FL FL - Trenton Duckett, 2, Leesburg, 27 Aug 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Melinda was another Casey Anthony or Elizabeth Johnson.
She didn't kill herself out of guilt. She did it because she knew this was never going to go away and she'd never be able to live a normal life.
I think Trenton is dead but I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong. I just don't think she would have killed herself if she hadn't been responsible.

I'm only just learning about him from your post,its so sad,I'm learning a lot on here slowly,and the more I'm reading about Trenton,my gut feeling is his Mom done something to him and buried him in that forest.. :(

Same. Really and truly, I was a kid myself when Trenton disappeared in 06' and that just says how long it's been. I was born May 1996 and I had just turned 10 when Trenton made national headlines and his mother appeared on NG. It stuck with me then up until this day as my mom was an avid NG watcher (don't ask me why) and now we're here in 2019 and I'm almost 23 and it's been nearly 13 years and I remember it like it was yesterday. I honestly think he's departed from this world :(

Did she live in an apt complex with dumpsters for trash? Toddlers are small. The idea is disgusting, but probably what happened.

Many people have speculated that to be a possibility. The most disgusting thing for me that I've read about her is that after he disappeared, she threw away sentimental items such as his toys, blankets and even pictures including her sonograms from where she was pregnant in the trash. If that's not damning, I don't know what is. Also I think it would have been a risky move to place him in the dumpster but given his size, it could be entirely possible to get away with that.

She didn't kill herself out of guilt. She did it because she knew this was never going to go away and she'd never be able to live a normal life.
I think Trenton is dead but I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong. I just don't think she would have killed herself if she hadn't been responsible.

Too bad Casey Anthony is a walking acquitted murderer but I too believe Melinda was similar in the fact that both were single mothers of toddlers that should have never been mothers in the first place. I support your belief that she did not kill herself out of guilt and that maybe she just did it simply because of what you said, her life was over and she could not get away from her past so she killed herself. I think it could have been possibly both if she had a conscious and the fact that she knew the future did not look bright for her when things started to catch up with her. Believe me, I wish him to be alive too but sadly I don't think he is and I at least hope one day, everyone can come to the conclusion and keep his memory close <3 It's a shame what a selfish young girl can do to herself, a child's life and others who are impacted by such tragedies. I wished she would have at least had the decency to disclose what happened to Trenton in her suicide letters but instead, she gave no one closure and took that secret to her grave.

Welcome to WS SweetMNM!
This is an interesting first post/thread for you!
I think your explanation of poor Trenton’s fate is as good as any. He is one of the many precious missing children that haunt me.

Welcome to WS SweetMNM!
This is an interesting first post/thread for you!
I think your explanation of poor Trenton’s fate is as good as any. He is one of the many precious missing children that haunt me.

Thank you so much! And yeah, I decided to make this my first thread because it is the one case of all missing children I've heard that somehow impacted me and is actually the reason why I signed up, so I can keep in touch with all the updates and hope that something positive comes out of situations like this or at least some closure can be delivered to grieving families. Trenton is my inspiration for signing up :)

Sometimes I think Trenton could be alive, and sometimes I don't think he is. My opinion flips constantly, because we have no answers.

I can't believe how long it has been.

With the theory of her moving his body somewhere in the woods. I thought they were spotted in a fast food joint. I don't remember. But if his body was in the car was it ever tested?

Shades of Emily Glass too.

Many people have speculated that to be a possibility. The most disgusting thing for me that I've read about her is that after he disappeared, she threw away sentimental items such as his toys, blankets and even pictures including her sonograms from where she was pregnant in the trash. If that's not damning, I don't know what is. Also I think it would have been a risky move to place him in the dumpster but given his size, it could be entirely possible to get away with that.
That is extremely damning.

Welcome to WS @SweetNMN

There is already a thread for Trenton (which you also seem to have found). As there is one in the right time section, this one is redundant.

To all, please move to the according thread for further discussion, this one will be morged!
FL - FL - Trenton Duckett, 2, Leesburg, 27 Aug 2006

Hi, thank you. Also are new threads not allowed to be up for discussion if already being covered by another thread? Sorry, I'm new and not up to date on the rules. I just created this thread to hear new intake but I apologize if I violated a rule, also is this a method to keep the forums from being over run with "redundant" posts?

Sometimes I think Trenton could be alive, and sometimes I don't think he is. My opinion flips constantly, because we have no answers.

With the theory of her moving his body somewhere in the woods. I thought they were spotted in a fast food joint. I don't remember. But if his body was in the car was it ever tested?

They were supposedly, depending on the accuracy of the witness. A woman working a Wendy's drive thru said that Melinda came through there with Trenton but returned about 45 minutes later and this time, didn't have him with her. That was reportedly the last time another person physically saw Trenton other than Melinda. And I also flip flop between my thoughts on this case as well but the more time flies by and he has yet to turn up, the more I lose hope and convinced Melinda had something to do with it. I, at one time gave Melinda the benefit of the doubt but I'm starting to think otherwise.

But if his body was in the car was it ever tested?

Just noticed I skipped over this part of your reply. To my knowledge, I don't believe the car was examined at all. The police could have but the only thing I recall that the police have done as far as her car was concerned was search it and that's actually were they found the suicide notes. That seems very strange because she killed herself in the closet of her grandparents' home but the notes were found in her car and there was also a news channel that said she committed suicide in the car because I remember them saying that specifically when it happened but that was not true, her body was found with the shotgun in her closet. I do find it odd that she did not leave the notes close by but she must have laid them in her car before doing the deed inside. I guess she knew they would search her car once they found her but I'm really surprised to not hear that the police did not do any forensic testing on the car to see if Trenton was there and to see if it tied to his whereabouts or what could have happened to him.

bbm

I'm with you on both! Trenton's case is what brought me to WS. I followed it as a lurker mostly, then joined in January (12 years ago now). I can't believe it's been this long. He would be a teenager now. Sadly I think he's no longer alive, although there's always the 'what if'. I mean he could be alive somewhere. We'll likely never know for sure. He was such a cute toddler too.

[snipped for space] That seems very strange because she killed herself in the closet of her grandparents' home but the notes were found in her car and there was also a news channel that said she committed suicide in the car because I remember them saying that specifically when it happened but that was not true, her body was found with the shotgun in her closet. I do find it odd that she did not leave the notes close by but she must have laid them in her car before doing the deed inside. I guess she knew they would search her car once they found her but I'm really surprised to not hear that the police did not do any forensic testing on the car to see if Trenton was there and to see if it tied to his whereabouts or what could have happened to him.

Melinda intended to commit suicide in the car, however, she relocated most likely after trying to get in position but could not....HER shotgun was found in the car. She abandoned that attempt and relocated inside, unable to bring her shotgun with her because she was fully aware an unmarked car was watching her movements. Hence, the use of her grandfather's shotgun and the notes and money left in the car. (I'm literally responding a year after your post, but for general info for all)

Just something to consider, if she hadn't known harm was done to Trenton (intentionally or accidentally, depending on ones thought process), why didn't she leave a note for Trenton? Probably because she knew he was gone.

On that note, Ocala was searched well. Not sure where the posts would be, but IIRC, PETA interfered in the destroying of the largest resident gator, as no proof the gator got Trenton (a very strong theory), and they said destroying it to see "if" it happened wasn't strong enough basis to kill the animal.

I still think of the Duckett case often, and those involved. Even with loss of family, many families grew larger....all joined for the love of Trenton.

Details updated, 9/13/20:
Trenton John Duckett – The Charley Project

Trenton was last seen on August 27, 2006 at Windemere Apartments in the 1400 block of Griffin Road in Leesburg, Florida. He was living there with his mother, Melinda M. Duckett, at the time. Melinda stated she put her son to bed at approximately 7:00 p.m. When she went into his room to check on him two hours later, he was missing.

The bedroom window screen had been slit, leading authorities to speculate that an abductor had gained access to the room through the window and carried the child away. Authorities initially announced they believed Trenton had been abducted and made an appeal to the public to search for him. Several days after his disappearance, however, investigators stated they had no reason to believe the child was deceased or had been taken out of the local area, and that his parents were the focal point of the investigation.

Melinda and Trenton's father, Joshua Duckett, had begun dating in high school and got married in 2005. Photographs of both of them are posted with this case summary. They were in the process of a heated divorce and custody battle in August 2006. Their relationship had been a contentious one, with numerous allegations of domestic violence between the couple, and abuse of Trenton before and after the marriage. Trenton was often in the care of Melinda's grandparents or in foster homes.

Melinda won a temporary restraining order against Joshua in July 2006, after accusing him of threatening her life and Trenton's. Joshua denies the allegations. He has been cooperative in the disappearance of his son and has passed a polygraph test.

Joshua's father, James "Jimmy" Duckett, is on death row in Florida. A former police officer, he was convicted of the rape and murder of a young girl in 1988. Joshua was only a toddler at the time his father was incarcerated, but they have maintained a relationship with each other. Trenton had visited James on death row and Melinda kept up a written correspondence with him. Authorities investigated to see whether Trenton's disappearance was related to his grandfather's crimes, but found no evidence to support this theory.

About a week after Trenton went missing, police stated they were not certain he had disappeared at the time Melinda said he did. No one other than Melinda reported having seen Trenton since his mother picked him up from day care a full day prior to his reported disappearance, and witnesses reported seeing Melinda alone in the hours prior to her son's going missing.

Melinda refused to take a polygraph, and she failed a voice stress test. Investigators found photographs and sonogram images of Trenton, and some of his toys, in the trash bin when they searched Melinda's apartment after the child's disappearance was reported. It is unclear why someone tried to throw those items away, but their presence in the garbage made police suspicious.

Melinda had told her attorney she took her son and a shotgun to a shooting range at the Ocala National Forest on August 27, then became lost and drove around central Florida for eight hours. A photograph of Melinda's vehicle, a silver 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse, is posted with this case summary. Police are anxious to talk to anyone who may have seen it on August 27, so they can verify Melinda's story. Witnesses reported seeing her in Leesburg at the time she was supposedly lost.

On September 8, thirteen days after her son vanished, Melinda was found shot to death in a closet in her paternal grandparents' home in Lady Lake, Florida. She had taken her own life at the age of 21. She left two notes, one of which was addressed to "the public" and expressed her love for Trenton and complained about being ridiculed and criticized. Neither note disclosed any information as to what happened to the child.

Melinda's family cited the stress of her son's disappearance and the subsequent media scrutiny as the reason for her suicide. She had a history of depression and two previous stays in mental hospitals, mostly recently in 2005, after she either harmed herself or threatened to.

Melinda's parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Nancy Grace, a television talk show host, and CNN, her network, in December 2006. Grace conducted an aggressive interview with Melinda shortly before her death and her parents argued that she had been pushed over the edge as a result. Melinda died by suicide before the interview aired. In November 2010, the lawsuit was settled out of court; CNN agreed to set up a $200,000 trust fund to finance the search for Trenton.

On September 21, nearly a month after Trenton went missing and two weeks after Melinda's death, police officially named her as the prime and only suspect in Trenton's case. They stated they did not necessarily believe she had harmed him, however.

Authorities investigated the possibility that Trenton had been sent to his mother's native South Korea. Melinda had been adopted by a New York couple shortly after birth and never knew her biological parents, but she said she'd like to locate her Korean relatives and get Trenton in touch with his roots. Police found no evidence that the child had ever left the United States, however.

Almost a full year after Trenton disappeared, investigators stated they had ruled out several theories in his case: they no longer believe he was abducted by a stranger or that his mother gave him to another individual to hide from Joshua. Authorities remain hopeful that Trenton is alive, and continue to actively investigate his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back