FL - Tony Youmans, 12, Jacksonville, 29 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How horrible. Whenever things like this strike close to home, it's hard for me to imagine something that awful so close. Here's wishing his family some comfort.

seems like I read here recently that the dad wanted to see the area his son was found in, and that later the body was found some 4 feet from the roads edge, I am grasping at straws here, but I wonder if it is possible that he was struck by a speeding car and he was tossed off the shoulder of the road and hit the ground and rolled into the edge of the wooded area? or is there other info that makes it sound if he was much further into the woods then I am seeing? seems to me that if he had been molested by a sexual offender his body might have been partially nude and maybe even an attempt to conceal the body with vegitation? either way, this is so heartbreaking to here. and then the family in the middle of moving, how terrible to think you have to pack up the things that little fellow owned and move away. maybe after an autopsy they might be able to tell if he had been struck by a car and the person didn't stop, like a drunk driver or something along those lines? prayers for his family..

seems like I read here recently that the dad wanted to see the area his son was found in, and that later the body was found some 4 feet from the roads edge, I am grasping at straws here, but I wonder if it is possible that he was struck by a speeding car and he was tossed off the shoulder of the road and hit the ground and rolled into the edge of the wooded area? or is there other info that makes it sound if he was much further into the woods then I am seeing? seems to me that if he had been molested by a sexual offender his body might have been partially nude and maybe even an attempt to conceal the body with vegitation? either way, this is so heartbreaking to here. and then the family in the middle of moving, how terrible to think you have to pack up the things that little fellow owned and move away. maybe after an autopsy they might be able to tell if he had been struck by a car and the person didn't stop, like a drunk driver or something along those lines? prayers for his family..

I hope the father didn't have anything to do with it. I'm always so suspicious! :blushing: From the article I just finished reading below, it doesn't sound like the father is involved at all.

If he was found close to the road, you might be right, dannyodie. (ETA: He was found 25 feet from the road, but someone could have hit him and then dragged him into the woods, right?)

Here's an excerpt from a VERY informative article about the case:
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/080107/met_188253026.shtml

Youmans told the Times-Union he believed a group of people killed his son, hid his body and later dumped him there.
"There's no way I missed my son ...," the 33-year-old man said, choking back tears and changing his mind as the word "swollen" started to cross his lips. "In the condition he was in. Somebody knows something. ... "I was back and forth like a mower was on grass. It's gut-wrenching just to think someone would do a child that way."
Tony's family last saw him alive Sunday afternoon. They believe the 4-foot-tall, 80-pound redhead may have known something about a crime committed around his apartment complex before the culprits beat him to death to keep him quiet, his father and other family members told the Times-Union.

==
I feel so badly for that family. I can't imagine losing my own son this way. :(

Taximom,

Thanks for posting that article...it was very informative!

Don't be sorry for being suspicious...we're all just trying to figure out what happened.

I feel terrible for this family of this boy, but the theory that he might have seen a crime and was murdered is plausible. He was scared of someone of something.

May he rest in peace.

I feel terrible for this family of this boy, but the theory that he might have seen a crime and was murdered is plausible. He was scared of someone of something.

May he rest in peace.

What I'm wondering is why the parents didn't know why he was scared. I'd sure as heck interrogate my (imaginary) 12 year old if he said he needed a gun to protect himself.

Jacksonville police have made an arrest in the case of 12-year-old Tony Youmans' death, the Times-Union has learned.

A 23-year-old man is in the Duval County jail on a felony charge of furnishing a firearm to a minor without parental permission, jail records show. He was booked into jail early this morning.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/080107/met_188358905.shtml

Oh no, that poor little boy. His poor parents.

Youmans, who was reported missing from his Nia Terrace Apartments home Sunday, was found dead in a nearby wooded lot at San Juan Avenue and Hyde Park Road. His family said they had heard he knew something about a crime and may have been trying to get a gun for protection.

From the article linked to above about a suspect being arrested. So, his parents knew that their son was possibly in danger and looking for a gun?? Am I reading this right??:confused:

ETA - After rereading, perhaps the article is saying this is something the parents heard after he disappeared. ?

Also, here is a link to another story I found today. It sounds like the father says the boy was beaten up and he doesn't believe that he was killed where he was found. He thinks he was left there after the search began.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/13798165/detail.html

OK, the 23 year old has been arrested for supplying a minor with a gun. So he gave Tony a firearm? And then Tony is found dead. Is anyone else here thinking suicide?

OK, the 23 year old has been arrested for supplying a minor with a gun. So he gave Tony a firearm? And then Tony is found dead. Is anyone else here thinking suicide?

What about the swelling described? What about the father saying that the body wasnt' where it was found?

If the child had trusted his parents with his fear he'd probably be alive now.

Maybe Tony wanted the gun to kill himself and made up the story about someone being after him.

So what killed him? Was he shot or was he beaten to death?

If the gun wasn't what killed him, maybe the cops just found the gun with the child's body, traced it to the 23 yr old and threw him in jail for supplying the gun to a minor.

???????????

Susan

If he was shot in the head and laid there in the heat I'm sure the body would appear bloated and maybe even look as if he were beaten.

When parents live in housing areas that are crime filled, and if the child "witnessed" something and are living in fear ...The mother/father and child immediately need to report what they saw and request protection. Too many stories this summer about senseless crimes and horror involving innocent victims. This child could have had the opportunity to be a hero here, not buy a gun. If he was scared, good neighbors must rally against the deviators! Contact the school and seek a "safe place, i.e., library, police station, community offices". Lastly, please don't allow your children to play in a park, without supervision of an adult, if there is well known gang activity in your neighborhood!!

Maybe Tony wanted the gun to kill himself and made up the story about someone being after him.

So what killed him? Was he shot or was he beaten to death?

If the gun wasn't what killed him, maybe the cops just found the gun with the child's body, traced it to the 23 yr old and threw him in jail for supplying the gun to a minor.

???????????

Susan

maybe the 23 year old did the right thing and told the police what he knew - and that he gave tony a gun.

The article states:
"At about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, police arrested Derrick Anthony Glover, 23, on a felony charge of furnishing a firearm to a minor without parental permission, jail and arrest records show. He remained in jail Wednesday on $100,000 bail.
Glover is the stepfather of Tony's best friend ..."

Later it says; "The report does not specify who received the gun, ..."

Maybe Glover gave the gun to his stepson, who accidently shot Tony. Then Glover hid the body. Maybe?

Jacksonville police have made an arrest in the case of 12-year-old Tony Youmans' death, the Times-Union has learned.

A 23-year-old man is in the Duval County jail on a felony charge of furnishing a firearm to a minor without parental permission, jail records show. He was booked into jail early this morning.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/080107/met_188358905.shtml

this is getting worse and worse. Glover gave the gun to someone who shot Tony?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SacramentoKing
Back