Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here on pie crusts. We always used Crisco for making cookies too.
I still have my old Crisco cookbook from the early 70’s, and still use some recipes from there.
We rarely had real butter in the house, too expensive? But that was fine with me since I didn’t like it, lol.
I’ve read that Lard is one of the healthiest fats for baking, and though no longer make my own pie crusts, I do always try to buy the premade frozen ones made with lard.
I remember in 7th grade Home Ec class we were taught how to measure Crisco using the “water displacement” method. To measure one cup of Crisco we would use a two cup measuring cup, with one cup of cold water inside. Then we added small scoops of Crisco until the water reached the two cup mark. Then pour off the water and voilà! You have one cup of Crisco.

Our Home Ec teacher explained that this was a more accurate method of measuring Crisco than a measuring cup because some of the Crisco would stick to the inside of the cup, and you would have less than a full cup for your recipe.

I was very happy when Crisco sticks came out.

I remember in 7th grade Home Ec class we were taught how to measure Crisco using the “water displacement” method. To measure one cup of Crisco we would use a two cup measuring cup, with one cup of cold water inside. Then we added small scoops of Crisco until the water reached the two cup mark. Then pour off the water and voilà! You have one cup of Crisco.

Our Home Ec teacher explained that this was a more accurate method of measuring Crisco than a measuring cup because some of the Crisco would stick to the inside of the cup, and you would have less than a full cup for your recipe.

I was very happy when Crisco sticks came out.
You’re so right! I learned the same method and had forgotten all about it!
Home EC was my favorite class, and I think the only class that I got straight A’s in, well except for art class. Let’s just say I wasn’t very studious when I was younger, lol.

You’re so right! I learned the same method and had forgotten all about it!
Home EC was my favorite class, and I think the only class that I got straight A’s in, well except for art class. Let’s just say I wasn’t very studious when I was younger, lol.
I loved Home Ec too, and at our school we had the cutest little mini kitchens set up. Each kitchen featured a different color scheme with a full size range, sink, a few cabinets and drawers, and counter space.

There was a central “shopping” area with a refrigerator and cubbies where we would “shop” for the ingredients we needed for our recipes.

Randall Beans cookbooks were available for free if you wrote to the company and requested them. Looks like the various bean cookbooks can be downloaded now. Lots of good recipes, and we have always loved Randall Great Northern Beans.

You know, thinking on it…I don’t think I‘ve ever had Great Northern Beans. I have a feeling they aren’t as prevalent here In So Cal, maybe? Are they like pinto beans?

Happy Paczki Day! Happy Mardi Gras! Happy Fat Tuesday! I have an appointment with my ophthalmologist later this morning, after which we'll stop at Nino's for paczki (poonch-key). Nino's sells individual paczki along with boxes of six. I like the cannoli filling, but DH doesn't like paczki at all. Our cleaning lady will be here when we get home, so I'll get one for her, too. We're not going out for Valentine's Day (Ash Wednesday) but will likely go to Picano's on Thursday.

Last edited:
You know, thinking on it…I don’t think I‘ve ever had Great Northern Beans. I have a feeling they aren’t as prevalent here In So Cal, maybe? Are they like pinto beans?
The small white beans are sometimes called Navy beans. When cooked, they are quite mild and a bit firmer than Italian cannellini (white) beans.

DETROIT – Each year on the day before Ash Wednesday, people across the nation (and elsewhere in the world) celebrate Fat Tuesday: A day of indulgence before the start of Lent.

But here in the richly diverse Metro Detroit area, we know this day as Paczki Day.

What was once just a tradition in Poland has become a Polish-American tradition celebrated in communities around the country -- especially here in Michigan, and especially right here in Metro Detroit. Polish immigrants who settled in the U.S. brought the annual tradition of Paczki Day, or Tłusty Czwartek, with them.

And, lucky for us Michiganders, a significant number of Polish immigrants settled in Hamtramck, Detroit, Saginaw and Grand Rapids, and have since shared their culture and treats with nearby communities...

Here northern and navy are two distinct separate beans, northern are the size of pintos but white. Navy are small, white pea sized beans. They all have a similar flavor. I almost always have some of each in my pantry. They are great for a meatless meal. Of course I flavor them with ham.

I just sent Mr Pirate off for some delicious Paczki. Raspberry, lemon and Bavarian cream. Back in the day you could get prune, which were so good.
Nino's actually had prune paczki, but I went with my favorite cannoli cream. They had quite an assortment with lots of "singles", but there was also someone packing boxes of six paczki as customers made their selections.

Nino's actually had prune paczki, but I went with my favorite cannoli cream. They had quite an assortment with lots of "singles", but there was also someone packing boxes of six paczki as customers made their selections.
I’ve never had paczki, but they sure look delicious. How is it different from a jelly donut? They have a very similar appearance.

I must sound sheltered, ignorant or deprived, never having had Great Northern beans or paczki, huh. lolol
lol.gif
redface3.gif

But I AM enjoying learning about these new-to-me food items!

I loved Home Ec too, and at our school we had the cutest little mini kitchens set up. Each kitchen featured a different color scheme with a full size range, sink, a few cabinets and drawers, and counter space.

There was a central “shopping” area with a refrigerator and cubbies where we would “shop” for the ingredients we needed for our recipes.
We had Home Ec too! A mini "store" and little kitchens that were all vintage/retro style appliances :) I remember my first sewing project was a canvas tote!

I’ve never had paczki, but they sure look delicious. How is it different from a jelly donut? They have a very similar appearance.

I must sound sheltered, ignorant or deprived, never having had Great Northern beans or paczki, huh. lolol
lol.gif
redface3.gif

I actually don’t care for paczki as much as a good jelly donut. I have tried many different variations of paczki and they are heavier and more greasy than a donut. But we are probably spoiled because we have some excellent Amish bakeries here that provide us with extremely light donuts that are stuffed full of good homemade jam, jelly, or filling made with real butter and fresh cream.

I actually don’t care for paczki as much as a good jelly donut. I have tried many different variations of paczki and they are heavier and more greasy than a donut. But we are probably spoiled because we have some excellent Amish bakeries here that provide us with extremely light donuts that are stuffed full of good homemade jam, jelly, or filling made with real butter and fresh cream.
I’m not normally a pastry person. But yesterday we stopped at Detwilers, our market run by the local Mennonite community. Their peach danish pastry was the size of my hand. I warmed it this morning and had it with my tea. It was divine!

Here northern and navy are two distinct separate beans, northern are the size of pintos but white. Navy are small, white pea sized beans. They all have a similar flavor. I almost always have some of each in my pantry. They are great for a meatless meal. Of course I flavor them with ham.
I love white beans in chili. Cannellini beans are my favorite but I usually use cannellini and great northern beans.

lol.gif
redface3.gif

Paczki Day is also known as Fat Tuesday. Paczkis are very heavy - not light and airy like a regular jelly donut. They sit in your belly like a lump of lead! They are also sickeningly sweet as paczki are covered in sweet icing. I've never liked sweet breakfast pastries like donuts or Danish, but I will eat one paczki each year on the day before Ash Wednesday.

Happy Valentine's Day! Do you have special plans? We're staying home and will have grilled salmon with asparagus. I have my annual physical tomorrow and don't want to eat a huge meal or have wine tonight. Weather permitting, we will probably go out tomorrow for our Valentine's Day dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueJayJay71