FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

Specific law:

§ 3182. Fugitives from State or Territory to State, District, or Territory

Whenever the executive authority of any State or Territory demands any person as a fugitive from justice, of the executive authority of any State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled, and produces a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, charging the person demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the State or Territory from whence the person so charged has fled, the executive authority of the State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled shall cause him to be arrested and secured, and notify the executive authority making such demand, or the agent of such authority appointed to receive the fugitive, and shall cause the fugitive to be delivered to such agent when he shall appear. If no such agent appears within thirty days from the time of the arrest, the prisoner may be discharged.

Bolded by me...Maybe this why..

"Sheriff Billie Sollie of Lauderdale County, Miss., told Channel 4 that Harrell declined to sign a waiver that would allow him to be turned over to Clay County authorities. Harrell will remain in the Lauderdale County Jail until Florida Gov. Charlie Crist signs an order of extradition, which could take weeks or even months."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22569680/detail.html

Does anyone know if it would make a difference that when he went to Meridian he had no warrant or charges upon him? That he wasn't fleeing from justice to avoid prosecution then?

It doesn't matter.
Florida has charges they want him to face.
They are willing to pay the other state's costs to bring him back.
The rest is just paperwork and delay tactics.

He isn't being charged with fleeing from justice. He is being transferred from state to state under the fugitive from justice statutes.

Bolded by me...Maybe this why..

"Sheriff Billie Sollie of Lauderdale County, Miss., told Channel 4 that Harrell declined to sign a waiver that would allow him to be turned over to Clay County authorities. Harrell will remain in the Lauderdale County Jail until Florida Gov. Charlie Crist signs an order of extradition, which could take weeks or even months."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22569680/detail.html

I'm not sure how they can say it would take months. Wouldn't the clock have started ticking when he was arrested?

I agree. If you pause the video at 1:30 you can get a good look at the hair line. It looks very similar, as does the texture.

I just went through this thread and it's not there... but I could swear I saw a post where someone had a screenshot of the man in the video and the mugshot of JH. Maybe it was on thread #37.

The way the governor put his face all up on the news reports when Somer was found in the landfill, I would think he'll be signing that document right away.

Several locals have told us on this board how much he loves the spotlight.
If he does not sign soon, he will be getting a lot of bad press IMO. From what I hear about him, he does not want that.

JMO

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4807134&postcount=891"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL- Somer Renee Thompson, Orange Park, Thread #37[/ame]

I found this. The one circled in the larger photo isn't the one you're talking about (I think) but the one in the tan jacket/blue shirt is on the left. I think he looks more like JH than the one who was circled.

I'm not sure how they can say it would take months. Wouldn't the clock have started ticking when he was arrested?

If someone really digs in and fights it it can take 2-3 months to force it through the court system. He says he won't agree to go willingly, the State of Florida goes to the next level and gets an order, suspect files an appeal to the judge in the state he is in, that burns some time, the judge may or may not give him another 30 days to make his arguement.

Unless you can prove that this is mistaken identity or that your rights are being violated there really is no winning, so most just go willingly.

If someone really digs in and fights it it can take 2-3 months to force it through the court system. He says he won't agree to go willingly, the State of Florida goes to the next level and gets an order, suspect files an appeal to the judge in the state he is in, that burns some time, the judge may or may not give him another 30 days to make his arguement.

Unless you can prove that this is mistaken identity or that your rights are being violated there really is no winning, so most just go willingly.

Ok, thanks. I read the law to mean they have 30 days to get him back to FL.

I heard back from my lawyer friend. I told him my take on 'fighting extradition' (refusing to sign a waiver) is simply forcing the state to prove I'm the one they're after, and that there are legitimate charges against me. IOW, it's my Constitutional and legal right.

His response:

Your understanding is totally correct. A waiver of extradition only addresses the issue of identity and validity of charges - not guilt or innocence. If the defendant is not the right guy, he should not waive extradition. Even if he is, he still has a right to "fight extradition" and force them to prove he is the right guy. Such a tactic may or may not be a delaying tactic, but it is certainly not an admission of guilt and cannot ever be commented upon to the jury in the event the guy ultimately ends up in trial.

I hope that clears it up a little :)

Found an interesting comment under this news link.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=152031&catid=3

User Image
SHELLBLUE60 wrote:
I live right down the street from this house, and from what I found out, was that he was living in a SHED behind the house-with A/C, a bed,fridge,etc. The shed disapeared after Somer was killed.But, WHY THE HE** didnt the neighbors alert the police if this was acting weird to begin with? I hope this is the dude,because none of us in this neighborhood has felt safe since then.

If it is true that he actually lived in the shed it makes it all the more strange to me that the shed was moved. Are sheds normally something that people take with them?

If it is true that he actually lived in the shed it makes it all the more strange to me that the shed was moved. Are sheds normally something that people take with them?

I have known people to move their sheds and then I have known others not too. I would think it would depend on if you thought it would be worth the trouble.

That does not surprise me at all if he was living in the shed.

I think Somer hid from her siblings and friends by those tanks then went down the street after they were gone. I wonder if the dog was tied up back behind the shed and between it and the house and she just walked back there to pet it.

I think Somer hid from her siblings and friends by those tanks then went down the street after they were gone. I wonder if the dog was tied up back behind the shed and between it and the house and she just walked back there to pet it.

So painful to read your comment! Something about beautiful, sweet, innocent Somer going to pet a dog and it lands her in the hands of a monster - it's right out of a terror tale. We all know how much she loved animals - the innocence of it all is so frightening. :eek: mho

It's a good-sized shed. He could live in there... but why? Why not the house?
And why did his parents move it?
So he couldn't live there? Because they suspected it was he who killed Somer?

People along the path of Jarred's life knew he was a perv. Richard Wharton (in Meridian Star) said he found Jarred's child *advertiser censored* 8 YEARS ago, and just put it back.
No confrontation. Why not?

One of the articles said that if the case had been rightfully prioritized, that the computer analysis would've been done in a week.

I think the problem would be that allthough the images were on his computer, the computer wasn't in his possesion. So they would have to gather evidence that he had placed the images there and not some other person after he lost possesion of the computer.

BBM

Not to mention all the tax payers money he will burn by doing this.

Well, if he put the photos on there or not, at least there will be witness statements that say he's been into that smut for years IMO.

I forget, was it the stepdad that is already talking about what he found years ago? If he's talking to the media about it, theres no reason to think he would not testify about it. IMO

Here's the shed behind the rented mobile home in Callahan-
callahan4.jpg

Here's the shed at 1152 Gano-
shedongano-1.jpg

Closer-
shedatGANO.jpg

You can see the AC unit in both locations.

So.................. WHY did they need AC in the shed. Is that where freakboy was living before they sent him on to Meridian to live with unsuspecting Aunt Kriss Mizelle?

The way the governor put his face all up on the news reports when Somer was found in the landfill, I would think he'll be signing that document right away.

Several locals have told us on this board how much he loves the spotlight.
If he does not sign soon, he will be getting a lot of bad press IMO. From what I hear about him, he does not want that.

JMO

He's running for U.S. Senate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads