FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadowizar, what time was it when you and your wife went looking? Nevermind, see that you went out after the 10 p.m. news.

There is a forensic astrology thread (link in my signature) where I think you'd be safe talking about your psychic information ... unless the man is B. who has dreams. From what I've been told, he is the equivalent of Voldemort and Must Not Be Named.

It's B :D

We went out after the 10pm news. We questioned the police and some of the people searching and we didn't move more than a block past Debarry going towards Grove Park Elementary because we were told she was last seen at Debarry @ Gano moving going towards the Junior High School. I personally remember stopping at the Grove Rd and turning back around back towards OPJH.

Just a question-did you put or help your daughter put her headband in her hair?
IMO you are more likely to recall small details like that if you did it yourself-Somer's mom specifically said she put Somer's hair up and put the bow in that morning. I can see not knowing what backpack she had if she has more than one and DT did not accompany her to school or see her leave.
Don't mean to make you think about this more-lol-just something I thought of.

IF it were me and I wasn't there to see my daughter leave or accompany her to school, AT LEAST I WOULD KNOW which backpack or bookbag was missing.

As a mom, I think I would at least KNOW my daughters belongings. And would know which school bag is missing from home.

Unless Somer had more backpacks and bookbags than we have possible suspects. :waitasec:

Whether you saw your child leave for school that morning or not, how many of you here think you'd be able to determine EXACTLY which bag they left with?

tarabull.

shadow...welcome....

I am curious as to why they were searching near the jh as her normal route would have been to turn on debarry to head home and the jh seems so far from her normal route......is this just an extra step they took or where they focused? tyia....

snipped and bolded by me

First of all WELCOME! Thanks for coming here to share. Locals can add so much information to the case.

My question is are you saying that the area of the house on Gano ave. AND the park were never searched that night? Or are you just saying you didn't search there that night?

I ask because it seemed like those areas were searched that night and that would significantly shorten the time someone would have to commit this horrible act. If those areas were not searched, then maybe the perp had more time than I thought.

I am sure some people searched that far but we mostly concentrated further up the road between Debarry and Madeira Dr and most of the people I remember were in that area as well.

The theory at the time was the child was upset and running from the group. Logic would dictate a turn down Debarry towards home if that's where she was heading. Since she was upset and the word out was she had been spotted past Debarry already moving down Gano that's where a lot of us concentrated the search. Lots of wooded areas, drainage ditches, retention ponds.

I can't speak for everyone that searched but for us personally that's what led us more towards OPJH instead of the normal route home.

Tara, I'd be able to tell you what bag my son left with because he has one and he keeps it in one place. If it was there, I'd know he didn't take it. If it's gone, he did.

BUT if Somer's backpacks were (and I'm making this up) in her room, by the door, in the family room, in dress-up clothes, in closet) then when you gave the report you might say what backpack/bag she'd been using the last few days but you might not know if she changed her mind and chose another bag (if you left before she did).

Newly Created Map

Estimating and looking at another map, OPJH would be past the bottom left corner area where this map ends? It's past Dolphin which does not show on this map. Will try to edit this just for reference.

I ask myself the same questions. And the other question that always pops up is:

who would be most likely to hide in plain sight. or
who could most easily hide in plain sight.

That question always takes me away from RSOs because they will always be the first to be questioned.

There are always transient RSO's, absconded RSO's and RSO's who move.
In Somer's neighborhood I see 7 RSO's have recently moved out of that neighborhood and 2 who recently moved into that neighborhood. All within 2.1 miles of the Gano house.

<snipped>

I suspect that a RSO was not involved in Somer's disappearance and murder -- given the short period of time, and the likely number of other people nearby, I think she either made it home or was approached by someone she knew -- but I still like to keep an open mind. So, what's next for WK?

Sorry for such a long first post; next will be more succinct.

~~~
firefly blinks

snipped by me.

WELCOME Cocuya!

I initially thought she may have made it home. And I still go back to this theory. I would love to know where SP was when Somer's siblings got home. Was he just kickin' back watchin' TV and waiting for them, or was he out back doing something? Besides him telling AT to go look for her sister and the conversation he had with mom about Somer not making it home we really don't know much about what he was doing. Did he go out and search? We've heard that the mom picked up the oldest brother (AC) at OPAA, the boyfriend came home and took Somer's twin out to look, but where was SP and what did Somer's sister do during this time?
Do we have this info and I've missed it?

Is it me...... or did anyone else find it strange when the woman who last took Somer to school said on an interview.....with attitude...imo....that while speaking of Somer not knowing a stranger and being overly friendly or something, she said "Ill just leave it at that" very agitated like.....

.......this has been bothering me forever and wonder if it struck anyone else as an odd statement.....

It has been so quiet for awhile.......
is this the calm before the storm?
Did someone say a ribbon was kept as a souvenir?
Was it here? and kept by whom?
Was anything ever found of Somer's?
like homework, books? backpack? any papers?

Locals??? have the schools made any changes in walking home from school?
are parents in a panic?
Does LE seem to be out in force big time?

Disappointing info from LE. How is the public supposed to help if they have little to go on?

Please note this from CNN Justice:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/05/grace.coldcase.year/index.html

"Media coverage is absolutely essential for us," said Detective Adam Wygnanski, one of the lead investigators working the case for the Reno Police Department. "We finally got the break in the case we were looking for."

Is it me...... or did anyone else find it strange when the woman who last took Somer to school said on an interview.....with attitude...imo....that while speaking of Somer not knowing a stranger and being overly friendly or something, she said "Ill just leave it at that" very agitated like.....

.......this has been bothering me forever and wonder if it struck anyone else as an odd statement.....

I just view it as there are some that want to place the blame on the parents in some way because they themselves wouldn't do things a certain way. I'm a very overprotective parent and my children are in their teens already. My daughter sounds exactly like how Somer was. She's friendly to the point of lacking common sense about the possible danger she could be in. Can't blame Diena for that. Children are children. We do our best as parents to teach and look out for them and hope ultimately that what we teach them allows them to safely and happily get through life.

It has been so quiet for awhile.......
is this the calm before the storm?
Did someone say a ribbon was kept as a souvenir?
Was it here? and kept by whom?
Was anything ever found of Somer's?
like homework, books? backpack? any papers?

Locals??? have the schools made any changes in walking home from school?
are parents in a panic?
Does LE seem to be out in force big time?

I'll have to look into this, between work and researching what I could for the case, I haven't been around the area she disappeared from in a week. I live on Madeira by WE Cherry elementary and there are ALWAYS police around there even before this. I see them so often in the year I lived here I know them by sight.

I work the typical 9-5 so I am not sure how many more parents or adults are now around keeping an eye out on the children walking home. While I haven't seen any panic, I think it's safe to say it's never going to be the same around this neighborhood.

A lot of us are angry. I for one would like a few days alone with the people or person who did this. When I think about the fact someone threw her out like garbage, I'd actually pay for that privilege of having the perp(s) to myself for a few days. I'd make my own SAW movie out of it.

I haven't gotten any notices from the school about any changes in the walking policy.

Part of the information that is still not known or being talked about by LE is whether they found anything of Somer's. The general feeling that I've seen is support for LE regardless of the lack of information. I have faith they're keeping most info for a reason.

Shadow - did local reports actually put her past debarry on Gano and still moving in that direction?

I know the 3rd crossing guard could not remember seeing her - did anyone else that you know of?

The guard simply may not remember - but we have not heard of anyone else seeing her that far down heve we?

I don't know about that comment.

There is one from a neighbor regarding trash pick-up that says something like "Take that how you want."

I just view it as there are some that want to place the blame on the parents in some way because they themselves wouldn't do things a certain way. I'm a very overprotective parent and my children are in their teens already. My daughter sounds exactly like how Somer was. She's friendly to the point of lacking common sense about the possible danger she could be in. Can't blame Diena for that. Children are children. We do our best as parents to teach and look out for them and hope ultimately that what we teach them allows them to safely and happily get through life.
thanks for the reply...as I am curious how others took it.....but, I do not agree as this is a good friend of DT, who is helping her grieve, who said this and was not and is not aiming blame at DT whatsoever which is why I am still puzzled by this statement she made........jmo

I think I will go back to the beginning and look at everything again. Something is just off.

When children go missing usually the focus is initially on the immediate family and the person last know to see the child. Usually the focus remains on them until they are cleared. A thorough police dept will also conduct a simultaneous investigation into other evidence/tips/leads that take them in another direction.

The Sheriff says no one is clear but himself. So the family still hasn't been cleared??
If we didn't find out so quickly about the high number of RSO's in the area where would our focus be?
I keep coming back to the people in Somer's house and Kyle (who proclaims he was the last person to see Somer alive)

Heading back to the beginning . . .

I don't know about that comment.

There is one from a neighbor regarding trash pick-up that says something like "Take that how you want."
do you have this interview link? tyia

My impression is she wanted to say more. Maybe give an example of a time she felt Somer was overly friendly. From her comment it seems she has seen more then one instance of Somer behaving this way, and maybe with people this woman considers to be unsavory or inappropriate in some way.
This may be her way of trying to express something hinky without painting Somer or her family in a bad light.
All just my speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member