FL - West Palm Beach - Trump Assassination Attempt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you have a link to the statement that the penalty for an assassination attempt on a former president is up to five years? I think that five years is the penalty for making a threat against a former president, but not the penalty for attempted murder of a former president. I wasn't able to find information on the penalty for attempted murder/assassination attempt on a former president, just information on charges of making a threat against a former president.
So, I'm looking at attempted murder, but caution is involved here. Because it's from a defense lawyer's site. (Federal statutes don't define the "attempt" part of attempted murder)
However, this lawyer includes it with:
Stalking, tracking, or ambushing
Luring.
Breaking-in.
Constructing (as in making a bomb)
Soliciting.

So, we know that Routh was involved in the stalking, tracking and ambushing part.

There was someone who was charged with a plot to assassinate Trump via murder for hire. (Soliciting) So I guess it would fall under attempted murder? But it also includes a count of attempt to commit terrorism. So this is also confusing....

Asif Merchant, 46, entered his plea to one count of attempting to commit terrorism across national boundaries and one count of murder for hire at a hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Levy in Brooklyn. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pa...-court-assassination-plot-charges-2024-09-16/

It's confusing and this a defense attorney's site and I don't know. But anyway if solicitation is considered attempted, then stalking, tracking and ambushing could be considered attempted. However, I urge caution because I don't know the laws. I don't know if it's state laws or it applies to federal laws. Are federal laws vague with "attempt" on purpose for a larger umbrella? I have no idea!

At the end of the press conference today with the FBI, SS, ATF, U.S. Attorney's Office, the Sheriff from Palm Beach County stated that he received a phone call from President Trump who thanked him for his work and the Sheriff stated that his department has a good working relationship with President Trump.

The statement was very heartfelt and brought tears to my eyes as it made the point that what this incident is also about on a personal level is the life of a human being whose wife, children and grandchildren will now have to deal with a second attempt on his life. At that level, any decent person has to be feeling incredible empathy for President Trump and his family.
I do!
I was a young teen when JFK was assassinated. An older teen when Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were assassinated. I remember Reagan being shot. And attempts on Gerald Ford. If someone cannot feel for these guys, and their families, they aren’t human. It’s gut wrenching.

Moo....in regards to US presidential assination attempts. Have any professional hits or has it been fringe thinkers? Moo
Not since John Wilkes Booth that I know of.

It's fringe because it's a lost cause.

In the days of olde...as in very old assassination may have been a vehicle for "regime change", and hence was professional, political etc. These days it's pretty much a suicide mission.

“I think the American people are going to be shocked and appalled by our findings as to the lapses and failures on that day,” Blumenthal, (D - Connecticut), said during an unrelated press event in Hartford.

He was quick to credit the Secret Service for their handling of Sunday’s incident, when officers noticed a rifle protruding from some shrubs on a Florida gold course.

“Political violence is unacceptable,” he said. “It has no place in America.”

Blumenthal is also chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, one of several legislative bodies looking into the July 13th incident when a gunman fired at Trump during a rally in Pennsylvania.

So, I'm looking at attempted murder, but caution is involved here. Because it's from a defense lawyer's site. (Federal statutes don't define the "attempt" part of attempted murder)
However, this lawyer includes it with:
Stalking, tracking, or ambushing
Luring.
Breaking-in.
Constructing (as in making a bomb)
Soliciting.

So, we know that Routh was involved in the stalking, tracking and ambushing part.

There was someone who was charged with a plot to assassinate Trump via murder for hire. (Soliciting) So I guess it would fall under attempted murder? But it also includes a count of attempt to commit terrorism. So this is also confusing....

It's confusing and this a defense attorney's site and I don't know. But anyway if solicitation is considered attempted, then stalking, tracking and ambushing could be considered attempted. However, I urge caution because I don't know the laws. I don't know if it's state laws or it applies to federal laws. Are federal laws vague with "attempt" on purpose for a larger umbrella? I have no idea!

I guess we'll have to wait until the arraignment when all the charges are brought against RR in federal court. I think the federal law that will apply will be related to the attempted assassination of a former president, as there are specific laws related to the various classes of Secret Service protectees and federal government officials, employees and family members. It seemed to me, from the earlier research that I did, however limited, that the Counterterrorism Section (CTS) of the National Security Division of the federal government may be where the statutes are found in relation to a crime (threat, kidnapping, murder, etc.) of a SS protectee and other government officials, employees, etc. Or, perhaps as you say, other federal laws will apply

Which means, in the negative, the SSA who took the shot didn't have a solid target which means it was arguably a reckless shot. Not sure how near an innocent pedestrian could have been but it is supremely fortunate that no one was injured by that stray bullet.

I do not envy SS their job, their responsibility, their duty or their trigger.

JMO
I agree with you. Also SS had handguns, not rifles, exactly how far a shot from a handgun would be, I’m not sure it would have reached the target.

Can they easily reference that information when responding to a DV call?
Yes, at least I think so. Computers in police cars, like computers in peoples pockets (phones) have gotten more and more powerful.

Years ago, when land lines were still relatively common), my then four year old crank called the police via pounding on the phone, eventually getting 911, and then hanging up.

I had not purchased a fire arm in 10 years. But... when the police showed up, one waited outside with a gun drawn, but with the pistol concealed behind his leg.

The police man who entered the house asked several questions, one of which seemed to imply that they knew that I had purchased a fire arm in the past.

Trump should ... as any free American citizen should ...be able to golf where he chooses...

As we know... Biden has been enjoying open and un-walled beach activities...
As he SHOULD be able to... and as any free American citizen should.

JMO
My dad was in the military until I was 13. We were quite limited in what we could do! We did not have the same rights afforded to civilian kids! My dad was serving his country and had enhanced responsibilities and so did us kids.

Public servants do have enhanced responsibilities and less freedoms.

When you work for the government you lose some of your freedoms (esp freedom of speech) and that is a fact.

Using your logic, it won't be long until we tell a rape victim that all of life's choices come at a price. You shouldn't have gone to that bar, shouldn't have gone alone, shouldn't have worn that outfit. Not very logical is it?
But, but.....

Police do inform victims prior to severe storm situations that the storm is dangerous and that the police may lack the resources to make immediate rescues. They then inform people that it would be very prudent to evacuate, change leisure plans, shelter in place etc.

Maybe Trump is getting similar advise, but not following it? I could see something like:

SS: We currently do not have the resources to completely secure this particular golf course on short notice. It would be prudent to play a selected portion of this other course with 3 days advance notice.

The Real Donald Trump: Concerns noted. But...I am going golfing here, on this course, this afternoon.....

SS:
Understood sir. We"ll get the current detail together.....

Last edited:
I do!
I was a young teen when JFK was assassinated. An older teen when Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were assassinated. I remember Reagan being shot. And attempts on Gerald Ford. If someone cannot feel for these guys, and their families, they aren’t human. It’s gut wrenching.
We saw the movie Reagan yesterday, it's a great movie, reminded me of his assassination attempt! It was surreal to walk out of the movie and read what was going on in Florida with another attempt on President Trump's life. I encourage you all to see the move if you can, it's the best one I have seen in a long time.

But, but.....

Police do inform victims prior to severe storm situations that the storm is dangerous and that the police may lack the resources to make immediate rescues. They then inform people that it would be very prudent to evacuate, change leisure plans, shelter in place etc.

Maybe Trump is getting similar advise, but not following it? I could see something like:

SS: We currently do not have the resources to completely secure this particular golf course on short notice. It would be prudent to play a selected portion of this other course with 4 days advance notice.

The Real Donald Trump: Concerns noted. But...I am going golfing here, on this course, this afternoon.....

SS:
Understood sir. We"ll get the current detail together.
I can absolutely see this happening. IMO.

We saw the movie Reagan yesterday, it's a great movie, reminded me of his assassination attempt! It was surreal to walk out of the movie and read what was going on in Florida with another attempt on President Trump's life. I encourage you all to see the move if you can, it's the best one I have seen in a long time.
Haven’t seen the movie but I do like Dennis Quaid.

Don’t forget though that SS took a shot and missed.

press conference posted just a few pages back at 4 pm said SS didn’t know.
My question was how did the perp know?
I guess he had been stalking the spot so no one saw him? Guess not.
I'm beginning to think that Trump should hire his own security force.

Using your logic, it won't be long until we tell a rape victim that all of life's choices come at a price. You shouldn't have gone to that bar, shouldn't have gone alone, shouldn't have worn that outfit. Not very logical is it?
This is a downright offensive comparison that shouldn't even be allowed here. When politicians rise to the level of being secret service protectees, they understand that comes with things they can't do anymore because it's too much risk and too difficult for the secret service to secure. Often their spouses have to quit their jobs, and their children have to go specific schools that accommodate that level of protection, etc. This is part of the job when one CHOOSES to run for the highest office in the country. The other three individuals involved in this election seem to understand that.

Moo...Mr Trump as a presidential candidate should realize that he cannot just live his life like a private citizen. All life choices come at a price. He does need to be realistic about the possible dangerous easily targeted areas he goes...moo

If i am reading this correctly...

Trump... as a member of a unique demographic...
should curtail his activities (even though in legal and cordoned off areas...so as to not be attacked by mean-spirited people having no moral compasses...

Therefore... me... as a woman who is an avid walker ... as a member of a unique demographic...in my otherwise safe neighborhood... should curtail my walking/hiking activities around certain subjective parameters of time so as not to be attacked by mean-spirited people with no moral compasses...

Sooooo... if I continue to walk...even though following various societally acceptable safety precautions...
I should be held accountable should I be attacked?

Hmmm...

My dad was in the military until I was 13. We were quite limited in what we could do! We did not have the same rights afforded to civilian kids! My dad was serving his country and had enhanced responsibilities and so did us kids.

Public servants do have enhanced responsibilities and less freedoms.

When you work for the government you lose some of your freedoms (esp freedom of speech) and that is a fact.

True. But I would have significant issues with any of my children being around Trump right now. He has chosen this, anyone in his proximity, especially if he has his grandchildren around him, have not, and imagine if his granddaughter was with him on the golf course?!

And really, it is next to impossible to keep Trump completely safe, unless he stays in a locked down unknown bunker from now until election day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMP2816
Back