responses are giving a clear insight into what the PJ really believes/thinks. It’s a sad display on all sides.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back