FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this one shows the fence and how it butts up to 1080....
102_1639.jpg

full view of home:
102_1659.jpg

Cam,
When I saw this pic with the camper parked beside that fence between the 2 houses, I had an eerie thought. Just going to throw it out there - thinking out loud here - what IF somer left the gano house and went between that camper and the fence to cut through that back yard and cross Grove Park behind the crossing guard who told your son somer never made it that far....and....some teenagers were hanging out in that camper. Say somer heard voices in there and knocked on the door looking for someone else to talk to. One of the teenagers let her in. Say there was something going on with those teens in that camper that somer was not suppose to see. They grab her and pull her in and....? It was just an eerie thought. KWIM? Gives me chills. Do I remember you or someone saying that camper had a "for sale" sign on it later?

who has any ideas as to
1. Why they brought in digging equipment to Gano and dug with it? One would think that using a shovel would be more conducive to retaining evidence. So why digging equipment?
2. Where did they lose Somer's scent and how could it be lost when it is claimed that even being taken by car , a scent still could be followed?

Can people please post any pictures of the house they were renovating on Gano again.

Those commenters on jax.com are really, really mad! Like Mad as H. lol.

Um, why are you people so concerned with this reporters story? He asked for an interview with her. He shows up and she has an entourage there apparantly. So she told him a whole lot of personal stuff about her ex-husband that had nothing to do with the story. I think I know why she brought THAT up.
She is living with a man who was not her husband with her children while she was still married. One poster says he helped with the kids, everybody helped her the neighbors, friends, parents etc. Then when it is convenient DT and you all say she got no help from anyone!

Well you can't have it both ways.

And, um the story of SP being asked to stay till DT got home from work THAT day because they were going to buy Halloween treats is not believable. Nice try though.
I doubt LE bought it either. It's dumb!

ETA: I never thought we would ever know WHY SP was there. In a million years I would not have thought the best excuse she would come up with is Halloween shopping. That's something you meet for later. Not that you require someone to hang tight for!!

Some one awhile back put up some ones photo bucket of pictures they had up of Somer.Does any one have the link to that?

who has any ideas as to
1. Why they brought in digging equipment to Gano and dug with it? One would think that using a shovel would be more conducive to retaining evidence. So why digging equipment?
2. Where did they lose Somer's scent and how could it be lost when it is claimed that even being taken by car , a scent still could be followed?

Hmmm...the digging equipment always surprised me, I agree about the shovel. Wasn't the piece of equipment either brought in at night or used at night? I don't recall. Could they have received a tip? Was it suppose to help in regards to the dumpster in some way?

The dog thing agghhh...seems too mixed up for me to even try...sorry I don't have a clue, I'll have to wimp out here.

Why is everything strange in this case???

BBM. Please take everything I state as opinion and rumor, and not in any way fact.

There was the 17 yr old girl who said she babysat for a month. Rumor on message boards that she quit, I've heard locally someone say she was fired. I have no clue which one is true.

SP was there, but just the day Somer disappeared.

RUMOR only- I've heard locally that her parents helped watch the kids alot afterschool and when DT had class. Again, no clue if this is true. I've heard alot of rumors locally, and most contradict each other, just as news reports do. :banghead:

Now, for my opinion. The kids probably didn't have a regular babysitter. I think there was someone there at least part of the time, whether neighbors, friends, or family. There were probably also times they came home to no one. Though I know I'm in the minority here, I don't see a huge problem with this, and think DT was probably doing the best she could at the time and I don't judge her for this.

On this note, the article on the neglect investigation stated the school was "trying" to get DT free or reduced child care. Big difference between trying and actually making it available to her. Was it ever actually available?

Re: availability of child care. One would assume it was available if it was stated that after school care on campus was at a free or reduced rate, which is specific information. Another poster sleuthed the YWCA and their information is out there on their web page.

I understand there are a lot of latch key kids in the world or this would not have been a topic of debate for a lot of years since moms have gone to work.
My concern is these particular children, the age of AT and her burden of responsibility, particularly when it's known that Somer was always running off and people having to look around for her. Its a lot to put on a 10 year old. Also I am concerned if the house was left open, prob. she had a key. But DT stated on an interview that the neighborhood was so safe she would fall asleep with the garage door open and things in the garage (meaning they could have been taken, etc.)

I totally get that people are stunned this could happen in this community, that DT worked, etc. It seems, though, that there were some concerns and in spite of those - and the fact that a year past this investigation Somer was still running loose - Dt might have done better having at least Somer supervised, since leaving it to AT was a handful, IMO. In other words, if a babysitter quit (or was fired - and posters here have said she might have made that all up) because she was frustrated with Somer and the neighbor call-down list, well...imagine the frustration of little AT. Ten years old is still a little girl.

As for the other arrangements...do you leave them up to chance and at the last minute? Or were there real arrangements? Trust it will all fall into place? Do you have plan A,B, and C with the 10 year old being "C", and is everyone aware of these plans....even a perp?

Contractory news reports for sure. So I read the whole news report, watch video, if any, and then read the comments made by others. I take the whole picture into consideration and then try to match it up to the scenario of October 19. Something led up to that tragedy. In spite of news and comments, some facts are facts. She was off alone, and she is dead. Those two facts are supportable.
Although the DCF report has been repeatedly called "unfounded", it remains one documented report, whereas we have a long history of a little girl who was left unsupervised for long periods of time.

I will dig up the investigative protocol for child homicide again, but it's reasonable to assume that LE has looked into everything in the family, retrieved all records and etc.
Because they always look first at the parent(s), significant others, persons known to the victim, friends, friends of friends, etc. FIRST, and in this case, RSO's and suspected SO's since it was a child homicide. I can safely assume, based on the mother's high profile here, that just about everything she has said or done or left undone has been scrutinized and put in a file. KNOWING THAT TO BE TRUE: She has not been given autopsy results (there is no precedent for a parent not being allowed these results that I know of) and further was strongly discouraged from gaining closure by being allowed to view any part of her daughter's body before she was buried. She has not been ruled out as a suspect. These are facts.

From child abduction statistics:

Elementary and Middle School Children (6 to 14 years)

If you scroll even FURTHER down, there is an excellent article on DNA analysis. GOOD LUCK.

Child abduction patterns change dramatically when children reach school age. Victimization rates almost triple and, while the sex of a victim generally is not a critical factor in offense patterns involving younger children, school-age females are at least 3 times more likely to be abducted and murdered than school-age males. These trends appear to be related directly to an offense motive. In school-age children, sex represents the overwhelming reason for abductions. Offenders usually are male and select female victims.

The relationship between offenders and victims also changes dramatically for school-age children with most cases perpetrated by acquaintances or strangers. This trend becomes more evident in older school-age children where stranger abductions predominate. Again, changes in victim access, physical maturity, and vulnerability appear to be primarily responsible. When children reach school age, they often acquire more independence and mobility. They become exposed to new environments and situations, often without the guidance and supervision of their parents or primary caregivers. In these situations, they become more accessible to nonfamily offenders who find them physically mature enough to be sexually desirable and vulnerable enough to be easily controlled and exploited. Thus, while younger children are victimized more often by family members and acquaintances in protected circumstances, acquaintances or strangers seeking sexual gratification typically abduct older, more physically mature children outside of the home.

Strangers are responsible for about one-half of elementary school elementary school: see school. abductions, and acquaintances, such as neighbors, family friends, and adult associates are responsible for the rest. For middle school children, however, strangers are the most frequent offenders. The offenders in these cases often have a history of previous sexual misconduct, impulsive behaviors impulsive behavior, in action initiated without due consideration or thought as to the costs, results, or consequences. , violence, substance abuse, and psychiatric treatment. They usually display poor social skills and work habits, and frequently are deemed "socially incompetent." [18] Their inability to interact effectively with others may cause them to obtain victims by abduction. These individuals often reside, work in, or frequent the area where they commit their crimes, which gives them a legitimate explanation for their presence.

Most abductions of elementary school children occur in or around the victim's home, with the vast majority of the victims abducted within 1 mile of their residence. As they age, however, school-age children frequently are abducted from more distant locations such as playgrounds, shopping malls, and other areas of recreation. Disposal sites of the remains also become more distant as victim age increases. In cases where offenders kill the victims, the remains of younger school-age children generally are recovered within 1 mile of the abduction site, although some offenders dispose of their victims over 10 miles away (one-half of these victims are found more than 30 miles away). A larger number of older school-age children are recovered from distant sites. As found in other age groups, these offenders often are familiar with the disposal sites they select and typically make little attempt to hide the victim's remains. These offenders leave most remains unconcealed or superficially cover them with available mate rials--few bury their victims or conceal them in packaging materials.

Compared to the abduction of younger children, emotion-based offenses are much less common in school-age children. As found in emotion-based cases involving younger children, the sex of the victim does not appear to be a critical risk factor. Primarily, offenders are male and familiar with their victims. Victimization occurs typically in the victim's home or front yard. Similar to cases with preschoolers, profit-based offenses are extremely rare among school-age children.

Makes one think about the wisdom of letting 10 year old and younger children walk unsupervised for a whole mile.

FBI PROTOCOL for child abduction is very thorough. FBI was/is involved in this case. Scroll down to parental interview and you will see just how thoroughly they investigate:http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2000/nov00leb.pdf

Everyone in the community knows this happened. What point would constant reminders by LE serve, except to remind the community that LE has yet to solve this and there is a child killer on the loose? If I was LE, I would not want to keep reminding people they have yet to solve it. Especially if you know you are no closer to finding the stranger who did (my opinion, of course), why would you want to create panic and fear in the community?

Panic and fear are not the goals. People who, after a period of time, become complacent, increase the risk that a perpetrator will remain undetected, as we know from serial killers like Ted Bundy, etc. This does not infer that responsibility should be taken off of community or of parents to be extra-vigilant and whenever possible to monitor their children themselves until the person who did this to Somer is caught and incarcerated.

Every state is different with resources, but with her stated income of $14.00 an hour, she fits low income definitions federally.

There is daycare help for low-income where I live. Don't know anything about Florida.

Let's be realistic here. Fourteen dollars an hour is not rich, but I work with c.n.a.'s who make much less than that and do not have live-in males to assist them. Their children are in day care. Either that, or they choose to work the later shifts and have family help out. One of them lives in low-income housing by herself with her son and struggles to pay her phone bill. But her son is in day care. Anyone who claims they are a single mother applying for public assistance knowing that she lives with a male who contributes to (other) financial situations is a liar. Anyone.

Further, her domicile is paid for. That means the $14.00 per hour would cover groceries, utilities, cable, entertainment, etc.

Fnally, the after school care was offered as free or reduced. She would have to take a personal risk in asking for free care under the circumstances. An honest assessement of her true financial situation would certainly make her ineligible for free anything.

Cam,
When I saw this pic with the camper parked beside that fence between the 2 houses, I had an eerie thought. Just going to throw it out there - thinking out loud here - what IF somer left the gano house and went between that camper and the fence to cut through that back yard and cross Grove Park behind the crossing guard who told your son somer never made it that far....and....some teenagers were hanging out in that camper. Say somer heard voices in there and knocked on the door looking for someone else to talk to. One of the teenagers let her in. Say there was something going on with those teens in that camper that somer was not suppose to see. They grab her and pull her in and....? It was just an eerie thought. KWIM? Gives me chills. Do I remember you or someone saying that camper had a "for sale" sign on it later?

Eerie is not (my) the word. The thought of the number of possibilities and opportunities and places this wandering child could have been abducted and how she could have been tortured, murdered is chilling. I gag whenever I think about it. I can write about it, but to speak about it to anyone, I would have to be mute. I would freak out.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...enathompson11-12-09.jpg&jwidget_action=search

tell me if this works.

it look's like this page was done by cranky crankerson

Personally - and this may sound strange - looking at pictures of this little girl only makes me think of how she is now dead...how she must have looked in that casket...how she is under the ground...it would kill me. Celebrating a life that was ended so horribly - in an unknown way - seems superfulous. To keep looking at her only intensifies my rage that she did not have the chance to grow into a beautiful woman - her choices were murdered along with her.

In case anyone is wondering if LE has thoroughly checked into every aspect of Somer's home and her parent(s), etc., you might want to read this government investigative check list, beginning at page 3:

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/161406.pdf

ON THE JOB. LE. FBI. WS. EDITORS OF NEWSPAPERS AND THEIR REPORTERS. ETC.

Waiting for clearance from LE on people who are not suspects/POI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demee