FL FL - Yessenia Suarez, 28, & 2 children, Deltona, 22 Oct 2013 #2 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I saw the confusion by tweeters while posting the last lot of tweets for Adam Matos's trial...quickly raced over here to see what's happening.. :scared: Very confusing indeed!

Well that is the way it's going to be most often in Florida death penalty trials now that a unanimous verdict is required.

If the cold blooded killing of two innocent children who likely witnessed their mother being killed by their step father is not enough to convince 12 people to recommend the DP, it's going to be very rare to ever see it again in the state.

No matter what those people said to the judge about their ability to vote for the DP going into this, there were two anti death penalty advocates on that jury. Not saying they both knew that they were against the DP going in but you just don't know how it will affect you until your vote is required. It's the only thing that makes sense for this final vote. Every aggravating factor was met and then some. There were little to no mitigating factors.

I hope he has a very tough time in prison.

It's been a long 4 years.

R.I.P. Yessenia, Thalia and Michael Elijah :cry: :rose:

[video=youtube;z1GWYkDV8bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1GWYkDV8bU[/video]

[video=youtube;cCbo6PR87E0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCbo6PR87E0[/video]

[video=youtube;-DRDxn1Sk6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRDxn1Sk6s[/video]

[video=youtube;sy_7WASGK6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_7WASGK6k[/video]

"We know he did it. We know he killed my family," said Felicia Suarez, the mother of Toledo's murdered wife, Yessenia Suarez, and the children's grandmother. She has waited four long years for justice, and is satisfied that Toledo will never see life beyond a prison cell; but she still prays that one day he will tell where the bodies are.

"If he wants God to forgive him, he needs to confess, to let us know what he did and let us find our family, no matter what is left," Suarez said.

http://www.wesh.com/article/jury-recommends-life-sentence-for-luis-toledo/13258841

I'm afraid he will never disclose what he did with the bodies. The family will never be able to lay them to rest...so very sad.

After his reaction when he finally realized that he wasn't getting the DP that he claimed he wanted, I'm sure he was happy his attorneys took over the mitigators. Sorry, but 'helping someone get gas' would have made me think that all the mitigators were pulling at straws.

I thought it was just me (being English and no DP over here since 1960s), finding the reading of the DP verdict confusing. Think our judges just used to place a black cloth on top of their wigs (dated back to the Tudors) and then then everyone knew that was it, you had a date with the hangman.

Must be hard for the families to try and make sense of it too and it took so long to read through it all. I've only been watching true crime and following a few trials for about a year and I have been amazed at the complexity of the US legal system. And at how each state is so different in the way they do things, I assumed wrongly that it would be more homogeneous. But very fascinating as we only get to see real life trials here very rarely as part of a documentary very occasionally.

I agree with a previous poster, (apologies poor memory for names strikes again), that the murder of Yessinia seemed to be a little downplayed in the trial and coverage. Understandable in some ways as the deaths of young children are much harder to comprehend and we are much less shocked by a woman being brutally killed by her partner than we should be. Because she had an affair she seemed to lose sympathy.

Weirdly enough, one of the few things I would believe about Toledo was that he was devastated by this and did "love" her in a very possessive and toxic way. He was also very dependent on her financially and knew that he would probably lose much access to the children, especially as he wasn't their bio dad. So the classic high point of danger in domestic violence was reached. I think his actions were very premeditated and there was no way he was going to be able to live in that house with her and the children knowing that she had finally decided they were over, just no way he had that level of maturity.

I feel very sorry for the grandmother, she says herself with hindsight she never should have let her daughter and grandchildren go back to the house. But I can see Toledo being very plausibly calm at her house and then going off for the evening and brooding with anger that built up to murderous levels. Does anyone know if he tanked up on alcohol or drugs in that period? Could have added to the lowering of inhibitions that allowed him to actually carry out what he did.

My theory is that he probably started attacking the children first in front of Yessenia, she then started screaming and tried to stop him attacking her children and that's when the purported "karate chop" to her neck may have been a grain of truth. Family annihilators often kill children to revenge themselves on their spouse knowing that that is the worst possible hurt that they can inflict on them. Toledo made a point of making Jessinia swear on her childrens' lives that she wasn't having an affair and even told other people he'd done this. A huge red flag (in hindsight of course) as it shows how he was building a twisted justification for what he was going to do. Very very typical pattern of this sort of killer. He hated her so much for rejecting him that this overrode any attachment to the children. As they weren't going to be his anymore they were now dispensable. This scenario makes much more sense to me than killing Jessinia first then Thalia and Michael.

I think the bodies (bearing in mind his gang background) may well be unrecoverable. I think if he thought it would help himself Toledo would tell, but I believe he probably did it in a particularly callous/horrible way. It's reminded me of Kara Kopetsky's mother, Rhonda Beckford who had to wait so long for Kara to be found and seeing her shrine for Kara with pictures, flowers, candles, possessions of Kara's which was very touching. I'm sure Jessinia's family has this too.

What with following Kara and Jessica's stories, Jessica Chambers', Yessinia's, Julia Jacobson and Boogie and then hearing of the Megan Brown/family case, it's just profoundly depressing. I know there is a lot of work being done on domestic violence (how I hate that term, sounds like people are just being swatted with a tea-towel or something), but it obviously isn't enough. I try and do my bit, I have four young/teen nieces and will have no hesitation in barging in and interfering if I ever hear of any man threatening or hurting them and they know all the "controlling warning signs". Sorry for rant but we have got to get better at preventing these tragedies.

Jury recommends life sentences for Luis Toledo in children’s killings

A jury in effect sentenced Luis Toledo to life in prison without parole Friday night for killing his wife’s two children four years ago in Deltona and then disposing of their bodies.
After a month-long trial, the 12-member jury fell two votes shy of reaching a unanimous recommendation for death. That means that Circuit Judge Raul Zambrano must, by law, sentence Toledo to life without parole for the murders of Michael Elijah Otto, 8, and Thalia Otto, 9.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...ntences-for-luis-toledo-in-childrens-killings

I hope every single day he has left of his life is a struggle... a nice tough prison struggle.

I hope every single day he has left of his life is a struggle... a nice tough prison struggle.

Yes, that would have been my reasoning behind NOT giving him the death penalty, a) I gather it takes 15 years or so to get it together and I get impression they have better conditions on death row? and b) it's just too damn easy a way out for him. I want him to experience some fear and loss of control over his life. I don't think he will ever feel guilt over murdering his wife but maybe just maybe, he might find some remorse and a way to try and atone to Yessenia's family and Michael Otto for the loss of the children. Don't ask me how though, but I like to believe everyone has a chance of redemption.

And for me, although the medical and psycho/social history of this man isn't overwhelming, there are some hints that he didn't get dealt the best hand in life. He threw away the best chance he had to have a happy life when he lost Jessinia who sounded quite aspirational because he was just too lazy and selfish to support her and her kids when she was the breadwinner, preferring to spend time on his playstation and fashioning crazy facial hair styles.

We have a writer over here who coined the phrase "giant toddler syndrome" for this type of man. Totally self-absorbed, and prone to tantrums. Add to that a vicious, violent streak and it's a recipe for disaster.

This situation just breaks my heart so much. These were such brutal murders and so senseless. Total tragedy all around.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
NamUs #MP26785
Yessenia Ivette Suarez
Circumstances of Disappearance - Yessenia went missing along with her two children (Thalia and Michael Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother).

NamUs #MP54791
Thalia Ivette Otto
Circumstances of Disappearance - Thalia went missing along with her mom (Yessenia Suarez) and her brother (Michael Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother). went missing along with her mom and brother. The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (the husband of Thalia's mother and the step-father to Thalia and her brother). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of their grandmother.

NamUs #MP54793
Michael Elijah Otto
Circumstances of Disappearance - Michael went missing along with his mom (Yessenia Suarez) and his sister (Thalia Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother).

NamUs #MP26785
Yessenia Ivette Suarez
Circumstances of Disappearance - Yessenia went missing along with her two children (Thalia and Michael Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother).

NamUs #MP54791
Thalia Ivette Otto
Circumstances of Disappearance - Thalia went missing along with her mom (Yessenia Suarez) and her brother (Michael Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother). went missing along with her mom and brother. The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (the husband of Thalia's mother and the step-father to Thalia and her brother). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of their grandmother.

NamUs #MP54793
Michael Elijah Otto
Circumstances of Disappearance - Michael went missing along with his mom (Yessenia Suarez) and his sister (Thalia Otto). The three of them were all murdered by Luis Toledo (Yessenia's husband and the step-father to Michael and Thalia). Toledo is currently serving life in prison for all three of their murders; however, he refuses to tell anyone where he left the three bodies. All three victims were last seen on October 22, 2013, at approximately 8pm when they left the home of Yessenia's mother (Michael and Thalia's grandmother).
This is my city. I hope the family gets closure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firminouk
Back