Florda Teen Goes To IRAQ......alone!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Marthatex said:
That was her big mistake IMO. She says she's mad at him but she ought to be mad at herself IMO.

However, he's going to have magazine articles, job offers, etc; maybe a movie. Hope it doesn't go to his head.

We need more young people with idealisim like his. He just wanted to learn, work in Iraq and make progress toward peace. We need more people with ideas like his.
No, he didn't want to go there to work, he just wanted to go BECAUSE HE WANTED TO go! (and may I add had the bucks to do so)

What did his venture contribute to making any progress for peace :confused:

Buzzm1 said:
I understand they are preventing him from talking to reporters. The Army said, "you don't reward stupidity" or something to that effect.
And it was a stupid thing to do!

If he had been held captive then our military would be involved in trying to save him!

He stayed with some family friends while over there, and I think because he's just a smart spoiled kid we shouldn't think he's some sort of teen hero:doh:

It was a really stupid thing to do; our troops aren't there to take care of idiots like this who happen to be affluent enough to pay the airfares, and taxi fares, to get to Baghdad, a war zone.

Tom'sGirl said:
No, he didn't want to go there to work, he just wanted to go BECAUSE HE WANTED TO go! (and may I add had the bucks to do so)

Because he could. It was idealistic and dangerous. He ventured where no one else would. He thought that his idealism would bring recognition to the plight and it has.It was so dangerous. His parents must be crazy with worry.But he did something I would never attempt.I thinkhe may be someone to look for in the future.I think that we should hope that someone in our future has any moral obligation and acts upon it.

concernedperson said:
Because he could. It was idealistic and dangerous. He ventured where no one else would. He thought that his idealism would bring recognition to the plight and it has.It was so dangerous. His parents must be crazy with worry.But he did something I would never attempt.I thinkhe may be someone to look for in the future.I think that we should hope that someone in our future has any moral obligation and acts upon it.
What do you mean where no one would ever attempt to go?

We have all kinds of civilians working over there :rolleyes: They are adults, not kids and their choice to go there to make the big bucks. Also the missionaries over there, it's their choice, but some have also been murdered!

In the 50's and 60's the kids were the ones who did a lot of the work on the civil rights movement. In the 70's they led the protests over the Vietnam war. Since that time, it is like the kids have lost interest in what is happening in the world today. Oh, they may discuss it in school. And some may enlist in the service. Some even enlist in the peace corps, and other service organizations. They work in their schools and communities. But there has been very few with the type of idealism this young man has shown. Stupid? Yes. Dangerous? Yes. But that is also what they said about the civil rights workers in the 60's.
He got there and realized he didn't know where to start, or what to do. What he wrote about it, we will probably never see. (though I am hoping if he has no other way of publishing it, that maybe he will put in on the internet).
But the world does need this type of idealism, and maybe after he gains a little more maturity and experience- just maybe he will be a leader some day.

mysteriew said:
In the 50's and 60's the kids were the ones who did a lot of the work on the civil rights movement. In the 70's they led the protests over the Vietnam war. Since that time, it is like the kids have lost interest in what is happening in the world today. Oh, they may discuss it in school. And some may enlist in the service. Some even enlist in the peace corps, and other service organizations. They work in their schools and communities. But there has been very few with the type of idealism this young man has shown. Stupid? Yes. Dangerous? Yes. But that is also what they said about the civil rights workers in the 60's.
He got there and realized he didn't know where to start, or what to do. What he wrote about it, we will probably never see. (though I am hoping if he has no other way of publishing it, that maybe he will put in on the internet).
But the world does need this type of idealism, and maybe after he gains a little more maturity and experience- just maybe he will be a leader some day.

I have to agree with you. I think if he was my child, I would be very proud of him, but also extremely upset with him for putting himself in danger. But, I would be very proud of him. I am upset that the school is gonna give him a hard time, I think they should let the parents handle it.

The school has to be hard on him. Otherwise, they might have a problem with other kids thinking it is a lark, and deciding to take off to god knows where, and claim it is for a school assignment. I just wonder if the kid will have some type of criminal charges filed against him, when he returns. I am not sure what, but from the government responses, I expect it. Probably won't be a big charge, but will be something. And it isn't necessarily a bad thing, if they do. What he did was stupid and dangerous, and he needs to be made aware of the seriousness of it. This kid will need to learn some hard lessons, just so he can get to be of an age where can accomplish things.

Tom'sGirl said:

I was just referring to what I heard on National Public Radio. He was doing a Journalism Project for school, to learn how to do "imbedded journalism". NPR said he was very interested in finding out what could be done now to "forward the peace process".

Buzzm1 said:
I understand they are preventing him from talking to reporters. The Army said, "you don't reward stupidity" or something to that effect.

That sounds like a stupid remark, from the present military superiors. :(

We he stupid? I call it naive, or even mischievous. But I didn't read or hear anything to indicate he is "stupid".

Regarding the money, my son got interested in the stock market and made quite a bit also in the 90's. But it was already sitting in his COLLEGE CUSTODIAL account, and he had no access to it. He knew exactly what it was for.

To me, to just give a child $10,000 is foolish. Surely he took it out of some kind of account that he had access to, and maybe she just trusted that he wouldn't spend it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back