FL - West Palm Beach - Trump Assassination Attempt

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Golf and presidents are historically linked. It is the one game a president can play for a few hours to unwind, but also serves as an opportunity to invite guests who the president can interact with to "do the nation's business." The game for most presidents serves as both a social and professional venue.

A golf course presents unique challenges for security and for the Secret Service -- it is one of those sites they have to plan for, often on a moment's notice. Golf is not something most presidents put on a schedule, but it is something the Secret Service can expect to happen.

Is there a military base with a golf course down near Mar a Lago, or whatever it's called? If so, that could work down there.
There is one at the Patrick AFB/Space Force 128 miles away (a smallish base) but that particular golf course is somewhat unique in that it is open to the public, but the public needs to be screened. It's probably not the type of course Trump would want to play on.

There is one in the Tampa area and one at Elgin in the panhandle.

Bases provide golf as a benefit to active duty and retired military.

Homestead (reservist base) only has basketball courts.
The Naval Air Stations seem to have none. (Jacksonville has a pool and gym)

Many on this list are historic sites or merely hangars in a public airport:

Last edited:
IIRC, Trump first ran for president in 2016 and his SS protection should have started 120 days before the November election. Granted his residence was in Trump Tower in NYC, I suspect he visited and played golf at Mar A Largo sometimes back then. I, also, suspect the gap in the fence line was there as well.

IIRC, Trump moved his residency from Trump Tower to Mar A Largo in September of 2019 while he was president. Again, I suspect he played golf at Mar A Largo and the gap in the fence line was there as well.

So, here we are 8 years later and the gap in the fence line has never been even temporarily fixed.

Seriously, in my opinion, a trip to Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, etc. should have provided some way to at least block the view of those on the golf course from being seen, photographed, or sighted in on a scope. I know it isn't bullet proof; however, it would have stopped RR from sticking a rifle through the fence. And, if someone moved whatever the opening was blocked with, it would have been very noticeable.

Another option would have been installing trail cameras with motion sensors on them to cover gaps. If they can be installed in the woods and monitored by property owners and hunters, why not by SS or Mar A Largo security?

In my opinion, this is another failure by SS supervisors to identify weak areas in the perimeter.

IIRC, Trump first ran for president in 2016 and his SS protection should have started 120 days before the November election. Granted his residence was in Trump Tower in NYC, I suspect he visited and played golf at Mar A Largo sometimes back then. I, also, suspect the gap in the fence line was there as well.

IIRC, Trump moved his residency from Trump Tower to Mar A Largo in September of 2019 while he was president. Again, I suspect he played golf at Mar A Largo and the gap in the fence line was there as well.

So, here we are 8 years later and the gap in the fence line has never been even temporarily fixed.

Seriously, in my opinion, a trip to Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, etc. should have provided some way to at least block the view of those on the golf course from being seen, photographed, or sighted in on a scope. I know it isn't bullet proof; however, it would have stopped RR from sticking a rifle through the fence. And, if someone moved whatever the opening was blocked with, it would have been very noticeable.

Another option would have been installing trail cameras with motion sensors on them to cover gaps. If they can be installed in the woods and monitored by property owners and hunters, why not by SS or Mar A Largo security?

In my opinion, this is another failure by SS supervisors to identify weak areas in the perimeter.
The surrounding area is open to the public and cordoned off only by the bushes and a chain-link fence. There is a small area where bushes aren't growing but there is a fence. (This may have been the photographers' gap)

Chain link fences can be cut. Once someone gets in the bushes they can hide and cut a chain link fence. I don't believe Routh entered any "gap".

The current "vegetation hole" being referenced was created by law enforcement to access the crime scene. You can see cut vegetation on the ground. On the day of the crime, there was no vegetation gap visible from the gun was removed. Also google streetview does not show a vegetation gap at the sniper's nest.

TRUMP-GOLF-MAP-1.jpg

It's obvious that the property is secured via a chain link fence. I don't believe there are security cameras on the chain link fence.

The vegetation gap on congress street has come and gone. It appears that maintenance cuts the vegetation way back for some reason, it grows again and then it's cut again. However, this vegetation gap is in a different spot than where Routh was
26°40'00.7"N 80°05'17.9"W

This is a country club that has a membership.
Is it SS responsibility to repair and make upgrades to country clubs? Who decides to make repairs? Who decides to grow vegetation? How do utility companies access the site?

Last edited:

In the wake of what officials believe was a second recent attempt on Mr. Trump’s life,
the Secret Service’s top official has told him that more security and planning is needed for him to continue his golf outings, according to three people briefed on their conversation.

Rbm.

Rowe would be the first red bolded.

Wonder who the other three are mentioned in the NYT article ?

"...Former President Donald J. Trump gave his Secret Service detail short notice that he would be golfing at his course in West Palm Beach, Fla., on Sunday..."
"...The decision not to survey the course at Trump International Golf Club, because of a lack of time ..."

What about flying a drone around the perimeter before the game ?
It wouldn't require any streets being blocked off, and wouldn't impede daily life for the surrounding area.
The budget of the secret service would allow for such.
Maybe more than one drone if need be.

Eta : The secret service assigned to him have one job.
Even if spontaneous decisions are made, they should be able to accommodate the protection arrangements.
The unguarded fence could've undergone a cursory, basic check for armed people on the outside.
RR lay in wait for many hours.

I'm curious if RR scouted out the place and with what device.
It's difficult to fathom he waited for the 12 + hours in hopes that his prey would show up ; but apparently he was patient for that amount of time !
Did he have any advance notice at all ?

The secret service weren't informed until the last few minutes, possibly ?
Was RR content to wait yet again, if Trump didn't show up that day ?
Seems unlikely .... just saying.
Omo.
Funny isnt it, how all other Presidents could play golf out in the open and they are fully protected even now, yet Trump is told to turn it down a bit?

I could not disagree more with this, and this has nothing to do with politics or who the target was here.
The US Secret Service’s job is to protect all high level politicians, current and past. Trump is not only a former president he is a candidate for president. That should put him pretty high on the list.
Whether he is rich or poor, the SS is mandated to protect him so we can have elections that are not decided by fringe looneys on either side.
The SS is not allowed to stomp their feet like a three year old confronted with eating spinach at dinner and say “I can’t do it, it’s too hard!”.
As a taxpayer I want the SS to do their job and do it well. They need to get better, not just bail on their responsibility.

Edit: typo
And it is their job to protect him ANYWHERE, however public.

JMO, but I really think that the Secret Service will be able to figure out how to protect President Trump at the golf courses where he likes to play. It's not rocket science, as they say. Even a police car parked along the main thoroughfare along the tree line at Trump International would be a deterrent.

In any event, I think they'll figure it out as they work together on improving SS security at that site or whatever other sites they decide to use going forward.
IMO, the SS has long known how to protect someone, and how not to. They are showing us now how “not to” and it is infuriating. New report out today by Senator Chuck Grassley, Iowa, said “Secret Service told locals they would “take care of” building used by Thomas Crooks to shoot Trump”.

Seriously, in my opinion, a trip to Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, etc. should have provided some way to at least block the view of those on the golf course from being seen, photographed, or sighted in on a scope. I know it isI thin't bullet proof; however, it would have stopped RR from sticking a rifle through the fence. And, if someone moved whatever the opening was blocked with, it would have been very noticeable.

I think Trump is playing golf more frequently during this campaign than in previous ones. Part of the reason he stays at Mara Lago, or whatever, is because he's charging the expense to both his presidential campaign and to the US taxpayer.

All of those SS employees have to stay at Mara Lago and the government must pay a high rate for those accommodations. The more SS, FBI, DHS and other agents he has staying there, the more money he makes. No other presidential candidate is doing this.

I think Trump is playing golf more frequently during this campaign than in previous ones. Part of the reason he stays at Mara Lago, or whatever, is because he's charging the expense to both his presidential campaign and to the US taxpayer.

All of those SS employees have to stay at Mara Lago and the government must pay a high rate for those accommodations. The more SS, FBI, DHS and other agents he has staying there, the more money he makes. No other presidential candidate is doing this.
Do you have proof that he is charging both his campaign and the taxpayer?

Funny isnt it, how all other Presidents could play golf out in the open and they are fully protected even now, yet Trump is told to turn it down a bit?

He's not being told that. It sounds like they're trying to get him to stop making all these spur of the moment additions to his play days that give SS little or no time to prepare for adequate coverage. It sounds like they're trying to get him to discuss the golfing schedule a week or so in advance. Not sure why Trump is unable to have a regular itinerary. Most successful businessmen know how to do that.

Do you have proof that he is charging both his campaign and the taxpayer?

The Trump Organization appears to have overcharged the Secret Service for stays at Trump-owned properties by agents protecting the then-president. The charges exceeded the government's approved rate, according to the House Oversight Committee, which says Secret Service records show payments totaling over $1.4 million.

"The exorbitant rates charged to the Secret Service and agents' frequent stays at Trump-owned properties raise significant concerns about the former President's self-dealing and may have resulted in a taxpayer-funded windfall for former President Trump's struggling businesses," Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney wrote in a letter to Kimberly Cheatle, the service's director.

According to the documents, the Secret Service was charged
as much as $1,185 per room per night, nearly five times the government rate, which is set by the General Services Administration.

Has there been a limit noted/ stated on how many games of golf a presidential candidate can play? That seems a bit preposterous, IMO. Seriously, Is there a rule book for SS noting the number? Do they keep count somewhere? Is it reported to anyone when the number exceeds the requested limit? Is there a cost or repercussions? What other presidential candidates or Former Presidents were limited in where and how they spend their personal time?

That is absurd speculation in my opinion.
That’s their job. All of it is part of the job. The danger, the travel, transient residences are part of it. It they don’t like it, find another job. If the American people don’t like paying to protect high level politicians, and prefer to live in a society where might makes right, then we should convince our representatives to get rid of the SS
They have done that same thing for decades. Plenty of presidents and former presidents liked to play golf.

Trumps been living at Mara Lago the past four years. I would bet he was frequently at the golf course prior to the campaign.

I do believe, moo, many SS agents would live locally. The same would apply to agents protecting the Obamas, Bush, Carter, all former Presidents. These are long-term assignments.

I would think agents in hotels would be under the GAOs government rate, unless traveling with the protectee.

Moo...

And it is their job to protect him ANYWHERE, however public.
I fully agree- just like its the Coast Guard's duty to search for me and to rescue me if I get swept out to sea in an under tow. I have seen the Coast Guard doing just that for other people on more than one occasion.

But....

A prudent swimmer follows the advice given by beach Life Guards. A prudent swimmer also notes and follows beach warning flags. If a swimmer choses to ignore these flags or advise....

Certainly Donald Trump can go play golf.

The issue is that he did not notify the SS in a timely manner so that the SS could have superior protection in place.

This article is one of many I’ve read that states Trump’s campaign did not advise SS of his plans for Sunday early enough.

If you know Trump, you know that he likes to be spontaneous. You can see that even in his speeches where he usually goes off-script. He is also used to being in charge and giving orders. It’s his nature and worked for him as a businessman.

In his present position, he is most certainly welcome to play golf, but he has to give a heads-up to the SS if he wants to play golf AND remain safe. It takes time to fully protect him in an outdoor space that abuts public property.

JMO

Certainly Donald Trump can go play golf.

The issue is that he did not notify the SS in a timely manner so that the SS could have superior protection in place.

This article is one of many I’ve read that states Trump’s campaign did not advise SS of his plans for Sunday early enough.

If you know Trump, you know that he likes to be spontaneous. You can see that even in his speeches where he usually goes off-script. He is also used to being in charge and giving orders. It’s his nature and worked for him as a businessman.

In his present position, he is most certainly welcome to play golf, but he has to give a heads-up to the SS if he wants to play golf AND remain safe. It takes time to fully protect him in an outdoor space that abuts public property.

JMO
The article you linked said this.

His campaign had not advised Trump's plans for Sunday. He often spends the morning playing golf, before having lunch at the club, one of three he owns in the state.
Say's nothing about not advising the Secret Service of his plans for Sunday early enough. You added that part in for some reason.

If he usually plays golf in on Sunday mornings and this Sunday he played in the afternoon it sounds like he gave the Secret Service more time to prepare. JMO.

The article you linked said this.

Say's nothing about not advising the Secret Service of his plans for Sunday early enough. You added that part in for some reason.

If he usually plays golf in on Sunday mornings and this Sunday he played in the afternoon it sounds like he gave the Secret Service more time to prepare. JMO.
I added that in to be nice to Trump.

This article and others I’ve read actually state he did not advise them beforehand.

He wanted to go so he went, and the SS had to move on the fly.

He does do this often but they did not have advance notice.

I suppose they are always at least half-ready since he can be impulsive.

<modsnip: off topic>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what has been reported previously.

Trump had returned to Florida this weekend from a West Coast swing that included a Friday night rally in Las Vegas and a Utah fundraiser. His campaign had not announced any public plans for Trump on Sunday. He often spends the morning playing golf.

No public plans were announced. Nothing about the Secret Service being kept in the dark. JMO.

Interesting article about someone who met Ryan Routh in Ukraine

It was in Kyiv that he said he met Routh.

'Every conversation was about how he was upset that Biden had won'

“It was apparent really at first sight that he wasn’t exactly what they were looking for,” said Burton. “He really wasn’t what any volunteer group was looking for.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa0457
Back