FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unspeakably awful for anything like this to happen but just to inject a little realism into the debate.

-13 states by my count have worse sex offender per capita rates than Florida.
-Sex offense crimes have steadily decreased over the last 25 years.
-Meghan's laws about public reporting of sex offenders seem to have very little effect and probably do more to scare people than anything else.

I hear ya'. The fact is, most missing children who turn up dead are killed by family or someone they know. But the thing is, either way, the murder of a child is horrific and even though stranger abduction murders are rare when compared to other tragedies like cancer, car accidents, the flu, etc., the thing that gets us about these cases is that they are so preventable. There is so much that can happen to our kids due to no fault really of anyone. Yet we have to worry about this? We don't live in the wilderness yet we have to worry about human mountain lions roaming around, looking for kids? This should not have to be.
But, I do believe there is something we can do about it. However, we have to be able to reach in our pockets and pay for it. We need a one strike law for those who molest children. Sensible laws that include predators, not a 20 year old with a 17 year old girlfriend or someone who peed in public.
The reason we don't have such laws is the cost. State legislators have refused to pass them because it costs a bundle to house such monsters for life. Well, I'm willing to pay for it. Anyone else? We can start petitions in our areas for one strike laws paid for by a special tax - an extra tax on anything - and get the ball rolling. We do have the power to create change here and I think it's worth it.

There's nothing wrong with sleuthing someone who might have a connection to the case however I know from experience that posting information such as addresses, phone numbers etc is not allowed; even if it is in the public domain. This was why I suggested the families home address be removed from an earlier post.

I would hate to see someone's life ruined because suspicion was put out there without any evidence of guilt.

Maz

:cow:

ETA: I'm behaving hoppy please don't give me warts! :frog:

Is anyone able to recall in any other case a landfill being searched within 48 hours of the child going missing?

I don't.

I think we will have an arrest fairly quickly in this case. LE probably knows who the perp is.

No, and I agree there will be an arrest soon. IMO, something led them to this landfill so soon in the investigation.

I removed the sketch because the sketch is NOT ASSOCIATED with Somer. I know I picked up the link from this forum and never read the article, just saved the picture.

I am going to remove all of my posts to the sketch. For anyone replying to it, it might be a good idea to remove your posts also, so as to not confuse the issue with a sketch not related to Somer.

That sketch is the man that tried to convince three kids on their way home from school in Orlando to get in his car. Said their mom sent him.
Happened a month ago. I linked the case early last thread.

OK, this is where I got the sketch from ....

I associated that info with Somer .......... GEEZZZ!

STOP IT, please just stop it! This child's death is bad enough for everyone, her family, friends, classmates, searchers....we do not need to add to it by pointing fingers at those who LE has not even hinted had anything to do with this.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but I am so sad at how the focus turned to doing back ground cks & facebook postings when instead we should have been focused only on this child. This case is NOT anything similar to KC or Haleigh....not even close as far we know now.

I want you to step back & think, really think about something. I am normally home when the children in my neighborhood get off the bus. Two wks ago my neighbor boys came & rang my door bell asking to use my phone. They were unable to get into their house as they had forgotten the key that morning. Of course I let them come in and use my phone, I know these kids, their mom, dad etc. They called mom who then gave them the code to the garage door. I then spoke to the mother who said she had not given the kids the code before b/c she didnt want someone to see them coming in that way daily as it can be seen from the street & they key they use goes to a back door. Now, what would have happened if those kids had gone home, put in the code, went inside & there was some bad people inside who then killed the kids or took the kids. Okay, who is the last person to SEE them, ME!!!! Would then everyone in a website be running background cks on me? Would they be putting my facebook or myspace page up to the public, remarking on every comment or pictures? Instead of seeing ME as a neighbor who is blessed enough not to have to work, would it be said " why is this woman home, she should be working, most people work, she knows those kids are home & the parents aren't. What do u think she did?" Do you see how unfair that is??? This was not a case where a mother waited 31 days to report nor is it a case where the story changed. To be honest, I am pretty over protective of my kids & now my grand kids BUT if they got home without the other, I probably would say "run outside & see if you see her." We dont know these kids searched for an hour. This person had no reason to think, at that very moment, anything was wrong. Kids are kids, they stop & play in leaves or look at a pretty rock, they do not think like we do nor do they know the dangers.

The pain this family, this community is going thru is horrible. We didnt need to add to that by running back ground cks on those who we had no reason to believe were involved. IF we continue to do this, NO ONE is going to get involved to help each other out. IF I thought for one minute all my personal info would end up on the net, I sure wouldnt let the kids use my phone the next time & ensure they got home safe!

It would be inappropriate to put up speculation on the support/condolences board, certainly.

But this website is for the sleuther, and sleuthers postulate many possibilities when considering a crime.

If my daughter went missing and was murdered, you can bet I would be thankful to have sleuthers trying to solve the case, adding what they can, as they can, on WS.

One of the most irritating things about WS is that over and over and over again, this whole "stop it!" business comes up in response to legitimate questions about the behavior of those near the victim. It's not a witch hunt going on here, it's thoughtful sleuthing.

It is unspeakably awful for anything like this to happen but just to inject a little realism into the debate.

-13 states by my count have worse sex offender per capita rates than Florida.
-Sex offense crimes have steadily decreased over the last 25 years.
-Meghan's laws about public reporting of sex offenders seem to have very little effect and probably do more to scare people than anything else.

Possibly so...which state has the most murdered children?

No, and I agree there will be an arrest soon. IMO, something led them to this landfill so soon in the investigation.

I don't know, they were awfully persistant about it being routine in the search for a missing person.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4322764&postcount=329"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only[/ame]
another post in astro thread from Tuba

I am over 40........errr, ok, over 45, and it's a damn shame that the world we live in now is not like when I was a kid in the 60's.

Where has it all gone wrong? Has it been a subtle change over the years? I know we weren't without crime and abductions, etc., but, Lordy, things have changed drastically.

Stayed out all day playing at neighbors, friends, went to the local park by ourselves, waited til Dad stood on porch and whistled for us to come home for dinner.

Somer's Mother Speaks out at Candlelight Vigil
Created: 10/21/2009 7:45:00 PM
Updated: 10/21/2009 8:06:06 PM
<snipped>
Hundreds of people gathered in front of Somer Thompson's home this evening for a candlelight vigil just hours after police found the body of a little girl in a landfill in Georgia.

"I don't know if anyone has lost anybody...you guys have been amazing," said Diena Thompson, the mother of Somer Thompson.

Thompson thanked the community for its support during the past few days, telling them she didn't know how she would ever be able to repay them. "I never expected this...you guy's have been amazing."

"I love her and I'll miss her," Thompson said.

genthumb.ashx

genthumb.ashx

genthumb.ashx

Article:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=147039&catid=3

:angel:

Was the bf's name released by LE or the media? Has anything been posted here that is not public....like his indigo child thingy? That is public, isn't it? Guess I'm just insensitive to the angst about the bf being "sleuthed".....sorry. I'll keep my ideas and suspicions to myself.

And FWIW, I'm so mad that Nancy is covering BALLOON BOY on a day like today. Why not Somer? Why not Morgan?

Some info on your suspect. Looks like he might be from Putnam Cnty.
Don't you just love it ?
His sentence for L/L battery of a minor carried a lighter sentence than his 1980 Uttering Forgery conviction.

05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 3Y 0M 0D
Current Community Supervision History:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Community Supervision Length
05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 0Y 2M 24D
Incarceration History:
Date In-Custody Date Out-of-Custody
10/08/1982 12/02/1983
11/06/1984 05/17/1985
07/20/2004 10/26/2005

Current Community Supervision History:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Community Supervision Length
05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 0Y 2M 24D

07/30/1980 UTTERING FORGERY 09/30/1982 PUTNAM 8000785 4Y 0M 0D
05/02/1984 UTTERING FORGERY 10/31/1984 VOLUSIA 8402298 1Y 6M 0D

=======================

Thanks chi... wow .. but I don't know what L/L battery is.. Could you tell me please????[/QUOTE]

If I rememer correctly, he's listed as a predator.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0800/SEC04.HTM

(4) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS BATTERY.--A person who:

(a) Engages in sexual activity with a person 12 years of age or older but less than 16 years of age; or

(b) Encourages, forces, or entices any person less than 16 years of age to engage in sadomasochistic abuse, sexual bestiality, prostitution, or any other act involving sexual activity

commits lewd or lascivious battery, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member