Florida: Johnny Can't Read? Mommy Gets An "F"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't get it.

I really don't, I sat and thought it out. Why? What purpose does this serve at this time?

It should have a purpose if they are going to make it law. I guess I'll have to go dig up the bill and have a look :sigh:.

ETA: are there repurcussions for the parent graded poorly? What impact does this have for the child's education in a positive way?

JMHO but this isn't going to "shame" parents who won't help their child into being more involved (talking about parents who are uninvolved by choice not outside circumstances like working 2 jobs...etc.)

Good questions, Kat. The standards are pretty lenient (a parent has to fail to respond to FIVE requests for communication before it gets noted on the report). Maybe a parent report will serve as a wake-up call for a few.

But we shouldn't be surprised by the almost certain scandal that will erupt the first time some abusive parent breaks a kid's arm for "embarrassing me".

Speaking personally and although my parents attended things like school plays, I barely remember my parents ever going to conferences or talking to my teachers. They never asked whether I had homework. I'm sure they signed my report cards and I knew A's were expected, but I don't remember a big production being made out of it. I even remember my mother once saying, "Why would I punish you for what you did at school? I don't expect your teacher to punish you for what you do at home." (To qualify: I was almost never in trouble at school. Any misbehavior was rare and minor, and--as my mother's reply suggests--I was quick to confess if I did get in trouble.)

HOWEVER, every room in my parents' house was filled with books. All three generations in the family read books and discussed what they were reading at the dinner table. Babies were given magazines with lots of pictures (Life, Look) in their playpens and were read to often as soon as they had the language skills to understand.

Naturally, my siblings and I were good students. Two out of three of us went to an Ivy League college; the third could have gone but she went to a professional school instead.

But how is a teacher to grade that kind of environment?

What I want to know is why don't they grade the teachers? I think the teachers should get tested every five years. There was a time when I couldn't help my kids. They were learning a new math that I didn't know. They weren't allowed to bring home some of the books so unless I was in class with them I couldn't help them. What I use to do when I didn't know, is get the oldest to help the younger ones. The schools have to realize that things are hard today, some parents have 2 or 3 jobs especially single mothers, they just don't have time. I think keeping your kids with a roof over their head, clothed and feed should be a passing grade for a parent.

Whenever there is a merit pay system in use for eductation it creates more problems than it solves, imo.

Despite DD failing miserably on weekly tests and having below standard work due to her dyslexia, she was given a much higher grade than she should have recieved in her end of year report, because teachers are underpaid and some resort to up-grading to get an increase.

We have what's called the NAPLAN test here, where kids in yrs 3, 5, 7 and 9 have to take a test over a few days to measure where they are at. That's what is supposed to be for. But it's not.

The teachers whose classes get a high ranking on the test get an increase in pay and the ones who ranked low will get extra funding for the school to help those students.

The overall scores are listed on the 'my school' website, which will show parents where the school ranks. Parents are often under the assumption that if a school ranks well overall, it must be a great school where kids are getting a great education.

But it doesn't take into account how a child may be feeling ill on testing days, or tired, or having other issues going on for them so the results are skewed. It also doesn't take into account all of the underhanded things schools do to get a higher ranking.
The principal wants the school to look good, and the teachers want a pay increase, so often children who aren't performing well will be asked to stay home on those days, or the tests will get 'lost/stolen'.

At the school my kids previously attended, instead of allowing the STLA teachers to work with struggling kids of all ages, they had them working on preparing for the Naplan test with the yr 3 and 5 kids only. (which they are not allowed to do, but it's done anyway)

So my daughter in year 2, who really needed the extra help wasn't getting it, and would only get it the following year in the months leading up to a Naplan test- which is just too late when we know how important early intervention is.

Since it's been introduced there's been a lot of controversy. And rightly so.

So many teachers wanted to boycott the whole thing, but our PM told them they'd lose their jobs if they did.

I know that teachers are terribly underpaid and that needs to change, but I don't know that this new bill is the answer. Naplan certainly wasn't for us.

JMO

Me at work: Where does your son attend school?
Mother: I don't know. The bus takes him.

I think it's designed with parents like this in mind.

Good questions, Kat. The standards are pretty lenient (a parent has to fail to respond to FIVE requests for communication before it gets noted on the report). Maybe a parent report will serve as a wake-up call for a few.

But we shouldn't be surprised by the almost certain scandal that will erupt the first time some abusive parent breaks a kid's arm for "embarrassing me".

Speaking personally and although my parents attended things like school plays, I barely remember my parents ever going to conferences or talking to my teachers. They never asked whether I had homework. I'm sure they signed my report cards and I knew A's were expected, but I don't remember a big production being made out of it. I even remember my mother once saying, "Why would I punish you for what you did at school? I don't expect your teacher to punish you for what you do at home." (To qualify: I was almost never in trouble at school. Any misbehavior was rare and minor, and--as my mother's reply suggests--I was quick to confess if I did get in trouble.)

HOWEVER, every room in my parents' house was filled with books. All three generations in the family read books and discussed what they were reading at the dinner table. Babies were given magazines with lots of pictures (Life, Look) in their playpens and were read to often as soon as they had the language skills to understand.

Naturally, my siblings and I were good students. Two out of three of us went to an Ivy League college; the third could have gone but she went to a professional school instead.

But how is a teacher to grade that kind of environment?

I don't remember it either, but I know my mom did because when I mentioned going for one of my kids, she said something about them. Like, "We used to have them twice a year." or whatever. Just because I don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen. (More and more often, these days! :innocent: ) The fact that your mom knew when you got in trouble at school even though you were a good kid tells me she would have "passed" this assessment. The parents they are targeting are the ones who not only don't realize their kid is in trouble, but don't care either.

What I want to know is why don't they grade the teachers? I think the teachers should get tested every five years. There was a time when I couldn't help my kids. They were learning a new math that I didn't know. They weren't allowed to bring home some of the books so unless I was in class with them I couldn't help them. What I use to do when I didn't know, is get the oldest to help the younger ones. The schools have to realize that things are hard today, some parents have 2 or 3 jobs especially single mothers, they just don't have time. I think keeping your kids with a roof over their head, clothed and feed should be a passing grade for a parent.

they do. That's how this all got started. The teachers don't want to be graded (which sometimes translates to merit pay, sometimes translates to other things in their employment contract) based on the performance of a kid whose mom needs a registered letter to tell her that her kid is suspended and please don't put him on the bus today! (true story)

Also, it varies by state, but most teachers do have to earn continuing education credits just like nurses and many other professionals.

Yes, times are hard, but if you can't even have a phone conference with the teacher when your child is failing or being a disciplinary problem, then you need to get your priorities straight. I'll bet those same parents find plenty of time to talk with their friends on the phone!

angelmom, my mother knew on those rare occasions when I got in trouble at school because I told her. Failing to do so would have been "lying" in my mind.

I'm sure you're right: she probably did go to conferences now and then. And Fort Lauderdale was a smallish city in those days and we lived in a specific suburb. At least two of my elementary school teachers were family friends.

But once my parents divorced and my mother went back to work (4th grade), I think trips to school were few and far between. (I remember my 5th grade teacher coming to the house a couple of time because my mother couldn't get to school during school hours. They knew each other from church. (I wasn't in trouble. The teacher was trying to get me enrolled in an experimental school.))

Still, I'm sure you are right that my mother and grandparents would have been graded well; they certainly signed forms and responded to the few communications that came from teachers. My point was just that it's nearly impossible to measure the things that matter most in terms of a productive home environment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back