FL FL - Sumter Co, 'Little Miss Panasoffkee', WhtFem 17-24, 470UFFL, Feb'71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since the Isotope testing was completed and we've a history of proper upscale dental care and right ankle orthopedic surgery done using advanced techniques of the time, there's a number of possibilities.
The sheriff, BEFORE isotope testing, had believed she was part native American. and he HAD seen the body. The sketch artists drew what the photographs showed without the decomposition.
She was a white female.
I believe a good candidate for comparison is Mary Margaret Cook Namus MP1670
She was about the same height, age, weight, etc. Plus she was of biracial Ancestry (native American and white).
They actually resemble one another in the earlier sketches that WEREN'T tainted by the belief she was GREEK. Maybe she was. I'm going to present BOTH possibilities.
Below is Mary Margaret Cook compared to the early composite (I added glasses to that composite btw)
Pardon the very bad quality of both pics. If anyone can find better ones of Mary Margaret Cook please post them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-225528_Gallery-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220804-225528_Gallery-01.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 12
Since the Isotope testing was completed and we've a history of proper upscale dental care and right ankle orthopedic surgery done using advanced techniques of the time, there's a number of possibilities.
The sheriff, BEFORE isotope testing, had believed she was part native American. and he HAD seen the body. The sketch artists drew what the photographs showed without the decomposition.
She was a white female.
She was about the same height, age, weight, etc. Plus she was of biracial Ancestry (native American and white).
They actually resemble one another in the earlier sketches that WEREN'T tainted by the belief she was GREEK. Maybe she was. I'm going to present BOTH possibilities.
Below is Mary Margaret Cook compared to the early composite (I added glasses to that composite btw)
Pardon the very bad quality of both pics. If anyone can find better ones of Mary Margaret Cook please post them
Thanks for submitting her!

I have posted galore about all of the things that just seem to keep adding up for her to be Mary Margaret Cook.

If she is not her, then it is extremely crazy coincidental details that are so incredibly similar.

I think Mary would be a good candidate except for the dentals. Mary's information says that she never received and needed dental care, whereas Little Miss had extensive dental work. But it doesn't hurt to check just in case
OTHER FACTORS that make me believe Mary Margaret Cook could be the Lake Panasoffkee Jane Doe:
Mary's mother was asked about her daughter's disappearance and she told law enforcement that she was planning on making a GREEN outfit out of material. The Lake Penafosokee Jane Doe was found wearing ALL GREEN.
The other factor is the following quote from the Namus listing: "Cook was a stay-at-home mom, her husband worked and stayed hours away in Palm Beach County. The weekend of her disappearance she had backed out of a camping trip with her parents and siblings saying that her husband, "Earl" had called to say he was coming home. Her husband returned, their oldest son recalls arguing and his father's stern orders "not to look outside." The son believes that Margaret's body may have been wrapped in a red blanket which Earl retrieved from the house. Earl reported Margaret missing during the wee hours of the next morning. Her car and purse were found in a local department store parking lot. However, no eyewitnesses could place her or her car at the scene during business hours.Margaret has not been seen or heard from since. It is likely that she would have been concealed within hours distance of the home." (Citing Namus listing for Mary Cook)
That means no witnesses placed Mary where the car was found.
Now about the car, which was a 1959 Cadillac. A 1959 Cadillac is a very, very, very, HUGE vehicle. It's the same car in the movie "Mannequin" I believe that details about her height were LIED about. She was "REPORTEDLY" only 4'11" inches tall. So I would like to compare that ALLEGED factor to photos of how the car was FOUND. Was the seat pulled up ALL the way? Was there a wedge or pillow found in the seat under the bottom and back? Or was the measurements of the BACK OF THE SEAT to the GAS PEDAL the measurement of a 4'11" person or the height of her husband? I'd wager it wasn't the inseam and leg-length of a female that was "allegedly" 4 ft 11" in height. Did they process the trunk of the Cadillac for fibers from the rug? For blood? Were Marie's glasses found in her purse? I HIGHLY doubt anything was processed, and why wasn't it?
Did they substantiate her height with her Medical records? Mary Margaret Cook had 2 children (sons). Lake Penafosokee Jane Doe was analyzed during her autopsy to have had 2 children ALSO.
The fact that the Lake Panasoffkee Jane Doe DIDN'T have any shoes on, yet had right-ankle orthopedic surgery is telling. She might have had special orthopedic shoes made by a company that was easily traceable. Did they EVER ask Mary Margaret Cook's siblings or cousins did she EVER have surgery on her ankle?
Another factor is the belt around the neck. It's a VERY VERY big piece of evidence. What brand was it? It was listed as being a men's size 36 belt. Per the internet conversion table a size 36 belt would fit a waist the size of 32.5" to 34 inches. What size pants did Mary Margaret Cook's husband wear?
Where was that belt sold? What brand was it? What buckle was on it? Was it analyzed? Obviously she could've been beaten with or as well as choked. Was it a fight about finances after the female showed off her new GREEN outfit?
Another factor that may seem ironic in the Mary Margaret Cook case is the fact that a female on her block went missing in 1965.
Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden
She lived on the SAME block and went missing from the Chatterbox bar/ lounge in Lakeland, FL Eaton Park area after getting help after the bar closed from a male that was helping her with her 1959 Chevrolet.
She was newly divided and left 2 children behind which was uncharacteristic of her.
She was never seen again after that night.
I wonder about those similarities those are red flags. 2 separate women that live on the SAME street disappear. Both are brown haired and have children.
Obviously they could've very well have omen each other. Children could've played together on the same street. Went to the same school.
Both females drive a 1959 General motors vehicle .
Mary Margaret Cook had a husband named Earl Leathern Cook who was questioned in the disappearance of Mary Margaret Cook by the Polk County Sheriff's office in 2008. The Sheriff Grady Judd believes he knows what happened to his wife. I believe he's correct.
Here's the article:
They pulled up the concrete at the Cook home, found nothing. I believe they're looking in the WRONG place. They need to pull the case of Lake Panasoffkee Jane Doe from Graham County Sheriff's Office. Compare the autopsy to Mary Margaret Cook's medical records and her biological family's accounts.
I believe this wasn't the first time her husband could've dumped a body. I also wonder if he went to Lake Panasoffkee with the body in the trunk of that Cadillac, stopped and threw it over at night, went don't they check the same area for a Skeletonized remains of Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden? Or the nearest lake to the Chatterbox bar. He could very well have driven that 1959 Chevy into a lake in Lakeland to hide the body.
The husband had access, opportunity and a possible motive for both. Time to break out the sonar and search Lakeland's lakes and analyze that belt.
Plus, I believe that her height was misreported, look at the photos of that 1959 Cadillac seat and how far back it is from the steering wheel. How could a woman, 4 ft 11 in tall drive that HUGE car without a pillow behind her back or under her legs without the seat adjusted to the closest position??
Check Mary Margaret Cook's medical for right ankle surgery. There were surgeons in Lakeland that used this method of surgery I'm sure. Each surgeon has their own signature way of performing a surgery, I'm sure surviving surgeons know each others work.
This case isn't over. I'm sure it'll be resolved.

Last edited:
She was a white female.
BBM

Mary Margaret Cook MP - Newspapers.com

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 16.03.44.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-112603_Gallery-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220805-112603_Gallery-02.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220805-112519_Gallery-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220805-112519_Gallery-02.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
@Detailz were you able to pose these questions to DoeNetwork as part of the submission, since their panel considers the physical evidence but also circumstantial in deciding whether to contact LE/ME about a match

@Detailz were you able to pose these questions to DoeNetwork as part of the submission, since their panel considers the physical evidence but also circumstantial in deciding whether to contact LE/ME about a match
I didn't contact law enforcement at the Polk County Sheriff's Department that's over Mary Margaret Cook's case.
Feel free to submit this to their department if you'd like. They're a very, very thorough law enforcement agency. I'm sure they'd communicate with Graham County Sheriff's Office and exchange info. It's worth it to rule out Mary Margaret Cook .

I didn't contact law enforcement at the Polk County Sheriff's Department that's over Mary Margaret Cook's case.
Feel free to submit this to their department if you'd like. They're a very, very thorough law enforcement agency. I'm sure they'd communicate with Graham County Sheriff's Office and exchange info. It's worth it to rule out Mary Margaret Cook .

Oh I never contact LE as I find them incredibly dismissive of our efforts 9 times out of 10. I submit online with DoeNetwork and they always respond with such nice polite messaging.

Now let's compare this to Carl K's composite of Little Miss Panasoffkee.
Since Mary Margaret Cook wore glasses let's then add glasses to Little Miss Panasoffkee's composite. And oh my God.
Test the DNA thru OTHRAM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-112603_Gallery-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220805-112603_Gallery-02.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220805-112519_Gallery-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220805-112519_Gallery-02.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2
I think Mary would be a good candidate except for the dentals. Mary's information says that she never received and needed dental care, whereas Little Miss had extensive dental work. But it doesn't hurt to check just in case
For the law enforcement in that day to believe second-hand accounts of dental history with ZERO evidence back then is ludicrous. It's HEARSAY. A woman that owned a Cadillac and had 2 kids isn't going to ever have a cavity in her life and never see a dentist is kind of ridiculous for them to believe.
But the 1960s and 1970s were an Era when people trusted one another more. Husbands
didn't go do the "Chris Watts" on their wives as regular as today. Intentional Disruptions in timelines weren't considered. Misreporting heights, weights, hair/eye color, clothing, and dentals weren't checked as thoroughly.
I think the vast majority of those on databases are one that fall into those categories.
A killer isn't going to kill someone then drive to the police station and give facial info. A killer is going to lie. They'll wait, then lie again.
DNA doesn't lie. Science doesn't lie.
Criminals lie.
But later we read they're busted at 76 years old on death row.
You gotta love science .
I agree with you, she's a great candidate for a match .

Most, if not all, of the initial information in the file on Mary Margaret Cook's disappearance came from her husband Earl ( now deceased).

I seem to recall that it was stated (probably by Earl) that she had perfect teeth - NOT that she had never had dental work done. In fact, after all the dental work done on LMP one might say she had very good teeth.

Both Mary Margaret Cook and Peggy Wynell Byars Baisden have long threads here on Websleuths in the Missing But Not Forgotten section.

But the 1960s and 1970s were an Era when people trusted one another more. Husbands
didn't go do the "Chris Watts" on their wives as regular as today

I'm not so sure about that. I think child abuse and domestic violence were both rampant in the 1960's and 1970's. I also think generally LE did less investigating back then. JMO.

They should get dental charts to confirm, but some of us are just fortunate and have good teeth genetically. I've gone to dentists, but have never had any actual dental work done because my teeth are just naturally in very good condition. I've never had a single cavity, I've never had my wisdom teeth pulled, no root canals, braces, etc. I brush & floss my teeth, but I don't do anything besides that for dental hygiene. My poor father, on the other hand, takes great (borderline obsessive) care of his teeth, and always has, but just got unlucky and had really bad teeth genetics leading to him having to spend a fortune on extensive dental work. Some of us just don't really have a need for dental work.

Point being, I don't think it's out of the ordinary that a woman, even one of means, in the 70s wouldn't be getting dental work done if there was no need to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back