Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love baked potatoes but not from the microwave. I think they taste completely different when cooked in the microwave.

My favorite way to cook them is the James Beard method. Sometimes I only cook them for an hour, if I am short on time.

2 large baking potatoes

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Wash the potatoes well and dry thoroughly. Pierce them several times with the tines of a fork.

2. Place potatoes on the center rack of the hot oven and bake for 2 hours.

3. Remove from oven and cut lengthwise and then across the middle, almost through. The shells will be very crisp and thick and will not squeeze easily. Open the potatoes and mash the inside pulp as best you can with a fork.
That sounds good to me too. I could do 450 degrees, makes sense.
And like I said, I think I’ll just go ahead and pierce them just to be on the safe side.

Question to everyone/anyone:

Did you grow up eating much international food? I don’t know if I’m saying it right, but food of other countries?

I am of Japanese ancestry; my grandparents were from Japan. I grew up eating foods like sashimi (raw fish), sushi, tempura, sukiyaki, etc. But simultaneously, we ate Cantonese Chinese food often as well as Mexican food.

The Chinese food was mostly from a restaurant, but my mom did cook some dishes: chow mein, sweet and sour pork, seaweed soup come to mind.

My parents’ grocery store business was in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, plus where we lived was, too, so that’s where we got familiar with tacos, burritos, soups like cocido, posole, and menudo. And tamales! My dad learned how to make tamales at home, and was pretty good at it! He also made chorizo to sell in the store for his customers.

We were All-American, too, though, eating all the typical things. We celebrated holidays with roast turkey, or prime rib, or baked ham with all the usual side dishes. Every St. Patrick’s Day, we’d have corned beef and cabbage. Ha!

What was others’ experiences like? Did it shape how you eat today?
I love this question!

I grew up with access to rural Ontario when it was much more rich in agriculture. There were more fruit and berry farms, corn fields, livestock, fish markets etc. When I was little, we would go to the bulk stores and my grandfather took me to the Asian market. The owner would give me these little soft orange candies that had cellulose wrap around them. I will never forget those!!

My interest in cooking came from my grandfather mostly. He was always trying new things and watching cooking shows.

Because I am Canadian, we grew up and remain in a place where there are all kinds of foods available. I don't know how authentic or how much it feels like home. To be able to get ingredients and make things that bring comfort. I only know how hard it is to get grits!

Sidenote: I bought some new instant ramen and thought of your post :p These ones are called "Lucky Me" Cantonese ramen. Amazon bargain, $3.75. Idk how good they will be? I saw them on a Youtube video review. The noodles come with seasoning, soya sauce and oil packets. Have you tried or heard of them? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NLM1RYL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love baked potatoes but not from the microwave. I think they taste completely different when cooked in the microwave.

My favorite way to cook them is the James Beard method. Sometimes I only cook them for an hour, if I am short on time.

2 large baking potatoes

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Wash the potatoes well and dry thoroughly. Pierce them several times with the tines of a fork.

2. Place potatoes on the center rack of the hot oven and bake for 2 hours.

3. Remove from oven and cut lengthwise and then across the middle, almost through. The shells will be very crisp and thick and will not squeeze easily. Open the potatoes and mash the inside pulp as best you can with a fork.
I love doing potatoes this way, didn't know it had a name! I also nuke them when I need food ASAP which happens sometimes. True, they are nothing alike (but thank science for microwaves lol).

I really like those little baggies of new potatoes. I get the mix of baby reds, baby yukons and baby blue potatoes. Mashed blue potatoes are so much fun :p (this time of year can be drab and blue potatoes are just a bit of silly fun, even for adults)

Okay, say a prayer! I’m attempting marinara from my tomato patch. They’re Roma, Celebrity & Better Boy. I seeded them this time. I haven’t decided if I’ll can this batch or freeze it. I can always unthaw it and can it later. But I have plenty of freezer space at the moment.

I found all the spices and I bought GF balsamic vinegar. I don’t know if that’s the kind the recipe recommends. But I was overwhelmed with the choices. I went with what is a safe option for us.

The squirrels, I despise them, poked holes in my big fat tomatoes. Grrr! I brought in a bunch that weren’t ripe to try to salvage as many as I can. It’s pouring rain until noon. Then I’m going out to pick some more.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
I love doing potatoes this way, didn't know it had a name! I also nuke them when I need food ASAP which happens sometimes. True, they are nothing alike (but thank science for microwaves lol).

I really like those little baggies of new potatoes. I get the mix of baby reds, baby yukons and baby blue potatoes. Mashed blue potatoes are so much fun :p (this time of year can be drab and blue potatoes are just a bit of silly fun, even for adults)

I love the bags of mixed new potatoes too. They make wonderful mashed potatoes, and are quick and easy since you don’t have to peel them.

I make them in my instant pot. I just put them in the pot, add enough water to cover, and pressure cook on high for ten minutes. Then drain and mash right in the pot with a fork, and add salt, pepper, and butter.

Also I like to use the mixed new potatoes for breakfast potatoes. I cut them in half and then sauté in butter in a skillet along with some diced onions. When they are soft and starting to brown I push them to one side of the skillet and fry or scramble some eggs. Sometimes I add diced peppers or tomatoes too, and often I top with shredded cheese.

The mixed new potatoes are expensive at our grocery stores but I buy them at Costco, where they are much cheaper.

Question to everyone/anyone:

Did you grow up eating much international food? I don’t know if I’m saying it right, but food of other countries?...

What was others’ experiences like? Did it shape how you eat today?
<respectfully snipped>

I've been thinking about your post since I saw it last week. I've been following the Crumbley trial and neglected the foodie thread :oops: Growing up, my siblings and I had very limited exposure to foods of other cultures in our home. Mom made spaghetti, chop suey, shepherd's pie, beef Stroganoff, stuffed cabbage, and we occasionally had takeout pizza, fish & chips, or Chinese. There were pizza places, restaurants that served fish & chips, and a couple of Chinese restaurants nearby, but no other ethnic eateries. My dad was Canadian and brought home peameal bacon whenever he visited his family in Windsor, Ontario. One of my dad's sisters made the French-Canadian pork pie, Tourtiere, that was served with a flavorful onion gravy. It was their mother's recipe; she was from Quebec, so it was an authentic French-Canadian recipe. Mom made it a few times, but I think my dad and I were the only family members who enjoyed it.

There was a little Italian market near our home where I went occasionally when Mom needed something for a recipe. I was fascinated by all the Italian products and especially the deli counter that had meats, cheeses, olives, salads, etc. that I had never known existed. There were also breads and pastries that looked amazing. I had an Italian friend in elementary school whose mother frequented the little Italian market, and I actually got to sample some of the foods at their house. I think that's when I developed an interest and appreciation for Italian cuisine which has always been my favorite. In our travels, DH and I have been fortunate to experience many cuisines - some that I like, and some that I don't. In the U.S., we have many options for exploring the foods of many cultures as most major cities have a vast array of restaurants and markets that feature cuisines from every corner of the globe.

Last edited:
Oh the marinara was delicious. I made a little angel hair pasta so I could taste it. I went out and rescued more tomatoes.

Just when I think that squash plant is gonna croak, it does this. Brussels are trimmed & coming in nicely.

Emptied 3 kiddie pools which was enough soil for the new bed.

Attachments

• IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 7
Has anyone roasted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in the oven?

I'm just trying it for the first time.

Instructions said to dry the beans as much as possible before adding spices, which I did.

Instructions did not mention that any remaining moisture will cause the beans to POP as they cook!

I thought something was wrong with my stove! Fortunately, Google reassured me. But now I wonder if there will be any left on the baking sheet by the time they're done, or if I'll have to collect them from the far corners of the oven... :)

Has anyone roasted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in the oven?

I'm just trying it for the first time.

Instructions said to dry the beans as much as possible before adding spices, which I did.

Instructions did not mention that any remaining moisture will cause the beans to POP as they cook!

I thought something was wrong with my stove! Fortunately, Google reassured me. But now I wonder if there will be any left on the baking sheet by the time they're done, or if I'll have to collect them from the far corners of the oven... :)
Oh so you have exploding food too? Ha! I was using the immersion blender (first time) that my oldest bought me. In case you were unaware, if you don't hold it down in to the cooked tomatoes, your kitchen looks like a homicide occurred. So does your shirt. Just sayin'!

I love this question!

I grew up with access to rural Ontario when it was much more rich in agriculture. There were more fruit and berry farms, corn fields, livestock, fish markets etc. When I was little, we would go to the bulk stores and my grandfather took me to the Asian market. The owner would give me these little soft orange candies that had cellulose wrap around them. I will never forget those!!

My interest in cooking came from my grandfather mostly. He was always trying new things and watching cooking shows.

Because I am Canadian, we grew up and remain in a place where there are all kinds of foods available. I don't know how authentic or how much it feels like home. To be able to get ingredients and make things that bring comfort. I only know how hard it is to get grits!

Sidenote: I bought some new instant ramen and thought of your post :p These ones are called "Lucky Me" Cantonese ramen. Amazon bargain, $3.75. Idk how good they will be? I saw them on a Youtube video review. The noodles come with seasoning, soya sauce and oil packets. Have you tried or heard of them? Amazon.ca
i wonder if the candies you remember from your childhood are these, which are still sold today: Botan Ame Rice Candy? It is also a part of my childhood memories!

Nowadays, it comes with a sticker, but it used to come with tiny plastic toys inside the box. The Japanese soft, chewy candy had (what we called) an edible ‘rice paper‘ around it that melted in your mouth. It was always fun to share it with first-time triers who inevitably would attempt to peel the rice paper off. :D
I admit to having bought a box as an adult, for the nostalgia of it.

I have not seen before those instant noodles you linked. You’ll have to let us know how it tastes! Interestingly, “pancit” is a Filipino word, but it’s called “Pancit Canton”. I hope it’s tasty!
IMG_0243.png

<respectfully snipped>

I've been thinking about your post since I saw it last week. I've been following the Crumbley trial and neglected the foodie thread :oops: Growing up, my siblings and I had very limited exposure to foods of other cultures in our home. Mom made spaghetti, chop suey, shepherd's pie, beef Stroganoff, stuffed cabbage, and we occasionally had takeout pizza, fish & chips, or Chinese. There were pizza places, restaurants that served fish & chips, and a couple of Chinese restaurants nearby, but no other ethnic eateries. My dad was Canadian and brought home peameal bacon whenever he visited his family in Windsor, Ontario. One of my dad's sisters made the French-Canadian pork pie, Tourtiere, that was served with a flavorful onion gravy. It was their mother's recipe; she was from Quebec, so it was an authentic French-Canadian recipe. Mom made it a few times, but I think my dad and I were the only family members who enjoyed it.

There was a little Italian market near our home where I went occasionally when Mom needed something for a recipe. I was fascinated by all the Italian products and especially the deli counter that had meats, cheeses, olives, salads, etc. that I had never known existed. There were also breads and pastries that looked amazing. I had an Italian friend in elementary school whose mother frequented the little Italian market, and I actually got to sample some of the foods at their house. I think that's when I developed an interest and appreciation for Italian cuisine which has always been my favorite. In our travels, DH and I have been fortunate to experience many cuisines - some that I like, and some that I don't. In the U.S., we have many options for exploring the foods of many cultures as most major cities have a vast array of restaurants and markets that feature cuisines from every corner of the globe.
I bet I would have enjoyed your family’s Tourtiere! Sounds so intriguing.

We have an Italian market-deli near us that we go to once in a while, and I love the way it smells in there. How lucky you were to taste some real Italian food as a young girl! My mom’s spaghetti was made from the Lawry’s seasoning packet. Not bad, but I always wished I could taste how a real Italian’s home cooked spaghetti tasted. When I saw The Godfather as a teen, the scene of Clemenza making spaghetti sauce had me fascinated.

Oh the marinara was delicious. I made a little angel hair pasta so I could taste it. I went out and rescued more tomatoes.

Just when I think that squash plant is gonna croak, it does this. Brussels are trimmed & coming in nicely.

Emptied 3 kiddie pools which was enough soil for the new bed.
Have you tried roasted tomatoes? Cherry and plum (Roma) varieties work best and are delicious when roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil (dry or fresh). Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet, toss with olive oil and the seasonings, and roast at 375* for 15-20 minutes. If you're using Romas, they usually need about a half hour.

@PayrollNerd Nice work with the marinara, I am sure it was delicious!! Just FYI which you likely already know, you CAN pick your tomatoes off before they ripen, wrap them in some brown paper and store them somewhere cool.

@IceIce9 I know nothing of the Instant Pot, just that it is apparently fabulous. I make those potatoes the same way with eggs for breakfast! I like to press them down while they are in the pan and make them a bit crispy but "smashed". I agree, they are not economical. Until recently, I had been buying the small bags of Yukon Gold bc I'm one person and tend to carry my groceries home ok a weekly basis so I found it easier, back when they were $2.99 on sale. Now, they're typically about $5. The 5 and 10 LB bags are the same price. Cannot justify it anymore, unless they're blue of course!

Never really come across full grown blue potatoes, always the baby ones.

@Auntie Cipation I think maybe turn the heat down a touch? I've roasted chickpeas in the oven for a snack a ton of times. I usually rinse and dry them really well. Then I coat them in olive oil and some sea salt and chili powder but that's preference. You can put a sheet of foil or parchment over the top to stop any strays from popping off the baking sheet. But def turn the heat down a bit and they will dry out slower and prevent that exploding.

@slowpoke Yes!!!! Those are the candies! Rice paper! Could not recall the name for it lol. Those were SO GOOD, I'm so happy to see them again, thank you so much for that :D

The Cantonese noodles were delicious, I would recommend them 100%. I was kind of laughing to myself about the name, as it said "Canton" assuming Cantonese but then it's ramen... but it's not called that? Plus there are other packets...? The flavour was really good tho, the soy sauce had molasses so it had that sweet, hickory sort of base. They'd be really good with beef or chicken with broccoli.

I am considering hoarding these noodles :p A pack of 6 at about $4 plus a dozen eggs makes a cheap meal which I am all about right now.

@BetteDavisEyes Interesting that AFAIK, peameal bacon/ "Canadian bacon" is not that common here.

Now I need to make a snack... Maybe some Cheez Its?? ;)

I was born and raised in (and have now returned to) Yorkshire, in England, and one of my key achievements in the first lockdown of 2020 was to actually learn how to make proper home-made Yorkshire Puddings! Prior to that it was inferior frozen ones, or distant memories of the ones my mother made.

I was born and raised in (and have now returned to) Yorkshire, in England, and one of my key achievements in the first lockdown of 2020 was to actually learn how to make proper home-made Yorkshire Puddings! Prior to that it was inferior frozen ones, or distant memories of the ones my mother made.
Yorkshire pudding—yum!
You might enjoy this article and recipe by Kenji Lopez-Alt (I love Kenji) about Yorkshire Pudding. It’s an interesting read, as he tests different methods to examine the differences in how they turn out.
I enjoyed the comments by readers under the article, too.

What are your tips?

Yesterday I wavered between making cookies, or pie. The pie won.

This morning I made a Greek omelette with spinach & tomatoes from the garden. I couldn’t eat much of it. Had a sausage biscuit too. Now I’m stuffed.

I really like the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. I can bake 2-4 at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online