FL - Toddler left home alone for 3 week's while Mother sits in jail.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did anyone else hear that the mother originally stated that she couldn't "remember" who she had left her daughter with?

Try as they might, I don't think they are going to be able to blame a neighbor or even the Dad.

I'm kinda mad at the social workers though. Why aren't they in deep trouble? It was in one article that this lady had been investigated previously, so that being the case, shouldn't that show up on her records when the police do a check on her? Or isn't there some way that the Social Services are notified of a parents' arrest if the children have been on file?

I know that Social workers in big cities have their hands full, but it looks like a simple "flag" system to red flag certain files of questionable home situations and check on them through police reports.

I don't understand this momma being innocent.

According to this article there were several reports to child protection services..
The father had also been charged with domestic violence. (charges were later dropped.)

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031002/APN/310020947

"There was no way the department could have foreseen this deliberate and unspeakable act of neglect," said Samara Kramer, chief of staff for DCF Secretary Jerry Regier.

According to the Herald's account, Dakeysha Lee was taken into state custody herself at about age 13 when she gave birth to her first child, a daughter. The girl was placed into foster care after DCF was told Lee hit her. She was never returned to her mother.

"There is concern the mother may hurt the baby," the report stated.

In February 2002, the hot line received a complaint that the little girl was not receiving proper supervision from her mother.

My, my...just finished reading all of the posts. I would like to make a few comments.

1. I would bet this was not the first time this baby has had to fend for herself. I am thinking that is what saved her life. Most babies would not know how to survive because their moms have taken care of them.
2. All babies are innocent. She is not old enough to be classified as a "brat."
3. Perhaps, her mother didn't tell anyone that she was going to jail because she didn't want the father to get custody. If the mother was on welfare, it probably was due to the fact that she had a child. She was thinking that she would lose all of those benefits if the child were taken away from her. (Follow the money trail, and you usually will find the reason behind the behavior.)
4. We don't know how this child will turn out, so let's not be so judgmental. Scott Peterson, who apparently had everything anyone could ever ask for, turned out to be a wife/child killer (IMO, of course).
5. Don't get me wrong. I am not a bleeding-heart liberal. I also believe that our taxes are too high. I believe that those who work hard to become successful are then penalized by the government taking about 40 percent of earnings to fund those who haven't worked as hard. But...
6. I have no problem with my tax dollars going to those who are trying to help themselves. I believe that the working poor should be the ones who get the benefits, not the lazy people that think having kids is their right and have no intention of contributing to society. Unfortunately, the working poor oftentimes do not qualify for any benefits because they "make too much money." Hence, those who have no intention of ever giving back to society, are rewarded and reap the benefits.
7. And I hope the Bill Clinton answer of "I don't recall" doesn't get this mother off of the hook. Who in his/her right mind wouldn't know who was taking care of his/her child? Of course, this woman's brain could be fried from drugs, which would take me back to my original thought that the baby has had to fend for herself at other times....
That's all folks!

Hi nanandjim!

Ahhh...such true words.

Toth, I' m shocked. Your pov on this case is so cynical.

This is a baby we're talking about here, an innocent. Not a brat.

Aussie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717
Back