FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sounds like state is eager to talk to her for a potential plea negotiation. Very interesting development. The prosecutor said that she has indicated to lawyers she’s spoken to recently that she wants to speak to the state.

I think she has legitimate concerns and is overwhelmed by having to rep herself. But she did this to herself by being a prima Donna. For example, she doesn’t have access to a phone or internet to be able to contact potential trial witnesses etc. These are legit concerns but no one can help her now. I’m liking the judge. He’s sticking by his decision and not coddling her. He’s like “yup you have 62 days to get ready for trial!” Yeeeeeesh! That’s not enough for a lawyer let alone a pro se defendant.

She may actually come out OK in all this if the state pleas her out just to not go through a painful trial! I don’t know if the victim has family that’s breathing down the state’s neck! But I see a voluntary manslaughter plea deal in her future. The state has leverage now because she clearly will be convicted if she goes to trial as pro se. It’s a forgone conclusion!

JMO

If her choices are a plea deal or a pro se trial she knows she'll lose, it would make a lot of sense for her to take a plea but I also see her as hardheaded enough to want to take it to trial.

If her choices are a plea deal or a pro se trial she knows she'll lose, it would make a lot of sense for her to take a plea but I also see her as hardheaded enough to want to take it to trial.

I think the defendant who goes through eight (8) attorneys is one who thinks they are the smartest person in the room! This^^ and because SB wants her attorney to speak nicely to her. If the Judge would instruct her last lawyer to speak gently, and be nice to SB, she would rehire the lawyer!

I found the Judge at today's hearing being very patient, and providing SB with detailed answers to her questions. IMO, SB doesn't feel like he's blowing her off, and I think she likes "being on level" with the Judge.

But I think SB will tire, and will next request a new Judge! Failing at this request, only then could she entertain a plea agreement. JMO

Yes I agree I think she’s already getting tired. The judge is unflappable. He’s putting on a masterclass for how to effectively deal with controlling, difficult personalities. She’s so annoying in how she mirrors his speech cadence. It’s like she’s mocking him but I think it’s her way of managing her lack of control. By acting like she’s on the same level as the judge etc. So gross. In that cloying little voice of hers.

The state is being very helpful towards her. I think they’re buttering her up so she will agree to a plea deal. That’s what I mean - her obstinate behavior may end up serving her in the end. As tired as she is, the court and state are also tired of her bs. The judicial system has to proceed in an efficient, almost rubber stamp like manner in order to get things done. That’s how all these people are used to doing it. The pro se defendants have an advantage in being able to create chaos for people who like order. They want to be done with this case as quickly as possible. That’s her leverage.

JMO

I have some questions if anyone knows the answers. Was she warned that if she kept causing attorneys to move to withdraw, she could waive her right to counsel?

And has she had a competency exam?

I have some questions if anyone knows the answers. Was she warned that if she kept causing attorneys to move to withdraw, she could waive her right to counsel?

And has she had a competency exam?
Seems she was warned about forfeiting counsel:

Why did Sarah Boone forfeit her right to a court-appointed attorney?​

Judge Kraynick said Boone forfeited her right to court-appointed counsel and had "waived by her conduct" her right to counsel, according to the order. The judge justified the decision, noting that Boone had previously been warned that a future court-appointed lawyer may not be provided and that she had been warned about the "dangers of self-representation."

"Actions speak louder than words," Judge Kraynick said.

"Although defendant’s words seemingly reveal a desire to go to trial, however, as set forth herein, her actions and inability to work with court-appointed counsel, are repeated over and over. Allowing defendant to her eighth court appointed attorney (her ninth attorney overall) will only serve to delay the case further and encourage defendant to persist in efforts to prevent the resolution of the case on its merits," he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back