FL - Tasered by cop while handcuffed, woman strikes head on pavement; now brain dead

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is effective policing only in a police state.

My father has been LE for 17 years and has had 2 very serious shoulder injuries from wrestling with cuffed suspects. Injuries that have caused months of time off and physical therapy. Just because she was cuffed does not mean she could not have caused him harm. I fully support LE's actions on this case. MOO

Thank your father for me for his service in the line of duty. Being in LE can sometimes be such a difficult job because of the constant risk, the heartbreaking things they see, the criminal element that they deal with and the victims that they see. A cop can lose everything they have worked for just by the false accusations of a career criminal.

The cop in question here in the above incident had 10 years of service, had only fired his tazer once before and was only doing what he thought was the best choice in the split second that he had to react and he is being painted as fat, stupid, lazy cruel, etc. This is the thanks he gets for years of service??

Meanwhile the tazed girl had many years of criminal activities, drug use, resisting arrest obstructing justice, numerous hit and runs with a stolen vehicle and people are taking her side against a man who has given his career to protect the public.

It is only by the grace of God that she hadn't killed someone in one of her THREE hit and run incidents. She obviously wasn't going to stop until she killed someone or died as a result of her repeated poor choices.

But back to the plight of the cop. I feel for him. He didnt mean to harm her, he was doing his job. Yes, she was smaller than him which is why he didn't get in a physical altercation with her. He didnt want her running in the traffic and killing someone or herself. He did the best he could do and I am saddened to hear so many people attacking him.

Why on earth would anyone want to be a cop nowadays anyway? It is largely a thankless and dangerous job with people who will blame you no matter what you do. Sad but true.

Thank your father for me for his service in the line of duty. Being in LE can sometimes be such a difficult job because of the constant risk, the heartbreaking things they see, the criminal element that they deal with and the victims that they see. A cop can lose everything they have worked for just by the false accusations of a career criminal.

The cop in question here in the above incident had 10 years of service, had only fired his tazer once before and was only doing what he thought was the best choice in the split second that he had to react and he is being painted as fat, stupid, lazy cruel, etc. This is the thanks he gets for years of service??

Meanwhile the tazed girl had many years of criminal activities, drug use, resisting arrest obstructing justice, numerous hit and runs with a stolen vehicle and people are taking her side against a man who has given his career to protect the public.

It is only by the grace of God that she hadn't killed someone in one of her THREE hit and run incidents. She obviously wasn't going to stop until she killed someone or died as a result of her repeated poor choices.

But back to the plight of the cop. I feel for him. He didnt mean to harm her, he was doing his job. Yes, she was smaller than him which is why he didn't get in a physical altercation with her. He didnt want her running in the traffic and killing someone or herself. He did the best he could do and I am saddened to hear so many people attacking him.

Why on earth would anyone want to be a cop nowadays anyway? It is largely a thankless and dangerous job with people who will blame you no matter what you do. Sad but true.

I have the utmost respect for LE.
But, mistakes are sometimes made due to the fact that they are human.

I think it was excessive.

That does not mean I don't respect LE or that I am not thankful for their service.

I've taught a good many young people who went into LE, and worry about them still, and pray for their safety daily.

I greatly appreciate our law enforcement, but it is not a sacrosanct entity, above criticism, particularly when a preventable event of this magnitude takes place.

There is an interview with Danielle's mom on the CNN website - an interview with JVM. (Sorry I can't post the video - I'm using a new IPAD and don't know how to copy & paste yet!)

What sort of policing genius was in play that made it possible a person under arrest even could walk out of the door?
I want to see that video for the whole picture.

I am very sorry about your father's shoulder injuries. But I am even more sorry about a woman who is lying brain dead in a coma. If it was a choice between a police officer with shoulder injuries, and a brain dead woman, I know which I would choose.

Wonder what would have been said had the LEO let her run into traffic and she went splat under a truck?

I respect everyone her at WS so i hate to see anyone here fighting (for lack of a better word) with each other. Usually we are united against an injustice where it is clear who the victim is and who is the guilty party.

I don't want to get into a debate with anyone over our differing opinions. I agree to disagree and respect your opinions and hope that no one feels the need to attack me for mine. So this is my opinion which you are free to disagree with.

I don't like police brutality at all but I just don't see that the officer is at fault here. He had no intent to injure her or cause her harm. He was doing his job to the best of his ability. She had no problem hurting others and going on her merry way to the next victim.

The cop didnt have the luxury of taking time to consider this and that before reacting. She clearly intended to flee and continue her disregard for laws and authority and he had to react the best way he knew how to minimize the danger. She could have run out in front of a car and killed herself or caused a wreck that killed innocent people. She had ZERO regard for the lives of others.

She had a history of resisting authority so he was not dealing with a cooperative person and he knew it. She didnt consider anyone but herself when she repeatedly got into accidents and was lucky she hadn't killed anyone yet.

The cop was dealing with a suspect who had an extensive record including NO drivers license, had been in TWO different hit an runs earlier that day, had a prior record including car theft and getting in an accident while driving that car a few months earlier and "two charges of resisting or obstructing police and one charge of battering a detention staff member". On the day she was tazed she had cocaine and oxycontin in her system.

So she had a history of evading arrest and resisting authority. She had a history of causing accidents and fleeing. She obviously had no respect for the law or other people's lives. She was bound to kill someone sooner or later because it is obvious she wasn't going to stop driving. She was clearly a danger to the public and had no intention of changing her ways. It could only escalate.

I'm sorry she was so injured and is most likely brain dead but these are the unfortunate result of her repeatedly bad choices.

Had she not stolen the car, she wouldn't be in this situation.
Had she not fled the scene of the 1st accident she wouldn't be in this situation.
Had she not fled the scene of the 2nd accident, she wouldn't be in this situation.
Had she not tried to escape while in handcuff, this would not have happened.

To me it is clear that she holds a great deal of responsibility what happened. It seemed she was intent on continuing her ways of law breaking and driving and wrecking until she killed someone or was stopped.

I'm sorry her life was destroyed but she had been on the course of self destruction long before the cop used the tazer. I consider it a blessing that she didnt kill or maim any innocent people in the process. Some one was bound to get hurt had she been allowed to continue. She caused the events that caused her devastating injuries and no one else is to blame.

This is my opinion only and I fully respect your right to see things differently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-brain-dead-Tasered-trying-escape-police.html

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...oman-arrested-by-fhp-wound-up-in-coma/1194417

Why didn't they have her inside and cuffed to a bench or wall cuff?
If she got out of hand being handcuffed, they could have hog tied her.
They had a lot of options besides the taser. IMO ~~ just a few thoughts

Why didn't they have her inside and cuffed to a bench or wall cuff?
If she got out of hand being handcuffed, they could have hog tied her.
They had a lot of options besides the taser. IMO ~~ just a few thoughts

She had options as well,

1. Not commit multiple crimes which caused her to be arrested (stolen car, and then two hit and run accidents withing 1/2 hour).
2. Comply with the arrest process
3. Not attempt to flee
4. Obey LE when told to stop

This is a freek ending to a spur of the moment situation that was created by a fleeing criminal.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...oman-arrested-by-fhp-wound-up-in-coma/1194417

"Maudsley's arrest record includes two charges of resisting or obstructing police and one charge of battering a detention staff member — all when she was a juvenile."

It appears that she has a history of resisting arrest and authority. But also appears to have not learned from her past behavior and repeated it - to horrific results for her.

Her Mom, based upon her arrest record, doesn't appear to be in contention to win any law abiding citizen of the year awards either. But Mom is now suing FHP - of course.

Yes, this is a very sad story. This girl was definately on the path to self-destruction and most likely would have wound up dead or in and out of prison. In a way she was already brain dead by the choices she made. Add poor parenting and no role models and you have a recipe for disaster.

This is the FULL video that shows everything.

[video=youtube;ZrDox4wYBlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrDox4wYBlQ&feature=related[/video]

Tragic pictures, truly tragic. However I still stand behind LE, moral of the story for me is don't run from LE. MOO

Sounds like to me that she's more beneficial to society in a vegetative state. A cop should not have to chase you, no matter the crime. I personally think the taser is too mild. You go running and the cop should go gunning. Less people would run. There is absolutely no excuse for running.

I refuse to feel sorry for criminals..misdemeanor or not. I have never been mistreated by a police officer or wrongfully accused of any crime. Why? Because I stay out of trouble and stay far away from any trash who gets in trouble as well. It's really not that hard.

The "full' video appears to me to be nothing more than a propaganda piece produced by her attorney that is short on facts about who this woman is, and what she chose to do that day.

"When she left the station" She ran from a LE officer while in custody, something she had done in the past.
"Two minor traffic violations" She stole a car, in which she then caused two accidents and fled the scene at both.

It is amazing to watch her attorney spew his spin on this situation and avoid mentioning the true facts, while insinuating she did nothing wrong - with a straight face no less. Take notice that they added on a TV news cast logo to the begining of it to make it appear as if it was a news produced piece, and not something they created.

I don't think a weapon should be used on anyone that is handcuffed. There is no reason why anyone who is handcuffed should be tasered. I'm not saying what this woman did was right, but really? Tasered? Yes, she could have just as easily fell running away (drunk and high) and people would find something wrong with how the cops handled it. My only problem is tasering someone who is handcuffed. No reason for it at all.

I don't think a weapon should be used on anyone that is handcuffed. There is no reason why anyone who is handcuffed should be tasered. I'm not saying what this woman did was right, but really? Tasered? Yes, she could have just as easily fell running away (drunk and high) and people would find something wrong with how the cops handled it. My only problem is tasering someone who is handcuffed. No reason for it at all.

She wasn't handcuffed. She had slipped out of her handcuffs before she ran...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whether or not you have on handcuffs wouldn't make much difference, from what I understand, if you are tasered. At that point you lose control of your body and pretty much just fall down - I think.

This video looks bad, but I don't know enough about police work to judge. On one hand, there are bad cops, but OTOH police can be in situations like this where they have only a few seconds to make what could be a life or death decision. Does he not taser her and run the risk that she can get away (she's younger and faster and on drugs), or does he taser her and definitely keep her from getting out to the street but take the risk that she could be injured?

I have not read the entire thread, but I'll throw my opinion out there anyway.

It is tragic and terrible and heartbreaking that a 20 year old woman has essentially died. Wouldn't it be tragic if she run into traffic and been killed by a speeding vehicle? Wouldn't it have been tragic if she had died before her arrest due to extreme intoxication, or the adverse effects of alcohol mixed with pain meds? Wouldn't it have been tragic if she had fallen while headlong while running form the police while handcuffed and become brain dead?

Yes. But that's not what happened. She was under arrest, she had been transported for processing. She was caught and she was going to jail. She didn't want to go to jail, so she tried to run away, never mind the fact that this presented a huge risk to her own safety. No, she might not have been thinking clearly, but her own actions led to her lack of clear thinking.

The police officer tasered her. While she was running away from his custody, and endangering her own life. he made a choice, one choice, to try to counteract the potential side effects of the many, many bad choices she had made up until that point.

That's how I see it. It didn't work out like the officer planned, it didn't work out like the criminal planned. Sad all the way around, but life goes on. Don't want to get Tasered? Don't run from the cops.

That's my take on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuthchic
Back