FL FL - Young person, missing after possible gator attack, Orange County, 9 May 2018 *Tamara Lamour*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
per WESH TV Orlando

Body found in pond they've been searching.

I would think if someone got bit by an alligator it would be more likely that the person would scream “help!” or just plain scream. Rather than saying, “It bit me!”

I could well depend on how familiar that person is with alligators. Alligators are part of the landscape in some areas and almost always shy away from humans. They are more aggressive when mating- hungry with a small person, or truly hungry and a larger person.

That aside, locals and especially those from rural backgrounds, can be accustomed to wading while hunting, fishing, hiking and even swimming around them with suitable precautions. One part of these precautions is just to keep a sensible distance depending on size of alligator and not to bother them. The alligators then will not bother you (well almost all the time).

Thus a local person would could well automatically describe the attack as being "bitten" by what he knew to be an alligator, and could well know it to be a particular alligator. If the report is accurate, and I hope it is not, my guess is that the youth was a local, accustomed to alligators, but unaware he was too close to one.

bbm

I have trouble believing 15 feet is accurate.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website, male alligators in Florida can skirt 15 feet, with the state record being a bit over fourteen feet.
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/facts/
Descriptions of American alligators, in general, have the species topping off right at 15 feet:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/a/american-alligator/
(Actually, that link says that male American alligators "average" 10-15 feet)

The guy probably did see a really huge gator in that pond at some point although IMO it's really difficult to "eyeball" a precise size.

Regarding the topic, something about really says "hoax" to me. I agree with @IceIce9:
I would think if someone got bit by an alligator it would be more likely that the person would scream “help!” or just plain scream. Rather than saying, “It bit me!”

Yes! Screams of pain and for help, etc. Not "It bit me, it bit me!"
This is one of those things where one outcome is infuriating (because of the emotional stress and the resources given to searching for the potential victim) but also highly preferable to the other outcome, which is..., well, horrible.

Edit: while typing, the news came through that they found a body.
Whoever it is, I feel so bad. :(

I could well depend on how familiar that person is with alligators. Alligators are part of the landscape in some areas and almost always shy away from humans. They are more aggressive when mating- hungry with a small person, or truly hungry and a larger person.

That aside, locals and especially those from rural backgrounds, can be accustomed to wading while hunting, fishing, hiking and even swimming around them with suitable precautions. One part of these precautions is just to keep a sensible distance depending on size of alligator and not to bother them. The alligators then will not bother you (well almost all the time).

Thus a local person would could well automatically describe the attack as being "bitten" by what he knew to be an alligator, and could well know it to be a particular alligator. If the report is accurate, and I hope it is not, my guess is that the youth was a local, accustomed to alligators, but unaware he was too close to one.

You're probably correct that the youth was unaware he was too close, but from the link provided above ( thank you enelram ) it states the locals were aware the pond was infested with alligators. It also states:

"There's a fence around the pond and no trespassing signs, but neighbors say people still get in through holes in the fence..."

It sounds like despite the warnings, the youth did not believe he was in any real danger, the way young people often do.

Many of them are risk-takers and their stories become the grist for the tales they often tell others after they become sensible adults.

So very sad this youth did not get that same opportunity...

JMO

http://abc13.com/body-found-in-retention-pond-where-teen-possibly-attacked-by-alligator/3454003/

Body found in retention pond where teen possibly attacked by alligator
[FONT=&amp]
"Deputies have found a body in the retention pond where a missing teen was possibly attacked by an alligator.

Crews had been searching for the teen boy who was seen flailing in a large retention pond in Florida. They believe he was possibly taken underwater by an alligator.

Florida Fish and Wildlife officials said it is not yet clear if an alligator was involved in the boy's disappearance."
[/FONT]
bbm

Press Conference- OC Sheriff-

Body found is FEMALE late teens to early 20's, no sign of alligator bites. Hispanic or black.

Press Conference- OC Sheriff-

Body found is FEMALE late teens to early 20's, no sign of alligator bites. Hispanic or black.

K. This just gets weirder...

This is so strange!
Did the man mistake a partially dressed female for a male? He had needed his binoculars, so it's quite possible.
No bite marks? If a woman was partially dressed and was seen prior, was she mentally unwell? On drugs? Who is she, any reports of a missing female in the area?
Gah, so many questions!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

[h=1]Woman's body found in Orange County pond; gator attack dismissed[/h]
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/search-to-resume-in-orange-county-pond-after-possible-gator-attack

The name and age of the victim have not been released, but Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jeff Williamson said she was a black or Hispanic woman in her late teens to early 20s. There were no signs that a gator attacked the woman, whose body was found about 50 yards offshore, he said.

"We have some idea of who we think it may be," Williamson said. "It may take a few hours to confirm that."

bbm

You're probably correct that the youth was unaware he was too close, but from the link provided above ( thank you enelram ) it states the locals were aware the pond was infested with alligators. It also states:

"There's a fence around the pond and no trespassing signs, but neighbors say people still get in through holes in the fence..." It sounds like despite the warnings, the youth did not believe he was in any real danger, the way young people often do. Many of them are risk-takers and their stories become the grist for the tales they often tell others after they become sensible adults.

Good points. One of the residents who saw the attack implied that he also swims in the pond while keeping an eye out for the alligator. He gave the impression that he viewed the swims as sort of a game.

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...s-for-teen-who-went-missing-in-retention-pond

Neighbors living near the pond said the area is supposed to be off-limits. But even though there is a fence and "no trespassing" signs, some said they have seen young kids there regularly.

"Somebody cut that open (the fence and) people ride bikes back there and everything. I've seen a guy go one day with a baby carriage and a battery with his two teenage sons, because they had a boat hidden in the woods with an electric motor and they were going fishing. I said, 'You know, there are gators in there,' and he goes, 'Yeah.' He was taking his boys back there to fish," Ruben Perez said.

The neighbors said they try to keep their distance from the water because of the gators around the lake.

I guess the original witness may have mistaken the victim's gender...but it is odd there is no evidence on the body to indicate a gator attack...maybe she drowned trying to save someone who was attacked?!? In which case maybe there is still another victim in the water?

Could it have been a snake??

According to LE there was no damage to the body.

Also, it was reported a suicidal woman was in the neighborhood yesterday.

(From the firstcoastnews video linked above.)

I wonder if the person that said "it bit me" knew of the body in the water and wanted it to be found without implicating himself? Therefore he creates a ruse and a search...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back